Code of Conduct

Default can anyone recommend a fragrance to me?

i am a college student and i've been shopping around for a new fragrance. i really do enjoy the right one, however my budget is limited and i prefer to just have one scent that i wear every day, something that i identify with very closely. i am finishing up my bottle of L'eau D'Issey, and i would like something very different.

after reading around on this forum, i've decided that a vetiver scent is probably what i'm looking for. i have tried Guerlain's Vetiver and also MPG's Route du Vetiver, and i greatly prefer Route du Vetiver. however, i am wondering if anyone here can recommend me something cheaper or more appropriate.

i dislike most fragrances, to be honest. here are some that i've tried:

terre d'hermes - too old & classic
    thierry mugler cologne - too clean and uninteresting
    lacoste elegance - too complicated and "expensive" smelling
    guerlain vetiver - too citrusy
    john varvatos vintage - more for evening wear only
    dolce & gabbana light blue - too flowery & powdery
    armani mania - alright but ultimately too polite

i am looking for a fragrance that does not make me smell like i'm rich or going to a club, but rather something that is earthy, simple, and natural. i really enjoy the Route du Vetiver and cannot think of any missteps on its part, but again i'd rather pay less. any recommendations are very appreciated!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: can anyone recommend a fragrance to me?

What a coincidence - I recently fell in love with Route du Vetiver myself. Most vetivers had mildly interested me, but RdV just really swept me off my feet. Can't say enough.

Yes, its pricey so thats why its not in my wardrobe. Other scents that I think compare are just as pricey (Rose Poivree by The Different Company, Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur...) However there is another one that is more affordable: Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe. I know, it sounds 'cheesy' (I hate the name), but the scent is just as good as RdV, although it is a different 'theme' (violets, not vetiver) executed in the same style.

You can buy a sample from AL on their website. Try it - I think you might like!

Good luck.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th June 2007 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    However there is another one that is more affordable: Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe. I know, it sounds 'cheesy' (I hate the name), but the scent is just as good as RdV, although it is a different 'theme' (violets, not vetiver) executed in the same style.

You can buy a sample from AL on their website. Try it - I think you might like!

Good luck.
    thanks very much for your help, i'll check that one out! anyone else have a suggestion?

"Earthy, simple, and natural" has me smiling a bit ... I'm a different gender, different life stage, different continent, but I'm also pretty new to this and it sounds like we have similar expectations of a good scent.

Cipresso di Toscana from Acqua di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo line is reasonably priced where I live. It was a little too "nice" for me, so I gave up coffee-to-go for the summer and opted for a scent over twice as expensive.

Sounds like you're trying thoroughly before buying. This is the approach I'm taking - one bottle per season (autumn-winter and spring-summer) is already a splurge. In winter I bought Etra (Etro), now for summer I have Maestrale (Pantelleria). On me, they're both "earthy, simple, and natural."

Here's Maestrale on Lucky Scent, since I can't find it in the directory here. Funny that the reviewer on Lucky Scent compared it to Bursch, a scent strong in the running for my next autumn-winter purchase.

YMMV and all that, and get decants so you can test for a week or so before buying. Fortunately, I don't get any citrus at all in Maestrale. On one reviewer, Etra turned sweet-vanilla-syrupy. Cipresso apparently goes Pine-Sol on some people.