Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Bandit: Declaration of Badness

Notes include galbanum, orange, bergamot, neroli, jasmine, rose, tuberose, leather, patchouli, mousse de chene, vetiver, musk.

Due to a failed swap of this frag I had squirreled away, I decided to give it another ride.
    Let me just say that I have been spending the weekend getting to know Bandit a bit more intimately and I am a much better woman for it!

Based on reviews, I was really eager to try this frag, sure I would love it, and at first sniff I was rather repulsed. Something musty, something not quite proper, something that had been sitting in the dark a bit too long in need of some sun. I put it away, I put it on my swap list. Just couldn't swap the darn thing away.

So I decided to embrace it one more time. Dear God! Either this little elixer has changed or I have become a dark corrupted scentophile who likes things that thrive under rocks. The first burst of scent makes you do a double take, I am guessing it is the galbanum, something sort of like wet grass and dirt, but there is something very pretty and delicate that makes itself known rather quickly after that settles down. There is a muskiness to this with an impression of wildflowers. There is also something incense like here. It's such an unexpected mix of various notes. I guess there is some leather in here too.

This fragrance is beautifully elegant and yet deliciously bad. It pleases me. It is now officially off my swaplist.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Bandit: Declaration of Badness

your descriptions are so evocative, rtamara! definitely put this review in the directory.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

thanks, quinpus, took your advice.
    now after a few hours, bandit is giving me pepper, incense, flowers and musk. really nice.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Welcome to the club

Bandit's indispensable when you need to feel Bad, but just aren't up to it. One spray and you're Ultraviolet, kicking a**
    Last edited by flathorn; 3rd June 2007 at 06:15 PM.

I have Bandit just so I can wear it with my black leather trousers. It's that kind of scent.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Bandit: Declaration of Badness

hehe..you 'bad girls' are most welcome to sashay by, wearing Bandit. 'most anytime, as I have yet to get a whiff of this one in box, bottle or vitro. Rtamara was that the Edp or the perfume you tried?

And a great review rtamara!

I think I will now have to see if I can find the masculine aspect of Bandit often talked about on Basenotes.
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd June 2007 at 06:33 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

summer means fireflys

I adore Bandit, my "Don't Jack With Me" scent. And like rtamara, I wasn't so sure about it the first time I wore it. But the second time, oh my! it took my breath away with its deep, dark, and dirty leather with a secret creamy white heart. It's bad, confident, and mad sexy ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn View Post
    Welcome to the club

Bandit's indispensable when you need to feel Bad, but just aren't up to it. One spray and you're Ultraviolet, kicking a**
    would that be the "Basenotes Banditas?"
    sign me up, ladies! we can wear leather trousers and t shirts that say "mad sexy banditas" or something like that.now i'm just being silly.

kbe, not sure which version I have, from descriptions, I am guessing it's the edt or edp
    it came naked, without the box, somewhat appropos
    Last edited by rtamara41; 3rd June 2007 at 09:05 PM.

I still have some vintage extrait, along w/ EDP.
    I've loved it since I was small. Find it comforting.
    But I'm a very strange person...
    [Thought that Scandal, at age 3, should be worn by women in sables and heels, with breasts and hips...]

A few weeks ago, I bought Bandit EDT at half price, blind, from all the great reviews I've read here. And like rtamara, when I first sampled it, I don't get it

Actually, I saw rtamara's swap, and I thought to myself, I think I'll try to swap mine out too.

OK, after reading this thread, it's worth a second try! I'll test it again tomorrow evening.

I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

To me both Bandit and Fracas are beautiful but not always easy to wear fragrances. When you are in the mood, they can really fit the bill. They are also great value for the money.

Bandit in extrait is just... amazing. I swapped for a sample, and a full bottle of parfum is on my wishlist.

So glad you discovered it after all, rtamara, and yes, dimples, give her another chance, the bandita may steal your heart yet! If it isn't working now, try again when the weather turns cooler.

Basenotes Institution

Did someone say leather pants..? Bandit sounds downright skanky Renee...will have to sniff soon. You have been wearing this a lot this week.

You betta work, girl!

Talking Re: Bandit: Declaration of Badness

I told myself I could never wear this to work, but this is all I have been wearing to work all week...love it.
    Getting good responses from coworkers
    I like the way it makes me feel.

The moment I first snifted the extrait I had the feeling I had met something lost from my past! A part of me! But then, I have always loved chypre and leather perfumes.
    The extrait is very soft and rounded. I find the edp a more difficult perfume, you must be in a certain mood to wear it, not for every day...

OK, I tested this one late last night... it was a very cool night. *sigh*, I still don't get it. On me the initial 30 minutes smell really horrible, like something rotten. I was really sleepy, so I went to bed and didn't wait for the drydown.

I'll be testing this again in the fall... perhaps then, when I'm in a different frame of mind? We'll see.

Blog Entries

On my skin Piguet Bandit EDP is the mediocre love child of Gres Cabochard & Givenchy III.

It opens all attitude and rebellious like Cabochard (leather and tobacco smoke) but with a lot less class / sophistication. Eventually the stroppiness passes and the creamy slightly animalic woods of Givenchy III endure until the end.

If I had discovered Bandit before the other two I may have held it in higher regard, but I did not and I cannot ignore the rougher, clumsier character of Bandit EDP, having known the smooth sophistication of the others. I shall definitely keep my bottle around - especially as I can no longer get my beloved Givenchy III any more. Maybe I should try the EDT for a closer approximation of my lost love?!

Either way, Bandit EDP is a wonderful leather chypre with attitude for those who are seeking one. Great if it works well with your chemistry. Personally it is not one I reach for often but, as a devoted lover of leathery floral animalic chypres, it is one I am glad to have in my collection.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    On my skin Piguet Bandit EDP is the mediocre love child of Gres Cabochard & Givenchy III.

It opens all attitude and rebellious like Cabochard (leather and tobacco smoke) but with a lot less class / sophistication. Eventually the stroppiness passes and the creamy slightly animalic woods of Givenchy III endure until the end.

If I had discovered Bandit before the other two I may have held it in higher regard, but I did not and I cannot ignore the rougher, clumsier character of Bandit EDP, having known the smooth sophistication of the others. I shall definitely keep my bottle around - especially as I can no longer get my beloved Givenchy III any more. Maybe I should try the EDT for a closer approximation of my lost love?!

Either way, Bandit EDP is a wonderful leather chypre with attitude for those who are seeking one. Great if it works well with your chemistry. Personally it is not one I reach for often but, as a devoted lover of leathery floral animalic chypres, it is one I am glad to have in my collection.

Thanks moondeva, well said. I may just take a small decant from my EDT and swap away the bottle. I guess for me, there are many other well loved leathers and tobacco and I just can't give this one the time of day.

Anyway, I thought I heard somewhere that they are bringing back the old Givenchy's, reformulated of course. I'm not sure if Givenchy III is on the list, though.

Dimples, I wouldn't force it either, honestly, this bottle sat in my drawer for months, and now suddenly it is like a renaissance or something. Each time I apply it, I hesitate for a moment, recalling how it initially repelled me, thinking, do I really want to do this again? and then I spritz and it is like a new creature... again I got a compliment today at work from one of my toughest scent critics. He once told me he'd rather hang upside down than sniff one of the frags I was wearing. He sampled Bandit and said he really liked it.
    I did layer with Chanel no 19 lotion, which is a very subtle veil. I can't help it , I always use lotion of some sort. Maybe that adds a dimension to the Bandit that makes it more palatable.
    In any case, I am enjoying this feeling of discovery.
    I am realizing that, like dora and moondeva, I am a lover of leather and chypre.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 7th June 2007 at 01:51 AM.

I have Bandit on today - I felt kinda guilty about not wearing it much. I'm still not really sure if I like it. I love leathers as a rule - REL and Tabac Blond rock my word, and what I sniffed of Cuir Mauresque was also wonderful. But they are all warm leathers. Bandit is a cold leather. It reminds me of climbing into a car with leather upholstery and one of those Magic Trees dangling from the rear view mirror. The scent of the Magic Tree barely conceals the odour of the car's ashtray, which hasn't been cleaned in a while. Outside it is cold and grey.

