Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Terre d'Hermès: A Jolting Reassessment

So here's the deal (now where have we heard that?):

I purchased TdH at its inauguration a little over a week ago and have worn it every day since. Though initially I had claimed to be somewhat lukewarm about it, I have had ample time to come to my senses.

TdH is all about pepper, grapefruit and a good measure of cedar thrown in as a grounding agent for this elixir. TdH is totally understated yet present enough to be highly mysterious and enticingly woody (somewhat similar to Tam Dao?). Who smells so good? I heard today.

TdH also boasts a touch of incense and a little mustiness in the backdrop. TdH literally hugs the skin at all times. The finish, after many hours, is candy sweet yet very bright, taking on a new dimension of airiness.

What I really appreciate about TdH is that I can stand next to someone and not feel that I am drowning them in fragrance; it remains highly comforting and sophisticated yet easy-going enough to be an everyday wear.

And never have I had so many compliments at the office (should I be spoiling them at the office?). Some of my (female) coworkers have literally careened into my space begging me to let them come closer. They claim it spills over into the hallway yet I smell nothing or next to nothing. Just a trace in my clothing.

Granted, this critique is simplistic at best I know. But for those of you who haven't yet made the detour - wherever you live - please give this one a sincere try. I'm confident you will agree how refreshing it is. An equivalent to Eau des Merveilles, perhaps. Judge for yourselves.

M7, Mémoire d'Homme, Body Kouros, Kenzo Air, L'Eau Bleue d'Issey, Anarchiste, Dior Homme, L'Instant are some of the others that have been overwhelmingly popular with me and my entourage in recent years, yet nothing has equaled Terre d'Hermès.

A positive and totally unexpected reaction from strangers is the best testimony of a successful fragrance, wouldn't you say?

Just picked up the Body Gel and Underarm Stick. Will report tomorrow.

Mario

Why So Serious?

Default Re: Terre d'Hermès: A Jolting Reassessment

I agree with every word that you said, i'm one of the hardcore fans of this new gem. But there's no way we are going to convince Serpent, lol. I hope this thread does not get into another debating ground.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I can't wait to try this, but would anyone like to make a quick comparison of TdH with Equipage, Bel Ami, and Orange Verte in terms of subtlety, uniquenes, and which is better for summer wear or winter wear?

In other words, what is the most subtle to the least subtle (cloying or more cloying than the others), what is the order of most unique to least unique, and what occasion do people where these three fragrances?

Thanks

I love this stuff. It is so good I do not think any words are needed to describe.

I found the opening very pleasant, but then it gets a bit too fruity for me - not just grapefruit, but fig and perhaps mango. Interesting, better than many other new fragrances, but I wouldn't buy it.

i have bought a 50 ml bottle despite the bad reviews here i really like this new hermes creation sometimes i think that so many people sadly appreciate only popular and usual stuff imho the only two men fragrances lately launched are dior homme and this one and i forget lanvin harpege pour homme

Quote Originally Posted by youngscholar
    I can't wait to try this, but would anyone like to make a quick comparison of TdH with Equipage, Bel Ami, and Orange Verte in terms of subtlety, uniquenes, and which is better for summer wear or winter wear?

In other words, what is the most subtle to the least subtle (cloying or more cloying than the others), what is the order of most unique to least unique, and what occasion do people where these three fragrances?

Thanks
    TdH is wonderful and I don't think one can count the recent sour grapes ranting as a review. *I have worn the sample I picked up in Palm Beach a little over a week ago several times now and adore it.

While none of the three scents you mention, Young Scholar, is shy or retiring, I would rank them from mildest to strongest in this order: *Eau d'Orange Verte, Equipage, Bel Ami.

