Code of Conduct

Default Yardley English Lavender

One of my favorite soaps, Yardley Engish Lavender leaves me longing for more than just a soap. Is there or are there any mens colognes/designer fragrances/niche anything that resembles close to this? Plz don mention yardley sprays(horrid)

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Yardley English Lavender

Have you heard of Caldey Island Lavender Water?

Luca Turin (perfume critic) mentioned in a magazine article that he wears it and the thread below mentions it. I just ordered it from the monastery itself for way cheap - hasn't arrived yet so I can't personally comment on its similarities to the Yardley, but you can't go wrong with the price ($16 in the GBP to US dollar exchange...pretty good!)

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=192239

thanx for the input, when it does arrive plz post : ) and let me know !!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Have you heard of Caldey Island Lavender Water?

Luca Turin (perfume critic) mentioned in a magazine article that he wears it and the thread below mentions it. I just ordered it from the monastery itself for way cheap - hasn't arrived yet so I can't personally comment on its similarities to the Yardley, but you can't go wrong with the price ($16 in the GBP to US dollar exchange...pretty good!)

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=192239
    I'm wearing it today! I've never been a lavender fan, but am converted. It is wonderful.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

A specific French Lavender from La Vaucluse in southern France, and the musk base seem to make it so special. The Belgian perfumer's name is Hugo Collumbien (89).
    Folio September 06 tells the full story: http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/d80bd71b-...b0f626cb3.aspx
    I would like to add that Roger & Gallet have a traditional Lavender which is also very nice. I prefer it to Yardley's Cologne.

Last edited by narcus; 5th June 2007 at 10:03 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The Caldey is not in the directory yet but I posted a review to the other thread. It really is very special.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    A specific French Lavender from La Vaucluse in southern France, and the musk base seem to make it so special. The Belgian perfumer's name is Hugo Collumbien (89).
    Folio September 06 tells the full story: http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/d80bd71b-...b0f626cb3.aspx
    I would like to add that Roger & Gallet have a traditional Lavender which is also very nice. I prefer it to Yardley's Cologne.

Narcus, do you know if the other fragrances from Caldey are from the same nose? I have been looking for a fern for some time and am tempted to try theirs.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 5th June 2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Is the Caldey Lavender a fragrance or is it something like rose water ?
    -

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post

Thanks for the link - I love it how Luca can just call up the perfumer to ask him about the scent that catches his fancy. I'd love have that kind of 'access'.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Narcus, do you know if the other fragrances from Caldey are from the same nose? I have been looking for a fern for some time and am tempted to try theirs.
    I have no idea, sorry!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post

I have the Caldey Island Eau de Cologne and it is not very special at all.

zz - the Lavender is described as an eau de toilette, but the longevity is very good (must be the rat musk (type) base that Mr Turin mentions).
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Basenotes Institution

Just got my Caldey Island Lavender in the mail....yay! Will try and repost on another thread.