Code of Conduct

Default Something has to happen about the catapulting prices of perfume.

This is ridiculous. Amouage, Clive Christian, Bond No. 9, now Bugatti, Montale, Yosh and so many so many others. Somebody tell these merchants that they have taken it just too far. The arguments you hear about the flacons and the rare elements and all that jazz... ring false. Real fans of perfume are not their target buyers anymore. I'm so sickened by the prices I have seen for two stupid fragrances by Bugatti. Nothing.. NOTHING special about the scent at all. Packaging is made for the admirers of *the new king's gown*.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Something has to happen about the catapulting prices of perfume.

edit
    Last edited by Adrian; 3rd June 2007 at 04:04 PM.
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

I suppose as long as there are people willing to overypay, there will be others willing to overcharge.

For my part, I smell everything I can, and buy what I like and consider affordable. I'll probably never own a Clive Christian, and that doesn't really bother me. There are hundreds of other worthy fragrances out there, more than I can manage to wear or appreciate regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

Globalization, the immense growth in Asia, and privatization in the Russian Union are probably some of the causes for unexpected wealth in the hands of relatively few but, as a whole, still huge new groups of individuals. Luxury watches and Jewelry in Switzerland sell like never before (exported). The more diamonds a wrist watch shows, even mens watches, the quicker it is sold ! The most expensive Benz, BMW, and Porsche are also in demand, and so forth. Perfumes are luxury items and the more expensive they are the better they seem to sell. This trend is probably on the rise: think of the new 'privé' collections at major houses. Nouveau riche customers have no time to post here and evaluate - they'll take the price as an indicator for quality, and just buy accordingly.

The Lancome case in the Netherlands has proven that perfume could be sold at the tenth of current current prices with a profit! But there is nothing we can do. We live in a rather dynamic era, and globally demand is growing.
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd June 2007 at 06:16 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

My answer in part to this dilemma, at least in the USA, is the discount stores solution such as TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc.

I picked up Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme, 2.5 OZ, in the travel edition, for just $29.99 this weekend. Sleek leather case held in place by a magnet!

Also got Zirh Corduroy.

For the USA Basenoters, do no write these stores off. There are great deals to be had.

Post Thanks / Like

Just be glad we're not wearing printer ink... the situation there would be even worse.

Need proof? HP just launched the new #75 Vivera tri-color cartridge for its latest Deskjet, Officejet, and Photosmart printers, which costs a whopping $154 an ounce. That's more than Creed or Bond No. 9 scents, almost twice as much as Angel (for women), and $47.10 more per ounce than the HP #95 Vivera tri-color cartridge found in older HP printers.

HP also offers a #75 XL Vivera cartridge that's "only" $78.73 an ounce, which is still far more expensive than Acqua di Gio ($27/ounce) or Gaultier² ($41.25/ounce). Isn't that still a ripoff?

Oh, well... I guess fragrances are actually cheap compared to printer ink.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 4th June 2007 at 04:20 PM.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Just be glad we're not wearing printer ink... the situation there would be even worse.

Need proof? HP just launched the new #75 Vivera tri-color cartridge for its latest Deskjet, Officejet, and Photosmart printers, which costs a whopping $154 an ounce. That's more than Creed or Bond No. 9 scents, almost twice as much as Angel (for women), and $47.10 more per ounce than the HP #95 Vivera tri-color cartridge found in older HP printers.

HP also offers a #75 XL Vivera cartridge that's "only" $78.73 an ounce, which is still far more expensive than Acqua di Gio ($27/ounce) or Gaultier² ($41.25/ounce). Isn't that still a ripoff?

LOL!

Don't put it past Comme de Garcons...it'll be a new addition to the Synthetic Series: Inkjet, Laser, Toner...

Post Thanks / Like

I have never understood why people regard fragrance as expensive. If I were to buy an expensive 75 ml bottle for £70 new and wear 5 sprays every day, that works out as 50p a day and the bottle would last about half a year. Compare that to other daily costs e.g. Coffee, newspapers etc it sounds pretty good.

Of course if you are an obsessive collector of more perfume than you can wear (like me), the sums work out a bit different...
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

The reason prices are going so high is the same reason that there are so many zillions of fragrances coming out like never before - a certain percentage of the population is getting really, really wealthy and they have more money than they know what to do with, so all these products or being pumped out for them. Another strata of people is doing rather well too, and they spend more as well, while the rest are stagnant or going down the tubes.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 4th June 2007 at 05:44 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool Re: Something has to happen about the catapulting prices of perfume.

Much the same with some wines. For someone to spend hundreds and even upwards of a thousand dollars for a 'new' bottle of a Grand First Growth French Burgundy or Bordeaux whose taste (and rating by 'experts') is no better than another Burgundy or Bordeaux lacking those credentials or stellar price, smacks somewhat of snobbism and/or more disposable income than sense.

