Code of Conduct

Default Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts for Men vs Creed Virgin Island Water

My favorite thing about VIW is the first fifteen minutes or so. After that the coconut is a little too dominant for my personal tastes. Overall I think VIW is a very nice fragrance. I was recently gifted a bottle of Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts for Men and was stunned at the quality of this scent. It wears thisclose to the first fifteen minutes of VIW...but the really good news is that is remains pretty constant throughout the wearing - allowing me much more time to enjoy the "opening act of VIW" that I like so much. St Barts for me is a perfect trilogy of Lime, Coconut, and "booze"...held together with a mild salty scent similar to the Erolfa note.

I'm a loyal Creed guy but if I could only keep one of these two bottles...I would choose St Barts without hesitation. (As an aside, I could sell the VIW and buy about 3-4 more bottles of St Barts - but I won't, I like VIW too)

St Barts comes in a pretty cool bottle, and the longevity and sillage are comparable to VIW. It's not highly available in the US (yet) as it's a fairly new release. Try this one if you get a chance guys. It's a great summer scent.

Have a great weekend all...
    Last edited by Mikey Q; 27th May 2007 at 12:59 AM.

Default Re: Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts for Men vs Creed Virgin Island Water

Controlling and blending the coconut in with the composition is what impresses me the most in VIW.

Set Sail St. Bernard is a nice fragrance and I like the lime/top notes in this one, but as is the case with most fragrances which attract consumers by displaying fancy top notes it degenerates into a generic marine/aquatic fragrance pretty fast while VIW's middle and base shows off more interesting notes (I just love that rum, ginger and musk accord!).

Overall for the price TBSSSBfM is a good effort, but I will stick with the clearer notes, 'nut, and depth of VIW.
    -

Default Re: Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts for Men vs Creed Virgin Island Water

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Controlling and blending the coconut in with the composition is what impresses me the most in VIW.

Set Sail St. Bernard is a nice fragrance and I like the lime/top notes in this one, but as is the case with most fragrances which attract consumers by displaying fancy top notes it degenerates into a generic marine/aquatic fragrance pretty fast while VIW's middle and base shows off more interesting notes (I just love that rum, ginger and musk accord!).

Overall for the price TBSSSBfM is a good effort, but I will stick with the clearer notes, 'nut, and depth of VIW.
    zz, when you wore St Barts was your experience like mine in that the coconut scent warmly remained with the fragrance through drydown? Did you also experience the presence of the rich "Erolfa-similar marine/salt scent" that for me carried the scent through drydown?

Thanks for your feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    zz, when you wore St Barts was your experience like mine in that the coconut scent warmly remained with the fragrance through drydown? Did you also experience the presence of the rich "Erolfa-similar marine/salt scent" that for me carried the scent through drydown?

Thanks for your feedback...
    Yes theres a salty feel in there - infact, it might be more similar to Bond no. 9 Coney Island (which also has a marine/salt note) than VIW. You might want to check that one out.
    -

Cool Re: Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts for Men vs Creed Virgin Island Water

Forget about those two, try Azuree Soleil Skinscent from Estee Lauder. It is marketed for women but it has an amazing "end of day at the beach, sweaty, suntan lotion, dry sea smell" that it's AMAZING and long lasting unlike the coconut Pledge smell from Creed.

It his hard to find, sold-out in many stores but worth it!

Basenotes Institution

I really really wanted to like St. Barts but when I sampled it (I bought some carded samples on Ebay) I was truly disappointed.

I originally bought St. Barts because of the lime notes (if a lime note is done right, as in the case of Virgin Island Water, it smells pretty wonderful on me). I got the lime upon application but then I got the tequila note even more strongly and it stayed around for about 30 minutes. It was quite embarrassing (I smelled like I spilled a drink on my body) and annoying (I don't like the smell of tequila...it made me slightly queasy). Secondly, I got NO COCONUT. None.

Then, as zz said - it turned into basically Tommy Bahama Set Sail. Which is incredibly boring to my nose.

I gave away my 2nd sample. Just not for me.

I will agree with Peter - once I ran out of my decant of Virgin Island Water, I bought Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche and I love it (the coconut note I can smell in ASEF and its subtle). Tom Ford has produced an inexpensive, quality summer scent that is NOT just for the ladies, guys. That is, if you can still find it...

Azuree Soleil eau fraiche is nice and opens with a luscious accord which combines coconut and gardenia to great effect - the coconut is not overdone and neither is the gardenia. This is definitely Soleils highpoint and its too bad that this phase lasts for mere seconds before the fragrance dips into a more restrained act of a moderate heart of jasmin and magnolia. The drydown is dominated by caramel and little sandalwood, but the sweetness factor is kept in check by good use of orange flowers. There it lays on your skin like a true skin scent - a layer of sweet woody cool aroma. Being of eau fraiche strength, its not a very complicated scent, doesnt project much, and slams on to the drydown phase pretty fast but it does manage to last for atleast 4 hours.

Azuree Soleil is more similar to Caramel Sunset by CSP than it is to Virgin Island Water. Coconut as a note can either be used to control other dominant notes (like as in Carnal Flower where it's used to counterbalance the heavy tuberose note), or it can be the main focus of the fragrance itself like as in Virgin Island Water (and a few other fragrances). Problems (that suntan lotion smell!) arise when a fragrance is constructed around the coconut note, and thats what Creed chose to tackle with VIW. All the stories of relaxing on the islands with royal couples etc are fancy and good, but VIW is all about presenting a beautifully balanced coconut note. Creed have done well in the past with solving problems with "troublesome and overused" notes with Erolfa (sea salt/marine), Baie de Genievre (juniper) amongst others. In VIW they present a solution to another hard to control note: coconut.

Azuree Soleil, Tommy St. Barts., VIW, Coney Island, Bahiana and other tropical scents all highlight different notes. It depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is. Its good to have so many choices.
    Last edited by zztopp; 27th May 2007 at 11:14 PM.
    -

Thumbs up Re: Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts for Men vs Creed Virgin Island Water

In VIW they present a solution to another hard to control note: coconut.
    So ZZ, Creed cracked the coconut conundrum? I find your writing to be very lucid and addictive. I look forward to your posts. Cheers!

I think that you have missed the boat, here---Set Sail has notes of tequila (?!), lime and musk. Coconut is not a big component--unlike the excellent but in my opinion unwearable VIW. Both targeted as "vacation" fragrances but other than the lime note, that is where the similarity ends. I am a big Creed fan and not at all of a TB fan (I don't wear Aloha shirts) but oddly enough, the Set Sail Fragrance is growing on me. VIW, while wonderful, is basically unwearable, unless you want others to think that you are wearing Tropic Tan (this would be laughed at in a board room). On a different note, any LA BNers might be interested to know that Sharon, the Creed rep at Nieman Marcus in BH, is now the regional rep for Tommy Bahama.

With all due respect, and not trying to be argumentative, I disagree about the "Board Room" comment. I've been a CEO for 12 years, and any scent that smells like a vacation would be most welcome in that environment!

Glad to hear that you keep a sense of humor on your board! I stand corrected (can I come and work for you?).

Some meetings can get testy, but for the most part, we can laugh from time to time. We laugh to keep from crying sometimes! The healthcare industry can be a real rollercoaster.

I just tried VIW for the first time yesterday, and Set Sail today. I actually enjoyed the opening of SS over Creed. I picked up some kind of transparent floral note in it (think Lacoste Essential) that really added some depth, and yes, that salty note was there.

While SS led for the initial lap thanks to a stronger first impression, VIW won the race by a mile: SS lasted about 2 hours before turning into a faint, barely detectable musk. On the other hand, VIW lasted over 8 hours, making it the lengthiest Creed I've worn. Not only could I still detect VIW at the end of the day, but it still had good sillage - now that is what I call a quality frag!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    On the other hand, VIW lasted over 8 hours, making it the lengthiest Creed I've worn. Not only could I still detect VIW at the end of the day, but it still had good sillage - now that is what I call a quality frag!
    Yeah, I'm finding VIW to have some incredible longevity myself. The funny thing is, when it goes on-- it almost seems like such a fragile, soft type of fragrance you just expect it to disappear in an hour. Especially with that natural smelling lime. The other day I wore VIW and twelve hours after application it was still going strong-- even those lime notes. Then the next day when I got in the shower and the water hit my chest-- the breezy smell of VIW came wafting up nicely.

I think part of it's success is that it has kind of an "oily" quality about it. You'll notice that it feels a bit oiler than other fragrances and I'll bet that there is a very large amount of pure oils in VIW. And that impresses me most is the how "level" its sillage is. It doesn't smell much weaker at five or six hours than it does at one hour. And it never seems really strong upon application.

One or two good sprays to the chest and I'm good until I decide to wash it off.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

I will agree with Peter - once I ran out of my decant of Virgin Island Water, I bought Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche and I love it (the coconut note I can smell in ASEF and its subtle). Tom Ford has produced an inexpensive, quality summer scent that is NOT just for the ladies, guys. That is, if you can still find it...
    Just to let you know, after the top notes evaporate, Obsession Night for men smells very similar to Soleile Eau Fraiche.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Doesn't seem to be all that hard to find. Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, and Nordstrom all have it in stock on their websites.

I have tried both VIW and SS and I liked SS a bit better. With VIW all I caught were strong lime notes (even hours after spraying) which smelled artificial to me. SS is just fun, so much so I bought a bottle of it yesterday, I could still smell it on me this morning when I woke up, I sprayed it yesterday afternoon. I did get a lot of compliments with SS at the luau I attended last night.

I don't have Neiman Marcus close by, but I've been wanting a new summer scent, and had been tempted to buy the SS for a while now. However, my wife didn't seem to care for it much, so I waited. We wound up by chance at Neiman Marcus last week while on vacation, and decided to give VIW a try. I really liked VIW, but thought my wife wouldn't care for it because I found it similar to SS at first pass. I was wrong. She thought it was great, and I wound up leaving with a small bottle. Not long after, I had her smell SS again, and she still didn't like it. They smelled similar to me, but she really could tell a difference.

(On a side note, I think my wife is also sold on SMW, so we might wind up with that soon, as well).

I just picked up samples of VIW and SMW yesterday for my fella, in the hope that it will lure him away from cheap stinky bodysprays. I'm testing VIW myself today. Now I absolutey HATE marines, but this is really great. It starts with a lovely zingy lime, with hint of very well blended coconut and a hint of spicy booze that reminds me of the Old Spice my dad used to wear when I was a child.
    The longevity is excellent - I keep getting fragrant wafts of this where I applied it on my chest. A really good summer scent.

Basenotes Institution

Just to let you know, after the top notes evaporate, Obsession Night for men smells very similar to Soleile Eau Fraiche.
    REALLY...I have a little Obsession 'mini' - I'll take it for a test run and see if I detect the similarities.

I go for VIW...for a Creed fragrance it last very long and the notes (Lime, Coconut, Ginger, Rum) come and goes...it is sooo amazing.