Both Equipage and Bel Ami smell somewhat dated to me, a bit geezerish. Equipage was a 1970 launch and is retro OK -- a spicy, mossy, aromatic floral. It is a dressy fragrance demanding some formality. Bel Ami and me [grammar intentional] do not get along. It's a typical "80's powerhouse," even though classier than most -- strong, loud, never fading; crisp citrus over a spicy, leather-tinged, aromtatic, almost oriental foundation. It's my least favorite of the three and the most urban.

The genderless Eau d'Orange Verte is quite sharp and bright but far less assertive. Smells like a total citrus melange -- flowers, fruit and leaves. The tropical mango and papaya notes are quite uplifting and tangy. The mint gives a tonic freshness and the moss and patchouli add character and mellow warmth. *It is my favorite of these three and it is one of the more interesting citrus scents available. Although it, too, was launched in the 70's, Eau d'Orange Verte has a fresh and zesty naturalness that makes it timelessly appealing and casually modern. *I think it is more masculine than feminine. Only drawback is that like most citrus scents, it is not terribly long lasting. One must almost treat it as a body splash and keep reapplying every hour or two. *Like all Hermès fragrances, it is elegant but this is the relaxed elegance of the Côte d'Azur. In fact, it can be worn in the sun without photsensitivity and it won't stain clothing either so you can douse your baithing suit cover-up enabling you to march confidently into town for a gelatto after a day of sunning aboard your Monogasque-moored yacht.

notes below:

Equipage --

Top note : *Clary Sage, Rosewood, Orange, Mace *
    Middle note : *Carnation, Cinnamom, Pine Needle, Lily of the valley *

Base note : *Moss, Tonka, Patchouli, Vetiver *

Bel Ami --

Top note : *Lemon, Petitgrain, Mandarin, Clary Sage *
    Middle note : *Basil, Orris, Carnation, Patchouli *

Base note : *Vetiver, Castoreum, Styrax, Vanilla

Eau d'Orange Vert --

Top note : *Orange, Lemon, Mandarin, Orange Blossom *
    Middle note : *Mint, Papaya, Mango *

Base note : *Patchouli, Oakmoss *

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift
    I don't think one can count the recent sour grapes ranting as a review. *
    Why doesn't it suffice to say that you disagree with a previous review?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    [quote author=sanddrift link=1143174536/0#6 date=1143204740]I don't think one can count the recent sour grapes ranting as a review. *
    Why doesn't it suffice to say that you disagree with a previous review?[/quote]

my scentiment exactly! although in my head it's much less polite. ;D

i think serpent is a gifted reviewer!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCure
    [quote author=DustB link=1143174536/0#7 date=1143218217][quote author=sanddrift link=1143174536/0#6 date=1143204740]I don't think one can count the recent sour grapes ranting as a review. *
    Why doesn't it suffice to say that you disagree with a previous review?[/quote]

my scentiment exactly! although in my head it's much less polite. *;D

i think serpent is a gifted reviewer![/quote]

edited by moderator:

flaming/personal attacks are not tolerated

Quote Originally Posted by TheCure

i think serpent is a gifted reviewer!
    Well, that's one opinion. He was right in some way about JC releasing the same citrus fragrances all the time, although ,a little less drama would have been sufficient to explain he didn't like it.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift
    One can certainly be negative or judge something unworthy for a variety of reasons -- even a mixture of mostly highly subjective ones *-- but certain standards of propriety and intellectual honesty are a good thing to maintain.

S may well be a gifted reviewer but disproportionate emotionality and hystrionics are distracting at best and only bring into question the real drivers behind it , such as having an ax to grind or a chip on one's shoulder or unacknowledged envy, for example.

Further, the repeated quasi-cursing seemed uncalled for -- a weird admixture of *mean-sprited and cute, or kute. Just struck a wrong note all together in the context of a 'review.'

A loss of all objectivity and too much ferocity (unrelated to passion) can easily render something more a rant than a review in many people's books -- and toxic and unpleasant, too.

