Code of Conduct

Question Scents for a possible library job?

Well, I might apply for a job at the public library soon, reshelving books.

However, a library is a very quiet place, which is not a place for screaming loud heavy orientals (the kind of scents I am accustomed to). Of course, I could wear Mugler Cologne all the time, but variety is the spice of life.

So, I could use some suggestions for some good, soft library scents. They can be designer or niche, but they must have decent staying power. Also, I will be in Chicago for the Basenotes get-together, so I'd like an answer by Friday afternoon (which is when I leave) so I can sniff on Saturday morning.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Scents for a possible library job?

I honestly think that Mugler Cologne will work just fine. It is a very neutral scent and I can't see anyone being offended by such a smell. Just spray a little more moderately because you don't exactly need everyone to smell you.

I vote for Heeley's FINE LEATHER. Here's what LuckyScent says about it: That rarest of breeds – a floral scent with a masculine edge, done with the distinctive blend of clean contemporary style and classic elegance that we have come to expect from James Heeley. A luxurious impression of supple, rich leather is heightened with soft floral grace notes and the brisk scent of birch. There is a fresh, wild feeling of an unspoiled woodland meadow, which melds perfectly with the subtle leather to create a fragrance that is disarmingly appealing and quietly seductive. We picture this on the soft-spoken young schoolmaster who seems bashful at first, then goes on to steal the hearts of all the village lasses with his fiercely romantic poetry. 99% gentleman, with just a wee dash of rogue.

Fine Leather notes
    violet, mimosa, birch, soft leather notes and vetiver

wear something you'd feel comfortable with in a migraine clinic.
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

C&S #88 always makes me feel like I should be in a library, even if I'm not. So it gets my vote. For some odd reason, Hermes Equipage also comes to mind.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

This looks like a job for Paul Smith Story

I think that Paul Smith Story and Heeley Fine Leather are two excellent choices. Let me add L'homme Sage by Divine.

Tea For Two? CdG Zen? Aqua di Parma?

Wear the wildest stuff you can imagine. Libraries are boring. Wear something to make things interesting, not to conform to snoozeville. Wear those heavy orientals you like. You don't want to smell like a library.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Etro Messe de Minuit sounds strangely appropriate ..
    -

Platinum Egoiste, manages to be clean smelling and warm at the same time.
    Bois du Portugal, complex and sophisticated, but not heavy
    Silver Mountain Water, to bring sunlight and an outdoor feeling indoors. Good sillage and longevity.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Off-Scenter

Maybe something meditative with incense, like L'Artisan's Dzongkha. That, or a nice woody scent like Santal Noble or Tam Dao. I could also see a drier rose: something like L'Ombre dans l'Eau. It's controversial, but the new Malle French Lover strikes me as library-worthy, too.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 25th May 2007 at 04:22 AM.

Tsar or Bulgari PH Extreme would be great choices.

Aigner Black, it smells sophisticated.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Blog Entries

Hehehe, when I saw that it was YOU that had posted this, before I clicked on the thread I was like "Why doesn't he wear Mugler Cologne??" I was relieved when you had mentioned it in your post, though. Seriously, I think this beloved one would be just fine! It's nice & quiet, but still has enough character to be appreciated by staff & patrons. It's my #1 work scent. I know that you're looking for something different, but I hope that you get the job, & that this one will definitely be in your work rotation. Good luck!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I agree with the Dzongkha! Mugler Cologne is good anytime, what a great frag.
    Tam Dao, like Scentsibility said in another post, is a very calm, zen-like frag that would do well in a studious environment like a library.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

* 'M; Man' by Masaki Matsushima gets my vote. Its understated and ghost-like, however lasts well on the skin and is non-offensive.
    * Paul Smith Extreme for Men also: fresh herbaceous accords and dry olivewood drydown.
    * Mugler Cologne is also another good suggestion.

Talking Re: Scents for a possible library job?

Burberry Brit for Man or London.

Mugler Cologne
    Gendarme

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Wear the wildest stuff you can imagine. Libraries are boring. Wear something to make things interesting, not to conform to snoozeville. Wear those heavy orientals you like. You don't want to smell like a library.
    Good advice. But if you do want to smell like a library, Rive Gauce PH was apparently formulated to smell of a "70s Parisian boho bookshop." The dry-down does, in my opinion, reflect this intent.

terre d'hermes
    rive gauche
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Polo Green always reminds me of a library.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Maybe something meditative with incense, like L'Artisan's Dzongkha. ... It's controversial, but the new Malle French Lover strikes me as library-worthy, too.
    Oh yes, the perfect 'at work' scent. Other's won't complain, and the delicacy and finesse is all to yourself and the books in your hand. They say all kinds of things about Dzing, 'smells like old books' is one. Maybe you should give it a try? Cheaper: Terre, Hypnose, Miracle, M7.

I also thought that libraries are particularly boring places, and the low voice communication (forget about real conversation) came over as too religiously humble. But then I endeavored the books, dedicated librarians, and some charming students! There is a special challenge to be inventive communicating at such a place using eyes and cologne!
    Last edited by narcus; 27th May 2007 at 06:06 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Montale's Black Aoud, especially if you are in the history section. (I don't know why! Just seems apropo. Maybe I just like to smell Black Aoud on guys and so I suggest it every chance I get!)
    Second or third or whatever, the Tam Dao suggestion.

Tabac Blond smells like a monastery's library to me, so that's the first one that springs to mind... It smells of old leather-bound books. The parfum has an incredible staying power, yet it is not a loud scent. I think you will be able to pull it off very well in that environment while enjoying its never boring complexity.

My other suggestion would be to use your favourites, but in moderate amounts. If orientals are your favourites, try to use only 1-2 sprays instead of 4-6 Spray it on one wrist, than dab it with that wrist on the other one and on your neck and chest or anywhere else you like. When you spray you have very little control of where the scents lands, including clothing and hair, which often hold the scent for much longer than the warm body and skin - leading often to a very loud sillage (which is not what you want in this case). If the scent is very light, you can use more spritzes of course, but try to apply them to wrists only and than apply to the other parts of your body that you want to scent.

You can also switch to dabbing, which is even better. You can keep your job (and your reputation as a quiet and diligent librarian LOL) while enjoying your favourite scents. The two don't need to eliminate each other!
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Creed MI

Quote Originally Posted by Jermel View Post
    Creed MI
    Four years after the OP started the thread, I hope he's chosen his frags by now.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Four years after the OP started the thread, I hope he's chosen his frags by now.
    Good one!

Nevertheless, I would recommend to a would-be librarian to wear:

Ex Libris by Tokyo Milk: Fig Leaf, Magnolia, Bronzed Musk & Cardamom

Bibliotheque by Byredo (only in a candle):
    Top: Peach, plum
    Heart: Violet, peony
    Base: Patchouli, leather, vanilla
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Amouage Opus III reminds me of a library. Bonus: it's a warm/powdery oriental. Longevity is stellar while sillage is moderate, and I think if you limited yourself to one spray you'd be able to enjoy it all day without offending others. Instead of buying a bottle you could buy a few official samples from somewhere like Parfums Raffy. Another bonus - the cost per mL is actually LESS w/ the spray samples than it is for a full bottle of the Opus Series.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

someone would resurrect a four year old thread to recommend one of the most popular, common creed fragrances, wouldnt they?

Bvlgari pour homme
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Spanish Leather by Geo F. Trumper smells, in my opinion, like rare old books bound in luxurious leather

go for DZING!

Turin said about it: Which is how divine providence has arranged for secondhand bookstores to smell like good-quality vanilla absolute, subliminally stoking a hunger for knowledge in all of us

...... so true!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

How did the Thread Necromancer even find this thread?

I think Chanel Anteus and Egoiste would be good here

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    How did the Thread Necromancer even find this thread?
    Yeah, I'm always curious how certain threads get revived (or even found).

On a different note, what scent actually smells like old books? I love that smell, and I wouldn't mind smelling like them. Maybe I should just start a new thread.

I think Bvlgari Man would be a perfect choice. Also a good leather- what about Cuir d'Oranger by Miller Harris.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    On a different note, what scent actually smells like old books? I love that smell, and I wouldn't mind smelling like them. Maybe I should just start a new thread.
    Creed's Love in Black kind of smells like someone spilled vodka on a 200 year old book. IMO it's one of the few one's I've smelled from this house that didn't seem like it was trying to be a generic crowd pleaser.