Code of Conduct

Question Saying Hi & looking for recommendations beyond the generic

Hi there, I found this site recommended on a few shave forums after getting fed up with poor and irritating shaves. It's a bit overwhelming for someone not even up to speed on the major brands; I have no idea what's popular now, and I get the impression from the boards here that it's a good thing =).

Anyway, I need some guidance on what to sample and test, as I'm too inexperienced to know what will suit me yet. I'll throw out a bunch of descriptors and hope that the knowledgeable members here will be able to choose a cologne with my type of character. I'm 24 years old, and my tastes run towards the more sophisticated and subtle, as I'm definitely not a manly-man. I am athletic (road/mountain biking and running) and am a huge indie rock fan. Think skinny, athletic hipster, if such a thing makes sense. Other interests include graphic and industrial design, fountain pens, and computers. I've been called a geek and/or snob, which is true in that I pay very close attention to what kinds of things and ideas I surround myself with—although I'm extremely laid back and get along well with damn near anyone who takes the time to get to know me.

I'm looking for something that won't yell across a room, but will pique interest if a person (attractive girl hopefully) gets close. Something unique, something with character. I would appreciate any recommendations, for all situations—everyday scents, summer, winter, spring/fall, evening date scents... throw them at me! I'm in Vancouver BC if that affects availability at all.
    Last edited by ryaninbc; 22nd May 2007 at 03:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Saying Hi & looking for recommendations beyond the generic

Hello and welcome!!

It is very hard to decide on a scent for a person without knowledge of their previous scents. It is easiest when we can compare the notes of a fragrance and find you new ones. I can give you a huge list that will take you a year to get through but you are going to need to do much more work that way. If you have owned anything in the past then let me know. If you havn't found anything you really liked then I will just make you a list and you can go through finding what you suits you the most.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    Hello and welcome!!

It is very hard to decide on a scent for a person without knowledge of their previous scents. It is easiest when we can compare the notes of a fragrance and find you new ones. I can give you a huge list that will take you a year to get through but you are going to need to do much more work that way. If you have owned anything in the past then let me know. If you havn't found anything you really liked then I will just make you a list and you can go through finding what you suits you the most.
    Problem is, the only thing I have is Lacoste Essential. It's a nice everyday, fresh summery type scent, but after the citrusy notes fade it's a bit bland. I do have a sample of Truefitt and Hill's West Indies Lime, and I think I quite like a lime note in the summer, not that they tend to last long.

I'm thinking I might try the sample program at The Vancouver Perfume Shoppe and start from there. A list of scents that would cover the bases would be very helpful though!

Post Thanks / Like

Try the Montales. No questions asked, just go try them. You may not like them, but at least you gave them a try. A couple that stick out: Black Aoud and Aoud Lime.
    Give Mugler COLOGNE a try if you get a chance. Just try out some scents, then tell us what you did/didn't like.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I second Montale recommendation;Black Aoud is a brilliant scent.
    For everyday all weather a couple come to mind-Platinum Egoiste & Kiton Men.

Try to check out some scents from Comme des Garçons. You mentioned you're into Indie Rock, and Comme des Garçons is really the indie-house in the world of fragrances. Not indie as unusual, but indie in their approach to scents. Most of their creations are really something extra, with lots of character. As a computer nerd you could go for Odeur 53, with the smell of electricity, for example. Try your way, but give Comme de garçons a chance, from your description of yourself, I think they might be right up your alley...
    Arte et labore

Off-Scenter

I agree that the Montale Aouds are very much worth trying if you're after something "different." Comme des Garcons, too. The Montales are generally not subtle scents, however, and in my experience many of them will broadcast across a room. A few other lines to try out:

Diptyque - especially L'Ombre dans l'Eau (anytime), Opone, Tam Dao, and Eau Lente (fall/winter).

L'Artisan Parfumeur - especially Dzongkha (anytime, subtle, exotic), Dzing! (anytime), Fou d'Absinthte (anytime), and Mechant Loup (fall/winter).

Lorenzo Villoresi - especially Piper Nigrum (fall/winter) and Yerbamate (anytime).

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Santal Noble (must-try), Baime (spring/summer), Garrigue (anytime), and Ambre Precieux (anytime).

Lubin's Idole de Lubin (anytime).

Frederic Malle - especially Noir Epices (fall/winter or evenings), Cologne Bigarade (spring/summer), and French Lover (anytime).

Yes, that's a lot, but then that's what makes testing fun!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 26th May 2007 at 05:09 PM.

Well I put in a sample order for the scents below, I'll post my impressions once I get them!

Montale Black Aoud
    Montale Aoud Lime
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Divine L'Homme de Coeur
    L'Artisan Tea For Two
    L'Artisan Vetiver
    Miller et Bertaux #2
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble
    Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate