Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up A Random Review: Malone's Pomegranate Noir

Thanks to Mike Perez' generosity, at long last, I am finally able to sample Jo Malone's resplendent Pomegranate Noir.

The initial sniff quickly brings black pepper to mindóa sniff, thankfully, that carries no ill-effect unlike the real thing. This is black pepper with an underlying booziness, a pure, refined, barely discernable alcohol base that gives this perfume a certain ethereal nature in those opening notes.

Then, to my nose, comes the incensy smokiness, not unlike that of Commes De Garcon's Kyoto or Avignon. This is not a little surprising, considering what I've read of it. Surprising, but most definitely not unpleasant; I like this. A lot.

I can already think of the many situations and places I can wear Noir, and they are all refined and classy. Not for the local downtown bar hopping scene. No, Noir is a sharp bladed elegance, like a night out wearing a bespoke Tuxedo, a blonde draped on your arm; the promise of carnal pleasures at the end of the night and into the morning lingers all over the back of the speeding limo and quickens the pulse; sex, martinis and the lingering smell of a clove cigarette.

So far, these are my initial impressions. They have not gone further, but with Pomegranate Noir, I look forward to what it will reveal on that long journey towards dawn.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Default Re: A Random Review: Malone's Pomegranate Noir

Great visual impression of this wonderful frag ifconfig. I never get tired of wearing it. The drydown of Pomegranate Noir is really something special.

The thing I like most about it is its versatility. It's a dry, woody, fruity fragrance that is suitable year 'round. It's definitely in my summer rotation.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Love this fragrance...it's my favorite at the moment..! I get alot of compliments when I wear this..my gf says it smells like her hampster cage when she was little..she just loves this on me!

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled and liked a lot. I would prefer the opening peppery/fruit stayed around much longer...but it's still a great scent. The drydown for me is much like CdG Sequoia (for those who would prefer to go pure hamster cage/cedar fence).

Off-Scenter

I just received a sample from a generous Basenoter, and after a couple of hours all I can say is "Cr#p! Another one I'll have to buy." The opening black pepper blast is terrific, but it's the wild smoke/incense/fruit accord at the heart that really does it for me. Unlike anything I've worn before. My only criticism so far is that it seems to be fading very quickly.

Thank you for the review ifconfig! I hope you will tell us how the long night's journey into dawn turned out...
    I will have to try this, that's for sure. Anyone eager to sell/swap a decant? ;-)
    Arte et labore

Not exactly on point, but I just got a sample of this today at Neiman Marcus for a female friend as the Jo Malone website (the UK site) talks about layering this with Blue Agava and Cacao. Also layering Blue Agava with Nectarine Blossom or Grapefruit for daytime for a fresher/crisper feel and then Blue Agava and Pomegranate Noir for evening "sexy time." (smile) The Agava/Pomengranate combo was quite impressive on a sample card.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichmondR View Post
    Not exactly on point, but I just got a sample of this today at Neiman Marcus for a female friend as the Jo Malone website (the UK site) talks about layering this with Blue Agava and Cacao. Also layering Blue Agava with Nectarine Blossom or Grapefruit for daytime for a fresher/crisper feel and then Blue Agava and Pomegranate Noir for evening "sexy time." (smile) The Agava/Pomengranate combo was quite impressive on a sample card.
    I own both the Blue Agava and Pomegranate Noir.

Just thinking about layering these...I'm wrinkling up my nose. They're both such intense smells...its like imagining layering Kouros with Bulgari Black

But, I guess I could try it once...just to see if it works.

I took a look at the website again and its talks about using the Pomergranate Noir body cream and then applying a layer of Blue Agava for evening wear. I recall spraying the Blue Agava on a sample card and then the saleslady applied a very light dusting on Pomegranate over the Blue Agava. On a small sample card, it smelled delicious, but I can see where someone could get carried away. Maybe try it on one wrist for a while?

Post Thanks / Like

After reading ifconfig's review of this Malone fragrance, I don't think I'm old enough to be wearing this. Does Malone make anything that let's you take your own car, your own wife, but still have all the rest of the evening's activities?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I just received a sample from a generous Basenoter, and after a couple of hours all I can say is "Cr#p! Another one I'll have to buy." The opening black pepper blast is terrific, but it's the wild smoke/incense/fruit accord at the heart that really does it for me. Unlike anything I've worn before. My only criticism so far is that it seems to be fading very quickly.
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir is a true love scent for me but I hate scents that dissipate soon after application. I have this in the bath oil and use that as perfume - it lasts all day! I do happen to enjoy layering it though which also adds to the longevity.

Favourite combos so far include:

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + Pomegranate Noir type oil (ebay purchase)
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + TBS Cranberry
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + TBS Pink Pepper
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + AL Forbidden Fruits
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + Etro Etra
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + AL Film Noir
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + Dinner by Bobo
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + Jungle L'Elephant
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + SL Ambre Sultan
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + AL Dark Amber
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir + Nemat Frankincense

You may also enjoy Ava Luxe Forbidden Fruits which is a similar interpretation of the same themes. The parfum formultaion lasts at least 20 hours on me.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TricsMan View Post
    After reading ifconfig's review of this Malone fragrance, I don't think I'm old enough to be wearing this. Does Malone make anything that let's you take your own car, your own wife, but still have all the rest of the evening's activities?

Now that's funny(and clever)! I use it and am way past puberty. Doesn't last very long or project much for me even though I use 7-8 sprays.......

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I have found that even after I don't smell PN on my skin, people always compliment me on it. So I think it probably has average longevity, but the notes in the drydown my nose gets accustomed to and I think I can't smell them anymore, even though the scent is still detectable on my skin.

Hope that makes sense.

Same thing happens on my skin with Un Jardin sur le Nil (Hermes).

Off-Scenter

Curses upon you, Mike, for introducing me to this scent! Now I will have to buy it!