Code of Conduct

Default American Psycho Skin care regimen

With American Psycho being shown on Cinemax I was wondering about the skin care regimen. Is this hollywood or is this a real skin care process?

Pre shower
    1. Gel ice pack to reduce facial puffiness
    2. Deep pore cleanser

Shower
    1. Water activated gel cleanser
    2. Honey almond body scrub
    3. Exfoliating facial gel scrub

Post shower
    1. Herb mint facial mask (peel off after 10 minutes)
    2. Non alcoholic after shave lotion (pre supposes a shave first)
    3. Moisturizer
    4. Anti-aging eye balm
    5. Final moisturizing protective lotion

If this is a real skin care regimen, does anybody know what products (brand/product name) were used in the film?

I know that there are different skin care types (i.e. dry, oily, normal, etc.). Would the skin care regimen be different based upon your skin type or would you just use the products for your skin type?

Cheers

Default Re: American Psycho Skin care regimen

If brands are mentioned it will be in the book (which is way nastier than the film). Having said that, it would be 80s or 90s brands, so if they were real, they may not still exist as products to buy.

I've read the book three times and seen the movie at least 50 times...

It doesn't show what skin care products he is using in the movie, but does show some YSL cologne and a few other 80's products in his vanity.

In the book, so many products and brand names are mentioned that it's hard to remember them all. Somehow Patrick knows who uses what.

He talks about Paco Rabanne, I believe Drakkar, maybe Obsession, and a few others in the book. Nothing satisfies him...maybe he was a basenoter!

As for the stated regimen, it seems plausible. On a day that I shave, I might use an exfoliating scrub, then a pre-shave oil, shave cream, aftershave, eye cream, and protective lotion. And thats just the face.

"Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it!"
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Thanks! I didn't know there was a book. Looks like i'll have to check it out.

I haven't read the book either, but watch the movie every October. Interestingly, Amazon has decided to cash in on the idea of marketing Patrick's routine: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/170R297X1SU1"]Amazon.com: have the American Psycho facial treatment[/ame] I can't see Patrick using quite so many drug store brands though ~ he strike's me more of a Kiehl's kind of guy.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 6th November 2009 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daremo View Post
    Thanks! I didn't know there was a book. Looks like i'll have to check it out.
    You're in for....a treat...

Yeah....

Man....

Enjoy the part with the rat...

Dude, are you gonna go kill somebody after a facial?
    Your Kung Fu is No Good Here

Remember, Mr. Nail Gun is your special friend.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by DrBubba View Post
    You're in for....a treat...

Yeah....

Man....

Enjoy the part with the rat...
    Having read the book before seeing the movie, I can say the movie was a completely watered-down version of what the book presented!

In fact I almost stopped reading the book because it became so graphic at points. Anyways, back to the OP: the book was full of brand names for everything. It has been about 5 years since I've read it, but would not be surprised it the actual brands in the regimen were listed.

The book is excellent but goes nowhere. It's a diary.

Interesting tho.

I love the Pat Bateman character and his friends, all of whom are the same.

His skin care regiment is ridiculous, but he is, after all, a lunatic.

I have the movie in HD so I could see the products used. I could post the pictures. Most of his products are L'occitane in the shower scene.

I've seen the movie twice, last time 10 years after the premiere.

THE MOVIE IS CRAP !!!
    Only Christian Bale makes it worth watching. He's an excellent actor, still sorry they didn't use Rob Lowe as Bateman in it though.

I've read the book 20+ times - the movie is crap compared to the book.

Typical American behaviour to watch the movie several times and not read the book (just kidding)

I adopted Baremans skin care ritual after reading the book. He uses a lot of Clinique products in the book, thus I started using Clinique products in 1991 when I was 20 and haven't stopped using them since that.

His skin care ritual is extreme for the average Joe, but quite normal if you're a women, I believe.

I don't use face scrub exfoliation more than once a week, but exfoliates my skin daily with the Clinique Scruffing lotion as I follow Cliniques 3 step skin care program and believe it's the best prior to using serious skin care products.

I don't use the peel mask Bateman uses daily. I use one twice a month.
    So things are a bit exaggerated in the book & movie.

I was quite sad, when I found out the author of American Psycho was gay. Had really hoped a straight could write such a weird extreme book, but his skin care OCD rituals probably could only have been written with such attention to detail by a gay or a straight man with OCD ( I'm straight, but with some serious OCD issues)

I still to this day consider American Psycho (the book) to be the book, which has influenced me most in my life, because of Batemans OCD rituals reminded me of myself and his tendency to kill the people he hates, has made me look at people I dislike in a new light (just kidding)
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I have seen the beauty range L'Occitane and the fragrance line YSL pour Homme briefly during the movie trailer

Who cares. Bateman is a loser. A dork.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I've seen the movie twice, last time 10 years after the premiere.

THE MOVIE IS CRAP !!!
    Only Christian Bale makes it worth watching. He's an excellent actor, still sorry they didn't use Rob Lowe as Bateman in it though.

I've read the book 20+ times - the movie is crap compared to the book.

Typical American behaviour to watch the movie several times and not read the book (just kidding)

I adopted Baremans skin care ritual after reading the book. He uses a lot of Clinique products in the book, thus I started using Clinique products in 1991 when I was 20 and haven't stopped using them since that.

His skin care ritual is extreme for the average Joe, but quite normal if you're a women, I believe.

I don't use face scrub exfoliation more than once a week, but exfoliates my skin daily with the Clinique Scruffing lotion as I follow Cliniques 3 step skin care program and believe it's the best prior to using serious skin care products.

I don't use the peel mask Bateman uses daily. I use one twice a month.
    So things are a bit exaggerated in the book & movie.

I was quite sad, when I found out the author of American Psycho was gay. Had really hoped a straight could write such a weird extreme book, but his skin care OCD rituals probably could only have been written with such attention to detail by a gay or a straight man with OCD ( I'm straight, but with some serious OCD issues)

I still to this day consider American Psycho (the book) to be the book, which has influenced me most in my life, because of Batemans OCD rituals reminded me of myself and his tendency to kill the people he hates, has made me look at people I dislike in a new light (just kidding)
    A nice post. I agree, the book was a real thing, a process of observing a psyche or a different kind, explained in a relatable way. And the movie was just an exercise in alienation. It took the power-to-disturb out of his misdeeds.

I think the movie is a hilarious horror flick. The rampant narcissism and materialistic nature of the characters really makes the flick a hoot.

Last edited by adonis; 9th October 2011 at 04:18 AM.

The particular scene you are describing is my favourite scene of any movie. As far as his products of choice go, he uses indeed YSL perfume.

This is a great scene, and somehow it strenghtens me when I watch it

Sorry for bumping this comparatively old thread, but as I had some spare time today, I superficially zapped through this movie and I couldn't help noticing: boy, I do like his grooming routine (no worries, I'm also willing to do something about it, not copy/emulate it, but still, focus on purchasing and using comparable grooming products)

Of course, it goes without saying that I'm not agreeing with his criminal activities. Not even his yuppie lifestyle, though his social standing might be appealing to Basenoter even if only for the fact that it provides ready access to the best designer outfits, fragrance and other sartorial and styling delights of virtually any price range.

But honestly, I find it fascinating to be able to take care of one's imagine to such a meticulous extent, almost independent of the actual character who does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Sorry for bumping this comparatively old thread, but as I had some spare time today, I superficially zapped through this movie and I couldn't help noticing: boy, I do like his grooming routine (no worries, I'm also willing to do something about it, not copy/emulate it, but still, focus on purchasing and using comparable grooming products)

Of course, it goes without saying that I'm not agreeing with his criminal activities. Not even his yuppie lifestyle, though his social standing might be appealing to Basenoter even if only for the fact that it provides ready access to the best designer outfits, fragrance and other sartorial and styling delights of virtually any price range.

But honestly, I find it fascinating to be able to take care of one's imagine to such a meticulous extent, almost independent of the actual character who does it.
    +1
    I used to be as meticulous as this character's personal care but nowadays I take it much more lightly and possibly even leisurely. Strange since I now have plenty more time to do it than before, so I had to get up very very early to get things done in that department.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post

Do me a favour - read the book, dump the movie. The book is far better and more detailed about Batemans skin care ritual.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Do me a favour - read the book, dump the movie. The book is far better and more detailed about Batemans skin care ritual.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm eager to read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Bateman is a loser. A dork.
    True, but perfectly cast in this film IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    True, but perfectly cast in this film IMO.
    One of my favourite movies. I wish I had been older in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    One of my favourite movies. I wish I had been older in the 80's.
    Do me this favour - read the book, it's soooooo much better than the movie, which was crappy if not for the great lead role actor Christian Bale.
    It was directed by a woman, no pun intended, but only a messed up manly director would be able to portrait Patrick Bateman.

Don't laugh but I felt at the time only Rob Lowe would have been able to portrait Bateman the way he should be portrayed and only Scorcese would be able to direct the movie it was supposed to be directed.

Just read the book - the movie was mehhhhh.......sort of semi good and semi bad, average crap if you - like me - was a huge fan of the book.

Only problem in the book is that Ellis makes Bateman drink J&B whiskey, which is a trash label.
    Ellis, being a gay director you would think he had good taste (just kidding), really should have better taste in whiskey and at least have chosen Aberlour, Bowmore, Talisker, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich or one of the other better whiskeys and not a piss poor whiskey like J&B
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

The regimen is totally plausible, but I think it'd do more harm than good. All that stuff on your face could lead to irritation and breakouts. I think it's best to keep things simple; facial cleanser, exfoliant, and some moisturizer.

Only problem in the book is that Ellis makes Bateman drink J&B whiskey, which is a trash label.
    Ellis, being a gay director you would think he had good taste (just kidding), really should have better taste in whiskey and at least have chosen Aberlour, Bowmore, Talisker, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich or one of the other better whiskeys and not a piss poor whiskey like J&B
    I believe you are referring to whisky