Code of Conduct

Default Montana Parfum d'Homme (the original)

Does anyone know if this little gem has been dis-discontinued?

I managed to pick it up from the US last year at an absolute bargain price, and was really pleased that the juice was as fresh as fresh could be. However, looking on ebay recently, I've noticed that there's an abundance of it at really low prices (at pretty much what I paid for it last year) - unless someone found a warehouse full of the stuff hidden away somewhere (given that it was near impossible to find over a year and a half ago), has it been released back onto the market?

I've been able to see the comparison to Havana from day one, but I'm not sure about the Patou Prive comparison having never smelled that. I'd recommend that anyone who gets a chance should get hold of this as it truly is a delightful little affair

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Montana Parfum d'Homme (the original)

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear View Post
    Does anyone know if this little gem has been dis-discontinued?

I managed to pick it up from the US last year at an absolute bargain price, and was really pleased that the juice was as fresh as fresh could be. However, looking on ebay recently, I've noticed that there's an abundance of it at really low prices (at pretty much what I paid for it last year) - unless someone found a warehouse full of the stuff hidden away somewhere (given that it was near impossible to find over a year and a half ago), has it been released back onto the market?

I've been able to see the comparison to Havana from day one, but I'm not sure about the Patou Prive comparison having never smelled that. I'd recommend that anyone who gets a chance should get hold of this as it truly is a delightful little affair
    I couldn't agree more about the wonderful Montana Parfum d'Homme Biff. I just purchased a couple of 4.2 oz sealed/NIB backup bottles for under $25 each. IMO an absolute steal for this amazing scent. I now consider it to be my signature scent and wear it very often, sometimes changing into it after an evening shower at the end the day.

I don't think it has been re-released however, just a lot of it available (for the present) and not a particularly high demand for it (yet).

10:30PM June 2--OK..I put a single swipe of Montana Parfum d'Homme from a 5ml roll-on vial across the back of both hands about 2:00PM this afternoon. Right now when I sniff the back of my hand it is absolutely the most heavenly aroma I have ever experienced. This is great stuff and the drydown is just heavenly. I cannot recall nor do I suspect a nicer drydown than this. I am in love with Montana Parfum d'Homme, pure and simple.
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd June 2007 at 02:34 AM.

Default Re: Montana Parfum d'Homme (the original)

I first bought this at a mall store for a higer price. I see it listed cheaper on some websites but I haven't got around to buying more of it. I hope it doesn't sell out soon. I actually like it better than Havana.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

is this the havana with the red box? or is that the new one? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zgao View Post
    is this the havana with the red box? or is that the new one? thanks!
    It's very similar to Havana, but without the Bay Rum notes; everything else is arguably indistinguishable (although I'm sure a more refined nose would disagree ).

It's Montana parfum d'homme, and it does indeed come in a red box. The Montana parfum d'homme in the blue box is, in my mind, a completely different affair and certainly not as satisfying.

I love this fragrance. I recently bought a bottle on ebay and thought at first it would be old stock but once the package arrived I gave it a good study. I have been wear the scent for years so I noticed the changes in packaging right away.

Montana Perfumes are now distributed through Select Beauty. The box I recevied is totally updated with Select Beauty's name. I have a feeling this is being brought back into production!

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I love this fragrance. I recently bought a bottle on ebay and thought at first it would be old stock but once the package arrived I gave it a good study. I have been wear the scent for years so I noticed the changes in packaging right away.

Montana Perfumes are now distributed through Select Beauty. The box I recevied is totally updated with Select Beauty's name. I have a feeling this is being brought back into production!

It has been brought back into production. The way to tell the vintage stock from the new stock is that the vintage stock will have the following on the box:

EAU DE TOILETTE
    SPRAY NATUREL

Whereas the the newly released bottles and reformulation will have the information listed in the following manner:

NATURAL SPRAY
    EAU DE TOILLETTE

Of course, another give away is that the new bottles have the list of ingredients that are required to be listed on the box under EC regulations.

I have both, and I have been doing extensive blind testing and my conclusion--good news indeed--is that there is very little difference between the two. The incense note is slightly more complex and prominent in the vintage formulation, but the difference is so slight that it would take a trained nose many sniffs over a long period of time to detect it and be able to identify the difference. Another piece of good news is that the newer formulation seems also to be a little more brighter and little more vibrant, but essentially, and unusually, the difference in formulations is, when all is said and done, negligible.

Incidentally, Montana Parfum d'Homme was created renowned nose Edouard Fléchier, the nose behind Frederic Malle Editions de Parfums fragrances Lys Méditerranée and Une Rose, Dior’s Poison, and its Tendre Poison, and Valentino Vendetta Pour Homme, to name a few.

As far as I can tell the newly released bottles come only in the 4.2oz/125ml EDT spray version, whereas, the vintage formulation came in 4.2 oz /125ml and 2.5 oz/75ml spray and splash versions.

There is also a light version: Parfum d’Habit Light, which I know comes in a splash version. It is also a new release, and I not sure if there was light vintage version. As far as I have been able to ascertain new release light version comes in a 2.5 oz splash version, but I can't be sure it's the only size that it comes in. It's basically an EDC version of the original, a little sharper and more citric, but more and more similar as it dries down, but, obviously not as strong throughout the drydown.

Be aware that even if sellers are selling you an expensive bottle of the stuff, you are more than likely buying the rereleased formulation, and there's no need to pay anything more than about $30 to $35 for a 4.2 oz bottle of that.

Again, there is so little difference between the two, that IMO, the price differential between the vintage version and the rereleased version--that's assuming you could get your hands on the vintage version--is not worth the difference. The new one satisfies immensely. I personally prefer it over Havana to which is bears a considerable resemblance though still remaining its own fragrance. This one's a great one folks.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 9th August 2007 at 02:52 PM.

Scentemental,

Thanks for the update on this old fave. You are always a font of knowledge. I believe I was one of the first on this board to be a proponent of this beauty, and it is reassuring to know that it should be around for a while. A small bit of information: the vintage bottles I have (at least five years old) are in 30 ml and 100 ml size, both spray bottles, so there was a wider selection of sizes in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by levente View Post
    Scentemental,

Thanks for the update on this old fave. You are always a font of knowledge. I believe I was one of the first on this board to be a proponent of this beauty, and it is reassuring to know that it should be around for a while. A small bit of information: the vintage bottles I have (at least five years old) are in 30 ml and 100 ml size, both spray bottles, so there was a wider selection of sizes in the past.
    Thanks levente. You're always very generous with your acknowledgments. I really appreciate that.

You certainly were one of the first to sing the praises of this beauty. I can't believe, I only "discovered" it so very recently.

Very good to know that it also came in smaller sizes. Thanks for that.

Best regards,

scentemental

Can I just add - I think when they Diana de Silva was distributing Montana Perfumes they tweeked Montana Parfume d Homme Light and marketed as Montana Homme. That was the verison in the blue box and gray bottle with no Montana logo on the top of the cap.

That version was awful - I am glad the original is back in production!

Last edited by scentemental; 9th August 2007 at 04:18 PM.

The vintage edition comes in 50 ml bottles too.I own a bottle of this and it smells exactly like the 30 ml bottle I had some years ago.
    There is also a Montana Parfum D' Homme Light,launched some years ago.Few Basenoters own both editions (Original and LIght) and they can enlighten us about their differences.Great little gem indeed!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

I believe the vintage came in only 1 oz., 2.5 oz. and 4.2 oz. sizes. I have all three and have never seen a 1.7 oz. size.

Hello Stuigi!Well, I have to reach my 50 ml/1.7 fl oz bottle: Eau De Toilette Spray Naturel.It is the older edition then (nice piece of information scntemental!).I am sure that the item is genuine.It even contains the leaflet describing the ancillary products:Eau de Toilette,After Shave Lotion,After Shave Soother,After Shave Cream,Shaving Foam,Bath Soap,ShampooMoisturising Body Lotion,Deodorant,Natural Spray Deodorant,Deo-Stick...Do anybody have all that stuff?
    It is indeed unusual for a product to come in 30 ml,50 ml,75 ml and 125 ml packaging...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Has anyone seen the Montana PdH for sale anywhere online besides ebay (for the 4.2 Oz for $25-35)?

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Has anyone seen the Montana PdH for sale anywhere online besides ebay (for the 4.2 Oz for $25-35)?
    Try parfum1.com. Very reliable seller, price is within that range.

Quote Originally Posted by levente View Post
    Try parfum1.com. Very reliable seller, price is within that range.
    I know this site and agree they are good, but I had already seen this and did not believe it was Montana PdH because it is just called Montana Homme, which I thought I had read previously was not the same. I thought Parfum d' Homme was never the same as Montana Homme. Can anyone clear this up?

I know this site and agree they are good, but I had already seen this and did not believe it was Montana PdH because it is just called Montana Homme, which I thought I had read previously was not the same. I thought Parfum d' Homme was never the same as Montana Homme. Can anyone clear this up?
    Mark,

Montana Homme comes in a blue box and in similar bottle to Parfum d'Homme except that that the bottle is a lighter, more translucent green (click on the "Attached Images" links below):

Montana Homme (blue box, lighter green bottle) was released in 2001 and has nothing to do with the original Parfum d'Homme (darker green bottle, red box) except for the similar bottle.

Montana Parfum d'Homme many times is mistakenly referred to as Montana Pour Homme or Montana Homme.

The Basenotes directory has Montana Homme incorrectly listed as Montana Pour Homme. There is no such fragrance as Montana Pour Homme.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 8th October 2007 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Mark,

Montana Homme comes in a blue box and in similar bottle to Parfum d'Homme except that that the bottle is a little lighter (see image below):

Attachment 179

It was released in 2001 and has nothing to do with the original Parfum d'Homme except for the similar bottle.

Montana Parfum d'Homme many times gets mistakenly called Montana Pour Homme or Montana Homme.

The Basenotes directory has Montana Homme incorrectly listed as Montana Pour Homme.

scentemental

Thank you for the reply. The site parfum1 has listed Montana Homme and a picture of a red box. My guess (and this is just a guess), is that they carry Montana Homme and if ordered it would show up at your doorstep in a blue box, contradictory to the picture on the site. I would love to pull the trigger on the 4.2 Montana Parfum d'Homme at that price but not Montana Homme.

Thank you for the reply. The site parfum1 has listed Montana Homme and a picture of a red box. My guess (and this is just a guess), is that they carry Montana Homme and if ordered it would show up at your doorstep in a blue box, contradictory to the picture on the site. I would love to pull the trigger on the 4.2 Montana Parfum d'Homme at that price but not Montana Homme.
    Mark,

It's a crap shoot with a lot of these sites, and while Parfum1 is a fantastic site to do business with, their pictures do not frequently match--like a lot of sites actually, come to think of it--what they are selling. Furthermore, many of these sellers are exactly that, sellers of fragrances and not aficionados, as one would hope. I find the best thing to do is call them and specifically tell them what you're looking for and ask them to go and check and see if what they're selling is what's pictured on their website. It will save you a lot of trouble. I have done these at least ten times with Parfum1. Most times there have been problematic discrepancies. They're pretty good about getting back to you immediately since their warehouse is located on the premises where the phone calls are taken. Other sites might have to get back to you later if their warehouse is located elsewhere, but a phone call and not an email, is definitely the best and most efficient way to avoid heartaches and headaches when it comes to such matters.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 9th August 2007 at 09:32 PM.

I'm just glad that the original Montana (red box) is back in production. I missed it a helluva lot while it was away and just couldn't bear the thought of paying Havana prices for its kissing cousin.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Montana Parfum d'Homme (the original)

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTANA-PARFUM-D...QQcmdZViewItem

I ordered 4.2 oz Montana Parfum d'Homme spray NIB/Sealed from this eBay site several months ago. Delivered quickly and it is definitely authentic juice, Red Box (recent manufacture) "Natural Spray". Shipping is a tad high but...the price is low so overall a pretty good buy. However...my experience with this eBayer may not be your experience with this eBayer. I would imagine he/she has multiples of this offering so if it is sold, an email might get another at same price/shipping. Caveat Emptor anyway...

edit: Another site on eBay is offering Montana Parfum d'Homme and saying the product is made in Italy.

Great stuff!
    Last edited by kbe; 9th August 2007 at 10:43 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I am still undecided on this vs Havana

Im a massive fan of both. And I struggle to pick up differences between the two (but there are most certainly differences).

I find Montana to be ever so slightly toned down compared to Havana. When Im wearing Havana I think Havana is bettter, when Im wearing Montana, I think Montana is better.

It is a beauty.
    Last edited by rompip; 10th August 2007 at 08:58 PM.

Montana is more incense-y, while Havana has more tobacco.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Just ordered it! This would be the 7th bottle of this month! God, the collection keeps increasing its size both in width and height.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

And what about the best season to wear this? Even though there are claims that it smells almost the same as Havana, is it better suited to warmer weather as well?
    Last edited by Trebor; 21st August 2007 at 02:52 PM.

It is not at all heavy and could be worn all year round.

Just bumping this up to double check that Montana (red!) is indeed back in production. It is listed in the database as discontinued, and I've seen a number of postings saying the same. Can anyone confirm? I've tried to find a Claude Montana website, but to no avail.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

There seems to be too much around now for it not be back in production.

You have to admit that the bottle is god-damn ugly, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    You have to admit that the bottle is god-damn ugly, though...
    I don't think its ugly its very Claude Montana. He is very modern and abstract designer and the bottle just fits his style.

Totally agreed scentimus!!!
    The bottle is the perfect masculine traslation of the feminine bottle, very montana style reminescent of the sculptural and architectural french 80's wave

So for further clarification...

The Montana that's advertised in the red box on both fragrancenet's site and Perfume Emporium's site is the "good" version that's been brought back to production??

http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/mf...der=M&gs_gen=m

http://www.perfumeemporium.com/mens/...ologne=Montana

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by KMF; 5th November 2007 at 06:01 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The good news is a local pharmacy--sort of a Mom-N-Pop style--has 4 of the 2.5oz "Old Formulation" Montana Parfum d'Homme in an interior display case. The store is relatively sunlight free although it probably doesn't matter as they are boxed/sealed, and the A/C cranking a full 24/7.

The bad news is they want $39.95 each. That is wayyyy too much considering the little difference between the 'vintage' and the 'new' versions and they are the 2.5 oz size, but again, they haven't sold a single one in the 9 months since I first saw them sitting there. I just might make them a lowball offer for all 4 bottles. probably work my way up to $20-$22 each tops (cello sealed red boxes) and see how motivated they are to move them..otherwise, I will have to pass.
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd November 2007 at 07:09 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    The way to tell the vintage stock from the new stock is that the vintage stock will have the following on the box:

EAU DE TOILETTE
    SPRAY NATUREL

Whereas the the newly released bottles and reformulation will have the information listed in the following manner:

NATURAL SPRAY
    EAU DE TOILLETTE

Of course, another give away is that the new bottles have the list of ingredients that are required to be listed on the box under EC regulations.

I have both, and I have been doing extensive blind testing and my conclusion--good news indeed--is that there is very little difference between the two. The incense note is slightly more complex and prominent in the vintage formulation
    Ah, thank you for this wonderful clarification, scentemental. My vintage bottle of Montana Parfum d'Homme arrived today, and I have to concur about the incense. I will give it a bit longer to see if there are more differences, but I could happily drown in either vintage or reformulation.
    Last edited by Aiona; 17th January 2009 at 11:03 PM.