Code of Conduct

Default Broken glass stopper on my Chanel No. 22

A forum search didn't turn anything up.

I'm feeling a little sick and heartbroken at the moment. I was trying to open my bottle of Chanel No. 22 parfum. It is an older one, with a ground glass stopper. While my Bois des Iles and No. 5 opened just fine, the little glass part that you hold on to broke off from the internal part of the glass stopper on the bottle of No. 22. Cuir de Russie is also stuck, and now I'm afraid to have a go at it.

I may try some serious glue (epoxy or..) or try to put a hole in the glass stopper in order to insert a screw or something.

Anyone else done this? How did you get the juice out at least, if not save the bottle?

And how should I open my Cuir de Russie without repeating the fiasco?

Morosely,

Default Re: Broken glass stopper on my Chanel No. 22

Oh no, they are such beautiful little bottles too.

I did have trouble opening my Guet Apens too. In the POL forums, someone recommended the hot wet paper towel method. Microwave a wet paper towel for a few seconds until it's hot. Wrap this paper towel around the neck of the bottle for a few seconds and this should loosen it enough for you to twist the stopper off -- do not force it. You may have to do this a few times before it will open.

My GA opened up in the second or third try. I was also careful with the hot paper towel so that it did not touch and heat up the juice.

So sorry, I can't offer any help with saving the chanel22 bottle -- I can only offer my sympathies
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Blog Entries

One thing to try on the one that is stuck is lay the bottle on its side to allow the juice to lubricate from the inside out. It might take an hour or overnight. I had one that was stuck and it didn't go so well. I let it lube, used a rubber jar-opener gripper. It was a new bottle but it cracked the bottle. I suggest having a stainless steel or glass bowl underneath. Preferably already with a funnel and a decant bottle inside just in case.

<off to lube my perfume bottles now...>

Unfortunately there isn't a stubby or anything to grab on the 22 bottle. Cuir de Russie I'll try your tricks though, thanks.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

You can write to Chanel and ask about, before you bungles twice things :-S:
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Quote Originally Posted by nyneve View Post
    You can write to Chanel and ask about, before you bungles twice things :-S:
    I think it is a good idea to write to the seller. It shouldn't have broken like that.

I've received several Serge Lutens bell jars from sellers who really jammed the stopper way down into the bottle. Those were previously owned bottles though, not new from Shiseido. This is what I did each time to successfully remove it:

Took out a baggie, a dish towel and ordinary nutcrackers. I cut a tiny hole in the corner of the baggie and poked the top of the bottle through the hole so the plastic baggie would protect the label from the water I used in the next step.
    I turned my tap water on so that very warm water was coming out slowly but steadily and held the top of the bottle under the water for about a minute, letting the water slowly heat the neck of the bottle where the stopper was crammed in.
    I dried the bottle, removed the baggie and put the dish towel over the top of it. Then with the towel between the bottle and the nutcracker, I used the nutcracker to gently but firmly rock the stopper up and out.

But, do call before doing anything. If it was a new bottle, it shouldn't have been crammed down in there so far that it broke when you attempted to pull it up.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I think it is a good idea to write to the seller. It shouldn't have broken like that.

I've received several Serge Lutens bell jars from sellers who really jammed the stopper way down into the bottle. Those were previously owned bottles though, not new from Shiseido. This is what I did each time to successfully remove it:
    Unfortunately these are quite old bottles, but still sealed. I already broke off the part that one could hold onto jiggling with my fingers on the No. 22 bottle =(

Thanks for the tips though - I think I'll try everything gently rather than risk a similar break in the future. If it wasn't a lovely bottle and vintage juice, I suppose I wouldn't care so much.

On a side note... are the Lutens bell jars straight ground glass stoppers? I don't know why, but it didn't occur to me that they were.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Nope. Lutens stoppers are plastic coated. I wish I had your broken bottle. I got a drill for Christmas. I'm blanking on the name....one of those hand held high speed engraving/carving/sanding/polishing things I use in working emerald rough into beads. I bet the diamond bit could drill two angled holes to insert tiny steel pins, or glasses screws. Uhmmm. The worst that could happen is the remaining stopper would crack instead of take the bit. How tiny is everything? If the the finger piece is thick, it could be drilled as well, and the pins epoxied in place to both pieces.

