Code of Conduct

Default What is about Creed anyway?

When I first discovered Basenotes, I was drawn to Creed based on the rants and raves of GIT. My first Creed purchase, however, was OV and I immediately fell in love. It also just so happens that I love that "Creed note"...mhhmm. So I happen to own a lot of Creeds but my tastes have matured and evolved over the last two years since becoming a member.

With that, having been around for awhile now, I have noticed that a lot of new members, much like I was, are totally enamored by Creed, even without first smelling a single one. I first thought, its a prestige/exclusivity thing. But anyone can get Creed anywhere. Additionally, Creed is not the most expensive compared to others(Fred Malle, Serge Lutens, Montale). Is it simply the Basenotes hype?

What is your take?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Default Re: What is about Creed anyway?

I'd actually heard of Creed several years before coming to Basenotes. I'd heard of Green Irish Tweed in particular.

My first few experiences with samples of Creeds were not that great. I thought Creed was overrated. But then I found something about Creeds that (to me) is inversely true about almost all other fragrances. With most fragrances, I'm crazy about them at first, then lose interest over time, wearing them less and less. With Creeds however, I often find them to be pretty good at first, but over time-- I want to wear them more and more frequently. I don't get sick of them at all.

As much as I love some of my L'Artisans, and other niche and designer frags-- my opinion of them changes-- at some point, they don't hit my nose with the same kind of "payoff" that they did in the beginning. My Creeds just seem to get better and better every time I wear them.

While I'm a big fan of unconventional fragrances like those of Comme des Garçons, I am equally a fan of perfectly made, top quality scents like those of Creed-- even though they may skew toward being conservative to some. They smell wonderful and in the real world, you just can't go wrong with Creeds.

I'm also a big fan of the "Creed House Note".

As far as hype goes-- put it like this: when you strip away the packaging, the marketing, the bottle, the name-- everything else. When you just spray some on and go out into the world amongst complete strangers-- and they react to you so overwhelmingly positively, then you know that it's not hype.

And in my experience of wearing various Creeds, people around me always react favorably to them. I love Creed.

Talking Re: What is about Creed anyway?

Noticed this too,it is a bit of a hype,here on basenotes,everyone's asking about it,there are always recommendations on it,especially when one askes about a particular type of fragrance within a limited budget and you get suggestions like,SL,Creeds and other niche houses.

Having said that there isn't much about creed on the women's board,they seem to be less impressed with all the hype generated around it!Well done to you.
    I personally would like to see more discussions on YSL frags which is one of the best houses.
    However that is not to say that I don't appreciate quite a few of their offerings,Irisia which is a gem with incredible sillage and longevity,MI and a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    When I first discovered Basenotes, I was drawn to Creed based on the rants and raves of GIT. My first Creed purchase, however, was OV and I immediately fell in love. It also just so happens that I love that "Creed note"...mhhmm. So I happen to own a lot of Creeds but my tastes have matured and evolved over the last two years since becoming a member.

With that, having been around for awhile now, I have noticed that a lot of new members, much like I was, are totally enamored by Creed, even without first smelling a single one. I first thought, its a prestige/exclusivity thing. But anyone can get Creed anywhere. Additionally, Creed is not the most expensive compared to others(Fred Malle, Serge Lutens, Montale). Is it simply the Basenotes hype?

What is your take?

TNMA

I treat Creed just like every other House as I look for frags I want in my wardrobe.
    If Creed has a nice fragrance that works for me, cool. I don't buy for the name of a House, nor do I have an agenda on this forum to 'sell' or 'circus bark' for one House over another.

I have noticed since joining the board and even as a lurker before that there is a lot of Creed infatuation by some newer and younger members. Maybe it is a reflection of our culture in the US at least. We are all looking for instant verification from others that we have style, taste, and status. Owning Creed may be seen in the same light as walking around with a Diesel label on your jeans, or a North Face fleece jacket: It is a sign to others that this person has good taste and can afford it? I don't know.

I am a bit older than the generation I am referring to, so I may be totally off base. Creed is really good. I own 4 and look forward to their new releases, but I do feel that there is Creed hype on here that has little to do with the quality of this line, but because of the perceived prestige that it brings simply by owning one and having it sitting on your vanity for others to see.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 6th June 2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Actually, for most of us, the Creed name is not even KNOWN within the areas we live in, let alone hyped. The only people in my area who know of Creed are those who shop regularly at Neiman Marcus, which is located in a posh suburb, not in a centrally located downtown. But, it is possible that Erwin Creed's influence is starting to attract younger consumers and changing the image of the house, particulary with Virgin Island Water.

I used to read mostly women's perfume boards, and I noticed how much women would bash the Creed line. I don't believe that this had anything to do with supposed hype, but the fact that Creed doesn't offer as much of the baby powder notes, aldehydes and "enter the room before you do" impact that other houses do (honestly, I sometimes want to pass out when walking through the clouds of perfumed powder in the women's locker room of my health club).

I don't view it as hype when there are so many Creed threads here. Most of these posters don't have access to Creed through local stores, and it IS a very large line. It's good that they're asking questions, and hopefully they'll learn to test and think for themselves. I finally got beyond the biases I was noticing in the women's boards, and found most Creed scents to be far more surprising than I'd expected. They're also the only fragrances I've owned in which I've become far more impressed with them the longer I own and wear them.

It would be nice if we like some fragrance and it happens to be from the House of Creed.

However most of us make the mistake of forcing ourselves to like a fragrance since it is from the House of Creed.

I have read innumerable threads about longevity of some of Creed's most popular scents (MI stands on top of that list). I bet if MI wasn't a 'Creed' it would have been shunned by members here.

So the moral is

Glorify a 'House' because of its creation of a fragrance.

DONT glorify a fragrance because its from a particular 'House'.

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 6th June 2007 at 01:30 PM.

The Basenotes perception is a bit misleading - if you frequent other blogs and perfume sites, Creed (or any other other english/italian houses) are rarely talked about or discussed. Its all about Serge Lutens, Guerlain and other classic french houses there.

Regarding price, I think Creed might be more expensive than the others. 1oz. Creeds are priced at $98. Serge Lutens 1.69oz. bottles retail $100. Thank god for the grey market.

With that said, its somewhat of a mystery to me how new members (mostly) start off posting about how they recently read about how great Creed (and especially GIT!) is at this site when we havent seen seen the high levels of Creed hysteria posts as in the past (1+ years ago)....maybe its because of those "Help! my Creed is fake!" threads ...
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    . . . With that said, its somewhat of a mystery to me how new members (mostly) start off posting about how they recently read about how great Creed (and especially GIT!) is at this site when we havent seen seen the high levels of Creed hysteria posts as in the past (1+ years ago)....maybe its because of those "Help! my Creed is fake!" threads ...

Maybe it's because some of us kept pointing out that almost every one of those hysteria posts in the past tended to sound like advertising babble for Creed. More nonsense has been written about Creed than all other houses combined. I am glad the level of nonsense has tapered off, and I am looking forward to reading some level headed, informative, and inspired assessment and appreciation of the Creed brand, but I am not holding my breath. I have said this before, but I have usually found that the most interesting reads about Creeds are by those Basenoters who tend to like one or two Creed fragrances and have some objective distance from the status/quality nexus that seems to pervade the rhetoric of most Creed lovers.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 6th June 2007 at 01:53 PM.

I must've been an odd one, in that I AVOIDED Creed for years. I hated that it was only available in NM. I hated the NM "personal service experience," and I wasn't convinced that inclusion at NM signified excellence. I thought that the bottle design made the scents look like they were designed for stuffy British polo players. I hated the Creed image (the "most natural ingredients" claims). Actually, I'm just plain turned off by the snob appeal of the whole niche industry. All those fawning posts about what an "artiste" Lutens is, and how only the "most discerning" noses recognize that are nauseating to me. But one day I finally succumbed to a friendly NM SA and a pretty bottle (Original Santal), and I found the best reason for buying Creed: I had a good chemistry for their famous basenotes.

I can agree with the earlier comment about MI, though. A year ago, I thought that MI would be a classic I would buy forever. Now, I'm looking at my 2/3 empty 1 oz. bottle, and giving serious thought to its longevity problem, the Unforgivable ripoff and the Creed price, unsure that I'm going to buy it again. I'm also looking at my cheap bottle of Arran Aromatics After the Rain, which lasts a bit longer than MI and will probably see more use this summer. And this is the right way to be: admire a house, but think of the SCENT first, and let that guide your choices.

Creed is a polarizing fragrance house because their formulation really does try for greatness. They rarely play it safe in a fragrance design. They use high concentrations and odd combinations. The results are either a BIG HIT or a BIG MISS. You either like it a lot, or you don't like it at all. Even when you find one you don't like it is still probably a great fragrance for someone else. Their ingredients are excellent and they use mostly concentrated essential oils and the vision for their fragrance design is brilliant. I appreciate the fact that they really do walk down the road less traveled. Creed dares to be great. And often they are.

I've owned 8 different Creeds over the years - I only have two at this time. Some I could not wear because the strength of certain elements just seemed too harsh and clashes with my personality (SMW and MI). But others were and still are some of the best fragrances I've owned (Erolfa, OS, BC). My SO has her favorites that are not mine. It's a broad product line and many that are favorites of others will never work for me. But I have found that you can not generalize with Creed. The line is so broad that there are other frags around the corner that will surprise you.

I spent a day sampling the dozens of Creeds at a Creed shop last week and was astounded at the breadth of the line. They really have covered almost all the bases in fragrance but I am still surprised by what I find there that I never noticed before.

In my books, Creed is one ofthe best fragrance houses considering the breadth of their offerings (if not the best). The only others that come close are Serge Lutens, Guerlain and Chanel - but these for their feminime fragrances mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    The only others that come close are Serge Lutens, Guerlain and Chanel - but these for their feminime fragrances mostly.
    And that is one of the other things about Creed too. As another poster has indirectly alluded to, Creed is primarily a male scent house, not a female one. The other houses are primarily based on their appeal to women though the big ones do have sub brands for men.
    Last edited by alpine; 6th June 2007 at 04:05 PM.

I do not like any of the Creed fragrances and think the firm is terribly overrated.

Thumbs down Re: What is about Creed anyway?

I have tried for many years to like Creed fragrances but none of them work on me. To me, 3/4 of Creed' line smells the same, last about 15 minutes on my skin and even the new Virgin Island Water (aka: Hawaiian Pledge) was extremely underwhelming.

Not worth it.

Blog Entries

When I found basenotes, Creed was all the rage here. I sought the house out @ Hall's, & immediately fell in love with Silver Mountain Water. I got a bottle & loved it. I also got bottles of OV & MI. I sold my bottle of OV when I realized I liked Mugler Cologne more (as you know, thenmarcher, hehehe) & I returned my MI a couple days after purchase due to the poor longevity. Eventually, I even sold my SMW & was w/o any Creed frags in my 'drobe for about a year. I began craving SMW again, so I got another bottle & I'm very happy with it again. Also, when my parents were up a few weeks ago, we were @ Hall's looking around. Of course I was sniffing around @ the Creed counter. My mom joined me, & fell in love with Virgin Island Water, even without knowing anything about the Creed house.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia