Code of Conduct

Default Looking for my jewel in the crown...

It's reached a point now where I'm pretty content with what I have (well, for the moment!). I've always strived to keep it under 20 full-sized bottles and I've managed to succeed in achieving this. However, I thought it'd be nice to obtain one more bottle that could be considered 'the cherry on top' for my collection. Initially, I was considering a Montale but I find most of them too one-dimensional (or they just outstay their welcome). Mazzolari is one house that's recently caught my attention, but I haven't tried their fragrances yet.

I'm looking for something that's high quality, luxurious and potent. Although money's not a concern with this one, at the same time I'm not looking to pay a Clive Christian amount. The only conditions I have are: 1) it must be a unisex or masculine scent and 2) it must smell unique and have great longevity/sillage. So, please check my wardrobe and tell me what you think would nicely round off what I've spent the past year carefully accumulating.

Cheers.

P.S. No Creed recommendations, please!
    Last edited by Trebor; 5th June 2007 at 09:12 PM.

Default Re: Looking for my jewel in the crown...

Either Mazzolari Lui or Czech & Speake No. 88.

Basenotes Institution

Czech & Speake No. 88 - I second the recommendation.

It is quite amazing.

Looking over your wardrobe, I'd say only a luxurious, bold, sweet fragrance would do.
    I'm thinking L'Instant de Guerlain for men, EdP.

Arome 3 Tradition - D'Orsay
    Rose 31 - Le Labo
    Patchouli 24 - Le Labo

Two more-
    Pomegranate Noir - Jo Malone
    L'Homme Sage - Divine
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 5th June 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Off-Scenter

Potent? Unique? Here are a few that you might want to try:

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir (Don't be fooled by the "cologne" strength.)
    Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger
    Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Cimabue
    Malle's French Lover or Noir Epices
    MPG's Parfum d'Habit and Route du Vetiver
    Diptyque's Eau Lente

All are bold and full of character!

I'm seeing some great recommendations here - a couple of which I'd recently forgotten about. I'm planning on investigating most of the shortlisted recommendations this weekend. So far, these are the ones that tickle my fancy:

Mazzolari Lui (although testing it might be a slight problem)
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Pomegranate Noir
    French Lover (hesitantly added)
    L'Homme Sage (didn't like it a few months ago but will give it another go)

Jock_With_Scents, I tried the D'Orsay line last weekend and was very disappointed because they came across as too light for me. As for Le Labo frags, geographically, we've got a problem here.

One of the things I love about the shortlisted candidates is that not many men will be wearing them. At the moment, Czech & Speake No. 88 is the one that intrigues me most.

Please keep them coming!
    Last edited by Trebor; 5th June 2007 at 11:41 PM.

Off-Scenter

Good grief! How could I forget?

Idole!

You already have some sterling scents; L'Air du Desert Marocain , Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum , Fumerie Turque , and Chergui, .

I would highly recommend Cannabis Santal . It's 'different' exclusive, and I doubt you'll smell it on anyone. It's a very comforting(to me at least), has great sillage(but not too much), has gotten me one of the few compliments from a stranger, and lasts and lasts!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Mazzolari Lui (although testing it might be a slight problem)
    I think you can get samples from First in Fragrance (in Germany). If i were you i would also get samples of their Patchouli and Mazzolari as well. They are both excellent. You can also get a sample of No. 88 from here.

I wouldnt recommend French Lover but you can try it nonetheless.

To round off your collection:

Creed Vintage Tabarome (if you can find it in Ol'Blighty)
    Miller Harris Cuir D'Oranger
    -

like you said what better than Clive X...I love it!

Trebor,

Did you sample Arome 3 Tradition from D'Orsay and it was too light? This stuff is far from light on me. Your skin must suck the life out of frags. I get 8 to 10 out of Cuiron with good sillage and you say you get no sillage? A testament to the fact we must have skin that is on the opposite end of the spectrum. lol.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 6th June 2007 at 01:11 AM.