I am not the only one who found the earlier thread unhelpful in the sense of a review or even a discussion.
    What did you do, write a handbook on the proper style of review writing? He has a different style than you do and you don't like his style. So what? He didn't violate any rules, yet you, Sanddrift have violated several in your short time here. And you have turned the topic of this thread toward a Basenotes member. We don't do that here on Basenotes. You have been told before that if you have personal issues, then you take them behind the board for discussion. You do not bring them on the board.

This is like Alice down the Rabbit Hole.

I got compliments on wearing Terre d'Hermès too, but somehow I wish it was a little stronger and longer lasting. The problem could be my skin, as it absorbs spicy notes. :-/

any further discourse on any other member's posting tendencies and this thread will be locked.

Why So Serious?

I think this fragrance is strong enough and quite long lasting though subtle, but i think subtle is the key here, it is suppose to be a true skin scent. I also think that the pepper notes give it some firm grip but not overly strong. It's just right in my opinion, afterall i believe it's designed for summer use, it'll give people around you a pleasant experience and also yourself, very natural and very pure, good medicine for inhalation it seems.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    I got compliments on wearing Terre d'Hermès too, but somehow I wish it was a little stronger and longer lasting. The problem could be my skin, as it absorbs spicy notes. :-/
    How much of it do you apply?

Thank you, moderators.
    I'd just like to make an observation and that is I don't think I've seen this much disagreement and argument over any scent on Basenotes except for YSL Kouros. It would be curious to see how Td'H is viewed in ten years and how it will compare to other classics like YSL K--an absolute favorite of mine.
    I'm looking forward to trying Td'H soon myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
    Thank you, moderators.
    I'd just like to make an observation and that is I don't think I've seen this much disagreement and argument over any scent on Basenotes except for YSL Kouros. It would be curious to see how Td'H is viewed in ten years and how it will compare to other classics like YSL K--an absolute favorite of mine.
    I'm looking forward to trying Td'H soon myself.
    Yes, TdH is definately the most controversial scent that's come out in a while.

Controversy is usually bad, but if we're talking about fragrances, it's good publicity. It makes people curious!!!

I think I'm gonna like TdH!

FINALLY, someone with a working nose,
    I too have fallen in love with this scent, and I too have been getting complements, left and right,
    This is a new CLASSIC.

Ok, we have the good and bad reviews so now I am curious. Dam human behavior! ;D

Does anyone know if it will be available at any retail stores like Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus? Or is it just exclusive to Hermes boutiques?

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    Does anyone know if it will be available at any retail stores like Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus? Or is it just exclusive to Hermes boutiques?
    Along those lines, when will it be available at online stores like scentedmonkey or scentiments?

:

Quote Originally Posted by mariodefior
    So here's the deal (now where have we heard that?):

Mario

can't wait for the shower gel & deodrant review Mario :

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ
    [quote author=mariodefior link=1143174536/0#0 date=1143174535]..................

Mario

can't wait for the shower gel & deodrant review Mario :[/quote]

I am so looking forward to trying this one!

[quote author=ziffy321 link=1143174536/15#21 date=1143329473]Does anyone know if it will be available at any retail stores like Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus? Or is it just exclusive to Hermes boutiques?
    Along those lines, when will it be available at online stores like scentedmonkey or scentiments?

:[/quote]
    does anyone know the answer to these questions?

The Nordstrom's here in Tampa does not carry it but I did find it at Neiman's. They only had the tester available as of last Thursday and the SA informed me that it would be arriving sometime this coming week. I'm going to have to break my budget to get this one as I found it very pleasant and surprisingly longlasting on my skin. This is going to be a great one for me during the scorching summer months!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    [quote author=sanddrift link=1143174536/0#9 date=1143221712]One can certainly be negative or judge something unworthy for a variety of reasons -- even a mixture of mostly highly subjective ones *-- but certain standards of propriety and intellectual honesty are a good thing to maintain.

S may well be a gifted reviewer but disproportionate emotionality and hystrionics are distracting at best and only bring into question the real drivers behind it , such as having an ax to grind or a chip on one's shoulder or unacknowledged envy, for example.

Further, the repeated quasi-cursing seemed uncalled for -- a weird admixture of *mean-sprited and cute, or kute. Just struck a wrong note all together in the context of a 'review.'

A loss of all objectivity and too much ferocity (unrelated to passion) can easily render something more a rant than a review in many people's books -- and toxic and unpleasant, too.

I am not the only one who found the earlier thread unhelpful in the sense of a review or even a discussion.
    What did you do, write a handbook on the proper style of review writing? *He has a different style than you do and you don't like his style. *So what? *He didn't violate any rules, yet you, Sanddrift have violated several in your short time here. *And you have turned the topic of this thread toward a Basenotes member. *We don't do that here on Basenotes. *You have been told before that if you have personal issues, then you take them behind the board for discussion. *You do not bring them on the board.

[/quote]

Are you kidding me?! Will someone please moderate this moderator! It sounds more like you are the one with a personal issue with sanddrift. Why didn't you PM this post? YOU turned this thread toward a Basenotes member. Had you simply deleted the post, many of us would never have seen it and all would be as it should be. Instead, you deleted it, then you used it to scold sanddrift publicly. I'm disgusted.

I apologize to the rest of the members if this post gets this thread locked.

~mad

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    Instead, you deleted it, then you used it to scold sanddrift publicly. I'm disgusted.
    I never deleted anything. Sorry to disappoint you.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    [quote author=Ladylonestar link=1143174536/0#11 date=1143224126][quote author=sanddrift link=1143174536/0#9 date=1143221712]One can certainly be negative or judge something unworthy for a variety of reasons -- even a mixture of mostly highly subjective ones -- but certain standards of propriety and intellectual honesty are a good thing to maintain.

Further, the repeated quasi-cursing seemed uncalled for -- a weird admixture of mean-sprited and cute, or kute. Just struck a wrong note all together in the context of a 'review.'

What did you do, write a handbook on the proper style of review writing? He has a different style than you do and you don't like his style. So what? He didn't violate any rules, yet you, Sanddrift have violated several in your short time here. And you have turned the topic of this thread toward a Basenotes member. We don't do that here on Basenotes. You have been told before that if you have personal issues, then you take them behind the board for discussion. You do not bring them on the board.

[/quote]

Are you kidding me?! Will someone please moderate this moderator! It sounds more like you are the one with a personal issue with sanddrift. Why didn't you PM this post? YOU turned this thread toward a Basenotes member. Had you simply deleted the post, many of us would never have seen it and all would be as it should be. Instead, you deleted it, then you used it to scold sanddrift publicly. I'm disgusted.

I apologize to the rest of the members if this post gets this thread locked.

~mad[/quote]

Paul deleted the posts as it was against the TOS. As is this.

Please keep this thread on topic

Hey Taz!!

Thanks for encouraging me to post again.

Grapefruit is the key word in both Shower Gel and Underarm stick - they are very fresh and energizing. No deeper notes detected, the EDT being a richer extension of the ancillaries.

Whatever the case, I really dig the whole concept - light and polite with substance, refreshing and impossible not to love, no matter what your taste in fragrance IMHO.

Mario

Is gettting TdH the same thing as getting Orange Verte Concenetre? Obviously it's not the same smell, but would it be redundant getting both?

Also, which is more masculine?

While Terre does have a blast of citrus through out it, I love the wood, mineral notes that start coming through about 30 mins. after application..I find this scent to be superior in every way. more masculine, and sensual.
    Orange Vert is also good, but not great.

I was astonished at Terre D'Hermes. Their new fragrances are more than a notch above their usual stuff.

The new trend they seem to be advocating is wood and exoticism. Good for a change, especially for those people who had grown tired of shapeless citruses and spineless marines. Terre is a reworking of both 'Un Jardins', to be sure, a slightly more 'masculin' declination. It bears the mark of a specific molecule that has been around in the past few months. It's very, very sexy.

Terre is sensuous, but not sweet. It's magically descriptive of late-spring nights in an orange-lit amphiteater. It's Crete, it's hippy, it's a Mediterranean reverie from the early Seventies.

Male fragrances by Hermes have always been more fun than male fragrances by Guerlain. You think Equipage and you get the sense of a bourgeois country gentleman in his spare time (with Guerlain, you think offices and stiff soirees). Now that gentleman has taken to wearing sandals and roaming the beaches of Greece. Terre is permanent vacation.

thanks Mario...mmmm ....Grapefruit ....I guess that shower gel
    is so zesty & energizing

Can't wait to be launched here???
    Hey Taz!!

Thanks for encouraging me to post again.

Grapefruit is the key word in both Shower Gel and Underarm stick - they are very fresh and energizing. No deeper notes detected, the EDT being a richer extension of the ancillaries.

Whatever the case, I really dig the whole concept - light and polite with substance, refreshing and impossible not to love, no matter what your taste in fragrance IMHO.

Mario

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007
    While Terre does have a blast of citrus through out it, I love the wood, mineral notes that start coming through about 30 mins. after application..I find this scent to be superior in every way. more masculine, and sensual.
    Orange Vert is also good, but not great.
    But doesnt' Orange Verte contain wood notes? Do you think TdH does it better?

I'm referring to the concentre version of orange verte.

And how long till it comes out on scentiments or scentedmonkey? Or how long does it usually take on average for a new frangrance?

I'm sorry, :-?, I've tried a sample vial of TDH but I find the drydown is similar of the one of AG Eau d'Hadrien >, I don't like it at all. Moreover it is very longlasting, as every fragrance I don't like...

I was just noticing that this fragrance has grapefruit in it according to some of you. I do not like that scent. I was on the border of buying it but if this is the case, I will skip. Is this true? It has grapefruit?

I've tried this fragrance twice and I really want to like it but I keep trying to find the masculine in it...When first applied I feel like I just ran into a semi-truck carrying grapefruit to market. The dry down does have a certain charisma to it though.

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    I was just noticing that this fragrance has grapefruit in it according to some of you. I do not like that scent. I was on the border of buying it but if this is the case, I will skip. Is this true? It has grapefruit?
    Yes it has grapefruit. Can you tell me what you don't like about it?
    Is it too sharp?

Just my .02 cents worth but I'm getting a light, Citrus (Grapefruit) Rocabar out of this. *I'm really trying to like this but thus far it's not going so good.

Jim

[quote author=ikkitosennomusha link=1143174536/30#38 date=1143467952]I was just noticing that this fragrance has grapefruit in it according to some of you. I do not like that scent. I was on the border of buying it but if this is the case, I will skip. Is this true? It has grapefruit?
    Yes it has grapefruit. Can you tell me what you don't like about it?
    Is it too sharp?[/quote]

to my nose it's all just SO sour. when i read reviews of a sweet drydown, i just wonder if it's my skin. i couldn't warm up to jardin sur le nil either.

A lot of grapefruit and a lot of that mangonote that was also in un jardin sur le nil. I don't like it. For me it's 'The return of the Migraine Mango' by Hermès. *:P I like it better on paper than on me so maybe it's my skin.
    On the other hand I do like un jardin en mediteranée, a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Willem_Jan
    On the other hand I do like un jardin en mediteranée, a lot.
    me too!

i really tried to like le nil and terre.

I've got it on the back of my hand now. First test from a tester shot at a store.

I like this more than anything else I've smelled by Ellena. Most of what I know of his is from the last ten years only, anyway, and this is better than all that junk. I hate the two Jardins and I think AdP Colonia Assoluta is a wreck of the beautiful original.

