Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default >>>> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 2 >>>>CITRUS

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or otherwise, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment. It's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within the themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)
    March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green (2007: emphasis on vetiver)
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere or men's fragrances
    October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand

Here are links to previous discussions (thanks for this idea, Indiscreet)
    January 6, 2007 ~ Orientals
    February 3, 2007 ~ Animalics
    March 2, 2007 ~ Chypres
    April 14, 2007 ~ Florals
    May 4, 2007 ~ Fruity

Default Re: >>>> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 2 >>>>CITRUS

Thanks for the reminder Quarry!! Perfect occasion for the AA Lemon Fresca from the ever-generous Lady In Black!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

It's gonna be Citrico by Comme de Gardons for me - still can't quite figure this one out...

Yes, thanks Quarry.

Citrus is lime, lemon, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, bergamot? Is anything else citrus?
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quinpus View Post
    Yes, thanks Quarry.

Citrus is lime, lemon, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, bergamot? Is anything else citrus?
    Yay! Adding Mandarin, Satsuma, Yuzu and May Chang (Litsea Cubeba)!

Sadly, Glasgow UK seems to not be doing summer this year...
    But I still can't resist compiling a 'potentials' list should the weather gods smile on me this saturday!

My Zestfest may include:

Jasper Conran Woman
    Crown Perfumery Imperial
    Il Profumo Mandarine
    Coty Emeraude
    Liz Claiborne Claiborne Men
    Guerlain Eau de Cologne du Coq
    Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale
    Guerlain Shalimar Eau Legere (2004)
    Guerlain Shalimar EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Guerlain Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat
    Guerlain AA Pamplelune
    Guerlain AA Flora Nerolia
    Guerlain AA Orange Magnifica
    Guerlain AA Lemon Fresca
    D&G Feminine
    O de Lancome
    Christian Lacroix Bazar Femme
    Christian Dior Eau Sauvage
    Revlon Charlie Urban Energy
    Dana ZigZag
    Bond No.9 Lttle Italy
    Spiritual Sky Bergamote Fleur d'Epice
    TBS Satsuma
    TBS Bergamot Cologne
    TBS Citrella
    TBS Zestini
    Jean Patou Sublime
    Muelhens 4711 Echt Kolsnich Wasser
    Jo Malone Grapefruit
    Carven Ma Griffe
    D&G Sicily
    D&G Masculine
    Diesel Green Feminine
    Elizabeth Arden Green Tea
    Etro Shaal Nur
    Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte
    LUSH Karma (modern or vintage circa 2001)
    Arran Aromatics Love Christmas (mandarin + petitgrain)
    Arran Aromatics Laurel
    Caron L'Anarchiste

Last edited by moondeva; 31st May 2007 at 05:22 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    But I still can't resist compiling a 'potentials' list should the weather gods smile on me this saturday!
    woo! i was waiting for moondeva's comprehensive list so i could find something to choose from. thank you once again. your brain is like a perfume organ.

so my first instincts are obvious choices, but seem to get at the essence of citrus:

l'artisan mandarin simplement (sp. sorry) - straight up mandarin. short lived and linear, however.
    l'artisan zeste d'ete - lemon, with cumin? insane. also what brought me to basenotes and my first sample ever.
    love's fresh lemon - a throwback
    bond no. 9 little italy - mandarin? orangey and fun, but i don't get how this is little italy.
    bond no. 9 hamptons - that bergamot in the opening is to die for. then...?
    eau d'hadrien: lemons, lemoncello, a grove of lemons - what every cologne should be
    Last edited by quinpus; 1st June 2007 at 01:06 AM.

Moondeva, how do you do it? Photographic olfactory memory, a database system that even Grant would envy, or do you just spent countless hours doing these amazing things for us?

Since I'm wearing Shaal Nur today, I might pick Lemon Sorbet tomorrow.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ooh, hrm. I've got a couple of things with bergamot, like Musc Ravageur, and mandarin, like REL and Rousse, but nothing really citrussy. I might have to go shopping and, um, test something.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    Moondeva, how do you do it? Photographic olfactory memory, a database system that even Grant would envy, or do you just spent countless hours doing these amazing things for us?
    All of the above my dear, a little of all of the above...

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Hmmm...what am I going to choose?!? I've got a few that I want to wear - but I only want to try a scent that I've never worn before, from my samples...this is my list of possibilities at the moment:

Central Park - Bond No. 9
    Little Italy - Bond No. 9
    Nouveau Bowery - Bond No. 9
    Eau d'Italie - Eau d'Italie
    Palais Jamais - Etro (citrus top notes)
    Cefiro - Floris
    Special No 127 - Floris
    Summer Limes - Floris
    Camille - JoAnne Bassett (citrus top notes)
    Josephine - JoAnne Bassett
    Reveiller - JoAnne Bassett

Anyone have any other suggestions from my wardrobe for me??

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    Shhhh. She's an android.

I'm sorry i haven't been able to join all of the sniff 'n'speak days (i don't even remember if i actually posted in one) but for this one i would like to mini-review all of EA's Green Teas -if that's all right- (there are about 6 i think).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Shhhh. She's an android.

Last edited by moondeva; 1st June 2007 at 02:09 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I'm sorry i haven't been able to join all of the sniff 'n'speak days (i don't even remember if i actually posted in one) but for this one i would like to mini-review all of EA's Green Teas -if that's all right- (there are about 6 i think).
    Lordy, lordy, yes. Any participation by whatever inspires you is of value.

Hmm...I have Le Monde est Beau (grapefruit), Fresh Geisha (or something like that), which is yuzu, and a rather old bottle of TBS Citrella (discontinued, like the geisha). I have some with a more candied orange note, like EdM and Theorema, too. And I'll do some rummaging through my samples. I don't have many pure citrus, though I like them.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Anyone have anything to contribute on the subject of verbena (verveine)? It's used to create a lemon accord -- oui/non?

Anyone have anything to contribute on the subject of verbena (verveine)? It's used to create a lemon accord -- oui/non?
    i could do verbena - i have l'occitan's verveine. i'd have to write fast though - it goes away lightning quick!

what is verbena? an herb?

All beautiful choices Liv!

I am definitely looking forward to the EA reviews too. Been toying with those for a while.

As for me, I'll probably go with Diorella.

Choose the one you like the most, Liv! I guess they all makes good choises!

I am a fan of Green The, so me too would like to read the reviews of the six different ones. Only three is availabel in my country.

For citrus day, I probably will go for Chanel Cristalle EdT. My most citrus frag...
    Last edited by Margareta; 1st June 2007 at 05:05 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I'll be at a West African drumming workshop all weekend, so won't be able to check in. I'll try and wear my Eau de Patou though- the most lovely, no-nonsense citrus I have.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Uuuum...Thinking HARD...Don't think I really have anything particularly citrusy in my wardrobe...Or?(help would be greatly apreciated!!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    Uuuum...Thinking HARD...Don't think I really have anything particularly citrusy in my wardrobe...Or?(help would be greatly apreciated!!)
    Your Guerlain Shalimar will do in a pinch...especially if it is the modern formulation EDT.

As I thought, my choice was Etro Lemon Sorbet. Citrus scents are often first fresh and then stale, but Lemon Sorbet never goes stale. It might be that lavender and rosemary heart, and sandalwood and vetiver base give it the necessary backbone to the bergamot, lemon, orange and petitgrain top. Undoubtedly my favourite citrus.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I am wearing Roma EdP for citrus S-n-S-day. It only has pink grapefruit as citrus-note, but also have mint, wich makes it really fresh, and gives it a strong citrus-approach, staying all the time.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Eau d'Hadrien with spritz of Pamplelune and a tiny drop of Concentrée D'Orange Verte.

Enough to satisfy my craving for citrus on this suddenly warm and humid day.

And hating Guerlain for discontinuing Pamplelune
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I finally decided to put on some Chanel Egoiste for the day,then I saw Moondeva's reply.Will wear Shalimar edt as my sote.Got the older formulation in edt,but also a mini of the newer formulation.Will review these scents laterSo far the Egoiste is all about tangerine and coriander on me.The tangerine tends to linger on me.

I'm wearing Kenzo's Le Monde Est Beau (well, OK, wore it all morning, but it was too cold and I switched to Aimez Moi). LMEB is my favorite citrus and I wear it quite a bit during heat waves. The notes are: Grapefruit, Cassie, Magnolia, Jasmine, Cherry Blossom, Honeysuckle, Cedar. It's very fresh and doesn't go skanky on me, as most grapefruits do. The white florals are light and sheer. It's very cooling and cheerful. And at least here in Europe, a bargain, usually less than 20 euros per ounce. As soon as it warms up again, I'll put it on again!

I was also going to try Fresh Geisha, until I found out it's the Fresh Company's "Portrait of a Geisha" scent, which isn't nearly so cute a name, and it's been discontinued, and I lost my sample...so far as I remember, it's a very nice, strong yuzu scent, good for hot and humid days.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    [B]....And hating Guerlain for discontinuing Pamplelune
    Moi aussi!!

The beautiful LIB sent me this months back and I was saving it for today and now I'm an addict with no dealer!!

When I was a little girl, one of the "jobs" I was allowed in the kitchen - when I was old enough to use a knife - was preparing grapefruit for breakfast. Picture the morning sun slanting through the window and the bowl of fresh cut garden flowers on the kitchen table and me with the point of the knife just piercing through the shiny skin of a small grapefruit - just before the knife hits the white - a spurt of oil.....that's Pamplelune!!

But she's evanescent and I'm afraid my generous sample isn't going to last much beyond noon!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

One arm, at least, is in Creed's Selection Verte today.
    I decanted 4.2 oz. this week, to split with a dear friend.. and made littler bottles for all my men, who love it !

It's hard to resist this one, which bears a lot of resemblance to Fath's Green Water [EXCEPT that Selection came first !].

There's mandarin, bergamot, lemon, and a minty/ peppery accord that perks it up and piques interest.
    VERY refreshing.

On a humid day with little air current, this does the trick.

Artisankey, you always find the coolest things in town to attend! Please do not disappear again, we have been missing you!

Love Le Monde Est Beau: everything in it resonates with me positively starting with the bottle design and ending with the drydown. Need to dig it out one of these days and wear it more often. Agree that it is sparkling grapefruit with subtle cherry blossom undertones, very refreshing and quite lasting. It also has that nice "vetyrisia" = vetiver+iris note on a pure warm wood base.

I used to wear citrusy scents in pre-BN life on a regular basis and still got quite a few of them among the favorites. Was going back and forth between YSL In Love Again (this is not the original one, the one I got now has a plain dented gold-tone cap and the scent itself got more musk, along the lines of Mure et Musk minus the blackberry, anyone wants to try it?), L'Artisan Simplement, Lancome O (thanks musse!), Christian Dior Dune, Dolce e Gabbana Sicily, Annick Goutal Hadrien (thanks Tovah!), AA Lemon Fresca, Shiseido Relaxing (green), Crabtree & Evelyn Cayman Winds, Floris Cefiro, and then it dawned on me: Azzaro Eau Belle is the one never mentioned here and the one that is so dear to me in the heat of summer. Not only it is citrucy, it is also aquatic, fresh without "the dead seagulls" or "too much oxygene" note, energizing, simple and carefree, if you would. The notes are:
    Top: Mandarin, bergamot, peach (just a tad, do not get scared! ), coriandre;
    Heart: freesia, wild jasmine, cyclamen leaves;
    Base: Lebanon cedar, Tuscany cypress, Sardinia honey, Agaean Sea grey amber.
    It has a clean just-out-of-the-sea-right-into-the-citrus-grove feel with a few drops of water still lingering on my back, sharp cypress needles and aromatic herbs under my bare feet. I am not sure about the color grey, but the amber here is a little sweet and very pleasing. The bottle is ugly -- a crooked melting snowman -- they were thinking of the drops of water on top of each other, but to me it is a snowman (or snowwoman, as the name may suggest?) anyway.
    Last edited by Twolf; 2nd June 2007 at 11:35 AM.

I wore Eau Belle a lot; haven't seen in a while.
    Must be Un Jardin Sur le Nil for me today; I don't have much citrus scents.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Enjoying everyone's comments this morning, especially vision of pre-teen Tao piercing grapefruit and Twolf's wording (without the dead seagulls).

I have a few citrus in my juicer this morning:

Muehlens 4711 (sent by Taolady ): I cannot not even bring myself to apply this because, upon lifting its cap, I find myself standing in line at St. Joe's Friday Night Fish Fry -- it smells like the sweet, vinegar-and-spice cole slaw and lemon wedges you add to your styrofoam tray. You have to know Wisconsin traditions to appreciate this experience. Notes: (T) Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Petitgrain, Neroli; (M) Rosemary, Rose; (B)Musk, Woody Notes.

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi: The top notes are the most delicious, sweet citrus, then it goes right in the sh*tter from there. There is a disjointed transition from citrus to fig, and the fig's a disappointment, perhaps because of the attempt to layer it with too many other notes. Ah, but for that first minute -- yum. Notes: Mandarin, Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit; (M) Figs, Pink pepper, Jasmin; (B) Fig Nectar, Musk, Cedar.

L'Artisan Mandarine Tout Simplement: Just doesn't strike me as a scent to wear on either my skin or my clothes, although it's pleasant enough to walk through its vapors. I tried using it on envelopes when sending out thank-yous this week, but citrus smelled discordant on paper to me. I bet this would smell good on Kotori, whose skin is naturally sugary.

