Code of Conduct

Default "Old" scents that still smell "modern."

Hi, I'm curious about scents made before 1987 that still smell modern today. For example, Dunhill Edition to me smells quite modern, even a man at the age of 25 can wear it and still feel it suitable.

I would now like to explore more of old scents rather than new ones. I am disappointed with Colors by Benetton and I have sold it. It opens with lemon, but not in a nice way.

Please recommend old scents that are easy to find, and reasonably priced, and I will get them if they're within my reach.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: "Old" scents that still smell "modern."

No. 88 by Czech and Speake (1981)

Antaeus by Chanel (1981)

My new squeeze: Creed Bois de Cedrat. Introduced in 1875. I paid about $65 bucks for it from Scentiments. I'm wasn't a huge citrus fan, but this one has me hooked. The funny thing is, it's so simple and minimal in its notes, but it manages to satisfy-- probably owing a lot to the quality of its ingredients. Plus, part of the thrill is knowing that was created a hundred years before I was born, but smells timeless and modern.

Off-Scenter

Yatagan is still revolutionary.
    Third Man and Acier Aluminium don't smell at all dated to me.
    Jicky is still bold, even after its centennial.
    Diptyque's Eau Lente and L'Ombre dans L'Eau are two great scents from the 1980s.
    Eau d'Hermes and Guerlain's Vetiver haven't tired, either.
    Mure et Musc holds up well, and Molinard's Habanita still works beautifully after 86 years!

Clubman by Truefitt & Hill was released in 1880 and contains a marine/aquatic note !

Creed Selection Verte (1970) is another "old" scent that smells "modern" - its a superb mint based fragrance
    -

Egoiste (1990)
    Lagerfeld Photo (1990 )
    Iceberg Homme (1990) & Women (1989)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Cerruti 1881 (1990)
    Antaeus (1981)
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Good thread! I almost started one like it just a couple days ago.

i second Creed Bois de Cedrat, Clubman, Guerlain Vetiver (wearing it today, old formula),

Dior Eau Savage (1966)

Sometimes I feel that Cacherel Homme (1981) smells modern and other times not. It's a classic any way you cut it!
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 23rd May 2007 at 11:00 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Hi, I'm curious about scents made before 1987 that still smell modern today. For example, Dunhill Edition to me smells quite modern, even a man at the age of 25 can wear it and still feel it suitable.

I would now like to explore more of old scents rather than new ones. I am disappointed with Colors by Benetton and I have sold it. It opens with lemon, but not in a nice way.

Please recommend old scents that are easy to find, and reasonably priced, and I will get them if they're within my reach.
    Dunhill For Men (1934) fits the bill, except it is not easy to find. Despite being 73 yrs old, it does not smell out of it's time.

Azzaro PH (1978) is an awesome, powerful fougere in the style of Tuscany and Rive Gauche. I smelled my boss the other day and said "Are you wearing Rive Gauche", he said "No, Obsession Night", I said "Gee that's funny I swore I could smell some anise/patchouli kinda thing" and then he goes "Well I did put some Azzaro Aftershave Balm on as well!". So, for us geeks who analyse, one can tell its provenance from the 70-80s era, but it could easily fit into everyday lkife in the naughties.

Santos (1981) ditto for Azzaro, if anything I think it smells even more modern. Love the topnotes, shame about the longevity on my skin. I gotta try the Concentree.

Antaeus (1981) ditto again!

Creed GIT (1985) spawning many modern clones, this still smells the most natural with a creamy floral feel where all its pretenders seem synthetic, this is my most complimented, and could easily have been released last year. Creed Angelique Encens (1933) could easily be a modern take on incense, it's awesome.

Of the Guerlain classics, I think Habit Rouge (1965) is a bit dirtier and kinkier than the very serios Derby and Heritage, and therefore has more chance of pulling off a modern feel. I'm sure the EDP would smell a bit more modern with the apparent use of aoud. Vetiver (1961) still smells modern, but that might be because it is, in its current incarnation.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

The very classic Eau sauvage and Guerlain Vetiver come immediately to mind.
    Green irish tweed seems popular still.
    I would also hazzard the recs of Jazz YSL, Xeryus Rouge and Obsession men (not sure on exact date, but definitely pre-1990 all three)

Opium homme eau de parfum is one of the 'must haves'. Smooth, comforting, and thoughtful.

Santal Imperial by Creed - it's listed from 1850!

I've always imagined SI as D&G Light Blue for men... unfortunately, D&G's Light Blue for men is nowhere near as good!

Ditto for Antaeus (1981) and Dior Ea Sauvage (1966).

I think that the 1957 Carven Vetiver (recently reintroducted) is both traditional and very modern. The new bottle is decidedly modern. I am currently haunted by this one....

Blog Entries

Would 4711 count? It was light & fresh a couple hundred years before light & fresh became the style!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I think Vetivers are generally timeless. There are differences, but my nose couldn't put an era to them, as it could with leather colognes. Colognes based on Vetiver were never that popular either, Guerlain's Vetiver perhaps excepted. This however may also be due to its rich content of citrus. From the birth of colognes citrus has of course been a vital, if not the only element added to all fragrant waters.
    Last edited by narcus; 25th May 2007 at 03:52 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Agree with all of those already stated. Add Caron's Third Man and Hermes Equipage.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Wink Re: "Old" scents that still smell "modern."

Eau d'Hermes smells like it could be part of Frederick Malle's collection. I agree with Narcus about vetiver scents. Most everything designer from the 80's feels too bombastic these days. I tried to wear Antaeus the other day and was asked to wash it off by my partner. The Third Man is one of the exceptions to the 80's in your face sillage. Shalimar smells like it was just created. Some argue it was, and is now called Musc Ravageur.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th May 2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: capriciousness!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Yatagan is still revolutionary.
    Eau d'Hermes and Guerlain's Vetiver haven't tired, either.
    You should chase a thousand miles to find true Eau d`Hermes and Vetiver, as they have been relaunched with formula changed...

As for pre-90s scents that are not dated, you could not get wrong with almost all the colognes, they are eternal creatures.
    Chypres are not so modern, either - but you need to find proper chypre to see it modern - like one of 2007 Juliette Has a Gun scent is rosy chypre.

And for sure you will not find aquatic and airy frags that are in plenty now - from pre-80s colognes...

Many of them!
    I own Kouros and it's amazing!

I also presented Jazz to a friend of mine and he likes it a lot.

Wink Re: "Old" scents that still smell "modern."

Dior´s Eau Sauvage
    Creed´s Green Irish Tweed / Bois du Portugal
    Chanel Egoiste and Anteus
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Kenzo pour homme
    Minotaure
    Fahrenheit
    --------------------------------------
    oohhh my god...i forgot: Aqua di Parma Cologne (still modern)
    Last edited by P-Natra; 24th May 2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Wow, there are so many that I haven't heard of.

But I have tried Eau Sauvage and Anteus and I don't think I like them that much. I think I should give them another try but this time on the skin, not on the card.

Guerlain Vetiver I have only sniffed it from the cap. It was my friend's and there was just about 5 ml left so I didn't want to upset him. All I can remember is that it was very green and delightful.

Thanks for all recommendations, I will try to test them.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I have to agree with Antaeus.It might be an old scent but it is still brilliant.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Nino Cerruti PH (1979) which to me is still very up to date - but like hen's teeth of course.

Trot

Acqua Classica - Borsari Parma
    CM No 6
    Lavande Royale
    Eau Sauvage
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]