Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default How can you tell if its right for you

How can you tell if a fragrance is right for you? how can you be sure if it works with your body chemistry? and how does this body chemistry/fragrance mix work? i was hoping someone could help me find a fragrance that will work with me...

Default Re: How can you tell if its right for you

Only you can decide when you think that a fragrance works for you/ with your skin chemistry. Each persons natural body oils are different and can react differently with each fragrance and the ingredients in them. There is no way to really be sure it works. It will always work, but sometimes your skin will change the scent to something you don't like. It is up to you to decide.

Hey welcome to basenotes.

To determine wheter a frag is right for you or not, you have to determine what kind of notes you will like your scent to have. The only way to determine is by testing various frags and getting a sense of what you like and do not like. As far as skin chemistry goes, each person has certain scents that will last longer and give off certain notes of the fragnance better. Testing again is a way for you to determine what scents will last hours on you and the ones which will fade away.

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes! I agree, just sample many different kinds of fragrances to determine what works well with your chemistry. And keep in mind that there will always be exceptions to the rule. Like, if you sample a lot of scents & determine that florals aren't for you, don't discount florals altogether. Most likely, there's a floral out there that would work amazingly with your chemistry.

Also, don't base your decisions solely on what OTHER PEOPLE like. In the end, it's YOU who has to live with smelling your frag all day . I know that there are thousands of fragrances out there, & that just beginning your scented journey may seem like a daunting task. But once you have a good idea of what frags typically work well on you, it becomes a lot easier to seek out certain scents.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

For many years, I have bought 2 ladies in my life perfume at Christmas time: they always say how wonderful it is...
    But Basenotes has opened my eyes, since I realise that I actually buy my colognes for myself, and not for others. It's whether *I* like the smell I have, I have no interest in what others might think, though I suppose it's nice to get compliments! I now have to apply this new found rule to my present giving, so I've resolved I won't ever buy them perfume again!!! Who knows what they have really thought about the perfumes I've been choosing for them.
    Last edited by alpine; 23rd May 2007 at 08:43 PM.

A note on sampling: I would suggest starting with some classics that have stood the test of time. While some of the newer fragrances will become classics, hundreds of them will disappear without being missed.

In general, by reading about fragrances, what notes they have, what people who seem to have similar or very different opinions and likes/dislikes have to say, paying attention to notes and houses you like or dislike, you will start to get an idea of what will work for you. Even then, you will have to try it out to know for sure.

When I try a fragrance, how do I know if it works for me? Well, sometimes a fragrance is beautiful, but I feel that it is wearing me. Sometimes I find it distracting, and not in a way I like. Sometimes it isn't the idea I want to project, or reminds me of something I'd rather it not,

Other times a fragrance will develop into a smell all my own on my skin; sometimes I feel that the scent is almost a part of me even though it clearly is not, or expresses something about me. Then I know it works.

Go forth and test! You never know until it sits on you for a bit... and they smell different on every person. I once bought an ex Marc Jacobs Blush and it smelled fantastic on her: honesuckle and a touch of a vanilla. A friend of mine tried it and it smelled like carnations in formaldehyde (ok, not really, but you get the idea )
    You never know til ya try! and it sure can be fun trying
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    sometimes a fragrance is beautiful, but I feel that it is wearing me. Sometimes I find it distracting, and not in a way I like. Sometimes it isn't the idea I want to project, or reminds me of something I'd rather it not,

Other times a fragrance will develop into a smell all my own on my skin; sometimes I feel that the scent is almost a part of me even though it clearly is not, or expresses something about me. Then I know it works.
    Bravo! I've been on a fragrance quest for about a year now, and you've expressed this so eloquently. Best of luck to my fellow traveler. It's a long, long road!

If you receive compliments THEN you know that your chemistry suits the scent well..

If after 5 hours you can detect the scent and still like it.. Then for me its a keeper!!!
    Last edited by deck89; 15th August 2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling