Code of Conduct

Default I need a new type of fragrance in my wardrobe..help

Hello, just wondering which areas of my wardrobe am I lacking? citrus? floral? woody?

My unexperienced nose is having trouble deciding what will bring something definitely different into my wardrobe which hopefully don't smell similar to what i already have.

thank you!

Default Re: I need a new type of fragrance in my wardrobe..help

Your drobe, IMO is almost exclusively in modern/aquatic/fresh category. Not sure if these are your thing but I would suggest trying:
    1) Strong woodsy vanillic orientals like Egoiste, Heritage, Opium
    2) Prada homme, fresh and soapy in a totally unique way.
    3) modern orientals like D&G By, Armani Code
    4) Creed scents like SMW, MI, OV and GIT are fresh/light taken to a higher class.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Hello, just wondering which areas of my wardrobe am I lacking? citrus? floral? woody?

My unexperienced nose is having trouble deciding what will bring something definitely different into my wardrobe which hopefully don't smell similar to what i already have.

thank you!
    I would say that you have a citrus in the Issey Miyake, you definitely don't have a rich, woody scent in your wardrobe. Polo Green is a good place to start.

A few testing ideas for you...

Carthusia Uomo
    Creed Acier Aluminum
    CdG Incense Series - Zagorsk

Best regards,

I`d suggest to try some other families like
    1) leather - Cuiron HLang, Knize Ten or Cuir de Russie (Creed or Chanel) is a light touch of it
    2) flowers - I love to propose iris - MPG Iris Bleu Gris or Bois d`Iris TDK
    3) vetiver - Guerlain or Floris are very good
    4) some real manly chypre - Coty, Aramis, etc...

I think anything CdG will be a departure from your norm.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

You're lacking a masculine leather scent. May I suggest Knize Ten and Cuiron.

Basenotes Institution

Agree with the above recommendations to try something from the Comme de Garcons line of fragrances - they're unique, kinda edgy, mostly modern (though some of the Incense Series smell ANCIENT) and pretty accessible, in terms of finding them to buy (online, etc.)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st June 2007 at 01:40 AM.

G:

You seem to have stuck with the "main line" fragrances. How about looking to the niche labels? Although I may be wrong, I seem to recall that you and I are somewhat in the same demographic classification, i.e., mature men. So, if you could find it I would very much recommend Chevalier d'Orsay, which I have discussed this evening on another thread in this Forum. Also, Kiton Men; Knize Ten; and, Hugh Parsons (if you have a Nordstroms nearby). These are all "classy" off the main drag fragrances that have a lot of character and style and also notes that your wardrobe does not already include. D'Orsay's Arome 3 (trois) is also great; as is Lorenzo Villoresi's Wild Lavendar, Vetiver (which you appear to be lacking as a note); Incensi and Uomo. Not sure where you would find Villoresi, however, in California.

Guerlain Vetiver is also good, although right now I would recommend Carven's new reformulated Vetiver (see bottle picture in this Forum under discussion of this scent.)

Go niche! And very good luck to you. Hope you have fun.

If I recall correctly, G Man doesn't really want to buy anything niche.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    How about giving that 200 dollars you would spend on fancy cologne to some children who don't have SOAP to even bathe in.

I don't work as of now, but I am using what I had saved up from my previous job, so I can't really afford to donate money...

But in all seriousness...does smelling EXTRA nice for a couple hours even come close to putting a smile on a poor child's face?

I have been to 2 3rd world countries with my family, and when I even gave kids a 1 dollar candy bar or a few coins, they would be all lively and happy. Priceless...

Come on. That cologne will disapear soon enough and the smell will fade away. You can always buy it anytime somehow someway. But YOU WILL NOT forget the smile of a poor child that you probably will only see once in your life...you can't take that moment back.
    Yeah, call me an asshole for bringing that up, BUT this brings me to very different point:
    You're missing some of the classics. A lot of younger guys don't like "smelling old", but believe me, you're missing out on a lot if you don't even try some of these out:
    Jazz by YSL (So damn good, and right up your alley: Fresh + clean, but slightly woody too, to help you out of your bubble.)
    Polo - May be too common.
    Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree - Just good in any era, and right up your alley.
    Antaeus by Chanel - A different beast all together, and one that will delight for years to come.
    Eau Sauvage - Timeless, and right up your alley. Try the extreme version for a longer lasting juice.
    Fahrenheit - Hate it or love it. I love it.
    Vetiver - Read above /\.
    Santos de Cartier Concentree - Timeless, but not everyone's cup of tea.
    Must de Cartier - Get closer... no, closer...
    And, I know you don't like niche, but go try in a store, then buy online: Vetiver by Creed.

Maybe take a gander at Mugler COLOGNE, Bulgari Black.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Ermmm... I'll PM you my consultation charges...

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    If I recall correctly, G Man doesn't really want to buy anything niche.

Yeah, call me an asshole for bringing that up, BUT this brings me to very different point:
    You're missing some of the classics. A lot of younger guys don't like "smelling old", but believe me, you're missing out on a lot if you don't even try some of these out:
    Jazz by YSL (So damn good, and right up your alley: Fresh + clean, but slightly woody too, to help you out of your bubble.)
    Polo - May be too common.
    Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree - Just good in any era, and right up your alley.
    Antaeus by Chanel - A different beast all together, and one that will delight for years to come.
    Eau Sauvage - Timeless, and right up your alley. Try the extreme version for a longer lasting juice.
    Fahrenheit - Hate it or love it. I love it.
    Vetiver - Read above /\.
    Santos de Cartier Concentree - Timeless, but not everyone's cup of tea.
    Must de Cartier - Get closer... no, closer...
    And, I know you don't like niche, but go try in a store, then buy online: Vetiver by Creed.

Maybe take a gander at Mugler COLOGNE, Bulgari Black.
    - Rich
    exactly what i thought, and i agree on the masculine leather, you need to give them a go GMan!

When I was new at this, I used to always consult with the H&R Chart and forced myself to look for and buy fragrances in the different categories. You are missing scents in various categories like Spicy Orientals, Leathery Chypres, Citrus chypres etc. The H&R Chart is getting pretty old now, and hasn't been updated for 7 years, but let me know if you want a copy (though it may be posted somewhere around here).
    Renato