This is the type of problem that really captures my imagination!
    Last edited by Shycat; 5th June 2007 at 03:54 AM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Actually, the Lutens' stoppers are glass but the part the enters the bottles is covered in plastic. They are straight though, with a glass sphere on top. I can see that the shape of the Channel bottles' stoppers are more problematic, and more likely to snap off due to their design.

I have a few Channel mini parfums, but mine are newer and probably much smaller than what you are dealing with. The part that enters the bottles on those are entirely plastic. When putting the stopper back in, it gives a little "pop" that lets you know it's all the way in. Since it's all plastic, except for the little rectangle on top, there's plenty of give and wiggling it out is no problem.

Your bottles sound very special, and it's a shame about what happened to 22. I really feel for you Kasae. I wonder if a jewelry repairperson could help with a tiny drill? If you decide to drill either through the top of the stopper stub, or through the bottom of the bottle in order to retrieve some of the precious juice, you may want to have a large new bag of cotton balls at the ready to soak up any accidental spills. Cotton balls soaked with parfum and kept in zip lock bags keep the scent for an incredibly long time. You could tuck a ball or two into clothing to wear the fragrance. You might want to transfer the juice left in the bottle to another glass container if you plan on using it often. It may be easier than inserting a screw and possibly getting tiny bits of glass in the juice from the hole.

I have a feeling you will manage to get Cuir de Russie opened with a little patient coaxing. Maybe the stopper needs to be held by the center and not from the longer ends of the rectangle. Finding a way to gently heat the neck of the bottle a little may help.

It's wonderful that you found and obtained these classic beauties. Do enjoy them.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I love "girls" who can talk drill bits. True perfumistas are not helpless bubbleheads, but practical problem-solvers! Great suggestions, socalwoman.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Nope. Lutens stoppers are plastic coated. I wish I had your broken bottle. I got a drill for Christmas. I'm blanking on the name....one of those hand held high speed engraving/carving/sanding/polishing things I use in working emerald rough into beads. I bet the diamond bit could drill two angled holes to insert tiny steel pins, or glasses screws. Uhmmm. The worst that could happen is the remaining stopper would crack instead of take the bit. How tiny is everything? If the the finger piece is thick, it could be drilled as well, and the pins epoxied in place to both pieces.

This is the type of problem that really captures my imagination!
    Dremmel?

Thanks Shycat, this is the kind of thing I am hoping will be possible. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks something like that might work. If I can't figure out a way to get it open, maybe I'll send it to you ;D I gave my mom a dremmel as a gift, but I haven't used it much at all so I'm not comfortable with it.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I love "girls" who can talk drill bits. True perfumistas are not helpless bubbleheads, but practical problem-solvers! Great suggestions, socalwoman.
    Agreed, Quarry.

I used to build robots actually. And I can replace the hard drive in my old laptop or pretty much do whatever I want or need to do with computers.

[Darn, how embarassing! I was about to link an image here, but my server seems to be down. Perhaps I'll add it later.]

To me (as a mathematician and computer scientist) "geek" is a word with positive associations. In the good sense of geek, we're perfume geeks. We're smart, passionate, and knowledgeable about perfume. So how could we possibly be helpless bubbleheads?

And I second the thanks to Socalwoman for some great suggestions.
    Last edited by kasae; 5th June 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    We're Wrenches for Wenches

Kasae: do the try hot towel method, the POL'ers swear by that method.
    Last edited by dimples; 5th June 2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Wrenches with Wenches
    Perfume Geeks

It's like you kids just served up yummy "word candy." Mmmm ... enjoying.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post

Microwave a wet paper towel for a few seconds until it's hot. Wrap this paper towel around the neck of the bottle for a few seconds and this should loosen it enough for you to twist the stopper off -- do not force it. You may have to do this a few times before it will open.
    Oh yes, I absolutely second this method. It was the one that worked on the seriously stuck stopper of my Scandal bottle, after two hours of trying every other known technique!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 5th June 2007 at 06:57 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Yes, Dremel, that's it. I'd advise against trying anything freehand. I have clamps and a drill press. .
    Please, spritz responsibly.