Code of Conduct

Thread: Vetiver

Default Vetiver

Well, I discovered something just now. As I opened up my Serge Lutens salon exclusive samples, I dabbed a couple on my wrists. One was Cuir Mauresque (Dimples, you are right about this one, it's wonderful); the other was Vetiver Original. Now I've never really smelled Vetiver in isolation before, but suddenly I realised that's the note I smell in a lot of men's fragrances that I really dislike. It's what I called the bath bubbles note - because it reminds me of 1970s bath foam. And there was me thinking it was a marine note...but no, it's vetiver. Well, you learn something new every day!

Default Re: Vetiver

Congratulations on your discovery! Should read "Vetiver Oriental" though, and while we are on it -- get prepared, July S'n'S Saturday is green with emphasis on vetiver-based fragrances.

Yes, it is Vetiver Oriental, that was me not reading it properly in a dim room. That's what I like about this hobby - it's one big journey of discovery!

hehe yeah i just discovered wat vetiver was today too... but i went to l'occitane... its so cute!

Oh, vetiver !
    I LOVE me some grassy, grassy vetiver.
    Have many, many,many.
    A great classic, balsamic and magnificent, is CSP's Vetiver d'Haiti, if you can find it.
    Will make you fall in love with the real thing.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    One was Cuir Mauresque (Dimples, you are right about this one, it's wonderful)
    Okay, how many times must I see CM praised before it finally goes on my "to try" list? On it goes right now.

On the subject of vetivers -- The next Sniff 'n' Speak (Saturday, July 7) is about "greens," and someone (forgive me for forgetting whom) suggested months ago that we place a special focus on vetiver. So, start piling up your samples and your thoughts, and we'll all learn something new.
    Last edited by Quarry; 7th June 2007 at 03:40 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I cannot wear vetiver unless it is beaten down in the base notes and told to sit quietly in the background. It turns into a damp boggy swamp smell on me.
    DONNA

Vetiver is so intense and strange (you should seek out a little EO if you get a chance!) that I have to be in an intense and strange mood to enjoy it. In damp, hot climates it can be wonderful, especially spritzed on clothes in the closet daily. I believe they weave it into screens in India, dampen them, and hang them in doorways to cool and refresh the air. Sounds lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I cannot wear vetiver unless it is beaten down in the base notes and told to sit quietly in the background. It turns into a damp boggy swamp smell on me.

chayaruchama Oh, vetiver !
    I LOVE me some grassy, grassy vetiver.
    Have many, many,many.
    A great classic, balsamic and magnificent, is CSP's Vetiver d'Haiti, if you can find it.
    Will make you fall in love with the real thing.
    Found it at Fragrancenet. Thanks for the reference, ChayaMya!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze