Code of Conduct

Unhappy Hugh Parsons Traditional (Blue)

I recently acquired this fragrance blind via a non-retail source (I know, I know...). The reviews that I have read have universally recommended this fragrance based upon its "clean" and "unobtrusive" nature, a "perfect" blend of "fresh" and "amber, musk" notes. I have also read elsewhere that this fragrance contains pervading notes of blackberry and pepper.

I'm getting raisins.

Now, if I took blackberries and doused them with pepper, it would probably yield the raisin-y note I've detected. I'd like to know if any other owners of this fragrance would characterize (especially) the topnotes as reminiscent of raisins. The raisin-y topnotes in my juice eventually fade into the promised "clean" and amber/musk drydown.

I guess what I'm really saying is have I purchased a spoiled version of what I understand to be a great British scent, or are the topnotes (inexpertly) described above truly part of the fragrance. Everything about the transaction and bottle is convincingly authentic.

Let me know your thoughts, fellow HP(B)-owning BN'ers. My confidence (and/or negative ebay feedback ;-) ) depends upon your input.

(I will add that my local shops do not currently have a tester/sample of this fragrance.

Thanks in advance,

c.1905

Default Re: Hugh Parsons Traditional (Blue)

I regret to inform you that a Ebay purchase of Hugh Parsons was rancid...and it smelled like raisins...

I bought the retail at Nordstrom's after that. Its light, fuzzy, yummy.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I bought the retail at Nordstrom's after that. Its light, fuzzy, yummy.

TNMA
    Light, fuzzy, clean...indeed. I've never experienced the top notes you describe.

Best regards,

Mike

Sounds like you're right.

Rancid and...in the trash. Lesson learned.

NOW LET THAT BE A LESSON TO YOU OTHER NEWBIES!!! lol

As one who was once neutral to Blue, and went positive, I can confidently say I smell no raisins; in fact very little fruit at all, except the citrus, of course, and not very much of that either.

BUT LET ME ASK YOU A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION: DOES THIS FRAGRANCE DEVELOP A WONDERFUL DRYDOWN? WHAT MAKES THIS IS THE DRYDOWN. IF YOU DON'T EXPERIENCE A VERY INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT IN THE DRY DOWN, THEN YOU KNOW YOU ARE MISSING THE REAL THING.

Joe

Thanks for the advice...but, no. The drydown consists of the fading of the raisin to the less-raisin-y "clean laundry" drydown.

I'm convinced that what I have is spoiled.

edit: Contacted the seller and he was glad to take it back for a refund. Lesson learned, and now off to Nordstrom to by a fresh bottle.
    Last edited by Circa1905; 8th June 2007 at 11:29 PM.