Code of Conduct

Thread: My next Classic

Default My next Classic

I have decided to order Kouros to see what all the fus is about. Now I want to order another timeless classic. I was thinking of these:

Obsession

Aramis

Polo Green

Pour Monsieur

What say you to these? I suppose I have been on a classics trend lately. I mentioned that I was tired of all the anemic offerings of today with no boady and character. I feel that many of you are much more experienced that I am to make a qualified and informed decision and I would like some imput. Thank you!

Default Re: My next Classic

I'd say pick the Aramis. Good general, all purpose, great density, great longevity fragrance. Polo Green after that, but I think Aramis is the more fun of all four.

Chanel Pour Monsieur, NOT the concentree version, is a great fragrance for sure, but it is hard to find and it doesn't last very long on the skin. Many members will post here saying it is a perfect example of its category and a milestone in mens fragrances, but beautiful and refined as it is, it isn't as much fun as a good old dirty mess about fragrance like Aramis. Get Aramis. You'll be able to wear it and feel appropriate with it 25 times for every single time you'd feel like you were doing justice to Chanel Pour Monsieur. You don't need an occasion for Aramis, but you do for Chanel PM. That's my point.

Good luck.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I'd say pick the Aramis. Good general, all purpose, great density, great longevity fragrance. Polo Green after that, but I think Aramis is the more fun of all four.

Chanel Pour Monsieur, NOT the concentree version, is a great fragrance for sure, but it is hard to find and it doesn't last very long on the skin. Many members will post here saying it is a perfect example of its category and a milestone in mens fragrances, but beautiful and refined as it is, it isn't as much fun as a good old dirty mess about fragrance like Aramis. Get Aramis. You'll be able to wear it and feel appropriate with it 25 times for every single time you'd feel like you were doing justice to Chanel Pour Monsieur. You don't need an occasion for Aramis, but you do for Chanel PM. That's my point.

Good luck.
    Agreed. Pour Monsieur is a beatiful fragrance, but I always feel like I should be attending a gala opening at the Met (in a tux, of course) when I wear it.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

You should also check out Devin by Aramis while you're at it.

If you can tame Kouros, try your hand at Yatagan. It will satisfy you in ways no other fragrance can.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Agreed. Pour Monsieur is a beatiful fragrance, but I always feel like I should be attending a gala opening at the Met (in a tux, of course) when I wear it.
    Yeah, so? Get a tux and wear it to the Met (or your town's equivalent)! It is a true classic.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Chanel Pour Monsieur.

I hate Obsession, Aramis is pretty good, Polo is great, but just too Iconic to really wear with much frequency, and the Chanel is it's own, classy, entity.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Another vote for Chanel pour Monsieur. It is something I've wanted to buy for a long time and I think it is classic and well rounded, not to mention amazing smelling.

I agree with Chris's logic. Aramis.

However, I don't wear it as often as Polo.

I noticed you like Kiton. May I highly recommend Fahrenheit?
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    If you can tame Kouros, try your hand at Yatagan. It will satisfy you in ways no other fragrance can.
    interesting... I'll have to look into this again.

Try Polo or even better Polo Crest.

If you want body and character within a classic, i'd suggest Heritage or even Habit Rouge.

Where Could I find Polo Crest?

These are all fine, but Dunhill for Men is only available from the Dunhill store in Manhattan for a short time, and will likely never be available again. It is so great that if you missed Patou pour Homme, as I did, you have to try and get the Dunhill. It is truly, truly, great. Call them and order it now if you want to know what classic is. Read the reviews if you are not sure. My neutral one was based on some stale old stock I found in a discount place. The Dunhill store has fresh bottles for this disappearing gem.

Kiton Man is perfect with a suit (but not much of a classic). A true "Classic" to compliment your tuxedo would be Domenico Caracni. Extremely distinguished, non-offensive and very romantic...one bottle should last your lifetime.
    Last edited by Bwitney Speeohs; 5th December 2007 at 02:20 AM.

I vote for Obsession. I think it is a great colder weather classic. Yes, 80's blah blah blah...it's a great fragrance and rediscovering it in the winter is a great time to do so.
    Currently Enjoying - Burberry London

You are going to have your hands full with Kouros, beautiful and powerful as it is. If I were to pair something with that, I would go with Chanel Pour Monsieur. The others are very nice, and I do see where DustB is coming from, but I do believe that Chanel PM would be a great addition. It might not be as wearable as Aramis, but there are times when Chanel fits perfectly. (Which reminds me, what about Antaeus??)

After that, I would perhaps try for Obsession or Farenheit. Both are simply excellent fragrances for winter and both are very different from Kouros and Chanel Pour Monsieur.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 5th December 2007 at 03:43 AM.

If you are looking for a timeless classic, you cannot go wrong with JHL by Aramis!

Obsession: a contemporary classic definitely!
    Wish it sitll had the thick mhyrr drydown nowadays as it had in its early days.... damn reformulations!
    Also Pour Monsieur is a great choice though shortlived (at least on my skin) and should be taken easier: c'mon it's so subtle to be worn as well with a white tee and a jeans!

Basenotes Institution

Aramis

However, my favorite from your list is Obsession...but the stuff on the shelves now is just not as good as the vintage juice.