Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I want an ancient scent

That is very interesting, Moon Fish. I would like to have smelled some of that Oud oil he showed you (the undiluted version).

I never denied the possibility that the Aouds might contain some Oud (just as Creed's Original Santal obviously cannot be altogether devoid of real sandalwood oil).

It's just that the Oud note in the Aouds is too blunt and one-dimensional for my taste (and reminds me of that incense from Dubai!).

And this is explained by what Montale himself told you regarding the origin of his Aoud ingredient -- that it comes from an agarwood plantation in Cambodia. What that means, Moon Fish, is that Montale uses cultivated Oud in his Aoud line.

That is a totally different ball game from the agarwood that's infected naturally in the jungle, matures for (at times) up to forty or fifty years, and then collapses when the resin has permeated the whole trunk.

Very different aroma. You can get cultivated Oud oil online from Eden Botanicals. It reminds me of the iodine-filled sea breeze I used to savor as a child on the seashore. Very salty fragrance.

In any case, thanks a million, Moon Fish. I was very curious about Montale's Aoud ingredient, and you have quenched my curiosity. I will be on the lookout for some cultivated Cambodian Oud oil. (Or pay Montale a visit in his Paris boutique!)

Oud Man
    Last edited by Oud Man; 23rd May 2007 at 05:40 AM.

I second both Timbuktu and Tabac Blond.

Here are some others to try.

Guerlain ~ Habit Rouge EDP ( this has a sublime oud note in the base instead of the vanilla overdose thats in the original. Also, unlike the agarwood in many of the Montales, this oud doesn't smell cheap/low grade.)

MPG ~ Soir d'Orient (ditto what i said above about the oud. This one is hard to find. I bought some from Diane >> Buffalo_Gals / Dragonfly00.)

Idole de Lubin
    L'Artisan ~ Dzongkha
    MPG ~ Eau des Illes / Santal Noble
    Ormonde Jayne ~ Man
    Parfumerie Generale ~ Harmatan Noir / Iris Taizo / Coze
    Tauer ~ L'Air du Dessert Marocain
    CdG Incense ~ Kyoto / Zagorsk
    SMN ~ Pot-Pourri

Also,if you haven't tried Green Papua, Sweet China and Oud Shuyukh by Oriscent, i highly recommend them. These three will take you away!
    Last edited by ajmc; 23rd May 2007 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Actually historical religious/prophetic figures have always been associated with and worn fragrances. Jesus was regularly annnointed with fragrant oil blends (frankincense, myrrh, spikenard, cinnamon, etc.) and the Prophet Muhammad supposedly loved perfumes and regularly wore rose and musk blends. In India most deities are associated with a particular plant fragrance, and the Hindu prophet Krishna is said to have smelled like sandalwood and/or patchouli.

Alternately, many early Greek philosophers actually frowned on perfumery, saying that it caused ones mind to weaken and promoted lust.
    Oops, did I have that backwards? Oh well, enough reefer for me today.

Oud Man -
    I was under the impression that it was a fungus that causes the natural resin response that produces Oud, not insects. Maybe in Dubai, they have access to real Oud oils, and maybe that's what they dip their incense sticks in. Just thoughts...
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Also,if you haven't tried Green Papua, Sweet China and Oud Shuyukh by Oriscent, i highly recommend them. These three will take you away!
    AJMC, I've tried all of these. My all time favorite is Borneo 3000, and the very recent Oud Sulaiman.

I saw this on their site sometime last week. It was on for only one day, and then it disappeared. Stunning crystal flacon.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    Oud Man -
    I was under the impression that it was a fungus that causes the natural resin response that produces Oud, not insects. Maybe in Dubai, they have access to real Oud oils, and maybe that's what they dip their incense sticks in. Just thoughts...
    - Rich
    Rich, that is absolutely correct. Oud does originate from a fungal infection, but that fungal infection originates from an insect boring into the trunk of the tree.

And yes, they do have access to real Oud oil in Dubai, but they dilute it heavily and blend it with all sorts of fillers and diluting agents to cut costs and increase profit.

I've spoken with the heads of several major businesses there (can't name them here), and they will all admit that they mix their Ouds with other stuff to bring costs down.

In no way can a $40 box of incense be dipped in real Oud oil.

Alas, I started this thread looking for something to wear alongside my Oud oils, and the discussion has totally gone in the wrong direction.
    Last edited by Oud Man; 23rd May 2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Man View Post
    I've spoken with the heads of several major businesses there (can't name them here), and they will all admit that they mix their Ouds with other stuff to bring costs down.
    So its similar to the way sandalwood oil in most fragrances is mixed with cedar ("an adulterant") to bring costs down.
    -