Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Leather - a study in 3 parts

Wearing Tuscan Leather today (Tom Ford) - one of my favorite so far. This is not a review of Tuscan Leather, but instead, a reaction to a leather note that I don't think I've ever come upon until now. Up to now the leather I've experienced fell into two general categories (to my nose):

1. Animalic leather - I've said this before, it was not necessarily the smell of musk or civet, but the smell of barnyard animals hides (when the animal is alive, not when its been skinned). Two scents that I feel this way about are: Film Noir by Ava Luxe and A.maze by People of the Labyrinths.

2. Freshly tanned (raw smellling) leather - no animal smell, perhaps a faint industrial 'tang' to the leather note that makes it smell (to my nose) like leather chaps or leather clothing (for lack of a better word). Scents: Cuir Ottoman by Parfums D'Empire, Cuir de Russie by Chanel, and Knize Ten.

Then there is this 'new' third one I smell in Tuscan Leather: high grade buttery fine leather. Akin to the smell of a brand new luxury automobile interior, or the smell of sticking your nose inside a new womans leather purse (a NICE woman's purse - maybe a Coach bag...) and inhaling the scent.

I feel more drawn towards the animalic leathers I first mentioned (just cuz I like edgy scents) but Tuscan Leather's leather note has stopped me in my tracks...quite different and tenacious. Almost in an industrial way (CdG Synthetic series kind of...) but at the same time, classy. Hope that makes sense. I also thought about that new Hermes scent coming out soon, Kelly Caleche - maybe that will have this same 'high end leather goods' note in it (the smell of a Hermes bag?)

Have any more experienced Basenoters have similar experiences with leather (no, not THOSE kind of experiences...!)?

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Leather - a study in 3 parts

Interesting take. I've tended to categorize my leathers, too, but my categories differ slightly.

I've got the animalic leathers, in which group I include Cuir d'Oranger, Tabac Blond, Parfum d'Habit, and Auod Cuir d'Arabie.

Then I have the smoky leathers, including Idole de Lubin, Rebellius, Habanita (I know, Edwards calls it an oriental, but I smell plenty of leather in there,) and Palais Jamais.

Then, instead of the "buttery, fine" leathers, but perhaps close to them, are what I think of as the sweet fruity leathers. These include prominent notes of apricot, cherry, or plum and dry down very sweet on me. Here I'd include Cuir Ottoman (cherry), Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste (plum?), and especially Daim Blond (apricot).

And, by the way, I too favor the animalic ones, along with the smoky. The leathers I characterize as "fruity" usually seem too tame to me.

I've been stalking your posts just to hear your analysis on Tuscan Leather, mikeperez. Now both you and Vibert have given me some food for thought, re: leather categories. I have to go sniff these beauties again.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Mike, hello from Meridian Ave. I recently tried Eau de Gloire by Parfum d'Empire and to my nose it smelled very, I mean very, similiar to Tuscan Leather. EdG is not listed as a leather fragrance per se, it does have leather in the base, but my impression of Tuscan Leather is that it really isn't a true leather fragrance either. To me it smells of tobacco and smoke. Also, Daim Blond doesn't smell like suede to me either, more like an abstract idea of suede.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th May 2007 at 11:47 PM.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    ...Also, Daim Blond doesn't smell like suede to me either, more like an abstract idea of suede.
    I have to admit, I seem to be one of the few to pick up much real leather in Daim Blond. It does seem more up front in the opening, before the candied fruit nudges its way into the spotlight.

Anyone tried Eau d' Hermes? It was formulated by a leather company (originally saddles) which makes fine expensive leather bags for men/women amongnt other things. It's the richest leather I've ever smelled.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Anyone tried Eau d' Hermes? It was formulated by a leather company (originally saddles) which makes fine expensive leather bags for men/women amongnt other things. It's the richest leather I've ever smelled.
    Eau d'Hermes has been on my "to try" list for a long time. Still haven't gotten hold of a sample, but I think anything by Roudnitska is worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

1. Animalic leather - I've said this before, it was not necessarily the smell of musk or civet, but the smell of barnyard animals hides (when the animal is alive, not when its been skinned). Two scents that I feel this way about are: Film Noir by Ava Luxe and A.maze by People of the Labyrinths.

2. Freshly tanned (raw smellling) leather - no animal smell, perhaps a faint industrial 'tang' to the leather note that makes it smell (to my nose) like leather chaps or leather clothing (for lack of a better word). Scents: Cuir Ottoman by Parfums D'Empire, Cuir de Russie by Chanel, and Knize Ten.

Then there is this 'new' third one I smell in Tuscan Leather: high grade buttery fine leather. Akin to the smell of a brand new luxury automobile interior, or the smell of sticking your nose inside a new womans leather purse (a NICE woman's purse - maybe a Coach bag...) and inhaling the scent.

Have any more experienced Basenoters have similar experiences with leather (no, not THOSE kind of experiences...!)?
    mikeperez, if we could nominate a poster of the year, i would nominate you. your posts are ALWAYS interesting, informed and well-written.

my categories are animal/saddles (dzing, lonestar memories), black leather jacket/briefcase/motorcycle (bulgari black, parfum d'empire cuir ottoman) and handbags/gloves (cuir de russie, daim blonde, cabochard, chanel no. 19). so in a way i follow your three-part category, but they're not dissimilar. i wonder if the mental associations with leather goods affect our scented categorizations of them.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

I have to agree with the following Basenotes review of Eau d'Hermès, "Grace Kelly's handbag stuffed with Robert Mitchum's jockstrap. Pretty-dirty." by Cedarmoth , 25 April 2007
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th May 2007 at 04:04 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by quinpus View Post
    mikeperez, if we could nominate a poster of the year, i would nominate you. your posts are ALWAYS interesting, informed and well-written.

i wonder if the mental associations with leather goods affect our scented categorizations of them.
    Thanks quin...you're making me blush...

I have to admit, these handbag/car interior images I described are most definitely affecting the way I'm smelling TL. I own a Coach leather satchel [Xmas gift from my man] and I also have a leather interior car...so these are day-in/day-out leather smells I'm very familiar with. Just not applied as a fragrance...so luxuriously.

I have always wanted to try Eau d'Hermes but haven't. Will sniff soon - great recommendation!

Mike, hello from Meridian Ave. I recently tried Eau de Gloire by Parfum d'Empire and to my nose it smelled very, I mean very, similiar to Tuscan Leather. EdG is not listed as a leather fragrance per se, it does have leather in the base, but my impression of Tuscan Leather is that it really isn't a true leather fragrance either. To me it smells of tobacco and smoke.
    Meridian Avenue, huh? On the laptop at Starbucks, I bet?

Parfum D' Empire is such a sleeper line...I have only tried a few of their stuff because its hard to find here in Miami (I got samples from an Aedes order, that's how I got to try the ones I've sniffed...). Will keep my eye out for Eau de Glorie. However I got little smoke from TL - more like a smell of tar. Unlike Japan Noir by Tom Ford which was choking-on-SMOKE-cannot-breathe on me...

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    I've been stalking your posts just to hear your analysis on Tuscan Leather, mikeperez. Now both you and Vibert have given me some food for thought, re: leather categories. I have to go sniff these beauties again.
    I thought of you dimples this morning, when I grabbed the sample and put it on... Please resniff TL soon and post your comments...

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Then, instead of the "buttery, fine" leathers, but perhaps close to them, are what I think of as the sweet fruity leathers. These include prominent notes of apricot, cherry, or plum and dry down very sweet on me.

And, by the way, I too favor the animalic ones, along with the smoky. The leathers I characterize as "fruity" usually seem too tame to me.
    Another blogger called TL a 'fruity' leather so I expected to 'get' fruit (well...one of the listed notes is raspberry!) - but my nose got no fruit notes?? Would love to hear if others do, though...

Smile Re: Leather - a study in 3 parts

I bathed myself in Tuscan Leather tonight and went out for dinner at Joe Allens. It stays close, but it is always there. Do I have to part with $160 at BG next week? TL is sublime.

I've also a kind of "leather classification" scale that is a 3 part breakdown.

First, I categorize "fine leather" as those which remind me of new shoes, luggage, handbags and leather coats and jackets... the most delectable of which I have enjoyed of late is "Minotaure" - Paloma Picasso. When I wore this scent years ago it was the bitter orange notes that featured heavily on my skin. Nowdays the fine leather accord has moved to the foreground. LOVE it.

Second, I kind of throw all the less "lovely" leathers together - those that are synthetic leathers to the point they almost become "plastic" eg: "Style in Play" by Lacoste... the rather unlovely smell of highly treated/coloured leather footballs...

Third, I categorize the soft suede scents and animalic furs. "Richard James Saville Row" has a fine suede element, and Diptyque's "L'eau D'Élide" has a delightful faun note that is SO true to its source... warm, soft and fur/suede like.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 26th May 2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: tag error

I have to agree with the following Basenotes review of Eau d'Hermès, "Grace Kelly's handbag stuffed with Robert Mitchum's jockstrap. Pretty-dirty." by Cedarmoth , 25 April 2007
    I don't have any idea why Robert Mitchums jockstrap would be included and as far as dirty, Daim Blond smells like a sweaty baseball glove, in comparison, and I've worn quite a few.

Grace Kelly's handbag I agree. It has the smell of very well made leather from only the best hides.

--------------------------------------
    You may want to take a look at plurans review on the same page in the directory.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 26th May 2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Smile Re: Leather - a study in 3 parts

I don't have any idea why Robert Mitchums jockstrap would be included and as far as dirty, Daim Blond smells like a sweaty baseball glove, in comparison, and I've worn quite a few.

Grace Kelly's handbag I agree. It has the smell of very well made leather from only the best hides.

--------------------------------------
    You may want to take a look at plurans review on the same page in the directory.
    It's the cumin note, some people think it smells like sweat.

Of the third classification, Fine Leathe by Heeley is one of the finest examples. Yes indeed, it is soft buttery leather, like a fine pair of gloves; or the inside of a Longchamp folio case, beautiful, redolent of leather with a mysterious voilet. Wonderful, if a bit too "young" for me. If I were 30 again, I would wear this. As it is, I am happy cruising along in classification no. 2, with Knize Ten.

well, this thread has me thinking of leather, and was just perusing this description of "fine leather" that Joe Frances just mentioned, taken from the aedes website. sounds good.

"The traditional treatment of leather was to perfume it with floral essences, thus softening its rich animalic darkness. Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur (Fine Leather) conjures buttery leather steeped in violet essence. The honeyed leather of mimosa complements the smoky birch tar and suede notes, while the vetiver forms a refined woody base."

as for my experiences with leather frags, Tabac Blond remains my catnip holy grail leather scent, but I do love and consider essential, En Avion by Caron. Chanel no 19 is another leather scent that is one of my "want to keep close by forever" frags, the leather presence in this one is more delicate in my opinion. Daim Blond is wonderful too.
    I haven;t gotten to the point of classifying these into groups. I am still so enchanted with them individually as journeys unto themselves. Not sure if Tabac Blond will ever be eclipse by any other leather scent for me, though. First impression, first love kind of thing. We've got history.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

I am doing this from memory, not bothering to resniff to be absolutely sure so some scents may be placed in the wrong category. I may edit this list when I have a chance to retry some of those mentioned. Just saying that my choices are not set in stone.

My personal experience and classification of leather scents:
    Chypre Animalic: Avon Occur!, Estee Lauder Azuree, Fendi Donna, Halston Z-14, Trussardi Uomo, Paco Rabanne La Nuit
    Classic Woody / Soapy: Dior Jules, Aramis Aramis For Men, Dana English Leather, Fendi Uomo
    Classic Fresh: By D&G Man, Liz Claiborne Claiborne Men,
    Fine Leather Goods: Balmain Jolie Madame, Hermes Bel Ami, Guerlain Derby
    Riding Boots / Tack (Saddlery): Chanel Cuir de Russie, Creed Cuir de Russie
    Beef Jerky: Andy Taeur Lonestar Memories
    Medicinal Liniment / Raw Skins: Montale Cuir D'Arabie, Santa Maria Novella Peau D'Espagne
    Smoke (Candied or Dry): Caron Tabac Blond, Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, Ava Luxe Madame X, Gucci pour Homme, Guerlain Jicky, Maxim's Maxim pour Homme
    Suede: Ava Luxe Film Noir, Serge Lutens Daim Blond, Donna Karan New York, Michael Kors Michael For Men
    Last edited by moondeva; 27th May 2007 at 01:35 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Wink Re: Leather - a study in 3 parts

Leather - a study in 3 parts you say?

The best leather studied in 3 parts is:

1. Female

2. Leather Brazier

3. Leather thong.

Oh, was this a scent question? lol lol

Kiddin'.
    The search for the perfect cologne is like a composer searching for the ultimate note.

P.S. F' Imus...Stern is King!

