Code of Conduct

Default Essential Niche Houses

Do you believe a collection isn't complete unless certain houses are represented? I'm just interested to hear what some of you view as essential houses to have in your wardrobe. I'm always interested in trying different perfumes and styles of perfumes but I'm sure there are plenty of gems I'm missing.

Default Re: Essential Niche Houses

Looking at your wardrobe, I'd say you're already represented by one niche house that absolutely can't be overlooked - Serge Lutens.
    I'm always a little confused about which are niche. The technical definition is a line that is sold in less than 250 stores, but I don't always know which qualify.
    If Frederic Malle is niche, he's another that must be explored, as is Annick Goutal, L'Artisan, and Commes Des Garcon.
    I don't believe Creed is niche, but if so, their formidable line-up is a must-try.

Basenotes Institution

I see you don't have any Comme de Garcons in your 'drobe. I consider them an essential line, including my favorites: Odeur 71, 3, Kyoto, Jaisalmer, White and 2 Man.

No, I don't think one needs to represent a certain house to have a "legitimate" collection. Lutens won't be a house I own & I don't think that makes me less of a perfume lover.

I consider Serge Lutens THE essential niche house!

other niche houses I like, Frederic Malle, Parfumerie Generale and Le Labo

niche houses I don 't find captivating, Keicho Mecheri, Bond No9, Montale, Parfums de Rosine, The Different Company
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

I agree with tinker. Nothing is essential in a collection--no particular house, no particular fragrance. I think it's more essential to have a well rounded "tested" list, to have explored various houses, and some odds and ends. I'd feel funny about calling myself an enthusiast and hobbiest if I'd never smelled Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleu, Spring Flowers and a host of other fragrances that I personally didn't choose to own. I know what ambergris smells like, and oud--I don't choose them, but I know them.

I also think a real enthusiast should have a few tragic blind buys under her belt.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I just like good pongs. I don't care where they come from. Just call me a perfume philistine. I don't care, I just follow my great big hooter.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    No, I don't think one needs to represent a certain house to have a "legitimate" collection. Lutens won't be a house I own & I don't think that makes me less of a perfume lover.
    I am in complete agreement here. A great collection represents the taste of the wearer and not some preconceived notions of "musts" and "needs" that are accumulated to meet arbitrary requirements. Some of us prefer some "houses" to others and that adds interest and zest to our collections.

Try what interests you and buy what you love..it's all about happiness and joy.

I absolutely do not believe you MUST have certain houses, niche or not, in your collection to make it "complete". I think your collection is optimal when you are satisfied with it.
    That being said, I do think there are niche houses/lines that ought to be explored a bit, if you have a genuine interest in perfumes, and I think that part falls natural after some time of collecting.
    Myself, I have tested most L´Artisans, for example, only to find that I´m not very fond of any of their scents, so I can´t say I´ve found any hidden gem there...
    My niche-loves so far are mostly found in the lines of Frédéric Malle and Serge Lutens.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I like the word pong, never heard it before...is there an official definition? I assume it means smells

as a philistine, I will mention some of the houses that are my favorites:

Caron
    Serge Lutens
    Ava Luxe
    Creed
    Chanel

not in a particular order
    looking at your wardrobe, I would think you might have some fun exploring the Caron offerings, especially if you love Serge Lutens, I think we have some similar tastes.
    Ava Luxe, I consider a goldmine of treasures and Chanel surprised me, as no 5 never really rang my bell, but others, like 19 and Coco, I am totally smitten with.

Malle is a wonderful house to explore too, each one is like a work of art, like , say, a Picasso....no wait, a sec, was that ME who said that??
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Mike - I have an Avignon candle - does that count?
    I spent quite a while in Liberty's sniffing the various CdG scents and loved the incense line, but decided that although I liked the various smells, it's perhaps not something I'd like to wear on me.

Lutens and Luxe are two I really dig, and I wouldn't have known about them without Basenotes. Likewise, I'd not have discovered Frederic Malle and my lovely Musc Ravageur. I definitely feel I should be trying more Carons - Tabac Blond is one of my lemmings already but I've not tried any of the others - and there's some like L'Artisans and Miller Harris which I've sprayed onto cards but never really got any further than that. And well, there's a whole load I haven't even touched on, such as MPG, Diptyque, Rosines, Mona di Orio.
    (What scares me is there's so much I've not tried, which means there are so many I could love, and then want! Well, you all know how it is!)

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    What scares me is there's so much I've not tried, which means there are so many I could love, and then want!
    That's not fear. That's hope!

Do you sense there's something missing from your wardrobe, some gap, some longing? I think that's where niche can come to the rescue.

Basenotes Institution

Mike - I have an Avignon candle - does that count?
    I spent quite a while in Liberty's sniffing the various CdG scents and loved the incense line, but decided that although I liked the various smells, it's perhaps not something I'd like to wear on me.
    Of course an Avignon candle counts! I haven't smelled the candles burning...must smell yummy!

Represent!

You know..here's a thought !
    All those fragrances that were 'drugstore' years ago, could very well fall into niche territory today....
    I saw a Tabu thread and thought- why not ?
    Lots of loved Coty's, and Prince Matchabelli's, Faberge's, Dana's.

In a blind sniff, I guarantee that some of these would be considered "well-blended and unique" by many.

A good collection is whatever you want it to be-
    No one should have to apologise for their taste, ever.

And, it's nice to have a few mistakes, lemmings, and blind buys in there, too...
    That keeps us humbled, a bit !

[BTW- I have a limey DH..'pong' is any truly powerful odor, lol !]

All in the interests of olfactory education....

Well I bought Tabac Blond...and got samples of Narcisse Noir and En Avion. I definitely see more Carons in my future, darn it.

Question: Anyone tride the Narcisse Noir extrait? The sample is the EDT and whilst it is unspeakably lovely, it lasts about 30 mins on my skin, tops.

I have to agree with Clemmie - I follow my nose (and it's a fairly large one) as
    regards perfumes. Niche or not, I appreciate fine smells (pongs). I do have a penchant for
    Malle, Lutens, Santa Maria Novella, Viloresi and Caron, but I wouldn't feel unfulfilled if my wardrobe was without them. I get as much pleasure from my YSL, Dior, Chanel and Yves Rocher's.
    Last edited by kewart; 5th June 2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: double posted in error

Well I bought Tabac Blond...and got samples of Narcisse Noir and En Avion. I definitely see more Carons in my future, darn it.

Question: Anyone tride the Narcisse Noir extrait? The sample is the EDT and whilst it is unspeakably lovely, it lasts about 30 mins on my skin, tops.
    Narcisse Noir is lovely. In extrait, it is unspeakably lovely ;D

As for houses... I think the classics are the must-sniffs. Not must-own, but must-sniff. After that, read, test, and go after any niche lines that capture your fancy. It also depends what your goals are which niche lines you should try. Experimental? Little known could've been classics? A signature scent all your own?