Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving to Boston

Hi all,

I'm moving from sunny Queensland, Australia (summer temp 30C/85F winter temp 15C/60F) to chilly Boston, MA, USA for 2 years!

As you can see from ny wardrobe, I have favoured summery fragrances for a long time, although since joining BN have developed a small collection of wintery ones.

Anyway, there is no way I can take 50 bottles with me to the US. I've limited myself to 10. Not necessarily my top 10, but the ten I would use most spread out over 2 years in Boston. I'll be working in a professional capacity.

So could you all help by reviewing my wardrobe and suggesting 10? I know this takes a little bit of time and understand if you can't be bothered, but would appreciate your help nonetheless.

Thanks!

Ged

PS This doesn't take into account the insane amount of purchasing I'll be doing over there, with websites seeling stuff so damn cheaply!
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Default Re: Moving to Boston

Definitely your Malles and Creeds and a couple of the Guerlains and a couple of your absolute favorite hot weather scents.

Boston can be opressively hot in summer, especially August - the city is a heat sink with all the steel and concrete - and humid to boot, being on a bay rather than facing an open ocean. But you'll need the cold weather scents like MR for the winter for sure. And have fun! Don't miss going "leaf peeping" in the autumn and escaping to the North Shore or Cape Cod on hot summer weekends.
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaelynn View Post
    And have fun! Don't miss going "leaf peeping" in the autumn and escaping to the North Shore or Cape Cod on hot summer weekends.
    I agree with Jaelynn's advice and would add Terre dH to your bring list.

If you get lost easily bring a small compass...many winding roads to get around all the water. Be sure to sample the Chowder. And be prepared to drop the letter "R" from your vocabulary....

Good luck & best regards...

Talking Re: Moving to Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    I agree with Jaelynn's advice and would add Terre dH to your bring list.

If you get lost easily bring a small compass...many winding roads to get around all the water. Be sure to sample the Chowder. And be prepared to drop the letter "R" from your vocabulary....

Good luck & best regards...
    So you'll be pronouncing "chowder" as "chowdah" with slight accent on the first syllable.
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the U.S. and I hope you enjoy your stay. All of the responses above are completely spot on - pray that you don't have to drive too much; the traffic is atrocious and the streets of Boston are extremely haphazard - most are based on cow paths circa 1700. Yes the summers are very hot and very humid - exacerbated by the hilliness of the city and the fact that the houses are stacked like cordwood - but on the other hand, the winters are fairly mild for the American Northeast. The temperature will be colder than you are used to, but the snowfall does not last long - the harbor does a nice job of mitigating the snowfall and the temperature extremes. (Most years )
    For scents, I would be sure to include something for the autumn - Dunhill Edition, Green Irish Tweed, and Bois du Portugal would be in order. I assure you, the look, smell, and overall feel of Boston in autumn is one that you will not soon forget. As far as chowder, I would recommend Legal Seafood, the Union Oyster House, and most especially Jimmy's Harborside, which is tucked away in the warehouse district, and has world-class clam and seafood chowder, and the best seafood boullabaise you will ever taste, anywhere. (No, I don't work there)

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Ged,
    I hope you have a great time there! Boston is one of my favorite cities, and I enjoy fragrance shopping there. For instance, I like to go to Barneys (yes, I believe there's no apostrophe) right near Copley Square and bathe in the Serge Lutens and Frederic Malles. I've posted about that at greater length in the City Shopping forum. Despite infrequent visits, I got to know the T (subway) system well enough that I could give people directions. I'm getting all nostalgic just thinking about all the great things in that city.

Maybe you're headed for Havard Medical school or one of the hospitals?

I would suggest PM'ing Joel_Cairo. He's in Cambridge, as I recall, and he's a very nice guy and knows the scene there as well as anyone.

Bon Voyage,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a collection there!

I would choose the following ten :

Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Chanel Antaeus
    Creed Bois Du Portugal
    Dior Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Derby
    Malle Musc Ravageur
    Van Cleef pour homme
    YSL M7
    YSL Opium pour homme

Wow...look at that list....top tier stuff if I may say so myself !
    -

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would suggest, being from NY, which is a very close relative of MA, the following:

Colonia Assoulta
    Antaeus
    D&G pour Homme
    Musc Ravageur
    Gucci pour Homme
    Terre d'Hermes
    XS pour Homme
    Body Kouros
    M7
    Rive Gauche pour Homme

Those are the 10 that I would bring if I was you but I'm not so those are what I suggest to you.

Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing is that after you move there, once you get on a computer, we won't know much difference - unless you really bemoan the weather.

Why waste your good stuff? Take some of your lowest rated stuff over there and start using it up (there's always someone who'll think it's good). When it's time to leave, you can leave it there, and it won't use up your precious baggage allowance carrying back the good ones you've bought during your stay.
    Renato
    --------------------------------------
    Alternatively, do what I did when I went to Italy - select the bottles that only have 10 or 20ml left in them, and use them up when you get there. That way you won't be bringing the heavy bottles back with you.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 28th May 2007 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Jaelyn, oppressive heat and humidity I can handle, seeing we have that for about 6 months of the year. I agree that the Creeds are a must, Malle VE will definitely go, and 2-3 summer scents.

Mikey Q, TdH is close to no.1 for me, I'll be taking my last 20mL and buying a few backup bottles. I tried the chowdah a few times when I was visiting last year, superb! And a lobster breadroll too, both from Legals. Cheap too, although I have to get used to adding 15-20% on for tips.

Mr Blowtorch, I'm hoping to get away without buying a car for the 2 years, rely on public transport for day to day stuff, and hire cars on weekends for road trips. If you combine car purchase, parking, fuel etc I think it'd be cheaper to just hire a car once every 2-3 weekends. Mild winters? That's good to hear! Yes I agree all of those you suggested will be on the list.

Cognoscento, yes Barneys is awesome isn't it? I couldn't believe how generous they were with samples - I think I got a 10mL decant of Chergui!!!

zztopp and envyus yes you have picked a lot of my favourites, and a nice mix of summer and winter frags. thanks!

Renato, interesting suggestion. Certainly I'll be picking up quite a few over there, so it wouldn't hurt to use up some bottles. Only problem is, once one owns >30 bottles as most people here would do, it's difficult to get through 1/2 bottle let alone a full one (and i mostly buy smaller 50ml). The only 2 close to being finished are Dior Homme and Terre d'Hermes, both of which will be coming with me and being replaced over there

So far i'm leaning towards:

Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Chanel Antaeus
    Dunhill Edition
    Terre d'Hermes
    YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme
    YSL M7 or Body Kouros or Opium
    Creed Bois Du Portugal
    Creed GIT
    Dior Homme
    Malle VE
    Malle MR
    at least one Guerlain (leaning towards serious Derby/Heritage, but how could I leave behind sexy Habit Rouge, versatile Vetiver, and L'Instant would go well in cold weather?)

Hmmm... I realise not only is that more than 10, it's actually identical to my top 10 list! I haven't got very far have I? I suppose that reinforces my tastes, so maybe I should just stick with that???
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime