Code of Conduct

Default Frags similar to Eau de Hermes?

First of all, a warm welcome to Mauricio, a new BN member from Ecuador. He read my review of EdH and wrote asking about similar fragrances. I did my best with the question but knew that many of you would have offered other perspectives and broader experience. Here's my first whack at it:

It's a hard one, aside from my limited knowledge even, since Eau de Hermes is a favorite of mine and seems quite unique possibly in part for that reason. Here's a first shot at an answer, however. It is an unusual combination of cool citrus notes and warm spice and understated woods notes, esp cumin. The spice/woods elements in Guerlain's Heritage remind me a bit of EdH, or say that drydown of Creed's Bois du Portugal. Both of them are much shorter on citrus and heavier on mossy and patchouli notes, though. On the other hand Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud is missing the warm notes--its basenotes are herbal instead. The one fragrance that I might suggest is another Guerlain, the old (1889?) and quite wonderful Jicky. Jicky has citrus grounded in much milder spice than EdH. It is also more floral and more animalic--a civet note that puts some people off. And it has sandalwood that becomes more prominent with drydown. Lovely stuff.

Mauricio will have to clarify further which frags are available there. Sadly Jicky is not at present. What do ya'all think?
    --------------------------------------
    Bump!
    Anybody willing to give this a shot?
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 8th June 2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Re: Frags similar to Eau de Hermes?

Fendi Uomo also has a strong cumin note.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

I really don't see the connection between Jicky and Eau d'Hermès. EdH is singular, but Francois makes a very good suggestion with Fendu Uomo.

Halston 1-12 has reminded me of EdH sometimes, but it doesn't have the cumin note or other parts of EdH. Similar mood and atmosphere, though. For me anyway.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Off-Scenter

Not that it smells all that much like Eau d'Hermes, but of similar quality, with leather and cumin, is Idole de Lubin. Idole adds a good dose of smoke and booze (rum) to the mix, however.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 8th June 2007 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I really don't see the connection between Jicky and Eau d'Hermès.
    For me, the connection between Jicky & Eau d'Hermes is in the lavender. It is a heck of a lot more pronounced in Jicky, at least the EDT. I make no comment regarding Jicky EDP, having never tried it.

I totally agree with you that Eau d'Hermes is singular. It straddles the line between clean & dirty more than any other frag I know (Paco Rabanne does it but leans more heavily on the clean side IMHO). Citric, floral, spicy, herbal, leathery.
    Last edited by MisterK; 8th June 2007 at 06:01 PM.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I think Cartier Declaration is likely a direct homage to Eau d'Hermes. I love both scents and probably wear them equally often.

I always though Habit Rouge was a little similar as well, with the citrus/leather combo. I much prefer the Hermes though.

Contradiction for Men

I've sampled Montale's Greyland, and it has more than a passing resemblance to Eau d'Hermes, probably because both have a healthy dose of cumin.

Kingdom has a lot of cumin too. Also theres L'Autre by Diptyque.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I agree totally with the previous posters re: L'Autre, Fendi Uomo, and Declaration. That said, I think EdH is the best of that group.

(Man, I'm so glad I'm not the only one here who digs Eau d'Hermes! I love it, but my GF, friends, coworkers, etc. *hate* it!)
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Thumbs up Re: Frags similar to Eau de Hermes?

My favorite review of EdH is by Cedarmouth: "Grace Kelly's handbag stuffed with Robert Mitchum's jockstrap." 25 April 2007.
    I would check out all of Edmond Roudnitska's creations. He has a love of cumin and civet. He's the master of the dirty, citrus school.
    You might start with Moustache by Rochas.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th June 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: capriciousness!

Cartier Essence de Declaration.I have Terre and this one;no doubt this is family;made by the same perfumer.But for me Terre is the winner.
    --------------------------------------
    Stupid mistake; your question is not about Hermes Terre, sorry.....'was sleeping half I guess...
    Last edited by sniff; 9th June 2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I would check out all of Edmond Roudnitska's creations. He has a love of cumin and civet. He's the master of the dirty, citrus school.
    You might start with Moustache by Rochas.
    There's no cumin in Moustache, I'm afraid.
    I bought it for a friend a few weeks ago and sampled it.
    It was a let-down for me. Not bad, but nothing groundbreaking as, for instance, Jacomo's Eau cendrée.
    Ce message provient du Québec!