Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default You think I'm wearing...WHAT???

Tonight I wore Musc Ravageur out to a bar that I like chilling at after an especially hard day at work. I've never worn something so nice to a smoky bar before, but I was really craving that scent tonight.

A guy sat down next to me to make conversation because he saw me talking to a friend of his...anyways...after a few minutes of talking he mentions that I smell really good & he asks me if it was ok if he took a better sniff. I held up my forearm & motioned to where I had sprayed the MR & he said...I kid you not..."I'd know that anywhere, that's Vanilla Fields."

VANILLA FREAKIN' FIELDS?!?!?!??!?!?

I seriously almost choked on my drink. Here he was saying that a scent that would cost him a second mortgage on his home to own a bottle of (I am wearing this thanks to a lovely basenoter's decant) smelled like a $10 bottle of Vanilla Fields?????

I don't know...I didn't wear it out tonight for compliments, I wore it for myself because I love the fragrance a lot. And it may be silly of me to be a little offended at his comment, but I was.

But anyways...I was wondering if anyone else had ever worn something that was highly beloved and someone commented on it, thinking it was something way cheaper.
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 31st May 2007 at 06:06 AM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Default Re: You think I'm wearing...WHAT???

Cuiron--------->Abercrombie Fierce

Oh, and also, whenever I wear Bleecker Street, I get constant "i've smelled that before..." responses, but nobody ever seems to identify beyond that. Anyway, they all seem to like it.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 31st May 2007 at 06:09 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I don't know what Vanilla Fields is, but it sounds awful and degrading to my beloved Musc Ravageur.

I presume you've read remarks about Musc Ravageur's remarkable simplicity. A while ago this thread proposed a simple mixture of Body Shop oils that apparently made a reasonable facsimilie. In the same thread, Ayala Sender commented that she smelled only "three notes in it: cinnamon, vanilla and musk."

Coincidentally, my gf said of Musc Ravageur just last week that it smelled like "baked goods". Hey, thanks.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    VANILLA FREAKIN' FIELDS?!?!?!??!?!?
    Oh no! That really sucks. It's a funny story though!

I don't know of any times where one of my scents was mistaken for something cheap, but THIS happened to me once-- and I think you'll find it humorous:

One night my brother and some friends came back from the bar. They were pretty hammered, and one of my brother's friends brought this girl over. So this girl went to use my bathroom-- and on my bathroom shelf were full bottles of Creed MI, SMW, Himalaya and Tabarome Millesime. When the girl opened the door upon exiting my the bathroom, what she said almost caused me to slap her. She said, "Creed... who wears Creed. That's some cheap cologne. Isn't that stuff like the same as AXE?"

My blood was boiling. I said, "Oh, if Creed is cheap, then what is good and expensive, in your opinion". I was expecting her to surprise me by saying Frederic Malle or Clive Christian.

She replied, "Jean Paul Gaultier is the nicest, best smelling, most expensive cologne out there".

I laughed in her face. Then I dragged her to my computer and pulled up the Neiman Marcus website and showed her the retail prices for the Creeds. Oh this girl was stupid.

But then, this happened... I showed her some of the fragrances that I was working on and I let her smell a "green" fragrance I'd made and she said, "Oh this smells like Bulgari's green tea fragrance". I was kind of flattered and impressed that she was familiar with the Bulgari scent, and that sort of made up for her previous dumb quote. Sort of.

This girl was a real Jeckyl and Hyde of fragrance knowledge, that's for sure.

I once wore Bvlgari Aqua, and a girl meant, "Ah, this smells like Axe". Another time I gave a friend a sample of some fragrance by Serge Lutens. "Serge Lutens? I don't wear no-name-fragrance. Only high quality-ones, such as Jil Sander Sun". Well, friendship died a bit since...

Unless someone is really into fragrances, their catalog of 'this smells like' ----------, is probably gonna be an AXE scent or something from the local department store. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Funny story!

No one in my life is going to be able to guess that I am wearing Bleecker Street today. They may say 'You smell nice', or 'what are you wearing today'. But if someone said 'Is that Bleecker Street?', I would probably think I was dreaming and slap myself.

I find a striking similarity between Musc Ravageur and swedish Cinnamon Buns. But that is not by any means a bad thing!
    Arte et labore

I've been wearing quality scents for years. I've never had anyone except my wife guess my scent right. Or really even try to. So no swings, much less swings and misses.

That happens all time with me when I wear Le male... people always ask me if I'm wearing the super cheap Cuba Gold! That sucks...
    By the way, I wanna swap my Le male!!! LOL!!

I would not get upset about it. As has been pointed out, your average person on the street will not know that much about fragrances. The vast majority of people out there would not have the slightest idea of what the names of high end fragrances ware much less what they smell like. Especially in a smoky bar where your fragrance is competing against a lot of other far more aggressive smells, most of the subtle beauty of a quality fragrance will get lost. Based upon his limited knowledge and the hostile environment for appreciating a good fragrance I would accept the, I'm sure, very sincere compliment for what it was and forget about the "Vanilla Fields" part. Hey, you smelled good to him and in the end isn't that what counts?
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Someone once guessed I was wearing Vanilla Fields too. At least I was wearing a vanilla fragrance though: i Profumi di Firenze Vaniglia del Madagascar. Still, the remark stung.

Basenotes Institution

HEY...I happen to like Vanilla Fields...NOT!

CJ, don't sweat it girl. Most men in smoky bars probably wouldn't know Musc Ravageur from Febreze.

More importantly, YOU know the difference.

Blog Entries

I've slept on it, & I'm not as intoxicated as I was when I posted that, hehehe. I think his remark was more funny than offensive. Still, I like reading other people's stories .

Indie_Guy, your story is hilarious! Likening Creed to AXE??? And saying that JPG is the best & most expensive cologne out there???

And DesGrieux, your story made me laugh out loud. Calling SL a "no-name" and calling Jil Sander Sun a "high quality" fragrance? People are funny .

To be honest, here in Colorado I tend to be impressed if a guy is wearing a fragrace in the first place....ANY fragrance. I don't care much if people don't notice my scents, and I would never expect them to actually be familiar with anything I wear.

I mean, is it that surprising that this guy was more familiar with Vanilla Fields than with a Malle? What else would he liken it to? Considering how little he probably knew about fragrances, it's actually a pretty good guess. At least he recognized the sweet foodiness of it!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 31st May 2007 at 11:15 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The comment by that jerk about "Vanilla Fields"... man, I'm just shaking my fist! Musc Ravageur is one of my favorites and that is just silly.

We live in a society that is saturated by marketing. The Dumb "Creed is cheap" girl or "Serge Lutens? I don't wear no-name perfume..." is probably totally unaware that niche perfumers are out there. she only knows what she reads in stupid beauty magazines and what misinformed SAs in shopping malls tell her.

SAs will say anything to sell. Worse, the consumer thinks that they're getting good information. Hence, some dude will come back with a bottle of JPG and tell his airhead girlfriend, "This is the most expensive cologne ever. it's the BEST." and she will believe him.

Whatever. That's like a soccer mom telling you that wine coolers are a much more sophisticated beverage than "whatever swill you're drinking" when you are in fact enjoying a world-class vintage. She wouldn't recognize the label in a million years, and even if you were to give her a sip she wouldnt' appreciate it....and she doesn't care. She will go back and tell her tawdry friends what a faux pas you made by serving "no-name wine" at your party.

It just so happens that 1 of the 2 times I had a fragrance be mistaken it was Musc Ravageur. A friend of mine said I smelled just like her boyfriend. He wore Be Delicious!
    The same girl guessed Pi when I was wearing Egoiste, so I think it is a problem with her nose.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post
    Whatever. That's like a soccer mom telling you that wine coolers are a much more sophisticated beverage than "whatever swill you're drinking" when you are in fact enjoying a world-class vintage. She wouldn't recognize the label in a million years, and even if you were to give her a sip she wouldnt' appreciate it....and she doesn't care. She will go back and tell her tawdry friends what a faux pas you made by serving "no-name wine" at your party.

You most eloquently made the point that I was trying to get across above. It doesn't matter if others mistake your expensive fragrances because they are totally unaware of this little subculture we have here, and don't probably wouldn't be interested even if we told them about it.

