Code of Conduct

Default Luca Turins list of top 5 perfumes ever created

Does anyone where to find this list, or what perfumes are on this list, and in which order ?

Default Re: Luca Turins list of top 5 perfumes ever created

I recall that in his extint blog, he mentioned a list of 10 perfumes he would save from an asteroid crash. Let me do a search...

...OK, here they are: Angel, Beyond Paradise, Black, Bois de Violette, Cuir de Russie, Farnesiana, Habit Rouge, Joy, Mitsouko and Shalimar.

And here's the link: http://lucaturin.typepad.com/
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Many thanks Gus !

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I recall that in his extint blog, he mentioned a list of 10 perfumes he would save from an asteroid crash. Let me do a search...

...OK, here they are: Angel, Beyond Paradise, Black, Bois de Violette, Cuir de Russie, Farnesiana, Habit Rouge, Joy, Mitsouko and Shalimar.

And here's the link: http://lucaturin.typepad.com/
    'Black'? What's 'Black'?

I believe he is referring to Bulgari Black.

that list is based on several variables - scentemental reasons, etc. you'd get a slightly different list if he were asked to name the best ever made.

Dependent

When he has SL's Miel de Bois on any of his best lists I'm gonna have to stop taking the man seriously.

Beyond Paradise? Oh my word, he needs to get out more often.

Alot of what this guy says is nothing more than BS. Most of the time he doesn't even give real reviews. JMO.

Wasnt Tommy Girl also on Turins' list ? Or maybe it was on Chandler Burr's list
    Last edited by zztopp; 7th June 2007 at 09:23 PM.
    -

Those are not the 10 that I would save.....Also.....I'm not a real fan of top 5 or top 10 lists from these famous people. I know that my list changes every year....Sure...some stay the same but many change.
    Gary

Those are not the 10 that I would save.....Also.....I'm not a real fan of top 5 or top 10 lists from these famous people. I know that my list changes every year....Sure...some stay the same but many change.
    Gary

Does nobody else see the crime here? He would only save 10? Come on! You can do better than that! I'd save as many as I could fit in my car!
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Well, doesn't it make sense what Pluran indicated, based on the list? Sentimental reasons...

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Cool Re: Luca Turins list of top 5 perfumes ever created

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Beyond Paradise? Oh my word, he needs to get out more often.
    LOL!

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Thumbs down Re: Luca Turins list of top 5 perfumes ever created

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    When he has SL's Miel de Bois on any of his best lists I'm gonna have to stop taking the man seriously.
    ........also Angel.
    --------------------------------------
    I tried looking for this list on the link Gus mentioned, but it doesn´t seem to exist anymore. If those perfumes mentioned by Gus really are Turins top 5 ever created, then I am schocked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by david; 8th June 2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It think that 10-frags-recommendation should be seen within its context:

'Crack 'Doom' is a game suggested (reprint?) in L.Turin's blog . The reader is encouraged to select ten frags within ten minutes from a Sephora shop (US) as worthy to be saved for the future. Everything else would be lost to mankind. It's clearly a choice of best, not necessarily favorites, and I think the conditions give you a responsibilty for everybody else.
    That's how Turin makes his choice, and the bloggers present their own baskets fo gooddies. One of them states he could do with five only, so, maybe it's because of Julian why some refer to a list of five now? As always with Turin - this is not necessarily what he would wear himself, or dearly loves. He is not talking about 'best ever made'. His choice is limited to what Sephora (LVMH's own shop) offers.
    Please bear in mind: this is just one thread in LT's own (private) blog, and not anything semi-official like those 'award ' lists the industry publishes annually. At other places he has described Beyond Paradise as the non plus ultra in a specific line of floral perfumes through history. Mitsouko and Cuir de Russie certainly belong to the ones he also loves. But it is evident why neither Nombre Noir nor Coty's Chypre are mentioned in this context.
    Last edited by narcus; 8th June 2007 at 10:50 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Re: Luca Turins list of top 5 perfumes ever created

We should also consider, unlike Narcus suggested, that in this particular game the idea might not be to choose the ten best from the fragrances Sephora carries. I really don't know, just a thought.

If we are to save ten fragrances for the future, we should not take for example ten orientals; we should choose fragrances that are very different from eachother, to save the variety and evolution of perfume as well as we could in just ten scents. This might also explain why Angel is in, it's certainly an important fragrance in a way, no matter if we like it or not.

No, my friend! I didn't suggest Sephora, our hero did!
    I believe Sephora stands for: bottles readily available, as opposed to 'top perfumes ever created' (like the thread says). And I interpreted in ten minutes as meaning: 'don't think too long about i't, etc... maybe he expectes people to also grab something for their partner, wife, daughter, whomever...in this game (!).

I have tried my best. Why don't you go to the source, it's all laid out for you on page 227 of http://www.flexitral.com/research/Blogtextweb.pdf.
    Last edited by narcus; 8th June 2007 at 12:00 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Re: Luca Turins list of top 5 perfumes ever created

Ha! Narcus, ofcourse I know you didn't suggest Sephora, you wouldn't do such thing! What I meant was, that you said it would be about picking the best fragrances, not own personal favourites. I suggested it might not be about picking the best, but the ten fine fragrances that best represent the field of perfume today.

Alright, I'll check it out for myself, so I don't have to do the guessing .
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 8th June 2007 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    ........also Angel.
    --------------------------------------
    I tried looking for this list on the link Gus mentioned, but it doesn´t seem to exist anymore. If those perfumes mentioned by Gus really are Turins top 5 ever created, then I am schocked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    david, sorry if I wasn't too clear, just follow the link mentioned above by narcus to see where I found that list. Btw, as narcus points out, that list must be interpreted in its context (although I doubt Sephora carries Farnesiana ). If you are interested in LT's personal tastes, perhaps you should read his infamous "Perfume Guide", maybe that would be more insightful than this blog entry.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Love and peace, you all !
    Gus, maybe you went through later posts, and also noticed that there were only nine frags listed originally? He added Farnesiana only when his audience did the count for him.
    Of course he also loves a couple of Lutens, Tabac Blond , and a few others. But as I know from Sephora France - they don't have them!
    Last edited by narcus; 8th June 2007 at 04:06 PM.