Shalimar Light: This is my current best lemon-dominated scent, although its Guerlain vanillatude sits on my skin better when the weather's a little cooler. I give this 3-1/2 stars -- meaning it's just a placeholder until a better lemon comes along.

Bath & Body Works Kitchen Lemon liquid hand soap: I love this! As often happens, I'm crazier about a scent in its soap form than as a cologne. When I wear La Chasse aux Papillons, which is often, washing my hands with this soap brings out La Chasse's lemon flower, and it's sooo beautiful.

Is there a CREAMY lemon fragrance on the market?

I've tried Fresh's Sugar and Lemon Sugar, but they're too sharp. It seems that lemon's acid is usually counterbalanced with sweetener, but cream can be useful in this balancing act, too. Just as L'Artisan's pineappley Ananas Fizz cream smells better to me/on me than the EDT does, I'm guessing there might a lemon scent that translates more smoothly when applied from a jar rather than an atomizer. Opinions?
    Last edited by Quarry; 2nd June 2007 at 01:19 PM.

Elizabeth Arden's Green Teas:

I will try to make a bit different if i already posted a review of one of these on the directory, as to add to my review or in some way try to complete it.

Green tea (original)

Ok so this one has notes of Lemon, orange, rhubarb, bergamote,peppermint, green tea, jasmine, celery seed, carnation, oakmoss, musk, white amber, caraway and fennel.
    First we have to look at what is green tea: it is a real tea (as opposed to any other herbal infusion) that has been processed differently from the “regular” or black tea, thus giving it the green quality. There are many, many types of green teas and most of them have a different smell, most varieties come from china, japan and other areas. I won’t go any further with this.
    Now onto the fragrance itself: There weren’t too many fresh, true green tea scents at the time and most of them were either custom-made or discontinued or just plain difficult to find (niche or other), Bvlgari’s was a little too perfumey and it had many other ingredients and it seemed like a clone of other fresh scents that were heavy on the technological aspects and a rather dull tea note, not a bad scent, but it needed work (wich we got in 2000 with its updated formula).
    Now, this Green Tea was launched when there was a need, if I may say so,for new things and close to the turn of a century and it would start yet another wide variety of clones and even its own offspring with the later GT formulas.
    On this original GT, the top is marked by a good balance of a non-acid variety of lemon and a lightly sweet orange, with a blast of peppermint that combined, create a soothing and instantly calming sensation, the rhubarb is almost non existent as far as I’m concerned.
    The green tea used here seems and reminds me more of the Matcha green tea used in the Tea ceremony in Japan , now the Matcha tea is of very high quality but this one falls a bit flat in comparison so that’s why I’m saying it reminds me of it ,but it never gets there, the thing is, it’s a very nice tea note, it’s at the same time delicate and it will remain with you until the end of the drydown. The jasmine and the carnation give it a more feminine touch (that up until that moment was a bit unisex) and it becomes more interesting, like a mix of seasons, first you get the fall then the summer, so the flowers give the whole composition a flash of light. There seems to be oakmoss there, but I can’t be sure if it’s the real thing or a really good chemical imitation of it, in any case, the white musk and the fennel are the notes that really stand out on the basenotes, and this fennel smells more like a fennel seed and the green part of it than the strongly scented bulb, and I like it that way.

Iced Green tea

This Green Tea scent is more about the ice than about the green tea, and it shows at first spritz.
    I get from this fragrance lemons, wich are not too bitter, loads of menthol, that I find ,of all things a little waxy, and I could swear I feel my nose becoming clearer as I spray it on; eucalyptus wich gives it a very calming effect after all the menthol. Of this eucalyptus I get the leaves and a bit of bark as well.
    The green tea note here feel like it’s into a heavy fight to be noticed from the others. There’s also some dry , earthy moss and a soft, white musk. It all reminds me of tundra climates. (wich I love)
    That’s about it, it’s intense at the top but this intensity fades away rapidly, so it has lesss longevity compared to a “similarly composed” (IMHO) scent such as Guerlain’s Vetvier Eau Glacée. (sans the vetiver of course)

Spiced Green Tea

So this one is very different from the rest of the line, including the ones released later on. This is more related to the black oolong tea or even a red variety of it, than it’s about green tea, this tea is not delicate, it’s strong and that’s ok because it has to compete for attention when it’s in the proximity of ginger, white florals like jasmine, and some oranges (the less sweet variety of blood orange I think). Another tea I find here it seems earl grey tea, with added bergamot. I’m not saying that all of this is actually in here but it’s what I get, this one has lots of spices like coriander, cumin (soft), curry, cardamon, red pepper, ginger, even star anise, cinnamon, nutmeg and some other notes, wich make it very spicy, so the name of the fragrance is very fitting.
    I get more spices on the topnotes than on the rest, and the whole feeling of it is that it’s a hot scent without ever being too warm, feels sharp enough and fresh enough that you can also wear it in the summer.
    This one, I think, is the one that falls more into the unisex category when compared with the rest of the line. The base is musky and still spicy.
    All in all I, sadly didn’t make friends with it because the spices became too much with my skin, but my sister loved it…and I have met many women that have loved it as well.

Green Tea Summer

This one has officially (bnotes directory): lemon, tangerine, bergamote, water lily , cyclamen, rose, musk, crystalline moss, amber.
    I get the cyclamen, some sort of wild rose the one that’s not really red not white (but the smaller kinds, faintly scented) and a bit of bitter passion fruit, some watermelon, the musk here seems to be a very light one like a white musk that has been used in other green teas, soft clear amber, watery-humid moss and that’s it I think.
    It’s lighter than the rest and a bit sweeter, it seems like a more colorful version of the original GT, and the longevity seems fractured, the top reminds me of shalimar light because the bergamot is stronger here, and the watermelon seems to me the stronger middle note, along with soft flowery bits. Again, the green tea is very clear and very delicate, -if it’s present at all- almost like a very watered-down Basha, cooled green tea. So, for a scent called green tea, it’s lacking a great deal of it.

Green Tea Revitalize

So this one is one of my favorites, only because, the sweet blood oranges (the Tarocco I think), take front and center stage and yet it still smells like the original GT, I feel like I’m getting my Vitamine C daily intake with this one!, it also has mandarin, water mint (? ), bamboo –that’s a surprise note to me, lotus flower (a very soft, white creamy variety that’s not strong at all –not the blue one), green tea (the same as the original GT), white birch, white moss, and white musk, that make a very comfy drydown, that still smells like tea. Longevity and sillage is lacking, but I really don’t care, it’s effervescent and uplifting.

Green Tea Tropical

So this one is not out in all markets I think. This one has Lychee, Dominican Passion fruit, and I can tell you right away: there are basically, 3 types of passion fruits (ok, there are many more but I like to classify them this way): 2 yellow ones, one acid and bitter very slightly sweet with a wrinkled exterior, one sweet with a smooth shiny exterior and one purple, with either wrinkled or shiny exterior and it could be lightly sweet to sweet with hints of acidity. All taste and smell differently. Also, their exterior smells differently from the interior as well. The one used here seems the sweet variety –and the interior part of the fruit. It also has Dragon fruit a.k.a Pitaya, wich is midly sweet and there are many varietys as well; Marco Polo tea, wich could be green, black or red (all very aromatic) and it’s not scpecified wich one is it in the directory, but I’m inlcined to say it’s the black variety and not really the green one, maybe it’s a bit of both; Green tea, wich I guess it’s the same as used in the original GT, Chinese Magnolia (aromatic as well, it’ a big flower), musk, sea moss (don’t know what sea but it’s not a salty one LOL ) and drumroll please: Tropical blackberries: so when they say tropical I imagine it’s either in the tropic capricorn or the tropic of cancer and not really the “tropics” as we know them (between the equator) as they (the blackberries) are more difficult to harvest there –but not impossible- so they’re found in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico and countless of other countries fall into either one of the tropics (Cancer, Capricorn), and I can say that the creator of the scent apparently comes from Mexico, therefore my conclusion is that they are sweet, dark, warmer mexican blackberries!. It all adds to the exotic part of it doesn’t it?
    How many times have we heard about tropical scents: exciting, exotic, fun, free, fruity and so on? Here, they all seem to fit, sadly though, it seems that this tropical twist becomes the first fruity-floral that we dread so much without really being a real fruity-floral, and based on tea!
    It’s not a bad scent, but to some, it can be boring.
    For those scared that this is another “escada limited edition fruit bomb”: it’s not.
    Elizabeth Arden can add another good green tea to their line.

That’s it! Hope you enjoyed it, and i hope it helps you into choosing what to test next...

Cheers!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 2nd June 2007 at 01:50 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the tea overview, Castorpollux. Especially since these threads are archived, what a handy reference.

I never understood adding lemon to tea, hot or cold -- tastes contra-pleasurable to me. Just goes to show you how vastly different our tasting imprints are rooted (but do love the squeeze of lemon juice to extinguish flaming cheese, aka saganaki -- drools like Homer Simpson).

[QUOTE=Quarry;1036434]Enjoying everyone's comments this morning, especially vision of pre-teen Tao piercing grapefruit and Twolf's wording (without the dead seagulls).

I have a few citrus in my juicer this morning:

Muehlens 4711 (sent by Taolady ): I cannot not even bring myself to apply this because, upon lifting its cap, I find myself standing in line at St. Joe's Friday Night Fish Fry -- it smells like the sweet, vinegar-and-spice cole slaw and lemon wedges you add to your styrofoam tray. You have to know Wisconsin traditions to appreciate this experience. Notes: (T) Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Petitgrain, Neroli; (M) Rosemary, Rose; (B)Musk, Woody Notes.

I just had to laugh! This was my late mother-in-law's scent...she always wore this no matter how often we tried to steer her toward something else. The description is just perfect. I'm from Michigan and I completely understand this experience, went to many a "fry" as a child.

Today, I am going to go with beautiful, original version, Diorella. While the citrus is only in the top notes this cool chypre is just what I need on a hot humid workday!

I had toyed with Eau Fantasque with it's summery grapefruit and Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat, my favorite lemon, I stuck with my original plan.

I did a lot of testing while out shopping today. I visited Les Senteurs and then Liberty.

Had a sniff at various citrus-based fragrances and picked up a sample of Mona di Orio Lux in Les Senteurs, which has a good citrus start, and may try this one this evening. I still have the test strip and it's become very woody and ambery. Very nice this.
    Also had a sniff at MPG Bahiana, but it wasn't as extrovert as I'd hoped for. I love the little feathery bottle for this - it screams carnival in Rio - but the scent itself is rather more subtle. A nice citrus top and amber drydown, but I had trouble picking out the coconut and oudh. Having said that, this is all off a paper strip. I'm prepared to give it another try in the future to see how it does on my skin.

Talking of second chances, once I was in Liberty, I decided to give Kingdom another whirl. The last time I tried it, I got a faint odour of stale lemons, and that was it. I've come to the conclusion that it's because I'm a cold person (I don't mean emotionally) and it was March. Today, on a hot day in London, I can smell it just fine, though I made certain to apply plenty. The citrus was right there from the start, but this time I got a hint of the cumin. It doesn't smell like armpits or crotches to me, but there's definitely a hint of something musty there.

The notes according to Osmoz:

Top note : Calabrian Bergamot, Sicilian Mandarin, Orange, Tunisian Neroli

Middle note : Rose,, Indian Jasmine, Cumin, Ginger

Base note : French Vanilla, Indonesian Myrrh

I quite like it. I don't really love it, though.

After this I became a spraying and sniffing dervish. I sniffed AG Nuits d'Hadrien (lemons, then patchouli), and a whole lot of non citrussy things before settling on Etro Lemon Sorbet. This is well named because it is very refreshing, and would be good to wear if you had a hangover. The lemons are sharp and the rosemary give it a little extra kick. Unfortunately, like many things, it doesn't last long on me, so I will give this one a miss.

summer means fireflys

Citrus scents are probably my least favorite (besides the dreaded "green" scents). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a bit of citrus in the topnotes, and I'm even beginning to like some mandarin notes. I actually find myself craving something lately with a major lime note ...

I really had to dig through my samples to find something that is primarily a citrus, not just accented by it. I found some almost forgoton Jo Malone Grapefruit this morning. I tend to turn up my nose at grapefruit, although I'm not sure why ... but I may be changing my mind as my lastest purchase from Bath & Body Works was a pink grapefruit body spray, which is really nice and cooling at night. I digress ...

That being said, the JM Grapefruit does nothing for me ... I don't hate it, but I don't really like either. Thankfully, it disappeared in no time and I was able to sprtiz on one of my more favored orientals afterall.

But, as always, I am constantly learning new things by participating on Basenotes, especially the S&S days, where I strive to try-out new frags and new sniff experiences. I am interested in trying out some other grapefruit scents in the future after my little experiment with the Jo Malone ...

OK ... now next month will be VERY difficult for me ... those dreaded greens, you know
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Re: >>>> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 2 >>>>CITRUS

I like citrus scents for their ability to brighten my mood but I don't really have the opportunity to wear them often in our climate ( much prefer my citrus on hot days!).
    On this cool, breezy day I have borrowed hubby's Acqua Di Parma Colonia. Straight up fresh burst of citrus on opening which is very gradually softened by floral notes, apparently rose but I think they are very subtle. Have been wearing it for a couple of hours now and it is still clear and fresh. A great 'no nonsense', dependable citrus fragrance.

I'm wearing a very plebian one today - Jean Nate - for several reasons.
    1.) This is one of the few citrus fragrances I have with me today
    2.) I want to put in a kind word for this inexpensive drug-store scent for which everyone has a childhood memory.

I too wore the splash as a teenager, but after all these years and sampling of many wonderful citrus fragrances, I've never outgrownr my love for the this lowly fragrance. In the last several years, many of my old favorites have fallen by the wayside, but not Jean Nate.

I love its fresh, crisp lemon-verbena smell. It just smells good on people, young and old. I've smelled older people, men and women, in the old-age home who use the splash, and it makes them smell so clean and inviting. Teen-age girls smell good in it. Women wearing it in the grocery store line in front of you smell good in it.

I've never been able to find an ingredient list, so I don't know what additional notes are used to modify the lemon and make it more broadly appealing, but it is definitely more than a lemon fragrance. I consider it a minor classic.

It's fresh, uplifting, vivacious and friendly. I'm wearing the concentrated cologne today which has more powder than the splash. The splash is more appropriate on a warm day, but I usually have the cologne handy when I want to smell fresh on a cool day. The splash is wonderful at the beach.

So I'm having a clean Jean Nate day, y'all. But I have been making a list of ones I want to try from this thread, especially Azzaro Eau Belle. It just never ends.

Egoiste edt was my sotd.This is the first "male"scent that has made it to my wardrobe.

The notes according to Osmoz are:
    Topnotes:Mandarin,rosewood,carnation.
    Heartnotes:rose,carnation,cinnamon.And finally Basenotes:Sandalwood and vanilla.

On me the topnotes that comes through the most is mandarine.To start with it's a quite fresh and citrusy,but sweet scent.I wouldn't really call it fresh,but not cloying either.The scent feels almost a bit sparkling and transparent to start with.After about half an hour the spices,particularly cinnamon kicks in.After the scent warms up it develops into something fairly similar to gingerbread.But just when you think this is it ,the rosewood reminds you of the fresh opening again.Even though it's aimed towards men I feel it's righ for women too.
    Suprisingly fitting for warmer weather too.Not very citrusy perhaps,but the citrus sure is there somehow.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 2nd June 2007 at 09:59 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing my very last Tom Ford sample Neroli Portifino.

Not a stunner...but kind of like 4711 as an Eau de parfum. That really strong Neroli (not orange blossom...NEROLI - there's a difference) top note that just sends out lots of sillage and dries down to honey notes and light spices (ginger? white pepper?) It worked perfectly for a day at community college...but I can't imagine spending Tom Ford's prices on such a light-hearted conservative fragrance.

house hunting today, so sorry i'm late with my post of l'occitan's verveine. sharp and lemony, almost a little herbal. reminds me a little of limoncello (the alcohol)! luckily there is no sweetness in this...i say luckily because on an extremely hot day i want absolutely no sweetness in a frag, and this is perfect for a hot day. it's very linear, no woods in this, unlike eau d'hadrien. but it's extremely refreshing. it lasts like, 20 minutes. this is a mid-summer frag!

Talking Re: >>>> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 2 >>>>CITRUS

Shhhh. She's an android.
    (Uproarious laughter)
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Is there a CREAMY lemon fragrance on the market?

I've tried Fresh's Sugar and Lemon Sugar, but they're too sharp. It seems that lemon's acid is usually counterbalanced with sweetener, but cream can be useful in this balancing act, too. Just as L'Artisan's pineappley Ananas Fizz cream smells better to me/on me than the EDT does, I'm guessing there might a lemon scent that translates more smoothly when applied from a jar rather than an atomizer. Opinions?
    Have you tried Ava Luxe Citrine?

From the site:

Citrine
    A charming blend of vanilla with cream and a soft citrus twist. The drydown is a very soft and subtle musk. So delicious and luxurious!

Not tried it myself but it sounds like it could work for you.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Have you tried Ava Luxe Citrine?

From the site:

Citrine
    A charming blend of vanilla with cream and a soft citrus twist. The drydown is a very soft and subtle musk. So delicious and luxurious!

Not tried it myself but it sounds like it could work for you.
    Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. The presence of the vanilla is probably going to make or break the effect I suspect.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Manythanx to Castor Pollux for the exhaustive take on Lizze A.'s Teas!! Like, wow! Made me rethink her/them - may give them another whirl.

Meanwhile - Pamplelune having left the scene - I dove into AA Lemon Fresca (also thanks to LIB) which couldn't be better named. Lemondade-y and sparkly with no acidity whatever. A stroll past a lemon bush!!

on saturday i put on
    Chemical Bonding - Ineke

T- smooth citrus cocktail, tea, blackberry
    M- dewy peony
    B- Powdery Musk, Amber, Vetiver

the citrus cocktail was weak- more like a shot. The floral set in quickly and lingered for a good two hours. There was not much dewy (freshness) to the floral- more like humid greenhouse. The powdery musk never came about which is just as well- wanted the scent progression to stop. It was more of a floral experience than a citrus.

