Code of Conduct

Default YSL Pour Homme... regular or concentree?

so I've come to the conclusion that I love ALL of YSL's scents. From what I have found, at least. For some reason I can't find either of these bottles in any of my local purveyors, and was thinking to buy one of them online. Any thoughts on which you like more?
    Both seem to get good reviews... I was leaning toward the newer formula only as I seem to favor the 80s time period of fragrance-making, but that is a shot in the dark, at best.
    Or, given the price (in contrast to my latest Creed purchases), should one just get both?

Default Re: YSL Pour Homme... regular or concentree?

I tried both of them in Paris recently and found them slightly powdery. Of course, the concentree has much better longevity than the regular version (which didn't really last on me). Other than that, they both smell slightly 80s but nothing special for me.

TBH, I really don't think you need them considering the fact that you've already got both versions of Acqua di Parma in your wardrobe. Personally, I'd stick with them.

good call, trebor! thanks for the advice.

I have both and wear the original YSL PH regularly, although I have two bottles of the Haute Concentrate. Either one would do nicely and both have good duration.

While it is true that YSL PH is a citrus as is Acqua di Parma - Colonia (which I also adore), they take divergent paths once you meet the middle notes. AdP has a slight but tenacious rose note. Both YSL PHs go on an herbal trip instead, not the crash course in herbalism as in Agua Brava or Eau des 4 Voleurs but something with a few choice herbs (verbena comes to mind immediately as well as thyme).

Both YSL Pour Homme and the Haute Concentrate are similar, much more so than say Chanel Pour Monsieur and its Concentree, which seems to veer off on a spicy path, or Eau Sauvage and Eau Sauvage Extreme, which ends up in a bizarro lavendery fougere world.

The Haute Concentrate does have greater duration, and a little darker drydown, I tend to describe it as more dirty. There is also a synthetic note I've recently picked up in the Haute Concentrate bottle I obtained last year ... however, I think it might be relegated to that bottle and not the bottle I have stashed away. Do not expect a typical 80's powerhouse if you get the haute concentrate.

Both are easily wearable. The original tends to be priced quite reasonably and the haute concentrate not far off.

Another thing to note is that I believe the Basenotes pyramid is incorrect, at least partially. I have a YSL pamphlet which came in one of my boxes, which says the following: "The Fragrance: Crisp...confident. A contemporary masculine scent based on sandalwood and patchouli with the clean zest of citrus. Sophisticated and remarkably long lasting, it speaks eloquently of the man who wears it." I believe foeditus's pyramid is most likely correct, although these YSLs come across deceptively simple.

I think you would be fine with either the Concentrate or the original, but recommend the original.

Have fun!
    K
    Last edited by MisterK; 6th June 2007 at 12:57 AM.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I first started wearing the original YSL PH over thirty (!) years ago, and prefer it to the HC because the verbena is more prominant in the original. Also, the original has just the right level of "dirtiness" from the herbal components, and on my skin, at least, the HC can become suffocating. Duration has never been a problem with either of these, though the HC does last a bit longer. At the same time, the price is quite reasonable, so suggesting that you own both is hardly an extravagence, and the HC is a fine choice for a citrus in the cooler months.

Man I really wanted to love YSL pour homme as Kouros is amongst my faves but ..........
    Unfortunately not ... its all lemon with more lemon .. I find Acqua Di Selva much much better and would say a lot of the others mentioned that are similiar could also be better ... So either way my advice is try before you buy ,,, Not recomded by moi .
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 6th June 2007 at 08:28 AM.

YSL PH and the Concentree are probably the only YSLs I can't wear. I adore all of the scents very much, but I have a hard time relating to this one (I've never smelled the Concentree, but I'll definitely give it a shot if I ever see it). There's no denying that PH is an exquisitely crafted scent, but I don't think I'm mature enough for it. Maybe in another 15 years or so I can pull it off.

I've got the Haute Concentration because I wanted a verbena scent that lasts at all costs. I've come to like the dirty quality too, and like all the scent's qualities. I picked HC instead of the stright up version because I wanted to be sure about duration. The straight up version smells great, and has the verbena I love, and is a calm citrus purity of a scent, but I bought HC and am very happy with the decision.

You can't go wrong with either, I think.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
    I have both and wear the original YSL PH regularly, although I have two bottles of the Haute Concentrate. Either one would do nicely and both have good duration.

While it is true that YSL PH is a citrus as is Acqua di Parma - Colonia (which I also adore), they take divergent paths once you meet the middle notes. AdP has a slight but tenacious rose note. Both YSL PHs go on an herbal trip instead, not the crash course in herbalism as in Agua Brava or Eau des 4 Voleurs but something with a few choice herbs (verbena comes to mind immediately as well as thyme).

Both YSL Pour Homme and the Haute Concentrate are similar, much more so than say Chanel Pour Monsieur and its Concentree, which seems to veer off on a spicy path, or Eau Sauvage and Eau Sauvage Extreme, which ends up in a bizarro lavendery fougere world.

The Haute Concentrate does have greater duration, and a little darker drydown, I tend to describe it as more dirty. There is also a synthetic note I've recently picked up in the Haute Concentrate bottle I obtained last year ... however, I think it might be relegated to that bottle and not the bottle I have stashed away. Do not expect a typical 80's powerhouse if you get the haute concentrate.

Both are easily wearable. The original tends to be priced quite reasonably and the haute concentrate not far off.

Another thing to note is that I believe the Basenotes pyramid is incorrect, at least partially. I have a YSL pamphlet which came in one of my boxes, which says the following: "The Fragrance: Crisp...confident. A contemporary masculine scent based on sandalwood and patchouli with the clean zest of citrus. Sophisticated and remarkably long lasting, it speaks eloquently of the man who wears it." I believe foeditus's pyramid is most likely correct, although these YSLs come across deceptively simple.

I think you would be fine with either the Concentrate or the original, but recommend the original.

Have fun!
    K
    Thank you so much for all that info!
    I have always liked the edt and never bought the concentrée so now it's buying time!

original has very low staying power, really need to check out the haute concentate version

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post
    original has very low staying power
    Agree.

If both are affordable and easily deliverable, I'd go for both

Since pour Homme is lighter, it is most versatile, but the Concentree version, while being a definitive love-or-hate scent, it is more powerhouse, more long-lasting, with stronger projection

I don't think the original has low staying power. In fact both have excellent silage and staying power. The difference between them is the lemon note, that in the original is clean and even soapy after the initial fase and the haute concentration has a sour, rancid, sweaty lemon. If you like tons of lemon, both are valuable choices.
    Last edited by lgarruda; 14th August 2011 at 09:13 PM.

I have both, but to be honest, the regular is potent enough. In fact, I use the original version almost exclusively - to my nose it is the better balanced.