Code of Conduct

Default Men, Confess!! Ever Worn L'Heure Bleue??

OK, I love Guerlain's L'Heure Bleu, but frankly, I think it smells better, darker, and frankly, quite gothic, on men. Anyone out there ever tried it, or am I delusional??

Default Re: Men, Confess!! Ever Worn L'Heure Bleue??

Yeah, baby! I'm all over L'Heure Bleue when it's all over me.

You're right though, it is a very special aura that it gives--dark and gothic is right. I've thought of it a few times as a much richer and darker Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme, but that isn't quite right exactly either. It works really well though, and commands an olfactory sense of the ancient in a green country. I wear the edp too. Such good stuff.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Talking Re: Men, Confess!! Ever Worn L'Heure Bleue??

Hurrah!

Yes, yes YES! At last! If you are delusional, I am too!

I have the Parfum (argh that bottle, it's ART!) and EdT versions, and it is just PURE HEAVEN on me! Dark and gothic are good words! Sad and dark, alright.

It's so weird, in the beginning I thought it too be VERY old-fashioned feminine, but now I am addicted to it as a unique, timeless man-smell. I can even smell it when I don't wear it, just thinking about it. I have never, ever smelled a think like that.

But mind you: Vol de Nuit is equally out-of-this-world, just less dark and gothic...

Do a lot of women wear it ?

There was a recent thread which discussed how Shalimar is instantly recognizable to women hence diminishing its appeal to men who would want to wear it ..
    -

My impression here in Denmark is that very few women wear the classic Guerlains. I know it's different in France and USA. I wear Shalimar, and in my view it's just a more vanillé edition of Habit Rouge. For l'Heure Bleue, it's even more rare on women. Some people would recognise it as a scent quite fleuri in the top notes, but if you wait 1 hour (that is, with the Parfum, not the EdT which is much less fleuri), no one would think of it as a women's scent IMO. The Parfum has a loooong, beautiful drydown. It's pure yummi!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post

There was a recent thread which discussed how Shalimar is instantly recognizable to women hence diminishing its appeal to men who would want to wear it ..
    I don't think L'Heure Bleue is anywhere near as well-known by scent as Shalimar. Shalimar is almost iconic, whereas I suspect only noses 'in the know' would recognize L'Heure Bleue on another person by smell.

That said... I was slightly surprised, but quite delighted to smell Shalimar on a man on the subway not too long ago. It wasn't the EdC either (smokier, less warm to my nose), I suspect it was the EdP.

I think I would enjoy L'Heure Bleue on a man. I need a man to put perfume on and sniff. Forget the rest of it. I just want to smell him.

Yes, I have worn L'Heure Bleue on the famous Guerlain week we held earlier this year. To my nose, it's a rather soapy, slightly powdery scent with an edge to it. It really has a special vibe going on, it whispers a soft tale of an elegant garden filled with flowers closing their leafs as the sun goes down.

I'm not 100% sure how well it works on men, having only given it one wearing, but I can certainly see some pulling it off.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Off-Scenter

I can't say that I have, but I do wear Carnal Flower and Habanita. Maybe I'll have to try L'Heure Bleue next. That is, after I try Mitsouko.

Yes, of course. Fabulous scent for colder days.
    But I have to admit, I don't wear it to the office - too opulent, too potent. But I love to wear it at home.

I'm curious about the EDT version as that's the only one to be found here - anyone care to elaborate? Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Yes, more than once.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

The EdT version is quite different from the Parfum version. To say it short: I find that the Parfum version gives you the true, sharp, longstanding floral quality of this semi-oriental, whereas the EdT is much more oriental, that is more vanillé/poudré, from the outset. I like to layer the two to get the soft vanilla from the outset and then feel the long floral drydown into the deep guerlinade-bassin in the Parfum long after the EdT has died away.

Even shorter: if you want to experience the whole path of l'Heure Bleue in ˝ an hour, take the EdT. If you want the long story (takes at least half a day to explore), take the Parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post

I have been sampling Shalimar quite a bit lately when i am at the mall. I really like it and would have no problem wearing other than the fact it is so recognizable. But will that absolutely stop me? No. I'll probably get a bottle of it soon.
    Awesomeguy