Code of Conduct

Default Recently baptised in cologne and seeking more advice

Hello my name is Adam and this is my first post. I must say I very much like this forum. I have learned more in two days from this forum than I have in months of visiting all of those department stores and fragrance stores at my locals malls.

I am posting here because I have a question regarding summer heat and fragrances. I live in the central valley in California and we get 100+ degree weather and warm sometimes humid nights. Mostly dry heat though. I am a young buck (23 years old) a clubber and night person. Also I guess fashion wise I would consider myself the tall and dark type. I would like to stand out in the crowd of Armani and Axe body spray wearers to attract some females.

I understand that my body chemistry will also be a factor but I really would like some suggestions as to some fragrances that would work in my situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Recently baptised in cologne and seeking more advice

Welcome, Adam, and I'm glad you've been enjoying Basenotes. My first suggestion is not to worry about scents that will "attract some females." What's going to make you attractive to others in terms of scent is your comfort in that scent. If women are attracted to you, it's likely because of who you are. Hence, a scent that is expressive of "you," that somehow smells like "you" is liable to be your best bet.

I get the feeling though, that you're not really asking the dreaded "What scent do chicks dig?" question that gets so many newbies flamed around here. (If you are, try the "search" feature here.) My understanding is that you're looking for a good summer fragrance for a younger guy to wear out at night in a place where summer heat is no joke.

Many would opt for the very popular fresh aquatic scents. There are some great scents in this category, but they're so ubiquitous right now that everybody's starting to smell the same! For something a little different, you might want to try a citrus fragrance with a litttle bit of "animal" in the background, like Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert, someting woody but Mediterranean, like Philosykos by Diptyque, or a "green" scent like Devin by Aramis (which I wore at your age, and is still very well thought of), or Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Garrigue. Though they're very pricey, you might also want to investigate a few of the very well-made summer friendly scents from Creed, including Silver Mountain Water and Millesime Imperial.

The trick is to sample widely. Try things on - not on paper, but on you. Give a scent at least as half an hour on your skin before you judge it, too. Most will evolve, and sometimes the results are quite surprising. It sounds like you've been taking advantage of the reviews in the Basenotes directory already, but if not, it's worth it. The many opinions you'll find there can help you decide what might sound appealing.

Good luck hunting!

I think you should look into Mugler Cologne, Gucci Envy, and maybe Creed's Erolfa. Some people describe Guccy Envy as sex in a bottle, its good stuff. The other two are unique and good in heat.
    "Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    Mignon McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by The_Monkey View Post
    I think you should look into Mugler Cologne, Gucci Envy, and maybe Creed's Erolfa. Some people describe Guccy Envy as sex in a bottle, its good stuff. The other two are unique and good in heat.
    Of these three, I recommend Creed Erolfa. You can get a big bottle of it for about $100 at Scentiments. Sure it's more expensive, but it stands out. I'm kind of tall dark-haired guy myself and I feel like this one suits me very well. It smells like a limousine ride along the beach, hanging out the moon roof inhaling the crisp salty sea air.

Envy's OK. I used to like it alot, but it's getting kind of common. Mugler Cologne is good, but it's more of a refreshing casual scent--more for hot summer days than going out at night.

Back to Erolfa-- the thing is, a lot of the "marine/oceanic" scents can be nice and fresh, but they can make a person smell like they were born yesterday-- that is, they can convey naiveté and peg a person as a follower. Erolfa smells fresh, and clean-- but it has that mysterious hint of an old soul that will let people know that you've got some real character depth. It's an infinitely wearable work of art.

Good luck and welcome to Basenotes.

Off-Scenter

Come to think of it, I agree with Indie_Guy on Erolfa. It's one of the most "grown up" and sophisticated oceanics out there. (See my review in the directory for more detail.)

I'm still new to this and my nose isn't that sensitive but I absolutely love how you guys convey emotion and feeling from a fragrance. Thank you very much.

Off-Scenter

Another random thought for a very sophisticated, individual, but sensual fragrance that does well on hot evenings:

Ungaro pour Homme II.

It's been discontinued but it's still available online at very reasonable prices. (It may not always be so, since many great, discontinued scents wind up being expensive collector's items.)

oops
    Last edited by matreal; 31st August 2007 at 06:27 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Rush for Men by Gucci

It's discontinued and not available in most dept. stores but is available affordably online (and at most independent 'perfume shops'). It smells like nothing that 20 year old's out there in the California summer nights are wearing: bright fruits and smoky incense - with just enough kick for an 'admirer' to smell. Plus the Rush bottle is cool as sh*t.

I think I bought a friend of mine his, thru Amazon...

Quote Originally Posted by matreal View Post
    oops
    I think this means you are going to spend lots of money since your baptism (I stand to be corrected by matreal though...)

I don't really classify my fragrances as summer and winter scents and a response from Cape Town where it gets to 38° Celcius - I agree that it depends on your body chemistry. On the days that I don't care what my fellow commuters or office workers think of my choice of fragrance (which accounts to 364 days of the year) I spritz on A*men, Scent Intense, Au Masculin, Opium PH EdP and D&G By Man.

However, if heat and humidity really influence your choice of scent, recommendations:
    Hermes - Terre d'Hermes
    Boucheron - Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren - Safari (beautiful summery leather interpretation IMO)
    Calvin Klein - Escape
    Carolina Herrera - 212 (original)
    D&G - Pour Homme

i am similarly a babe in the woods on these boards, but i've been enjoying Versace Man Eau Fraiche in the hot weather, and we hit upwards of 40 degrees celcius here in the summertime. i just find it rather unique compared to a lot of those lacklustre aquatics out there, and i get an amazing ammount of compliments from the opposite sex. on my skin it's quite potent, so i get away with not using a lot.

just my two cents
    Last edited by chad278; 1st September 2007 at 05:42 AM.