Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question The best lime scent in the world?

I tend to be a big fan of nostalgic barbershop scents i.e. lime, musk, etc...I have tried Geo F. Trumpers lime(its awesome but longevity sucks) and have tried truefitt and hill, but the price is outrageous. I have also tried Royall Lime which i liked at first, but now just reminds me of a lime lifesaver and is now boring me. What about Crown lime, or spiced lime or lime aoud by montale. Any other suggestions about a really good smelling lime frag? I appreciate the help.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The best lime scent in the world?

Virgin Island Water by Creed

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly convinced that the lime in Montales Oud Lime is of the garden variety to change PH levels of soil. It's Oud on steroids on acid,

Oops - never mind.
    Last edited by MisterK; 31st May 2007 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Does not have lime; I thought Green Water did.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Taylor of Old Bond St Victorian Lime could fit the bill. It has a more tenacious base than Trumpers and longevity is relatively good for a citrus.

I'm with mikeperez on the beautiful lime on Virgin Island Water, but when the coconut takes over I have to make my excuses and leave.

I'm coming round to the point of view that complaining about the longevity of citrus scents (and classic eau de colognes) is like complaining that the tide comes in twice a day. The only way around their molecular lightness is to top up - get some 10ml decants (whilst they are still being manufactured ), fill them with your favourite citruses, stick them in your inside pocket and spritz when you are feeling 'fragrance-naked'.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Citron by Madini. Even though its an oil it isn't 'oily' on the skin. It dries very fast for an oil based perfume. Its a long lasting (for a citrus), pure, natural lime scent. Its like cutting a lime in half, picking both halves up, putting one under each nostril and then taking a big whiff!

I think this one would also work great for layering under other fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39 View Post
    I think the Taylor of Old Bond St Victorian Lime could fit the bill. It has a more tenacious base than Trumpers and longevity is relatively good for a citrus.

I'm with mikeperez on the beautiful lime on Virgin Island Water, but when the coconut takes over I have to make my excuses and leave.

I'm coming round to the point of view that complaining about the longevity of citrus scents (and classic eau de colognes) is like complaining that the tide comes in twice a day. The only way around their molecular lightness is to top up - get some 10ml decants (whilst they are still being manufactured ), fill them with your favourite citruses, stick them in your inside pocket and spritz when you are feeling 'fragrance-naked'.
    Nail on the head! Citrus doesn't persist. Having said that Montale aromatic lime lasts pretty well, but the lime is mellow, like the smell of a bowl of uncut limes rather than sharp like the juice. Trumpers GFT is a relatively long lasting lemon as is miller haris citron citron.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Truefitt & Hill's is my favorite so far and is very persistent in its longevity on me. Probably not "best in the world" but still enjoyable to me is Tommy Bahama's St. Barts. Looking forward to Crabtree & Evelyn's new West Indian Limes, which the website is promising will be out soon - I've liked all C&E's offerings to-date. And for a quick and cheap pick-me-up, I often spray on SCS's Bay Rum with a Twist (like the lime note that is layered in).
    Last edited by CM Wolff; 31st May 2007 at 10:43 PM.

Thumbs up Re: The best lime scent in the world?

Perry Ellis 360 Red smells pretty good and limey and lasts a long time.

Strong.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 1st June 2007 at 12:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Montale's Aoud Lime is the best lime scent in the world. Certainly it is the most unusual. The lime vibrates around the aoud scent with an occasional waft of rose in the background. It always gets comments. Very comforting scent.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are anywhere near Saks Fifth Ave. in NYC, you have to try Castle Forbes Limited Edition Lime, which I reviewed and I believe is a great lime fragrance, although it is not very sweet. It lasts pretty long for a lime scent, and is quirte unique.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know that Saks has Castle Forbes...I've been hunting that down for a while now. Tip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I didn't know that Saks has Castle Forbes...I've been hunting that down for a while now. Tip!
    The main NYC store defintely has it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those who suggested Montale's Aoud Lime.
    "Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    Mignon McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like

Try "Lime" by Caswell & Massey, pure fresh Lime.
    Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along!

Post Thanks / Like

Trumpers is the best - but zero longevity
    Tommy Bahama St Barts is very nice
    St Johns West Indian Lime is nice in warm weather
    VIW is a great lime scent but on me the lime "leaves" too soon

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    [Originally Posted by michaeld39]

H_D: Nail on the head! Citrus doesn't persist. Having said that Montale aromatic lime lasts pretty well, but the lime is mellow, like the smell of a bowl of uncut limes rather than sharp like the juice. Trumpers GFT is a relatively long lasting lemon as is miller haris citron citron.
    I agree with almost everything I read here, and the reason why Aoud Lime is (extremely) tenacious is again molecular. Strange as it may sound - Aoud Lime does not contain any citrus at all ! What a majority of people perceive as lime has been achieved by tricking nature with a certain combination of rose and iris. However some noses cannot be cheated and smell roses, iris, and aoud instead.
    Lucky
    Buzzlepuff:
    you get both! :brolly:
    Last edited by narcus; 1st June 2007 at 10:37 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think Virgin Island Water, Feuille Verte, or any other fragrance which has a lime note, no matter how wonderfully rendered, is a full blown "lime scent".

The West Indian Lime colognes from Trumpers, Truefitt & Hill et al might be worthy candidates for this title. I have only tried the version by Truefitt & Hill and the lime disappears pretty fast to be replaced by lots and lots of petitgrain.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses...most helpful. Thank you again.

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

It gets to the point where you're better off geetiing the fruit and as it over ripens should be a lime monster or you can dial it back a bit.

Drink a shitload of gimlets this summer you'll be limen