Code of Conduct

Question Fragrance suggestions for a job interview in Wales

I've been shortlisted for a lecturer position at the American Studies Department at Swansea University. Since I was offered my last two positions in Germany sans interview (either I'm brilliant or a lucky bastard, you decide ) and since my knowledge of British job interview culture is nil I'd appreciate any suggestions from cultural insiders. My advice to myself is to keep it low key, but I'd be thankful for any hints from those in the know (like: wearing Penhaligon's Castile signals you're a 10th degree freemason or such). I'll happily take advice on dress-codes etc. as well - if it's off topic, feel free to pm me.

Y Ddraig Goch ddyry gychwyn
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Fragrance suggestions for a job interview in Wales

Definitely go low key on the fragrance Tom. Some Trumpers Limes or similar barbershop on unexposed areas would be as far as I would go. Swansea is um.......not Cardiff with its new found interest in culture. For dress, I don't know the exact culture at the university but I would look smart but not overdo it. maybe a good off the peg suit?

The Gower Peninsula just a few miles up the coast was the first designated area of outstanding natural beauty in the UK and may compensate for the um....functional appearance of Swansea.

Good luck, when is the interview?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

If you are looking for something of the terroir then Caldey Island Monastery Lavender is the one. Otherwise hirch's suggestion is a good one, though anything applied in a low-key manner would be OK. I suppose the scent that makes you feel the most relaxed and confident is the one to go for.

As a 'cultural insider' I would say that if you comb your hair you will be one step ahead of the other applicants.

I'll PM you re the boring stuff.

Good luck for the interview - South West Wales has some beautiful coastline and countryside without the crowds or prices of Devon/Cornwall.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Congrats on getting the interview opportunity - I am more familiar with the US tenure-track hiring process, but I understand faculty positions are competitive anywhere in the world.

This article might help:
    http://chronicle.com/jobs/2004/04/2004040701c.htm

As for fragrances, I would definitely go light. You might come into close contact with students and senior faculty members, and the tenacity level of the fragrance that you are wearing might cause some discomfort. Recently a faculty applicant to our department visited my lab and he was wearing a strong incensey cologne (and I wasnt the only one to notice that !) which didnt sit well in the 85F degree temperature.

I agree with Hirch_duckfinders recommendation of Trumpers Limes; GFT, T&H Grafton, West Indian Limes, or the Creed citruses will also fit well.
    Last edited by zztopp; 28th May 2007 at 01:20 AM.
    -

Why not wear something freshly "welsh" , as the many welsh people i have met have told me they don't really consider themselves "british" , it would be fun (?!) to mention that you're wearing something truly welsh, it only seems fitting.

just my 2 cents
    cheers

Congrats on the interview...enjoy the process!

I second the motion on Trumper's Lime and would also suggest Trumper's Marlborough (applied lightly, of course). Another one of Great Britain's "favorite sons" that I think would be a good fit is Hugh Parson's Traditional (Blue).

(I didn't notice any of the three in your wardrobe...nothing like treating yourself to a new scent for a special occasion!)

R de Capucci wears very lightly on me and I believe it would also be a very good fit.

Best regards,

How about (Captain) Nemo. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Congrats & I wish you good luck in your endeavour.

I would recommend you to just be yourself, I personally would indulge in Crown Perfumery's Sandringham, in respectable measures.

As per what to wear, a dark suit, blue/cream shirt, a non-busy tie & black shoes will suffice.

Good luck!

I'll ask Craig Bellamy and get back to you ASAP once I hear from him.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Da iawn with the interview boy bach

I've always found my homeland to have an air of faux-conservatism about it. Thus, I'd choose something gentlemanly, but light. Hirch has got it right - you can't go wrong with a subtle dose of lime! Whatever you wear, put it on an hour or two before the interview so it's had time to fade slightly. I've smelled some lovely scents on various interviewees before, but unfortunately the rest of the panel have occasionally gotten a bit choked out

Pob lwc anyhow, hwyl am rwan

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Y Ddraig Goch ddyry gychwyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear View Post
    Pob lwc anyhow, hwyl am rwan
    Would the people of Wales like to buy a vowel - or two?

Wish you All the Best with your interview, Tom !

For interview purpose...No fragrance is the best fragrance.

imagine if the interviewer is allergic, hates it, reminds him of somebody he dislikes, ect..

Congrats on the interview and all the best during it. I am in agreement with a low key approach. The suggestion of Trumpers Lime is good as long as it is light (better to err on the too light side). Anything that could overpower may leave them remembering that and not how well you did during the interview process.

Congrats on the interview and all the best during it. I am in agreement with a low key approach. The suggestion of Trumpers Lime is good as long as it is light (better to err on the too light side). Anything that could overpower may leave them remembering that and not how well you did during the interview process.

Having spent the last 20 years working at a UK University, I would agree with those who say no scent is the best scent for an interview. If you are successful (and I do hope so, if it's what you want) then you can introduce things gradually once you're in.

Best of luck!

PS And, almost completely off topic except for the welsh connection, recently a VW TV Ad appeared here which uses Richard Burton's dialogue from the first few paragraphs of Under Milk Wood as its sound track. I have the LP, bought many years ago, but I found this site where the complete thing, script and sound is available. I think it's worth a listen:
    http://www.undermilkwood.net/prose_undermilkwood.html
    Last edited by alpine; 28th May 2007 at 09:02 PM.