If it works for you, great. I just can't get into Bandit R.Piguet here. It's like cryptonite for me now.
    "Stars when you shine you know how I feel,
    Scent of the crime you know how I feel,
    Your freedom is mine, and I know how I feel
    Its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me
    And I'm feelin good"

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/11718

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I have Bandit on today - I felt kinda guilty about not wearing it much. I'm still not really sure if I like it. I love leathers as a rule - REL and Tabac Blond rock my word, and what I sniffed of Cuir Mauresque was also wonderful. But they are all warm leathers. Bandit is a cold leather. It reminds me of climbing into a car with leather upholstery and one of those Magic Trees dangling from the rear view mirror. The scent of the Magic Tree barely conceals the odour of the car's ashtray, which hasn't been cleaned in a while. Outside it is cold and grey.
    I could never really put my finger on it, but you said it beautifully. It's "cold"! Unlike Tabac Blond for example which is a stunning "warm" frag. and one of my favorites.
    I also find the opening so pungent, that I have to hold my arm away from my nose for a good half hour before attempting a sniff. Bandit will never end up on my full bottle list, and the decant I have will I'm quite certain last for years. This one's just not for me!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Below is an excerpt by Robin on the Now Smell This blog:

"Guy Robert called Bandit a beautiful but brutal perfume, and that is as apt a description as any: Bandit is not a fragrance for the timid. It starts with heavy green notes, and moves slowly into a lovely floral blend with hints of spice, but the leather is apparent from the onset, and as it dries down, it is joined by an earthy-mossy accord that vaguely recalls a full ashtray. There is the slightest hint of powder, but it adds nothing of delicacy or girliness, and while Bandit stops short of being feral, the far dry down can only be described as decidedly animalic.

I first tried Bandit some years ago, shortly after I fell in love with Fracas (Fracas being another Piguet-Germaine Cellier composition, more on which tomorrow). Like Fracas, Bandit is in-your-face sexy, but it is the dark, rebellious side of sexy, the bad girl, if you will. It is a sophisticated fragrance, mind you, but in spirit it is younger than Fracas, and it has more energy. Bandit is drinking and smoking and leather jackets, and running around at all hours getting into all sorts of mischief. I've been trying to think of what would be the modern version of such a fragrance, and nothing comes to mind: perhaps there is no such thing?

Anyway, Bandit is just glorious stuff. Do try it if you can. ..."

Again, I was repulsed by this on first wearing and went through quite a stretch recently where it felt like Bandit opened her door and let me experience her nuances and peculiarities that are really quite fascinating. My experience of this scent is anything but cold. It seems to have morphed on me over the months of sitting in my dark drawer, neglected.
    But I am thinking twice about wearing it so often to work.

Bandit is less about sophistication and more about attitude, which is why it still resonates strongly after all these decades. If anything, I'd say it's a better match for women now than 1949.
    True it's a touch devil-may-care, and cold, dry calculation, but that's it MO, and it's ability to bring out La Bandita is legendary. It makes you want to go out and cat around with your girlfriend, do stupid things and not care afterward (sort of sounds like beer, except beer has nothing to do with calculation).
    I received a sample of Tarte and the sample cover showed two 1800's style women duking it out in their long dresses and unravelling hair. I always thought it was a Bandit sort of picture.

I have a total love/hate relationship with this one and probably always will.

If it had one iota of sweetnes or warmth it would be love divine always, but as many have articulated it is a question of attitude. And I have to disagree with Bandit stopping short of being feral, I think it crosses that line quite nicely in the EDP. It is a walk on the wild side, to be sure. An outlaw, the Highwayman poem, an educated S&M (this is just a guess of course)LOL.

I'd love to try the parfum, a nice Bandita would be perfect for me! Jennifer Jones style..something Duel in the Sun

I actually like the dry down a lot. But it takes a long time to get there! I'm not a big fan of green notes which is why I think I have mixed feelings about this one. It's also extremely pungent! I normally have to douse myself in something in order to smell it but Bandit needs to be applied sparingly! It lasts forever, too...which is a problem if you decide halfway through the day that you're really not in a Bandit sorta mood.