But then, there are those who live in houses with enormous living space, drive impossibly expensive vehicles, spend a normal person's week's wages on a lunch etc. without either dipping into money needed for essentials or any thought of cost. The market for overpriced items will remain as long as there are willing and able buyers and that keeps the items 'exclusive'.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    LOL!

Don't put it past Comme de Garcons...it'll be a new addition to the Synthetic Series: Inkjet, Laser, Toner...
    They've done it already, with Odeur 71. :wave:

First, let me say that I am not an economist....Common sense tells me that everything in the market place costs more because the dollar is weak. The old Buck ain't what she used to be. Fragrance is a Luxury and I will only go so far. There has to be a limit.
    Yes, You are right. The prices of some of these so-so fragrances is out of control. Somebody is buying because these companies continue to pump out the juice. This is why I really sample before I buy, I want to get the best bang for the buck.
    Gary

I find this thread interesting. I have found it common when someone can't afford something that he/she identifies those who can afford as someone who is cavalier with their money. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it isn't affordable to someone else. We live in a free market economy, and as such, publicly traded corporation's end game is profit. Something YOUR company would likely try to achieve.

Ironically, I don't hear similar complaints about designers...Dior, Chanel, etc...all make ridiculously priced fashion items that are perceived as exclusive.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I've actually bought the bugatti 125ml edt which was less expensive then let's say aqua di gio which is as common as dirt ...it's the sculpture that's priced ridiculousy...i wonder why hasn't anyone reviewd this sweet scent on the forum yet?

Post Thanks / Like

The masses want wars and so they have them. They want expensive perfumes and they have those too. When they don't want any of them, they will cease to be.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post

And since most people do not buy refilled printer cartridges or refill cartridges themselves, they are mostly buying the original equipment cartridges manufactured by/for the computer maker company. Think of the zillions of cartridges already on the market! Same company printers but different models are often using different cartridges, the cost of which is outrageous compared to cost of manufacture. That is where they get ya.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Somebody tell these merchants that they have taken it just too far.
    How 'bout you go tell them.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Post Thanks / Like

That thing with the dollar being weak is true. If I'd be an european manufacturer I'd consider an euro equal to 2.5 USD, considering americans consider 1USD=1EUR even though the Euro is 1.7$.

Post Thanks / Like

It is very simple: there are a lot of people on the world with a lot of money who wants to be different than the others, who wants to show off and let the others now that they are succesful and so on. These people are ready to pay the price and there are producers who are asking for it. But just like the printer inks; if you want you can also buy another brand ink for your printer, refill your cartridge yourself or get it refilled. You can do the same thing with some of the fragrances. They have clones or copycats of them. Because they have a lot of them in Turkey, time to time I compare them and buy some of them. It is the same scent that you get for a very low price.

It's simply "aspirational brand" marketing. As several people have mentioned, there is a class of consumer's who try to buy sophistication and status by spending large sums of money on price inflated products. This practice has been going on since medieval times when artisans would hawk wares to the nobility. "Precious, rare raw materials" in the fragrances have almost nothing to do with the inflated price. Even as a very amateur perfumer, I make fragrances that smell just as good (to me) as half of the luxury brands, but for a fraction of the cost.

It's simply the demand for "exclusive luxury". Watch how often the term "exclusive" is used in relation to perfumes, fashion, or other lifestyle products. Obviously, it implies that most people are "excluded" from the party. Some people want to know that they're wearing something that most people can't attain, whether it's fragrance or fashion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bebe_delia View Post
    That thing with the dollar being weak is true. If I'd be an european manufacturer I'd consider an euro equal to 2.5 USD, considering americans consider 1USD=1EUR even though the Euro is 1.7$.
    Actually, the Euro is worth $1.415 right now. It hit an all time high I think it was last week at $1.42 or $1.43.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the salvation of perfume geeks may lie in the likes of Andy Tauer, Mike Storer, Armando Martinez, BN's jazztweety and Ayala, perfume lovers turned perfumers, whose work is entirely quality-oriented and neither comes with a prestige price tag nor looks at the mass market. These are the true perfume artisans of our day and thanks to the internet economy there will be more and more of these (Indie_Guy, we're waiting for the launch).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I find this thread interesting. I have found it common when someone can't afford something that he/she identifies those who can afford as someone who is cavalier with their money. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it isn't affordable to someone else. We live in a free market economy, and as such, publicly traded corporation's end game is profit. Something YOUR company would likely try to achieve.

Ironically, I don't hear similar complaints about designers...Dior, Chanel, etc...all make ridiculously priced fashion items that are perceived as exclusive.

TNMA

I agree with this assessment. It honestly doesn't bother me at all. If I were the head of a company like Bugatti, whose sole selling point is name prestige and snob appeal, of course I'm going to overcharge for everything I make, regardless of quality. If people are gullible enough to buy it, that's their problem and my benefit.

There are those who represent a more pure and artistic of the perfume world though, I admit. But they are in short supply.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd October 2007 at 05:06 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."