Love the Ineke samples, though. Samples in individual boxes, atomizer spray, and wrapped in rice paper. On me the Derring-Do for men works best for me.

Jam

Taolady, you only have a few days of Pamplelune withdrawal to get through; it is in the mail. And it was my citrus choice for yesterday.I've only owned it for a few months but it instantly headed towards the top of the list of warm weather musts for me. And while I rarely buy matching scented products, I'm set to buy a big container of the matching shower gel before the small one that came with my bottle runs out.It's a great wake-up and it's simple enough to figure in my "layering for beginners" efforts.

And speaking of layering, dear Moondeva,and whether you look like a heretic from where I sit; certainly hope so- the most interesting folks usually are. But I'm still at a stage in sniffage where it is often more than I can do to figure out scents one at a time.I'm afraid that I'm going to be forced to put together a reasonable perfumer's organ to really get a toehold on that.

On the topic of citrus with vanilla, is everyone here familiar with Fiori di Sicilia? It's a citrus and vanilla blend that gives the characteristic flavor to Panettone, rather a high toned version of the orange creamcicle flavor, and one of the nicest smells you can find in a pantry. And at about 6 bucks an ounce it really captures one the most easily loved accords in Shalimar,Anne Pliska, Tocca Stella and Promesse de la Aube (just listing the ones that I own and see it in most easily). And you can afford to put it in cookies.

Sorry this is a little late...internet troubles..

Well, I said I was going to wear something I hadn't tried before...but I just couldn't resist another sampling of Fetish by Ayala Moriel -- I just couldn't resist!!!!!! lol

Top notes: Grapefruit, Lemongrass, Mandarin
    Heart notes: Jasmine Sambac, Neroli, Litsea Cubeba
    Base notes: Fir absolute, Vanilla, Green tea

The first 5 minutes, I can really smell the lemongrass on me..not so much (if any) of the mandarin and grapefruit - it smells citrusy, but green at the same time...like nothing I've tried before. I really like it a lot!!

After 10 minutes, the lemongrass mellows (though it's still noticable) but the jasmine sambac starts to surface. I love jasmine, so I'm happy Plus, the citrus becomes a bit sweeter - possibly the litsea cubeba (?)

20 minutes later -- unfortunately, it's grown really faint - can't really pick an individual note, just that it smells sweet and green.

After an hour, the green tea base note takes over, although it's very faint on my skin. This is how it stays but just grows fainter by the minute

At the 2 hour 45 minute mark, it's completely gone -- would've loved it to hang around for longer, but you can't have everything!!

I would love to own more than just a sample of this. It's a gorgeous citrus scent with a green twist. Ayala, if you read this...gorgeous fragrance!!!
    Last edited by gloomy_liv; 4th June 2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: horrible spelling!!

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy_liv View Post
    Sorry this is a little late...internet troubles..

Well, I said I was going to wear something I hadn't tried before...but I just couldn't resist another sampling of Fetish by Ayala Moriel -- I just couldn't resist!!!!!! lol

Top notes: Grapefruit, Lemongrass, Mandarin
    Heart notes: Jasmine Sambac, Neroli, Litsea Cubeba
    Base notes: Fir absolute, Vanilla, Green tea

The first 5 minutes, I can really smell the lemongrass on me..not so much (if any) of the mandarin and grapefruit - it smells citrusy, but green at the same time...like nothing I've tried before. I really like it a lot!!

After 10 minutes, the lemongrass mellows (though it's still noticable) but the jasmine sambac starts to surface. I love jasmine, so I'm happy Plus, the citrus becomes a bit sweeter - possibly the litsea cubeba (?)

20 minutes later -- unfortunately, it's grown really faint - can't really pick an individual note, just that it smells sweet and green.

After an hour, the green tea base note takes over, although it's very faint on my skin. This is how it stays but just grows fainter by the minute

At the 2 hour 45 minute mark, it's completely gone -- would've loved it to hang around for longer, but you can't have everything!!

I would love to own more than just a sample of this. It's a gorgeous citrus scent with a green twist. Ayala, if you read this...gorgeous fragrance!!!
    gloomy liv,
    I am so glad you are liking Fetish! It's my personal favourite citrus scent for the summer. If the alcohol based parfum extrait doesn't last long enough, you may benefit from trying the parfum oil in this fragrance (or layering both). Email me privately and I will send you a sample of the oil to try. It's a bit more concentrated and if you have a dry skin will help prolong the life of the scent on the skin.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/