Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Noir Epices (Frédéric Malle) - haven't heard of you recently!

I've got the impression that Noir Epices is a widely loved and highly acclaimed fragrance here, but I haven't heard something about it recently around here. Is it because summertime has come? The reviews, many of them brilliant ones, have pointed out that colder temperatures might be more suitable for wearing it.

Well, my only Malle so far is Musc Ravageur, but I'm interested in wether you can recommendate sampling (or buying) Noir Epices, too. The whole discourse about it being "daring" and "intellectual" has raised my attention quite a bit. Are there any new insights on Noir Epices? As usual I'm thankful in advance.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Noir Epices (Frédéric Malle) - haven't heard of you recently!

I've got nothing to add to my review. Noir Epices is outstanding. I will buy a bottle when my decant runs out. I prefer it in cold weather, and I find it rather formal, though not stuffy.

A great dark and rustic undercurrent. Cool as the other side of your pillow.

Edit: I don't like it as much as I once did, but it's still the best oriental version of Diorella ever made.
    Last edited by pluran; 26th January 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: V20GMid

Alas, the 5 ml sample sits in my drawer without much airplay...somehow it just reminds me of potpourri. But I agree it can be rather dark.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    Alas, the 5 ml sample sits in my drawer without much airplay...somehow it just reminds me of potpourri. But I agree it can be rather dark.
    For potpourri I'd go for Diptyque's L'Eau, though the fragrance is lot better than potpourri.
    Last edited by pluran; 26th January 2012 at 09:19 AM.

An excellent fragrance. My favorite Malle scent. IMO I do not feel it is just for colder temps. I think it works well in a number of situations...dressed up or casual.

I tested Noir Epices recently and one take was all it took to make my want list. Rivals Musc Ravageur as my favorite Malle. I was holding out for fall but I'll probably cave in and buy it sooner. I have discovered that light applications of fragrances I ususally find better suited for cooler climates work very well for me in warmer weather.

I haven't changed my opinion since I wrote my review...it's my favorite Malle and has long been in my top five fragrances.

DesGrieux, have you written to Malle for a sample? They are great for suppling huge samples. Wonderful customer relations.

I note with interest that others like NE in fall and winter. Maybe I should too, because that's when I first bought it. A little of it goes a long way. Together with Musk Ravageur it had been a big attention getter, the opposite of modest and quiet, and actually rather cold. But MR was the one that won the hearts. Because of NE's enormous sillage I consider it well suited for outside activities and the summer. There is no air conditioning in central Europe but NE and Vetiver Ice belong to those colognes which give me the feeling of freshness.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th April 2008 at 06:07 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I love Noir Epices. It was one of the free samples I received after completing the questionnaire on the Malle website (the other was Fleur un Cassie), and I've replenished my stock since then. I find it quite fascinating; at times it seems cool and distant, then I catch it suddenly exuding a welcoming spicy warmth. I think the changing characteristic depends how near you nose is to the source on your skin. I would wear it any time I felt like it, as I do with any other frgarance.

Count me in as a lover also.It came as a bonus with my samples of MR and VE and at first I did not care much about it.But after a few wearings it became the surprising winner of the three.As Sestra mentioned brilliantly, sometimes cool and dark and suddenly warmth of the spices embrace you like an invincible aura.No need to mention the outstanding longevity and sillage.
    Also it is the only fragrance that my father in law complimented at a very formal dinner.I accept this as something good.LOL.

On hot days, NE just exudes too much here in no-AC Europe (I second the above comment). But it's just about the only cold, dark, intellectual total spice attack scent out there, and my DH is nutty for it in winter. It's unique. We love it.

I have a bottle of Musc Ravageur

I am thinking about Noir Epices (other candidates are Vetiver Extraordinaire, Une fleur de cassie, French Lover)
    Noir epice smells like refined professor or fat chic ladies in the theatre...It's really a lesson in style
    Last edited by DreamerII; 23rd May 2007 at 05:23 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Funny enough, it is my SOTD and I find it works just as well for me in warmer or cooler weather, one of the few Malle's that I do not have a problem with longevity or sillage.

One of my favs. I'm not into leaving a jet stream of scent behind me so I've learned to use less than with others because it does leave a wake. And it lingers on your clothes as well. Despite its strong presence, it comes across as formal and aloof (a challenge to the nose to come in for more..) retrained and elegant.
    This is one I'll replace when I run out.

If you like orange and roses, NE might as well be your Holy Grail. Excellent projection and longevity. It is one of those fragrances that I need to be fairly light on the trigger.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

About the concentration of oils in Noir Epice:

in les senteurs the juice is brighter and PV is 12,5%

http://shop.lessenteurs.com/index.ht...=2049&brandID=

in frederic malle the juice is darker and AV is 16.8%
    http://www.editionsdeparfums.com/mallesite_gb/index.htm
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The only Malle I've bought two bottles of. Cool as the other side of your pillow. Serious, dry, focused, metallic, deep, evolves, smooth spice (incl. adequate pepper) glows softly into the woody balsamic base of patchouli, cedar, sandalwood.

Its nature matches fall and has an undercurrent of rusticism rather than melancholy.

One of the few fragrances I can wear every day.

This is the fragrance that kicked my Terre d'Hermes out of my rotation (95% full pure parfum). To be fair though, I am struggling to decide which is better Noir Epices or Portrait of a Lady. I like the opening of Noir better, and although the drydown is a warm woody base, there seems to be that extra little kick that POAL offers.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    I am struggling to decide which is better Noir Epices or Portrait of a Lady.
    I would take Noir Epices any day over Portrait of a Lady.

Great scent. Did 2 sprays to the neck once while driving and had to pull over at a gas station and wash it off because i couldnt breath.
    Want to trade - Tauer LddM for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Gucci Envy....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Green Irish Tweed
    Aventus...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I would take Noir Epices any day over Portrait of a Lady.
    Me too.

I like this. It reminded me of Coromandel.