Code of Conduct

Default Father's Day Fragrance Memories of Dad

My father passed away ten years ago, but I think that some of my interest in this hobby dates back to the eary 60s, when I remember Dad and his taste for certain fragrances. He liked English Leather Lime, and he had othes as well. He was one of those guys on whom today's retro interest in wet shaving habits was based, I think. He did the whole lather up with a brush, and shave with a double edged blade, and he'd finish off with the Lime or maybe a Bay Rum fragrance. I began using some of his stuff in 8th grade.

My father was a no-BS kind-of-guy, who liked John Wayne and Ward Bond and that whole crowd. He would have disliked today's unisex fragrances, but, I like to recall that he wouldn't go off to work without a bit of manly scent on his well-shaven face.

Any current or past dad fragrance memories to share this time of year?

Default Re: Father's Day Fragrance Memories of Dad

My Dad has always worn Old Spice and Aqua Velva after shave as long as I can remember. He was a high school football coach and teacher. He is now retired and living in good health. He is a sporty, on the go man; always fishing or hunting in his retirement. I bought him some Polo Sport back in the 90's and he never once sprayed it as far as I know. It is Old Spice and Aqua Velva and nothing else. He does compliment me from time to time on my frags though. He is a great man and I love him so much.

My father always wore Aramis and even though I don't really like Aramis, I love it because of the memories it evokes. My father died 5 years ago and since then I occasionally smell it on some man but I don't wear it myself. My brother, on the other hand started wearing it after my dad died and it is his signature frag. This is a great threat topic and I am reminded of Guerlain's tag line "A trace of myself, in the memory of others"

My Dad likes Lagerfeld, Aramis, & Aramis 900. Aqua Velva he likes too but the skin life is his only complaint. I'm suprised that he doesn't like Bel Ami or Equipage. He also likes Tabac. That was what you'd find in his collection.

I lost my dad 5 months ago, unexpectly in a not so nice way. (is it ever..)
    I have no brothers or sisters, so I'll have to drag myself and my mum through x-mass. It's so strange how scent memories are also linked with certain events in ones life.

I remember him liking the Polo Blue aftershave I gave him for fathers day last year. When I visit my mother , that bottle is still standing on his table, next to his bed.

So weird,......
    Last edited by eric; 18th December 2007 at 09:48 PM.

I'm sorry about your dad, eric. Its always traumatic to lose a parent. It will get better. I lost my dad about 10 years ago but I at least had my 5 sisters. I will always remember my dad smelling of Old Spice and Lucky Strikes/Viceroys.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Dear old Dad..Hmm, I remember the Kanon aftershave and cologne.

My Dad and I met when I was 22, and at the time I learned he's a bit of a scent enthusiast like me! (Isn't it funny we shared similar passions, even if we lived a world apart)?
    As a merchant sea-captain I would always remember him opening his cases upon his return from year-long voyages and there would always be something brand new or vintage amongst his bottles.
    His bathroom shelves are now like a scent museum.

I associate him generally with the smell of Escada Pour Homme.