But this Terre d'Homme I sort of like, but not enough to buy.

I guess I read the copy, but I really like the idea of getting the scent of dried moss off stones. This scent does that very well. This seems new and delightful, worthy of praise right there. There also seems to be notes of dried tree bark--not exactly woody, but very tactile dry sunbleached flakey thick bark. Nice thing to include.

There's also some fire ash I think.

But holy yuck, theres the grapefruit/mango nonsense wafting in. Whatever it is it's like a candy--cloying. Damn well does not belong. Thankfully it lasts only an hour/hour and a half. Then back to the forest. But it isn't a woody forest in the sense I'm used to--no pine or cypress or birch. Not like any of the several Diptyques that pride themselves on being some different side of the Greek shrubbrush countryside either, although I like the comment above about how sunny and southern European Terre d'Hermes's forest/countryside is.

Four hours into drydown it is still going strong but seems to be more ashen and moving more in a direction of Gucci PH/CdG 2 Man, but with a wheelbarrow's load of black earth dumped into their campfires. A previous reviewer mentioned a dishwater effect to this scent and I see clearly what he means. Seeing this doesn't kill the scent for me, though. With time I might grow to see something complete in this fragrance, but after this single wearing I don't think the scent has everything it should have. Equipage and Bel Ami are perfect scents in their completeness--there is something deep in the core of them and you get the sense of the borders of the smell and what the aura of sillage the scent gives. Terre d'Hermes, in contrast, seems to lack that completeness.

Nifty scent, with well done touches, and candy that dies even if it is there, but finally, as it melds on my skin with itself, the nifty-ness of the well done touches loose themselves in its growing, burdensome ashy soup.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I've got it on the back of my hand now. First test from a tester shot at a store.

I like this more than anything else I've smelled by Ellena. Most of what I know of his is from the last ten years only, anyway, and this is better than all that junk. I hate the two Jardins and I think AdP Colonia Assoluta is a wreck of the beautiful original.

But this Terre d'Homme I sort of like, but not enough to buy.

I guess I read the copy, but I really like the idea of getting the scent of dried moss off stones. This scent does that very well. This seems new and delightful, worthy of praise right there. There also seems to be notes of dried tree bark--not exactly woody, but very tactile dry sunbleached flakey thick bark. Nice thing to include.

There's also some fire ash I think.

But holy yuck, theres the grapefruit/mango nonsense wafting in. Whatever it is it's like a candy--cloying. Damn well does not belong. Thankfully it lasts only an hour/hour and a half. Then back to the forest. But it isn't a woody forest in the sense I'm used to--no pine or cypress or birch. Not like any of the several Diptyques that pride themselves on being some different side of the Greek shrubbrush countryside either, although I like the comment above about how sunny and southern European Terre d'Hermes's forest/countryside is.

Four hours into drydown it is still going strong but seems to be more ashen and moving more in a direction of Gucci PH/CdG 2 Man, but with a wheelbarrow's load of black earth dumped into their campfires. A previous reviewer mentioned a dishwater effect to this scent and I see clearly what he means. Seeing this doesn't kill the scent for me, though. With time I might grow to see something complete in this fragrance, but after this single wearing I don't think the scent has everything it should have. Equipage and Bel Ami are perfect scents in their completeness--there is something deep in the core of them and you get the sense of the borders of the smell and what the aura of sillage the scent gives. Terre d'Hermes, in contrast, seems to lack that completeness.

Nifty scent, with well done touches, and candy that dies even if it is there, but finally, as it melds on my skin with itself, the nifty-ness of the well done touches loose themselves in its growing, burdensome ashy soup.
    --Chris
    Thanks for your review! I had a feeling the grapefruit would be a hit or miss. It seems like the grapefruit is the weakness. I don't know if I'll like it too...sounds like it can be too sweet or too sour. Other than that, it's good.

For all the experiences noses out there, what fragrance do you think TdH would smell like if it didn't contain the grapefruit opening?

I tried Terre today at Saks. Like it very much, haven't smelled anything like it. It was only one spray on my arm, still going strong 8 hours later. Quality stuff.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Im just wearing this at work. Really green to my nose. And very good cent in my opinnion. It has a little smokines and comforting green aura. Might be the thing i need this summer. I only put little on(just one drop on my collar)me. And it lasts all day.

I recall reading here that Declaration was Ellena's favorite of the scents
    he had made. *Would you describe the grapefruit note in Terre as being
    the same as that in Declaration?

I love Terre d'Hermes. Immediately compelling and stays that way though the dry down. Has a great Cannabis-like note. Very sensual, rich, earthy and complex, excellent longevity. It's one that stands out. Love the bottle and spray mechanism too. Has a rugged quality about it, although I'm sure it would break if you dropped it. :-[
    It's not getting what you want -- it's wanting what you've got.

+1

I mean, I agree. Love it.

Am I the only one who finds this overwhelmingly vetiver-heavy? I commented on this in the thread comparing TdH with Bigarade Concentrée, so I'll try not to repeat myself too much here. I don't get much of anything mango-like. (Such a note is much more prominent, to me, in Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, and I'll say 'No, thanks all the same.') I just get some citrus off the top, some pepper, definitely, and a bit of cedar, but I find it too bitter and pungent.

This doesn't sound like a typical reaction, though. Hmm. I think I'm more of a fan of Ellena than DustB is, although Colonia Assoluta is not a favourite of mine. (I think Un Jardin En Méditerranée may be my next purchase - or investment, I should say, given the price - if the fig note doesn't come on too strong when I try it again.)

I wanted to like TdH, but it just doesn't work on me, I guess.

I really liked it when I tried it recently, but I'm not sure whether I'm old enough for it. Maybe I'll try some more and get it in fall or something like that (since I can't run around buying frags all the time anyway. or can I..)

Actually this age-thing really saddens me, there's so much wonderfully smelling stuff out there that fits me neither age-wise nor clothing-style-wise.

I love it. Definitely going to be a summer staple for me.

The grapefruit actually reminds me of the grapefruit in Rose Ikebana, one of the JCE's Hermessence scents (rose, rhubarb and grapefruit). The paper strip postcard sample I received smelled like straight-up vetiver...sprayed from my bottle I get much more grapefruit. Luckily it doesn't go candy-sweet on me like some citrus scents do (Diptyque Oyedo--ouch!).

Beautiful...and very nice for women, too!

When i first tested it on my arm I just smelled a fruity cedar that reminded of Givenchy PH and that I could really do without. I tested both of the Jardin frags and then went back to Terre and bought it right away. After wearing it a few times I find it to be really well rounded with a tangy citrus edge that's very refreshing, and a peppery, earthy vetiver at the base. The most amazing thing is that it actually lasts, and this is what will make it a staple. It was also much cheaper than the other Hermes scents (where I was shopping anyways).
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja

Actually this age-thing really saddens me, there's so much wonderfully smelling stuff out there that fits me neither age-wise nor clothing-style-wise.

What age thing? Im 23, and this is perfect for me!

Terre is really drivin me nuts right now!

i've only got a small decant of the stuff (of which there ain't that much left), but i feelin it so much that i think i might have to go pick it up @ Sephora and pay full retail for it.

really don't wanna do that but this stuff just keeps callin me and callin me. lol.

The vetiver, cedar and patchouli blend lends the fragrance a hint reminiscent of A*Men at one point.

Has anyone else noticed this?

The vetiver, cedar and patchouli blend lends the fragrance a hint reminiscent of A*Men at one point.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Possibly. But the thing I like most about it is the Cannabis-like note. Green and Earthy? Oh yes. Good? Indeed it is. *[smiley=evil.gif]

Good day
    It's not getting what you want -- it's wanting what you've got.