Code of Conduct

Default Is Live Jazz a safe blind buy?

I want to like this fragrance, if only because of the name =)

I am 19 years old, and I wanted something for those rainy days, and it seems to me that the mintyness with which some of you guys describe this frag fits the bill.

But the main problem is that no boutique in MExico carries this frag, so I'd have to buy it blindly.

So, is it a safe blind buy?

Thanks a lot!
    Chipmunks love to eat nuts. Don't go to the woods without pants. (°<

Default Re: Is Live Jazz a safe blind buy?

I wouldn't say it's a safe. There are so very few safe blind buys (I think I know of only one, D&G Pour Homme).

I would try to get my hands on a sample... from somewhere...

I like most scents but have never warmed to this one even though it has very good longevity, and it would be good in a warmer climate like Mexico's. But plenty of others here think it's really good. It's going pretty cheap in stores down here at the moment, so make sure that you hunt around and get it very cheaply too, if you go for it.
    Renato

In hindsight, no. The coriander is a little annoying (unless you like coriander) and the vanilla in the drydown doesn't seem to mix very well with the rest of notes. It dries to this sickly sweet/sour concoction that irritated me. Gotta love the sparkling topnotes though.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'll be the lone dissenter so far. I bought Live Jazz blind, keenly aware of the cumin and coriander notes involved. If you can bear them, then what you will discover is a minty vanilla lemon (or is it grapefruit?) citrus dynamo. It may take awhile to get used to.

If you read the reviews, I agree with Pluran, in the heat, Live Jazz excels. I layer Live Jazz with Tangerine Verte when its hot or when I go to the beach for a magical crystalline citrus and minty lemonade effect.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 30th May 2007 at 05:45 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Tend to agree with LJ on this one. At first i'm impressed, but then it moves towards something a bit too sweet (and yes, annoying) for the kind of situation you'd pick it for - hot weather, exercise, etc. Having said that, i own it and wear it (but wont replace it) - it's an interesting variation on pure citrus (of which i'm not a big fan) and has reasonable longevity considering its style. Back to the original question...safe blind buy? relatively, mostly because it just isn't that outstanding, just "nice-ish". I'm sure that didn't help at all.

I like Live Jazz, but it turns to something horrible on my skin and I'm very glad I tested it before buying it.

Basenotes Institution

Test first - I kinda hate LJ.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    If you can bear them, then what you will discover is a minty vanilla lemon (or is it grapefruit?) citrus dynamo.
    TNMA
    Minty vanilla?? Like the one in Le male??? Or similar to Escada magnetism? If so, It's not for me!

I would say Live Jazz is one of the best summer scents. Its different from a myriad of citruses that are out there vying for attention in our summer wardrobe. This one takes a different approach altogether.

The top notes contain mint and coriander i think and its so fresh. C'mon there has got to be a different way to smell 'fresh' without smelling like a sliced lemon.
    Longevity is excellent for a summer fragrance.
    Its relatively inexpensive (atleast in australia)

I would say go for it, unless you have 'citrus' in your mind or if you are dead against any of the notes contained in Live Jazz that other members have mentioned in the previous posts.

Its a must have I THINK for a complete summer scent wardrobe.
    and NO i don't think Live Jazz smells anything like Le male..

gupts

Most frags are not really a safe blind buy to me. I would try to get a samples from here on basenotes or somewhere else. That being said, it is a unique frag and the dry down is just as good as the top notes if not better. Depending on hot it is out today, it might be my SOTD

I'll dissent with the majority here and say it is a safe blind buy IFF (if and only if) you can get it for a decent price.

I've bought two bottles in a row at 50% retail, and it's become one of my summer staples. Believe it or not, the note that I dig the most is the grapefruit, and I feel it bears more than a passing resemblance to Creed's Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse. This is one of the only scents I own that receives universal approval at my office. It's also garnered a handful of unsolicited compliments from strangers, including a nice lady who served me coffee at the airport.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

It doesn't smell a bit like Escada Magnetism either to my nose. I'm still on the fence about Live Jazz. I'm wearing a spritz to compare to Paco XS, my SOTD today. I'm liking the XS MUCH better. The coriander/cilantro note in LJ makes it too foody IMO. It is fresh though, I'll give it that... Fresh like salsa! Do I really want to smell like a side dish?
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Juanamichi View Post
    So, is it a safe blind buy?
    I sure hope so, because I did exactly that a few days ago

Maybe for you, I bought it blind a few months ago for a low price and after reading some positive reviews.For me it was very dissapointing.Not half as nice like I expected.So my advice ;try it first and do that a few times.Many people love it.I don't.
    Last edited by sniff; 30th May 2007 at 07:37 PM.

I definitely don't think it is a safe blind buy,

The grapefruit stays very prominent in the drydown, so do you like a sweet/sour mix?
    On my skin the vanilla isn't there at all, which could be a good thing of course.

I like Live Jazz very much, but I get the impression not many people at my work do...it is very different than most aquatic scents I smell at the office, it really stands out.
    I apply only 1 spray on my chest in the morning to go for the rest of the day and that obviously is enough to 'upset' the noses of my colleagues...I will ask them about it at a proper moment, I sure hope this fragrance doesn't leave a kind of body odour smell on my chest.

So a definite try before you buy!

I'm actually looking for 2 scents; a fresh one that I can wear in the heat, and one that is good in the rain.

I just bought Givenchy's Blue Label for the summer, but I want some other frags too =O

My current wardrobe is:

Lacoste Style in Play
    Lacoste PH
    Burberry Weekend
    Guess Man
    Gucci Envy
    Givenchy Blue Label
    Musc Ravageur
    Angéliques sous la pluie.

I'm not looking for anything niche, because my wallet's pretty thin =/ and the mint with which LJ was described seemed to fit the bill =/
    Chipmunks love to eat nuts. Don't go to the woods without pants. (°<

I think it is safe. I think its a very approachable citrus, but not boring. IMO the notes others find offending are not particularly prominent. Again, In my opinion it is dominated by a citrus opening and a smooth creamy drydown that is never sweet or cloying.

Considering it's cheap price, I doubt you'll be devastated if you don't like it and if you do like it you'll be pleasantly rewarded for your gamble.

!Que Onda!
    I love Live Jazz. I'd still say it isn't a good blind buy. It has a very distinct personality. I love cilantro, mint, and the other elements in it.

I recall hearing lots of BN people complaining about its cilantro, aka coriander. I am a strong proponent of scents that make me think of food, and many folks here are not. I am also puzzled by the comparisons to Le Male.

Having said that, it is not expensive, so maybe it would be OK. ?Quien sabe? I use it all the time in very hot weather.

Ciao, Dave

Mint, cumin, coriander, possibly grapefruit... those are all pretty iffy notes as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, they can be great, but they are all notes that would make me think twice about buying blind.

Unless you can get it very cheaply, why not spend a few dollars on a sample or decant, and then make a better informed decision? (Depends on how much a bottle costs, of course.)

I bought it blind a couple months ago and it is in my spring-summer rotation. I really enjoy it a lot. I've bought several frags blind since becoming a BNer, from Knize 10 to R de Capucci and, except for "Eau Torride" haven't been dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a safe. There are so very few safe blind buys (I think I know of only one, D&G Pour Homme).
    I have to disagree with you there. I bought D&G blind when I first started here, I'm not a big fan, its just not for me. I ended up giving it away to a freind who was still using Hugo Boss. I think he needed it more then me.
    "Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    Mignon McLaughlin