I am bumping this thread because I could use the opinions of leather aficionados.
    I often see classic leather scents categorized as Spanish, Russian and English. I found a rough description in this thread http://www.basenotes.net/threads/216...=leather+types but I would like to ask if there is a defiinition of the three categories in terms of the notes that complement leather eg florals etc.
    My question comes from the fact that I am looking for a leather scent and there are several scents I would like to try but I would like to narrow down the list. For example I like Knize 10 types of leather but the leather note in Antaeus is much closer to what I am looking for. I was considering Cuir Mauresque but analogies drawn to Knize 10 by other BN kind of put me off. Parfum d' Empire Cuir Ottomane is quite good but not quite it. Montale leathers are very close to what I am looking for. Any ideas and clues on the categorization of leather scents?

Great insights about leathery frags! Honestly speaking, I tend to like most of the previous categories in this study.

Our own Helg has a wonderful twelve-part series about leather fragrances on her Perfume Shrine blog.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Our own Helg has a wonderful twelve-part series about leather fragrances on her Perfume Shrine blog.
    Thank you, I will study it.

Wow cpk, youve resurrected this old thread and i am forced to read my words from 2 or 3 years ago. I think my take on leather has changed enormously since then... proof positive that this hobby is indeed an education of sorts too!

Have you tried Royal English Leather by Creed? I find this one to be of the most luxurious scents I've ever worn, almost too much so. It is not edgy at all and is certainly like the "high grade buttery fine leather" that you described. An amazing fragrance experience, really.

You may need a scepter and a standing navy, but I'd give it a shot.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 17th January 2010 at 07:06 AM.

GAAH! And to think I was just recently at a boutique that sold Tuscan leather! I tried Black Orchid though...and was severely impressed! loved the decomposing plumb smell! Amazingly dark and poignant!

Also, Knize Ten is high up in my list!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Thanks for the links cpk and two roads. I love leather notes on frags

Just wondered if anyone has tried No. 11 by Roja Dove?

I was in his haute parfumerie a couple of weeks ago and spent a quite wonderful afternoon exploring some beautiful fragrances guided by a very knowledgeable chap called Marcel.

I started off with Caron Pour Homme and then got drawn into the seductive world of post-war Paris with Cravache and Bandit by Robert Piguet. I ended buying both as I couldn't choose between them. Despite the reformulation to my nose I still detect some faint and pleasant leather in Cravache. Bandit on the other hand is just plain dangerous.

But the most outstanding fragrance I was privy to that afternoon was Roja No. 11. I believe there are 19 special creations that have no name apart from their numbers. No. 11 was simply the most incredible leather I have ever come across. Unbelievably deep and rich yet cool and comforting. I really would have a hard time describing what kind of leather it is but I was immediately reminded of the powerful smell of a vintage car. That might put some people off as it indicates that its perhaps a slightly antiquated affair. Nothing could be further from the truth. It makes a very bold statement and I was incredibly conscious of it on my skin as I left Harrods and hopped on a bus. But I couldn't stop smelling my wrist. It genuinely felt exciting to be wearing it and that I believe is the mark of a truly great fragrance.

The disappointment is that Roja Dove's 'special' range is hugely expensive I understand and sadly completely out of my price range.

But I regard it as the finest leather I have ever known. Exquisite.

I dont know what it is...My leather picks are..
    Cuir de Russie by Chanel
    Dzing
    Daim Blond
    Dior Homme
    .....I like Tuscan Leather too.....
    I think I just figured my style out....I like candy leather!!!!

After my quest in the world of leather I decided that Cuir Ottoman comes closest to my ideal leather with Cuir Mauresque a very close runner up. CM doesn't have the amazing ambiguity of CO. Agressive, old almoste petrochemical leather drenched in feminine powder. The end result keeps you wondering deep into the drydown.

It's the cumin note, some people think it smells like sweat.
    I had the same impression cumin until I learned to cook with it, after which my perpective changed entirely. Now the problem: Many people have the sense it smells of dirty sweat, and to others it can be an appealing scent. To wear or not two wear frags with the cumin note?

I find it hard to group many leathers - they're often stand-alones, to my nose. For example, I find that there's a clean, new leather quality that is shared between Oud Cuir d'Arabie and Tuscan Leather, and a mellow, fruity leather quality shared between Tuscan Leather and Cuiron, but Cuiron has absolutely nothing in common with Oud Cuir d'Arabie to my nose.

It seems "leather" can come from all sorts of notes, including strikingly different ones such as oud, castoreum, birch tar, mugwort, quinolines, etc. It's hard for me to say what a "leather" note will smell like until I've sampled it.

As an aside, I tried layering L'Arte di Gucci ( castoreum ) and Oud Cuir d'Arabie ( leather ) a few days ago, and while the combination was not good, but I really couldn't shake the impression that it smelled like I had my face in a woman's leather purse! Again, not a nice blend, but much more leathery than either of the two alone.

I'm very curious about Aoud Leather at the moment, due to its comparisons with Tuscan Leather. I really like Tuscan Leather, it's just way too big on the raspberry for me, so I'm wondering if it's that leather minus the berry ( and plus oud is no bad thing, to be sure ).
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 5th March 2010 at 05:49 PM.

Where would one say that Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir falls within these classifications? Curious because it's popped up on some discounter sites and my trigger finger is itchy.

I've tried a bunch of leathers, and I tend to favor suede now. Of the "real" leathers, Everlast Original 1910 could smell like one of their boxing gloves. It's not animalic yet it's not "raw" nor "buttery" either. Should this kind of leather note be classified as a fourth possibility? From what I remember, it's the same leather note as in Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir (I prefer EO 1910 to it, so I swapped it off).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th March 2010 at 09:25 PM.

The eponymous Cuiron seems to be absent from these conversations? By the way, I really have fallen under the spell of Tuscan Leather and may soon have to spring for it......

Have any more experienced Basenoters have similar experiences with leather?
    LOL! Oh the irony! How far you have come since 2007.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 5th March 2010 at 11:04 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    LOL! Oh the irony! How far you have come since 2007.
    Maybe Mike 2010 can answer Mike 2007's question.

Just so I can get a point of reference, where does Creed's Royal English Leather land in this spectrum?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Just so I can get a point of reference, where does Creed's Royal English Leather land in this spectrum?
    This is almost the definitive leather to me, as it is all about the leather note. Everything else in the fragrance is just like putting sugar in coffee -it's still coffee.

I was in Harrods recently and the SA at the Dior counter assured my that Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir was going to be re-released in April. To be honest I think she might have been referring to some other Eau Sauvage flanker but I really hope it does make an appearance again as I've never tried it and judging by how much I adore Eau Sauvage I'm sure I'll love it.
    Delivery/postal issues mean I can't get a bottle online sent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I'm very curious about Aoud Leather at the moment, due to its comparisons with Tuscan Leather. I really like Tuscan Leather, it's just way too big on the raspberry for me, so I'm wondering if it's that leather minus the berry ( and plus oud is no bad thing, to be sure ).
    They are almost identical but I found Aoud Leather to be a bit less harsh and more of what I expect a leather to smell like. I also found it to be be just as fruity. I remember thinking that AL was easier to wear but In the end I found them too similar to own at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    This is almost the definitive leather to me, as it is all about the leather note. Everything else in the fragrance is just like putting sugar in coffee -it's still coffee.
    I've never smelled a leather fragrance that smelled like leather. leather is a cured and preserved product. Most leather that we come into contact with...close enough to smell it...is some sort of chrome tannage. It has no smell on its own...at least not to my nose.

Vegetable tannages tend to smell more or less with the heaviest notes coming from English and German pit tanned leathers using oak bark and/or acorn caps. And these leathers tend to smell somewhat yeasty and offensive. One wag described it as "beer hall vomit."

Even the famous Russia leather had minimal odor until it was dressed with Birch Tar Oil.

What we smell and associate with leather tends to be the dressings that are applied after the leather is tanned and finished. In the case of Russia leather it is the Birch Tar; in the case of English leather it is the saddlesoap.

When we talk about what leather smells like we are really talking about what the dressings smell like...and they themselves often contain fragrances. It follows that many leather fragrances are more about the fragrances that are used in the dressings than the smell of leather itself.

Essentially we're talking about a fragrance smelling like another fragrance.
    Tight Stitches
    DWFII--Member HCC

When we talk about what leather smells like we are really talking about what the dressings smell like...and they themselves often contain fragrances. It follows that many leather fragrances are more about the fragrances that are used in the dressings than the smell of leather itself.

Essentially we're talking about a fragrance smelling like another fragrance.[/QUOTE] by DWFII

Man that's great! Ive never would have thought about that at all!
    Last edited by ANGIESDOEBOY; 6th March 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Essentially we're talking about a fragrance smelling like another fragrance.[/QUOTE]

Thats very interesting! I would have never in A million years even thought about the chemicals giving leather that unique smell.

Quote Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
    I've never smelled a leather fragrance that smelled like leather. leather is a cured and preserved product. Most leather that we come into contact with...close enough to smell it...is some sort of chrome tannage. It has no smell on its own...at least not to my nose.

Vegetable tannages tend to smell more or less with the heaviest notes coming from English and German pit tanned leathers using oak bark and/or acorn caps. And these leathers tend to smell somewhat yeasty and offensive. One wag described it as "beer hall vomit."

Even the famous Russia leather had minimal odor until it was dressed with Birch Tar Oil.

What we smell and associate with leather tends to be the dressings that are applied after the leather is tanned and finished. In the case of Russia leather it is the Birch Tar; in the case of English leather it is the saddlesoap.

Essentially we're talking about a fragrance smelling like another fragrance.
    Indeed. I was referring to the notes in perfumes that are commonly known as leather, not the smell of leather itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    They are almost identical but I found Aoud Leather to be a bit less harsh and more of what I expect a leather to smell like. I also found it to be be just as fruity. I remember thinking that AL was easier to wear but In the end I found them too similar to own at the same time.
    Sounds like I'm missing nothing by just owning Oud Cuir d'Arabie, then.

I believe futami was comparing Aoud Leather to Tuscan Leather. ACdA is a bold avant garde leather, Aoud Leather is more conventional but more wearble leather.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    I believe futami was comparing Aoud Leather to Tuscan Leather. ACdA is a bold avant garde leather, Aoud Leather is more conventional but more wearble leather.
    My biggest objection to the Tom Ford is the enormous raspberry note I smell in it. I'm really not a fan of berry notes ( things like Love In Black are just gross to me ), and if Aoud Leather is as berry-laden as Tuscan Leather, there's no reason for me to hunt it down.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 7th March 2010 at 01:57 AM.

I can't remember a berry note. But then MPG has blueberry in many of their scents and it doesn't seem to annoy me.
    Last edited by cpk; 8th March 2010 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    My biggest objection to the Tom Ford is the enormous raspberry note I smell in it. I'm really not a fan of berry notes ( things like Love In Black are just gross to me ), and if Aoud Leather is as berry-laden as Tuscan Leather, there's no reason for me to hunt it down.
    I agree--I do not think that the raspberry note is needed. I get a plum note from Cuiron--there seems to be some need to marry fruit and leather. REL has a mandarin note, for example. That said, TL is special.

I have been wearing Elsha 1776 more and more and I gotta say, it is a great Russian leather scent--really good stuff.

Wearing Tuscan Leather today (Tom Ford) - one of my favorite so far. This is not a review of Tuscan Leather, but instead, a reaction to a leather note that I don't think I've ever come upon until now. Up to now the leather I've experienced fell into two general categories (to my nose):

I feel more drawn towards the animalic leathers I first mentioned (just cuz I like edgy scents) but Tuscan Leather's leather note has stopped me in my tracks...quite different and tenacious. Almost in an industrial way (CdG Synthetic series kind of...) but at the same time, classy. Hope that makes sense. I also thought about that new Hermes scent coming out soon, Kelly Caleche - maybe that will have this same 'high end leather goods' note in it (the smell of a Hermes bag?)

I wanted to bump this thread because, through my sneaking around, I came across it and found it to be a very good discussion on one of my favorite styles.

I prefer the tanned leather smell.

I for one LOVE the Raspberry note in Tuscan Leather. Its the berry note playing off the Leather that eventually made me cave to temptation and purchase a bottle. The one thing I had to get use to was the bit of ash that hits during the first few minutes. I feel some classify it as smoke, but I sence it more as a cool ash. But as the leather and berry come on strong it blends in and the ash fade for me. I also like a spray of Oud Wood with TL from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    I for one LOVE the Raspberry note in Tuscan Leather. Its the berry note playing off the Leather that eventually made me cave to temptation and purchase a bottle. The one thing I had to get use to was the bit of ash that hits during the first few minutes. I feel some classify it as smoke, but I sence it more as a cool ash. But as the leather and berry come on strong it blends in and the ash fade for me. I also like a spray of Oud Wood with TL from time to time.
    You will also like Charles Street by Mark Birley. This is a more subtle version of Tuscan Leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    You will also like Charles Street by Mark Birley. This is a more subtle version of Tuscan Leather.

Nice, I would definatly like to sample If I run across this, Thanks!