How about L'Artisan L'Eau de Navagateur? My one purchase on a recent NYC trip during which I smelled a lot of stuff. It definitely fits your criteria--indeed, it's about the longest-lasting thing I've found, surprising for a L'Artisan scent. I can easily detect it on my skin after more than 24 hours.

This is frequently listed as discontinued but in fact is sold exclusively at L'Artisan's boutiques.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Profumum Thundra if you can find it.

I would recommend:
    Black Aoud or C & S No.88.

Thumbs up Re: Looking for my jewel in the crown...

I wholeheartedly second No. 88, and would like to add two more fragrances of superior quality, strength and depth. Creed's Royal English Leather and MPG's Santal Noble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Trebor,

Did you sample Arome 3 Tradition from D'Orsay and it was too light? This stuff is far from light on me. Your skin must suck the life out of frags. I get 8 to 10 out of Cuiron with good sillage and you say you get no sillage? A testament to the fact we must have skin that is on the opposite end of the spectrum. lol.
    It was probably Arome 3 (and not the Traditional) that I tried - my bad. However, the others were pretty much the same on my skin (Le Dandy just smelt like spilt brandy on me). But, yeah, our skin chemistry is obviously very different!

There seems to be a lot of votes for C & S No.88 - now, I'm really intrigued! As for Black Aoud, I was very close to buying a bottle but eventually found it too linear and sharp. As for the Profumum line, I tried some of them a few months ago but found the line unimpressive.

Hmmm... it seems the Creeds are creeping in uninvited...
    Last edited by Trebor; 6th June 2007 at 08:32 AM.

Another Guerlain suggestion: Derby (or chamade PH)

Or, l'occitane Neroli edp (excellent longevity and development)

Trebor

What about Richard James Edt?I am now trying it out,my SOTD.The only problem on me the longevity seems ok but for some reason i can`t detect much sillage.Shame because it`a a beautiful scent.

Unique and unisex? What about Chanel's Cuir de Russie? This is definitely a jewel.
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by frank06 View Post
    Trebor

What about Richard James Edt?I am now trying it out,my SOTD.The only problem on me the longevity seems ok but for some reason i can`t detect much sillage.Shame because it`a a beautiful scent.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I had a bottle of this last year and encountered the same problem - great for the first 30 mins and then it gradually faded from my skin. Within a couple of hours, I couldn't detect a thing.

Without reading any of the comments my first thought was:
    #88 and L'Homme Sage - I have both and love them.

After looking over your wardrobe I will recommend three others
    Classic 1920 and 1920 Extreme by Bois 1920 - Classic style mens scents.

Fumidus by Profumum - I see you have Fumerie Turque in your wardrobe and think you'll fall in love with this one. Not cheap. $195.00 for 100ml but not like Clive Christian either. Not too many people are aware of this one, but it's a gem. I only found it because one of the gentlemen that works at Luckycent suggested to me. Truly a "Crown Jewel" in my book.
    Very masculine with great longevity and sillage. You're friends won't be wearing this one.
    The women love this one too if that has any bearing on your quest. Read my review at Luckyscent website for more details.

Ken from Reno

Wink Re: Looking for my jewel in the crown...

Try Eau Noire from Christian Dior it´s a retro 60´s hippie fragrance that´s so alive it needs chaining down !

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Without reading any of the comments my first thought was:
    #88 and L'Homme Sage - I have both and love them.

After looking over your wardrobe I will recommend three others
    Classic 1920 and 1920 Extreme by Bois 1920 - Classic style mens scents.

Fumidus by Profumum - I see you have Fumerie Turque in your wardrobe and think you'll fall in love with this one. Not cheap. $195.00 for 100ml but not like Clive Christian either. Not too many people are aware of this one, but it's a gem. I only found it because one of the gentlemen that works at Luckycent suggested to me. Truly a "Crown Jewel" in my book.
    Very masculine with great longevity and sillage. You're friends won't be wearing this one.
    The women love this one too if that has any bearing on your quest. Read my review at Luckyscent website for more details.

Ken from Reno
    Classic 1920 is one that I'm definitely intrigued about. As for Eau Noire, I'd really like to love this one but I'm currently finding it hard to. Maybe one day...