Code of Conduct

Default Azzaro Onyx...way underated

I had some flip-flops that I took back to Marshall's without wearing...I got a $14 store credit and thought, "I'll just get some cologne instead".

I considered Boss Bottled, but I went with Azzaro Onyx. A great decision.

It's a rich, powerful, manly scent. I put one spray on my wrist last night and it lasts and projects. My wife and older son both commented on how good it smelled.

I got the 3 piece set (1.7 EDT, Shower Gel and ASB) for $24.99.

Considering what I paid, I'm real tickled with this one. Those who prefer scents in the vein of Anteaus, Varvatos, Drakkar, Creed Bois du Portugal and other dark, rich scents need to try it out.

Just don't pay attention to the price, store or previous negative posts. Try it out for yourself.

Default Re: Azzaro Onyx...way underated

I just have a sample, but I do agree. This one is the best Azzaro so far.

I have 2 bottles under the name of Silver Black. Whenever I wore it I got asked "What's that?" in a good way.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

It has stuck out whenever I've tried it among others at the department store. If it come my way cheap...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I agree...it stands out. It got trashed here when released. Better than the 40 flankers taking up the shelf space at my local Macys. Another one flying under the radar is ST Dupont Noir.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 7th June 2007 at 10:50 PM.

I used to own it an thought it was just OK. Kinda reminded me of L'Anarchiste a bit, which I wasn't too crazy about either.

Also, I never really found a great situation to wear it. Seemed like it worked better in the cooler weather, but never felt comfortable wearing it to work. Not a fresh scent, not a formal scent. Kinda in "no man's land" ... IMHO of course.

I also agree!

It is a breath of masculine air in a world of WAY too many fresh citrus colognes!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

It reminds me of Drakkar Noir, but Onyx is a bit heavier and sweeter. It could've become a hit 15-20 years ago.

Thumbs up Re: Azzaro Onyx...way underated

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I just have a sample, but I do agree. This one is the best Azzaro so far.

Totally Agree! In day of short lived citrus marine scent - it was nice to see some had the guts to come out with some thing like this.

It reminds me of the classic 80's scents that had character!

I tried it three times (to be sure of it) and I bought one three days ago for a good price. It reminds me and past 8X4 deodorant. It was in a brown meal container with a name like Fruhling Frisch or Herbst Frisch and it was very popular at 80's. Not that it is a bad scent. At that time it was meant for women to my taste it was unisex and I bought one for me then. Later on sometime around 1995-96, I found another bottle by chance and I bought it. I'm still using it with a greate care and it is almost finished. I was surprised when I first tested it. First I wanted to be sure about it When I was back home at the weekend I gave mm 8x4 a try and it was the same base. Later on I gave Onyx two more tries to be sure how it would go till the drydown. Finaly I was sure and bought it. But at the same time I have discovered that Narciso Rodriguez for her smells almost the same. A woman in the company is using it and it smells the same. When I asked her, he told me that it is Narciso Rodriguez for her. I wonder how Narciso Rodriguez for him smells. I will give it a try if I can find it.

Thumbs up Re: Azzaro Onyx...way underated

One of my favorites and I get more compliments from it than any other by far.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by Amir; 20th January 2014 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    thank you!! its about time this cologne got the praise it deserves. i hardly ever make a post here but i just couldnt pass up this opportunity to say that onyx is in my top five!! (even ahead of all your coveted Chanel's, YSL's, Gucci's, Amen, Ralph Lauren's, Bulgari's). i was beginning to lose hope that nobody has any decent taste anymore. this cologne smells rich and amazing, projects, and gets attention from females.
    Yes it projects very well. Each time I wear it I get head turns and questions. Anyway, a bit difficult to wear as I must really be in the mood.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

LOVE IT! Get compliments on this one by the ladies (all like four of them out of the 1000 people here) often. This one will remain in the stable for a long time.

Regs,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    i was beginning to lose hope that nobody has any decent taste anymore.
    Careful there......i'm sure you speak in jest.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Just don't pay attention to the price, store or previous negative posts. Try it out for yourself.
    It's interesting that you came out of the gate already on the defensive about this one. I think the price and previous negative posts speak for themselves. I don't remember whether I personally posted and I don't feel like looking it up, but I do remember the negativity - or maybe it was mostly indifference. I remember trying it and thinking it had that "old man" smell (sorry, that term is so old and controversial around here but it is the only thing that matches my take on the cologne) and it was also gone from my skin and the tester card by the time I left the mall (around 2 hours).

This brings up an interesting point, maybe one worthy of its own thread: Do you think the fact that you just spent money on a cologne - BLIND - has an influence on how much you like it, at least initially, until you put some time between you and the purchase ("lost" money) and are able to make a more unbiased evaluation? In other words, if it were given to you by an acquaintence (not a good friend or relative) and you did not feel obligated to wear it or you had not spent any money on it, would you like it so much?
    Last edited by MadScientist; 20th September 2007 at 05:08 PM.

Well, I had it on my swap list, but based on a long-term re-think and in consideration of the upcoming cooler temperatures, I'm pulling it back. Let's give it another shot!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    This brings up an interesting point, maybe one worthy of its own thread: Do you think the fact that you just spent money on a cologne - BLIND - has an influence on how much you like it, at least initially, until you put some time between you and the purchase ("lost" money) and are able to make a more unbiased evaluation? In other words, if it were given to you by an acquaintence (not a good friend or relative) and you did not feel obligated to wear it or you had not spent any money on it, would you like it so much?
    I can only speak for myself. I buy most perfumes blind and I've never lied to myself about liking something or not. In fact, with the high hopes and anticipation of a blind buy, the shock of disppaointment is more pronounced, and rejection can be too extreme. I've learnt now that a good perfume is worth studying over days, weeks, and that moods and other situational aspects can be powerful factors leading to highly divergent views of the same scent. Just yesterday I actually enjoyed smelling Fumerie Turque for the first time, though it's certainly never going to be a signature scent for me. A perfume requires patience. So to answer your question: for me it is more the other way around. Spontaneous dislike (or "meh") turns into appreciation with time. Not always, of course (check my swap list ).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.