If someone enjoys your SotD, does it really matter if they mistake the price? On the other hand, if they're so inclined as to ask what it is so that they can buy it, go ahead and shatter everything they thought they knew about perfume with devilish glee.

Well, my mom once said that Marc Jacobs for Men "is a dead ringer for English Leather". To be honest, I didn't detect any similarity at all, but she hates English Leather, so I didn't buy it. Likewise, she thought that Terre d'Hermes smelled like Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave (but only once, after I put too much on... before that incident, in smaller doses, she loved it). Not surprisingly, I didn't replace that bottle.

Most recently, she said that Gucci Envy for Men (a fave of many a Basenoter) "smells like Old Spice". I did get somewhat of a similarity between the two, but I swapped it.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I was re-heating leftovers from a r-e-a-l-l-y nice Italian restaurant for lunch at the office today when someone nearby said, "oh that smells soooo good! It just has to be from Olive Garden!" This was the nicest place he'd ever been, I think, and he was giving me a compliment. So I just said thanks! So I think if someone said I smelled good and,... uh, by the way ....could they sniff me closer?--wow--yeah! Who cares what they think it smells like if they think it smells good on me. Now, as for the ones that think they are putting you down because you don't have Eau de Pop Star du Moment, you can just smile and be smug 'cause as my momma used to say, "they just showed their ass."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Well, my mom once said that Marc Jacobs for Men "is a dead ringer for English Leather". To be honest, I didn't detect any similarity at all, but she hates English Leather, so I didn't buy it. Likewise, she thought that Terre d'Hermes smelled like Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave (but only once, after I put too much on... before that incident, in smaller doses, she loved it). Not surprisingly, I didn't replace that bottle.

Most recently, she said that Gucci Envy for Men (a fave of many a Basenoter) "smells like Old Spice". I did get somewhat of a similarity between the two, but I swapped it.
    Why do you listen to your mom so much? Are you Buster Bluth?
    Last edited by Borky; 1st June 2007 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borky View Post
    Why do you listen to your mom so much? Are you Buster Bluth?
    Nope... I live with her at home. Hope there's nothing wrong with that...
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by viktorov View Post
    I find a striking similarity between Musc Ravageur and swedish Cinnamon Buns. But that is not by any means a bad thing!
    Swedish Cinnamon Buns = baked goods

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I don't think there is so much vanilla in Musc Ravageur to claim it as Vanilla Fields but I guess some people are just off with their nose. You were also in a smoking environment and that might have changed the scent but I would think it would make it a bit less vanilla smelling if anything.

I would really think that Musc Ravageur, being a rich, dark, sweet scent would be well complimented by the smoke of a bar. I could jus thave some really rediculous connection making process. It'd be like a Fumerie Turquish thing going on. That is just my take.

Sorry by the way that you have to deal with such people who will make such a lovely scent seem so much less important and rename it as something far less amazing...

Blog Entries

I was upset at first...but I was also pretty intoxicated (who's gonna say no to free shots, seriously). Now, I can laugh @ it. Like I said earlier, I don't really wear scents expecting compliments. I should just appreciate that the dude said anything at all, right? If anything, it's kind of made me want to go sniff out Vanilla Fields again. I used to wear this a lot in college, & I vaguely remember what it smells like. Sure don't think it smells like MR, though, lol.

Blog Entries

To state the obvious - everything to do with perfume eventually comes down to personal chemistry, perception and preferences - not to mention interest and breadth of experience...

Personally, Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur is pure (luxury) milk chocolate on my skin... Others perceive more musk in it than I do but the general consensus is 'expensive chocolate'.

Therefore I would not be surprised, nor insulted, for others (of average perfume interest / experience) to mistakenly identify it as Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon or even TBS Amorito - h*ll I can see the similarities myself!

Maybe you perceive it as smokier and more unique on your skin than others do. Maybe there are many of us out there anosmic to the musk used in this blend but at the end of the day the major notes in Musc Ravageur are definitely vanilla, amber and spice.

The fact he even recognised it as a sweet smokey vanilla definitely wins him an award in my books!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *