Code of Conduct

Default Montale's 'Musk to Musk'

When I was at the Montale boutique in Paris the other day, I tried something called 'Musk to Musk'. At first I wasn't impressed, as it starts with just a hint of ozone/lavender and then seems to fade away. However, after I wore it for a while (the SA sprayed me before I left, very nice), this stuff turned into pure, sexy, goodness. I am kicking myself for not buying it then. I might have to go back.

The notes are pretty much just musk and a little bit of lavender. This is not a floral musk like Kiehl's, and it's not dirty. It's just a really good transparent musk.

I haven't seen this stuff anywhere else besides the boutique. Can anyone tell me if it is brand new or part of some exclusive line? It wasn't even on the nice card that they gave me that lists the different perfumes' notes.

btw, the Montale SAs are very friendly.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Default Re: Montale's 'Musk to Musk'

I visited the store, in April. I agree about the staff, very helpful and pleasant. Overall, an excellent experience.

Regarding musk to musk, I do not remember seeing this, it may be brand new. I bought white musk, which sounds similar (ish!). Btw, did you try steam oud? That is one I do regret not buying, when there.

Visit any other perfumers, on your trip?

Might you be thinking of Mure et Musc by L'Artisan Perfumer? From the description it sounds like that might be it!?

L'Artisan also has a little shop in Paris and you might have confused which shop you were in at the time. I was in Paris last week also and spent an afternoon indulging in the fragrance showrooms going from S. Lutens at the Palais Jardin to L'Artisan, then over to MPG, then to the tiny little Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle shop then eventually to Caron, Chanel, Hermes, Givenchy and others. I found several great ones! But by the end of the day they all started to run together for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Might you be thinking of Mure et Musc by L'Artisan Perfumer? From the description it sounds like that might be it!?

L'Artisan also has a little shop in Paris and you might have confused which shop you were in at the time. I was in Paris last week also and spent an afternoon indulging in the fragrance showrooms going from S. Lutens at the Palais Jardin to L'Artisan, then over to MPG, then to the tiny little Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle shop then eventually to Caron, Chanel, Hermes, Givenchy and others. I found several great ones! But by the end of the day they all started to run together for me.
    No, I'm pretty sure that I was wearing Musk to Musk- the SA doused me in it (6 or 7 sprays) and it was all I was wearing that day. I only went to one other perfume shop that day (Caron), and I could tell as soon as I left the Montale shop that I liked the Musk to Musk. I saw the White Musk and the Ginger Musk, but the SA kept me focused on the more masculine frags.

And yes, I've done a ton of shopping. I've hit up:

L'Artisan (bought Mechant Loup + samples)
    Caron (bought Aimez moi for a friend + samples)
    Malle (bought Musc Ravageur, then kicked myself for not getting Carnal Flower)
    Montale (bought Black Aoud, then kicked myself for not getting Musk to Musk)
    Etat Libre d'Orange (bought Vrai Blonde, + samples)
    Nicolai
    MPG (found it curious that their boutique did not include Santal Noble)
    Occitaine
    CDG
    Lutens
    and some other mixed-wares perfume shops.

Great trip.

-ben
    Last edited by greyhueofdoubt; 3rd June 2007 at 03:58 PM.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

it's on my list of stuff that's not in the directory. Received as a sample freebie. also got a sample of musk to rose or the other way around. time to call Pierre I suppose.

Musk to Musk is only available in the Paris store for now. Montale has not released it in the USA yet. Slated to be released soon.

Notes in this according to the file they sent me are :

White Musk, Muscade nut, Aoud, Teak Wood, Precious Wood, Grey Amber, Musk.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky View Post
    Musk to Musk is only available in the Paris store for now. Montale has not released it in the USA yet. Slated to be released soon.

Notes in this according to the file they sent me are :

White Musk, Muscade nut, Aoud, Teak Wood, Precious Wood, Grey Amber, Musk.

Hi Vijay-

That's interesting about the notes. I distinctly remember the SA telling me that it was just musk and lavender. Maybe she was new? In any case, it is a very light, transparent kind of musk. If there is aoud, it is very, very subtle.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure that I was wearing Musk to Musk- the SA doused me in it (6 or 7 sprays) and it was all I was wearing that day. I only went to one other perfume shop that day (Caron), and I could tell as soon as I left the Montale shop that I liked the Musk to Musk. I saw the White Musk and the Ginger Musk, but the SA kept me focused on the more masculine frags.

And yes, I've done a ton of shopping. I've hit up:

L'Artisan (bought Mechant Loup + samples)
    Caron (bought Aimez moi for a friend + samples)
    Malle (bought Musc Ravageur, then kicked myself for not getting Carnal Flower)
    Montale (bought Black Aoud, then kicked myself for not getting Musk to Musk)
    Etat Libre d'Orange (bought Vrai Blonde, + samples)
    Nicolai
    MPG (found it curious that their boutique did not include Santal Noble)
    Occitaine
    CDG
    Lutens
    and some other mixed-wares perfume shops.

Great trip.

-ben
    OMG, that is an envy-inspiring trip. That's so wonderful!! I hope that you had a fabulous trip.

Musk to Musk sounds right up my alley! I've been wanting to try a Montale and this one sounds like a great place to start. I'll keep a lookout for sure.
    And yeah, your shopping trip sounds great!

You can get samples and decants here: www.fragrantfripperies.com

Thanks ajmc!

Basenotes Institution

OK guys - luckyscent has this now, and it was part of the Sample Pack (August) so I finally tried it tonight.

Totally agree with the initial post. This is some sexy sh*t.

The top notes, I experienced the same thing that greyhueofdoubt did - I thought, oh-here-we-go-again with the light musk. Sometimes I can't smell musk (Kiehls musk for instance, I can't SMELL!) so I thought this was going to be the case - but then all of a sudden it ramps up and fully blossomed into a spicy sensuous musk scent. Funny story: I asked my BF to tell me if he liked it. He walked over to me, took one whiff of my neck and said, 'It smells like watermelon', at which I made a face. 'Watermelon?!', I said, 'It's musk!' I kept giving him the face, so he walked out of the room.

Unlike greyhueofdoubt, I did get a slight 'animalic' to the musk. In a good way. It reminded me of the animalic notes of A.maze by POTL, without the florals. Let's just say this is world's apart from any white musk scent you've ever tried. This ain't your momma's Bath-and-Body-Works musk, that's for sure. But I guess at Montale's prices, it better not be. Right?

Please try this guys - another winner from Montale.

Oh yeah - and I kinda hate the cheesy name 'Musk to Musk'...? Almost as bad as their other scent 'Chocolate Greedy'.

((sigh))

Thumbs up Re: Montale's 'Musk to Musk'

I got a sample of this from Luckyscent and it is really a nice fragrance. The aoud in my sample is very prominent and it was the first note I noticed. But this is a lighter aoud fragrance without the strong contrasting notes found in many of Montales other auods. Sort of a resinous sour note that gives depth to a musky teak wood. It is oddly fresh smelling on me. At first it there is an ozonic quality that reminds me of some of the Creed scents, but this gives way to a very light musk + aoud that with a light incense wood background. You can really smell the genetic link to the other Montale aouds through the aud renonance of the mix. I like it. It has a deep quality because of the oud but also a light freshness that is great. Not sure if its bottle worthy or not, but I am enjoying the sample!