Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance fragrance everywhere & not a drop to wear

The same companies that produce perfume oils for fragrances produce perfume oils for fragrant products, which these days means virtually everything. Though they obvious scrupulously avoid making public the industrial connection between a $90 luxury scent and a $4.99 toilet cleaner I can't help but notice that many perfumes remind me of, well, things I don't want them to remind me of. And I'm keen on starting a - purely virtual - collection of these on this thread with your help.

IF YOU'RE FRAGRANCE PERCEPTION IS ADVERSELY AFFECTED BY A THIRD PARTY'S ASSOCIATIONS DO NOT READ ON!

Here's my four 'favorites', which I would claim are so close to be beyond purely subjective connotation:

1. MPG Sécret Mélange: German urinal cakes, a brand ubiquitous in public toilets at least in the Rhein-Main area.

2. AdP Arancia di Capri: orange-based all purpose household cleaner

3. Eau de Caron Forte: Citrus toilet gel - the stuff in the little dispensers you hang into the toilet bowl. It took a while for me to grasp what was bothering me about it.

4. Léonard pour homme: The clove in this makes it smell exactly like the powdered soap (you have to turn a plastic wheel on the dispenser to get it out - very cult 50s ) you still find in the lavatories of some older German trains (ICs)

So, where are your lemon pledges?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Fragrance fragrance everywhere & not a drop to wear

Haven't got any direct ones at the moment but I did come home the other day and think, "what's that great aquatic fragrance?... I don't usually like aquatics...... who has been in our house?......" etc. Then I realised it was the toilet cleaning product.

You are right though Tom, we shouldn't think about it too hard because the connections are probably very strong.

Oh yes. The person who developed the fragrance for urinal cakes commonly in use here in the UK had definitely smelled orange spice and Kouros before........
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Muscs Koublai Khan supposedly smells like sweaty armpits and cow dung, but I dont get these associations at all...
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Muscs Koublai Khan supposedly smells like sweaty armpits and cow dung, but I dont get these associations at all...
    zz,

I think the_good_life is talking about functional products, such as shampoo, conditioner, laundry detergent etc.

I'll add one to your list t_g_l. The bulk, wholesale arm of Walmart, Sam's Club, has a shampoo under their Member's Mark brand that smells very much like one of my favorite fragrances Parfums 06130's Yuzu Rouge. In this instance, that's a good thing.

scentemental

I said it before and I say it here again: Creed's Selection Verte smells exactly like the yellow Nimm Zwei and Amouage's Ciel and Arcus smell like bath cleaner pitched to perfection, but nevertheless the image behind those scents is bathroom and bathroom again.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 22nd May 2007 at 07:55 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Allure Homme and my old apartment's floor polish! Dead on match! I'd smell the other in each circumstance: walk into apartment building lobby--hey, the army must be issuing Allure Homme these days and marching at brigade strength in here and up the stairs to the roof; catch a whiff as a guy walks by me in a restaurant--hey, that must be a popular floor polish since they use it here too.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Rive Gauche PH as the shaving cream, as many have noted. I like the smell of shaving cream, but not all day long!

And Terre d'Hermes. A citrus cleanser, specifically tangerine. Not much else in there, except maybe some of the dirt the cleaner was sprayed upon.

Not that there isn't more to those two frags, but the ever-present industrial aromas ruin it for me.

Not so with Live Jazz. It reminded me of Noxzema Triple Clean astringent. But this was a good touchstone, as I've always liked the smell of that aftershave/pimple medication. And so Live Jazz is currently the "go-to" scent in my wardrobe.

Sound like Coleridge's poem--water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink. LOL.
    Last edited by KiatBkk; 24th May 2007 at 09:06 AM.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Cool Water femme smells like toilet freshener Air Something and one of Air Breeze dishwasher - it`s almost everywhere...

Prompted by a recent discussion on Carnal Flower I am wearing that perfume today to assess if I like it or not. I smell like hair removal cream in an airless bathroom. Perhaps I'll find enough left in my sample vial to defoliate my limbs this evening.

Timely thread Good_Life!

I just noticed something tonight at work. For the two years that I have been working at my hotel, there is this one point in the evening where the whole place smells like Kouros. When the restaurant closes and the tavern is still open, the bussers make a fresh bucket of mopwater and mop the floor of the restaurant. The detergent they use is obviously based on Kouros. Hell, the first week on the job I thought the bussers wore Kouros, then I realized it was the mopwater detergent.

So tonight, the restaurant was closing and out of nowhere I got the unmistakeable whiff of Prada Amber pour Homme. I looked around to see who might be wearing Prada-- Nobody, just the busboy pushing the bucket of suds across the floor... Everybody looked at me quizzically as I stuck my head down inches above the mopwater.

"Hey! They changed the detergent they are using in the mopwater!" I observed proudly.

People just stared at me with that expression that cattle always have.

Finally, the busboy said in broken English "Yes, Iss diff-rent soap. Iss new"

Ha! I knew it. Nobody cared but me. But it was a personal observation in the shift in trends. Out with the Kouros, in with the Prada. There you go...

Also, yesterday I was out of my normal shaving gel and I had to use a travel size of Colgate shaving cream in an orange can-- That stuff smells JUST LIKE Creed's Ambre Canelle! Bizarre!
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 24th May 2007 at 09:45 AM.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme smelled for me a time like a washing powder.
    Last edited by sanatik; 24th May 2007 at 09:58 AM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Ha! I knew it. Nobody cared but me. But it was a personal observation in the shift in trends. Out with the Kouros, in with the Prada. There you go...
    Haha! Great story. Thanks!

"You know you might be a fragrance-neck when..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kailash View Post
    "You know you might be a fragrance-neck when..."
    ...when you fall in love with your cousin because of her/his Stetson perfume !
    -

The top notes of Uomo? Moschino smells like Lemon Lysol

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Fragrance fragrance everywhere & not a drop to wear

Hmmmm...maybe competitors of makers/sellers of certain scents found to be similar to those in urinal cakes and floor detergents etc pay to have them put in those items to dissuade by olfactory association the public from buying and wearing their competition's colognes and perfumes?

...nah, but it would be a clever move
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Portable toilets are owned by the same chemical companies that produce food/health/vitamin additives. I've read that the portable toilet's "contents" are filtered and re-cycled after the toilets are carted away. Perhaps this is where Kouros is sourced from? Google, malodor control odor-neutralizing, for an in depth exploration. This has all the makings of a great thread. Many thanks to The Good Life.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 27th May 2007 at 05:40 PM.

Guerlain Vetiver = Ivory Soap

Basenotes Institution

Noxzema (cold cream / makeup remover) = Ava Luxe Fig Wood

My mom used Noxzema all the years I grew up and somehow I cannot seem to undo the scent connection between the two, therefore the FW is a no-no in my frag wardrobe.

Talking Re: Fragrance fragrance everywhere & not a drop to wear

Gucci pour homme ( the original one) smells like dial soap
    Royal English Leather smells like urinal cakes
    Vintage Tabarome smells like rootbeer or sassafras and wet tobacco

My two scents, or three

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors