Code of Conduct

Default Speaking of Vanilla

I think I'd like a dry, airy, 'white' vanilla. It seems most of the descriptors say 'rich, dark, intense' and that seems great in winter. But what about hot weather? Is there such a thing as a 'cooler' vanilla?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Thrax

Default Re: Speaking of Vanilla

I have just the suggestion for you! Try Vanille Bourbon by Il Profumo. I swear that when you spray it is smells like it has been in the fridge for days! It is one of the most amazing vanilla things that I have ever smelled in my life and I suggest it to anyone. It is just a bit to feminine for me to wear so I gave my bottle to my little sister. But damn if I was a girl, I'd wear it everyday of the week, in any weather.

What about Pi, could work maybe?

Obsession Sheer is a beautiful Vanilla that is light and not too much for warmer weather.

Ava Luxe Milk???
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Laura Biagiotti Tempore Donna -- white and light, with caramel;
    Gabriele Strehle Strenesse;
    L'Artisan Vanilia;
    Molinard Autour de Vanille, and there is a few more from Molinard;
    Louis Ferraud -- with pear;
    CSP Vanille Passion -- naive, tender;
    Laura Tonatto Plaisir;
    La Maison de la Vanilla -- all their 8 fragrances are worth trying, 4 of them can be ordered in a set.

L'Occitane Eau de Vaniliers is more floral than foody.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Blog Entries

My warm weather vanillas include:

Dunhill Desire For A Woman
    L'Artisan Vanilia
    Anna Sui Sui Dreams
    Dana French Vanilla
    Chopard Mira Bai
    Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light (a lighter, less dense / gourmand twin to Milk)
    Yves Rocher Vanilla Bourbon
    Nemat Vanilla Musk
    TBS Vanilla (especially in the body spray)
    Guerlain Shalimar Light
    Calvin Klein Obsession Night
    Sonia Bogner Bath & Body
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

How about Aqua Allegoria Ylang & Vanille?

You might also try Un Lys. There's a very rich, sensual lily at the top, but it dries into a light, skin scent vanilla musk that would be lovely in warm weather.

EDIT: I see you already have this in your Wardrobe. I guess that makes my description unnecessary. Still, you might try it mid-craving just to see if it suits the mood.
    Last edited by djuna; 27th May 2007 at 03:38 PM.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    I have just the suggestion for you! Try Vanille Bourbon by Il Profumo. I swear that when you spray it is smells like it has been in the fridge for days! It is one of the most amazing vanilla things that I have ever smelled in my life and I suggest it to anyone. It is just a bit to feminine for me to wear so I gave my bottle to my little sister. But damn if I was a girl, I'd wear it everyday of the week, in any weather.

Oh, baby! You're back!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I feel equipped for my next obsession! I'll check out notes and study every one of them---you know I will!

One that I am really enjoying at the moment is the new Matthew Williamson Incense. I never smelled the old one, so I have nothing to compare it to, but this is a really deceptively simple incense, along the lines of Bois d'Encens, mixed with exactly the right amount of vanilla to add just a touch of sweetness. Light, dry, crisp, a decent amount of sillage, and a pleasure to wear.

This thread is making me hungry!! Too many gorgeous descriptions. I want to get a bottle of Lutens' Un Bois Vanille posthaste. However, I don't think that would fit into your requirements of "cool vanilla" at all...

UGH! About a year & a half ago I had a sample of something & it was a cold vanilla, like vanilla ice cream, but I cannot remember for the life of me what it was. I typed vanilla into Luckyscents search engine hoping I'd recognize it but NO...no clue.

Try the Molinard line Autour de la Vanille. It may be a bit difficult to find. You can order from Molinard's website, though. They have a Freshness Vanilla and a Marine Vanilla you might be interested in.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Hmmm, that does sound interesting...Freshness and Marine---I can't quite imagine!

Great thread, Shycat. Most vanillas are very warm, rich, intense, and suitable for cold weather. I'm with you in wanting one that's fresher - and I imagine the juice would be white or clear, as opposed to yellowy gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Hmmm, that does sound interesting...Freshness and Marine---I can't quite imagine!
    I can't quite tell you anymore which ones I preferred, mainly because on the day I smelled all of them, I was just getting over food poisoning! (It was on my honeymooon in Paris... alas)

But I do think they're all good... unlike the Laurent Dumont line, or the Comptoir Sud Pacifique line, both of which tend to have some doozies.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I agree with Moondeva on
    Guerlain Shalimar Light
    Calvin Klein Obsession Night.
    Just a month ago I commenting on how Obsession Night is a perfect summer fragrance. I wear it during the day sometimes in the winter, but I enjoy it most during the summer months. It's a refreshing vanilla.
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis

I love vanilla but can't do it in warm weather. Under duress my vote goes to the previously mentioned eau des vanilliers. (i know i botched the spelling on that one) very interesting to me the comments on obsession night/sheer.......never got vanilla out of either one.....must be my nose

Default my white vanillas

TBS Vanilla is a "bright" vanilla, i love it in summer!

Kenzo Amour is a ricey-milky-vanilla with some cotton-y florals in the topnotes... a nice summer choice for vanilla lovers, also a white vanilla, to me.

and there is also:
    L'Instant by Guerlain it's not pure vanilla of course, but a vanillic floral - you might give it a try. (The EdP version is more vanillic than the EdT.)
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bellarosa View Post
    I love vanilla but can't do it in warm weather. Under duress my vote goes to the previously mentioned eau des vanilliers. (i know i botched the spelling on that one)
    That's the one by L'Occitane-- it will be easy for me to test. I only spell for show myself, in my notes everything is abbreviated "nilla", like the wafer. I actually love icy banana puddings made with them, and I own Vanille Banane from CSP. I always feel a little goofy when I wear it since I wonder what grandmotherly ladies think-- "Honey, you gotta hold the top on the blender, and never lift up the mixer while it's on."

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I always feel a little goofy when I wear it since I wonder what grandmotherly ladies think-- "Honey, you gotta hold the top on the blender, and never lift up the mixer while it's on."

I love those Nilla waffers. We don't have them here in Oz.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery