Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Bois Des Iles - for the (Gingerbread) man

Bois des Iles EDT - 1926.

My nose has been hooked on the sample that I have been playing with over the past couple of days. I feel that this might be the best of Chanel, and one of the finest fragrances created. Its a masterfully composed and perfectly balanced woody-gourmand fragrance. It makes most recent Chanels seem like an embarrassment to the catalog.

The most surprising thing is that its more of a sandalwood fragrance than many fragrances that claim to be constructed around that note. From the more-cedar-than-sandalwood fragrances like Santal Noble, Tam Dao, etc to the cloying sweetness of Trumpers Sandalwood to the spicy sweet attack of Original Santal, Bois des Iles shows them all up with its superbly blended sandalwood note which is always present and whose cool medicinal aroma is lent a comforting softness and approachability by a deft use of a floral heart.

Bois des iles is also (suprisingly) a very adept gourmand. It has a lingering "gingerbread" accord which is most prominent in the middle notes. Its strange and captivating at the same time. This spicy sweet "gingerbread" accord inconjunction with the smooth sandalwood is woody nirvana. Its somewhat similar to Lutens Santal de Mysore, but unlike that fragrance, its less loud, more restrained, and far better balanced, i.e., the spices and (turkish) sweets dont bury the sandalwood six feet under.

If you like fine classic fragrances and/or are interested in experiencing one of the more impressive sandalwood fragrances on the market, Bois des iles should be at the top of your list. Its also a clearly unisex fragrance.

If on the other hand you have already tried this fragrance, you can share your impressions here
    Last edited by zztopp; 26th May 2007 at 01:29 AM. Reason: typos
    -

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Chanel Bois Des Iles - for the (Gingerbread) man

I remember not being really moved, by this.

I must resniff, now that I've read your review. I love 'gingerbread' notes!

I dont know whether it has been reformulated or not, or whether my sample (which I got from scentemental) was the "vintage" version. Maybe scentemental can comment further on this.
    -

I bought my wife the parfum last year. I believe it to be the greatest ever. Phenomenal. Gardenia is close behind.

I've heard that they discontinued the parfums (of the original 4 Rue Cambon series) when they brought out Les Exclusive. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? If true, it is another travesty of poor marketing.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I bought my wife the parfum last year. I believe it to be the greatest ever. Phenomenal. Gardenia is close behind.
    Does the parfum have a more pronounced floral heart, thus making it more "feminine" than the EDT ?
    -

I've heard that they discontinued the parfums (of the original 4 Rue Cambon series) when they brought out Les Exclusive. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? If true, it is another travesty of poor marketing.
    My local SA confirmed that the parfums have been discontinued. A few months ago, her wise manager scooped up all the last remaining bottles that she could find, so luckily I was able to pick up a couple of bottles (Cuir de Russie and No22) of the pure parfums just today. I also noticed that you can snap these up on some online sites -- but they are getting harder to get now.

Chanel has also discountinued the 100ml size of the EDT when they introduced the 200ml size exclusives. Forumulation is supposed to be exactly the same.

Your wife has great taste, both the Bois des Iles and Gardenia are exquisite. I much prefer the Rue de Cambon range of scents over the six new exclusives.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Does the parfum have a more pronounced floral heart, thus making it more "feminine" than the EDT ?
    I have Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie and No22 in the parfum and EDT. In general, I find that the parfum is more smooth, rich and sit closer to the skin -- they are not more "feminine" in parfum form-- however No22 and Gardenia are quite feminine in either format.
    Last edited by dimples; 27th May 2007 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

It is not floral in the sense that Gardenia is. It is so complex and well integrated that it is difficult to split the individual elements - the aldehydes, the florals, the gingerbread / spice notes, and the wood. I've tried the EDT, and find the parfum to be (like most comparisons between parfum and EDT) a warmer, more balanced and complete fragrance, with softer sillage but supreme longevity 24+hrs, withstands showers, etc. Complete is the word I think of when I think of BdI parfum. I suspect Tabac Blond parfum may have a similar balance and richness about it, but I have only tried the EDT of it.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

That's precisely what the SA's at the Chanel boutique in Vancouver told me when I purchased the last Bois des Isles parfum they had in the shop. I honestly think these three are better in parfum (Cuir de Russie, Gardenia and Bois des Isles). I am not sure why No. 22 is considered a "Rue de Cambon". It used to be available everywhere just until 2 or 3 years ago. No. 22 is the only one that will be still be available in the pure parfum though!
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala View Post
    No. 22 is the only one that will be still be available in the pure parfum though!
    Why do you think No. 22 will still be available in parfum, Ayala? I'm wondering because I'm trying to decide if I should break down and buy a bottle tomorrow.

Secretly I'm hoping they'll bring Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie back in parfum eventually.

My friend bought 200ml bottle of Bois des Iles and yesterday we were smelling it

It's nice, but to my nose, it's totaly feminine.
    Concentration is very very light, very very close to the skin. You can spray 10 times and it will not be too much.
    As I remember 100 ml version,- it was stronger...but maybe I am wrong
    Last edited by DreamerII; 29th May 2007 at 07:49 AM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I went to a lady friend and tried her Bois Des Iles edt formula. It is nothing short of spectacular. I love the cinnamony top and might have to get it for myself.
    Arte et labore

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    Why do you think No. 22 will still be available in parfum, Ayala? I'm wondering because I'm trying to decide if I should break down and buy a bottle tomorrow.

Secretly I'm hoping they'll bring Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie back in parfum eventually.
    Simply because this is what the SA's at the Chanel boutique told me. The said Cuir de Russie, Bois des Isles and Gardenia will no longer be in the parfum, but No. 22 will be in the parfum (as well as the humongous 200ml EDT bottle).
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Blog Entries

I have Chanel Bois des Iles in parfum but find it disappointing each time I wear it as it has very little presence or sillage on my skin. I adore straight sandalwood (especially mysore) but find that Bois des Iles, like most of the classic Chanels is more about the aldehydes and white florals than the 'featured accords'.

I much prefer Chanel Egoiste, Coty Wild Woods, Yardley Sandalwood, Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles, Diesel Zero Plus Masculine and even TBS Woody Sandalwood for my sandalwood cravings.

I don't really get the 'gingerbread' accord that others swoon about on here, though the drydown is nice (very faint). I'd probably get better results from layering a dab of Guerlain AA Winter Delice or TBS Cinnamon Spice under a strong straight sandalwood like Yardley Sandalwood, Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood or Ava Luxe Royal Parvati.

Can you tell I'm not too impressed?!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    I have Chanel Bois des Iles in parfum but find it disappointing each time I wear it as it has very little presence or sillage on my skin.

From what I have heard, the parfum focuses more on the floral notes while the EDT is more "masculine" and highlights the wood notes (sandalwood etc). Have you tried the EDT ?
    -

I didn't have any luck either with the parfum several years ago. It dried down to little more than aldehydes and (very) powdery floral on me. I never realized that the EDT was that much different, and it sounds far more interesting than the parfum was.

Blog Entries

From what I have heard, the parfum focuses more on the floral notes while the EDT is more "masculine" and highlights the wood notes (sandalwood etc). Have you tried the EDT ?
    No I have not tried the EDT. I was not inclined to after the grave disappointment that the parfum was / is. I have problems with the (in)famous Chanel aldehydes as it is, without having to contend with them effervescing violently as they can do with EDT / EDP formulations.

I have found lately that I can wear Chanel No.5 in (vintage) EDT formulation when lightly applied / dabbed on but still find the EDP nearly impossible to wear - aldehyde overkill. This makes me suspect that I may be able to wear the EDT formulation of Bois des Iles.

But is it worth seeking out when I :

1. Already own and love Egoiste - Chanel's official masculine interpretation of the Bois des Iles sandalwood theme, sans aldehydes and excess florals?
    2. Own other similar great straight sandalwood blends like Yardley Sandalwood, Coty Wild Woods, Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood, Spiritual Sky Sandalwood, and Ava Luxe Royal Parvati?
    3. Find the parfum (traditionally the strongest, richest, most potent variation of a scent) thin, insipid and unimpressive?

Maybe I will pick up a decant some day but I'll not fret....
    Last edited by moondeva; 29th May 2007 at 11:47 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Moondeva I cant answer your question because I am not experienced with the various incarnations of Bois Des Iles nor have I tried the other fragrances that you have mentioned. However, I am sure there are other BN'ers here who must have tried these fragrances and can comment further.
    -

Last edited by pluran; 27th February 2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: V20GMid