Code of Conduct

Exclamation Isn't Geir overrated?

I got a bottle of Geir recently after having read lots of praises about this.
    Honestly speaking its been a huge disappointment.

I knew it smells very similar to Chanel Allure pour homme and the reason why i bought this was coz of its edp strength. I wanted a long lasting summer frag and i expected to smell this one even at the end of the day.

Shockingly Geir disappears within 2 hours of application. I have tried wearing it a few times thinking that my assessment could possibly be wrong but each time it has become clearer that this may be sold as 'edp' but is longevity equals that of a 'edc'.

I know longevity would vary depending on one's skin but this one is just too fleeting. I dont remember reading in any 'Geir' thread any complaints about its longevity.

All i read were raving reviews and that it was a huge compliment fetcher. Someone will only compliment you if he/she can smell your fragrance and thats only possible if it has fairly decent sillage.
    Not for me though.

Anyone else also has had similar experience with Geir?

I really wanted to like this one and may get another bottle from a different source just in case this bottle has turned or something.
    The top notes are quite fresh and lemony. The sprayer produces great mist.

It surely doesn't look like a fake to me. The only thing that does catch my attention is the poor embossing of GEIR on the bottle.

Can members here corroborate if the printing on the bottle does look like ink from a fountain pen that would kind of spread outside when it comes in contact with a tissue paper. I mean its just not as CLEAR as its on a CHANEL bottle. I don't think GEIR is duplicated. Is it?

Any information on this would be appreciated.
    I will try to attach a picture of it here soon.

gupts

Default Re: Isn't Geir overrated?

gupts,

I find Geir way way way overrated.

I, too, got a bottle blind after all the acclaims here and was bitterly disappointed. After the fresh top notes faded, all I got was the sickening sweet florals for some 5 hours.

To tell you the truth, I could not wear it in summer. Back home (Dunedin, NZ) our summer gets to 20-22 degrees for around 2 hours a day in late February. For the rest of it, 16-19 degrees is pretty much all we get for maximum daily temperature. Just how people wear Geir in warmer summer is simply beyond me.

Unfortunately I can't help you on the bottle issues you are having. I finished mine long time ago.

I have authentic Geir and do not share your opinion. The longevity on me is stellar. 3 sprays in the morning and I am still enjoying its velvety vanillia base in the evening. I can detect it on a shirt a week later.

The embossing on my bottle is clear as any Chanel bottle. I don't know whether there is an active forgery market for Geir, but all indications I've received from the fragrance lead me to believe that yours may not be the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    I have authentic Geir and do not share your opinion. The longevity on me is stellar. 3 sprays in the morning and I am still enjoying its velvety vanillia base in the evening. I can detect it on a shirt a week later.

The embossing on my bottle is clear as any Chanel bottle. I don't know whether there is an active forgery market for Geir, but all indications I've received from the fragrance lead me to believe that yours may not be the real thing.
    do you spray pulse points or your clothing?

I really like the stuff. Two shots to the chest, two shots to the neck, put on my shirt, and all day long I'm feeling the Power of Norway! Now, I can't ask much more than that from any fragrance.

Very

If it was not for the novelty of Norway, I think nobody would pay much attention to it.

I personally find the combination of fresh and sweet vanilla notes annoying but there are a lot of people out there who like it. But in the end does the term "Over rated" or "Under Rated" really matter? What is important is if you like it and how popular a fragrance is should really not matter.
    Last edited by oolong; 9th June 2007 at 02:59 PM.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

There is something I want to say when I wear Geir, and it is "Oh, this one is a beaut! Only 145,000 miles on it, and she still purrs like a tiger!" (Slaps the hood, and one of the wheels falls off) "Oh, and she's a steal at this price!" (Flashy smile).

For those of you who don't understand, I get a used car salesman vibe from it.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I don't like Geir, either. Tried it once at Nordstrom... and hated it.

On me, Geir has the same big floral note (jasmine?) as Thierry Mugler's Alien (for women), but with a ton of extra sugar and syrup thrown in... which IMO, makes Geir even more feminine than Alien. I don't get the "crisp mountain air" or the "energy" that the marketing stuff talks about... I get Eau de IHOP. (For you non-US Basenoters, IHOP is a big family restaurant chain famous for its pancakes and breakfasts.)

But, people must like smelling like a Rooty Tooty Fresh n' Fruity, or Geir wouldn't be on the market.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Thrax

Not as overrated as half of Creed's creations.

I won't say it's overrated, since everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I do find it to be exceedingly conventional, annoyingly synthetic-floral, and conforming to the same weird notion of "freshness" and "naturalness" as Gendarme, i.e. imitating bad imitations of "nature" such as fabric softener, rather than nature itself.

And as far as I recall, the "power of Norway" lies in its oil reserves.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I won't say it's overrated, since everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I do find it to be exceedingly conventional, annoyingly synthetic-floral, and conforming to the same weird notion of "freshness" and "naturalness" as Gendarme, i.e. imitating bad imitations of "nature" such as fabric softener, rather than nature itself.

And as far as I recall, the "power of Norway" lies in its oil reserves.
    Very well said.

Wink Re: Isn't Geir overrated?

imitating bad imitations of "nature" such as fabric softener, rather than nature itself.
    It almost sounds like you're describing Commes des Garçons' creations. To paraphrase Luca Turin, there is nothing worse than too much good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    Not as overrated as half of Creed's creations.
    Like?
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by matreal View Post
    do you spray pulse points or your clothing?
    A spray to each side of my neck and one on my sternum.

heeheehee, he said sternum /\ jkjk

Anyway, i do agree that although I liked Geir, it doesn't deserve the godly praise that it receives. However, I do have to disagree with you in the longevity issue. It lasts and lasts on me personally with just 2-3 sprays. I like it, just not THAT much.

I agree with Thrax, Creeds are overrated a lot of the time too.

I think ratings are based on personal interpretation. I have to disagree personally with longevity. Geir lasts a long time on me...like all day kinda long. I also think its just sweet enough (or little) for summer wear.

Do I think its the best ever? Nah. But I don't think its overrated.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Whether you think Geir is overrated or not, it's still a pretty good non-citrus frag for warmer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    It almost sounds like you're describing Commes des Garçons' creations. To paraphrase Luca Turin, there is nothing worse than too much good taste.
    No way, I greatly admire CdG - it's all in the attitude, you see and their approach when imitating imitations is deliberate and clever. And for the record, "Bad Taste" is one of my fave movies, as much as anything by Godard .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I've always liked Geir for the fact that I consider it an oriental version of Gendarme, which I also enjoy. Longevity has never been a problem for me. I've never fallen for the "Power of Norway" hype so my admiration of the scent has nothing to do with its marketing.

I've also noticed that Geir tends to go "off" very easily, so I wouldn't be surprised if many people who complain about it own bottles that aren't fresh. Good bottles smell fresh and light, while bad bottles smell heavy, sugary, and syrupy with a bitter vetiver drydown IMO.
    Last edited by teflondog; 9th June 2007 at 08:05 PM.

geir hasn't made as impression to me. I prefer chanels (Allure , Allure sport) instead of it
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Its not a bad fragrance, but it was massively (over)hyped when it was first discussed on Basenotes. My review was probably the first which gave it a "neutral" rating, and after that the fragrance has been slammed many a times. At times it smells like a glorified Gendarme. Oh, and 90% of the Creed line blows the doors off the "power of norway".
    -

I really thought I liked Geir !?! What was I thinking? Now I find out that the "Power of Norway" is really BIG OIL. And that enjoyable Geir smell is actually Eau de IHOP - a term I usually associate with A*Men.

I bought this because the first 18 people who reviewed gave it a . In fact, 27 out of 39 people gave it a . How could we have been so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by TricsMan View Post
    I really thought I liked Geir !?! What was I thinking? Now I find out that the "Power of Norway" is really BIG OIL. And that enjoyable Geir smell is actually Eau de IHOP - a term I usually associate with A*Men.

I bought this because the first 18 people who reviewed gave it a . In fact, 27 out of 39 people gave it a . How could we have been so wrong?
    Sarcasm? Tongue-in-cheek on BN Forums? Well... I Never!!

I like Geir too, but will admit my experience in these matters is limited. I do know that getting samples of what you think you might like before committing to a full bottle is not only prudent, but inexpensive as long as you are patient.

I thought, for example, that I would really like the mandarin/gunsmoke/flint of TdH but when I got the sample all I got was hours of burning plastic (think "Ken set Barbie on fire" ). Geir wasn't even on my radar until recently and the sample I got smelled fantastic as I got the fresh/winter/green vibe rather than the sugar/floral/molasses.

I'm sure my tastes will change over time as I hone in on what scents are best for me. I just don't want to forget that everyone's skin and nose are different and what works for you may not work for me (and vice versa).

If I've learned anything from BN, it's "Try it out yourself".

No way, I greatly admire CdG - it's all in the attitude, you see and their approach when imitating imitations is deliberate and clever. And for the record, "Bad Taste" is one of my fave movies, as much as anything by Godard .
    Sorry, I meant my statement to be read as ironic. I agree with you, the CdG's are 'inspired de-construction'. Geir is the poster child for too much good taste.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    Like?
    - Rich
    Royal English Leather
    Erolfa
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya
    Silver Mountain Water

There are more, but do I need to say more? I mean all of these are good, but are they worth thier cost, or half of the attention that they recieve?

I like it quite a bit, so I guess its not overrated!

Lasts all day and got me a compliment at the mall earlier today.

Sure it may be a little conventional. Not everything has to be cutting edge to be good.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

For me, fragrances are like movies - I try to go into the experience with as little information as possible. Too much information tends to cloud my judgment. Geir does not match the hype (unless Norwegian mountain air smells very, very different from the air that I'm used to), but I feel that in this case some amount of hype is warranted - it is an extremely long-lasting (on me at least) sweet floral and garners compliments by the dozen. If you do in fact have a geniune bottle, give it a try in the cold weather (which is almost exclusively when I wear it) and see if your opinion changes. The sweetness of the fragrance does not lend itself well to very warm temperatures IMO.

The fact that your bottle gives a good spray is actually a little bit discouraging since the genuine article's sprayer is notoriously bad. If you'd like a sample to compare, I'd be more than willing to send one. Then again, maybe it just reacts differently with your skin than others.

Royal English Leather
    Erolfa
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya
    Silver Mountain Water

There are more, but do I need to say more? I mean all of these are good, but are they worth thier cost, or half of the attention that they recieve?
    If numerous people did not think so, they would not be one the market or talked about - which is why the concept "overrated," as previously discussed, is rather problematic in the first place. I don't even like Erolfa personally, but it's the best around in its category of maritime acquatic frags from what I can tell. Same goes for MI. REL, which I do adore, is the best sweet leather. Period. I also see GIT miles above comparable compositions. If you hate the house note you're obviously going to have problems with many Creeds, but IMHO they have consistently produced benchmark scents.
    My Wardrobe

It may depend on the temperature, on one's mood, on the stars, but for me there are times when I find it glorious, and times when I want it wash off within ten minutes, beacuse it's just like -and nothing more than- Chanel Allure. Perhaps the biggest factor is the way of application, as some people mentioned it in the reviews.
    I do understand that there is at least one person on earth who thinks it is tear of an angel.
    Is he overrating Geir? No, he just has found some beauty in his life. I wouldn't blame him for it.

Arrow Re: Isn't Geir overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Domer04 View Post

The fact that your bottle gives a good spray is actually a little bit discouraging since the genuine article's sprayer is notoriously bad. If you'd like a sample to compare, I'd be more than willing to send one. Then again, maybe it just reacts differently with your skin than others.
    The sprayer infact produces unbelievably fine mist that spreads outwards at an angle of say 150degrees. The mist is really really fine and its the quality of the spray mechanism and the mist that was really making me feel that this is indeed the real thing. Now i am even more confused.

Unfortunately my 7.2megapixel camera is not good enough to reveal the embossing quality on the front of the bottle.
    So i guess i have to look at other ways to confirm the authenticity of my bottle.

The base of the bottle has a transparent sticker that has things written in white ink.

It says

Geir
    the power of Norway
    3.4 fl. oz. 100ml e
    Dist. by Laila Inc.
    L.A. C.A. 90048
    Created in Norway

There is also a no. printed in Black Ink thats possibly been printed from an inkjet printer.
    The no. is 49397

Strangely this no. is nowhere to be seen on the box.

I thought it was important for it to be somewhere on the box as well coz that is how you actually know that the bottle has come in its original box.

Can members here confirm if their Geir bottles have the same thing written at the base and if their Geir boxes also dont show the no. printed on the bottle nowhere.

Thanks for all the responses. I really want to get to the truth.

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 10th June 2007 at 07:37 AM.

- which is why the concept "overrated," as previously discussed, is rather problematic in the first place.
    I've been one of those that has consistently complained about this term.

To me, it subtly says that those that like a fragrance that another says is overrated, is like saying that the person that likes the overrated fragrance is falling for the hype. It also says, again subtly, that their taste is better than the person that likes the overrated fragrance.

There are many fragrances that are extremely well liked here that I don't appreciate, but I don't feel they're overrated (Rive Gauche for example). But that doesn't make it overrated, only that I don't like it.

End of late night rant!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Can members here confirm if their Geir bottles have the same thing written at the base and if their Geir boxes also dont show the no. printed on the bottle nowhere.
    My bottle has the same transparent sticker with white lettering. It also has numbers on the bottom...43277 with additional black numbers beneath...051 025 09. The box has no corresponding numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caoleus View Post
    My bottle has the same transparent sticker with white lettering. It also has numbers on the bottom...43277 with additional black numbers beneath...051 025 09. The box has no corresponding numbers.
    Thanks for taking the pain mate...

Strangely my bottle doesnt show any no. like 051 025 09....

It just shows 49397 in black ink

this is making me think something that i didnt want to think

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 10th June 2007 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caoleus View Post
    Just to complicate things even more, my bottle is not perfectly embossed but the transparent sticker has all the details mentioned above...

I like Geir a lot and find it very unique, However it gives me one of the worst headaches that I've ever experienced. As did Antaeus.

I'm fairly sure your bottle is authentic, but just for the sake of the investigation, my bottle has a transparent sticker on the bottom that says:
    1. in white letters - Geir, The Power of Norway, 1.7 fl oz. 50 ml, Dist by Laila, LA CA 90048, Created in Norway.
    2. in black ink over the white letters - 48495 then next line 061826 18

I'm fairly sure your bottle is authentic, but just for the sake of the investigation, my bottle has a transparent sticker on the bottom that says:
    1. in white letters - Geir, The Power of Norway, 1.7 fl oz. 50 ml, Dist by Laila, LA CA 90048, Created in Norway.
    2. in black ink over the white letters - 48495 then next line 061826 18
    I so badly want to believe it but my bottle's base doesnt have the 2nd line of any numbers. That makes it questionable.

Can you have a look CLOSELY at your GEIR and GEIR NESS (preferably against a light source) embossing in small letters on the front of the bottle and see if the embossing edges are smooth.

The embossing on my bottle is broken and is not smooth and fine. The letters are not rounded clearly and the edges are just not smooth. Its kind of smudgy.

gupts

My letters are crispy clear. No ragged edges.
    Last edited by TricsMan; 10th June 2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Thumbs down Re: Isn't Geir overrated?

A thought just struck me. People who post about the minutiae of their supposed fakes are like people who go on and on endlessly about their illnesses. Take it for what it's worth.

I've always thought that the whole idea of something being overrated as the basis of a thread is a pretty cheap, facile, and lousy idea. You know, easy to come up with, not much thought required, not much actually said in the final analysis. Much like a lot of threads that are started these days.

Which leads me to my next point: I have to say, the quality of posting lately has been generally pretty appalling, and I've needed a good excuse to stay away from Basenotes because the site is frustratingly slow these days; it sometimes takes up to five tries to get a page to load. They always seem to time out.

I think this thread is what has finally convinced me that an enforced, long absence is an excellent idea. Thanks.

scentemental

P.S. I am under no illusion that I'll be missed.

Last edited by scentemental; 10th June 2007 at 03:28 PM.

Royal English Leather
    Erolfa
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya
    Silver Mountain Water

I really have to agree with Thrax. The Creed fragrances I've tested, it has been about 10 which I'll be the first to admit is far from exhaustive, have all been nice quality products but I've always been able to find a fragrance which met the same need in my wardrobe for at half to a quarter of the cost and which I actually liked more then the Creed.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    A thought just struck me. People who post about the minutiae of their supposed fakes are like people who go on and on endlessly about their illnesses. Take it for what it's worth.

I've always thought that the whole idea of something being overrated as the basis of a thread is a pretty cheap, facile, and lousy idea. You know, easy to come up with, not much thought required, not much actually said in the final analysis. Much like a lot of threads that are started theses days.

Which leads me to my next point: I have to say the quality of posting lately has been generally pretty appalling, and I've needed a good excuse to stay away from Basenotes because the site is frustratingly slow these days; it sometimes takes up to five tries to get a page to load. They always seem to time out.

I think this thread is what has finally convinced me that an enforced, long absence is an excellent idea. Thanks.

scentemental

P.S. I am under no illusion that I'll be missed.

Maybe the title of the thread should have been 'Geir didn't work for me' and then perhaps it would have attracted much less criticism.
    Honestly speaking i didnt really think think before putting the word 'over rated' in the title. I just don't see the point of it inviting such incisive remarks.
    To my mind its just another way of putting the thought- Is Geir really as good as it is proclaimed to be?

As for the quality of posting, if it is really a cause of concern for some senior members, we should perhaps consider having two levels of board
    - one reserved for posters who know it all and who could be called 'fragrance veterans'
    - the other level ofcourse for people like me (whose posts are considered 'appalling' by some of these highly experienced members

As for the issue of the bottle being a 'fake' it was a PART of the thread which ultimately gained attention because it could well be the reason that my experience with 'Geir' was significantly different to that of others.

I bought this bottle from a seasoned basenoter here. I don't want to accuse someone who has been a basenoter for a long time without being convinced myself. If this bottle was bought from ebay it would have gone back to the seller long ago but the fact that i still want to believe that a veteran basenoter wouldn't sell a fake here should not invite such condemnation.

Scentemental, i considered you (and still do) as one of the most respected and knowledgeable members here but this blatant last post from you IMHO was really uncalled for. If getting on to the basenotes page is really causing problems for some members they should address the issue differently and not by opining that new members are posting 'appalling' threads and slowing down the forum.

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 10th June 2007 at 03:43 PM.

We've seen the scent appreciation cycles tiem and time again...

A) scent comes out..blows people away..
    B) scent develops a great reputation, people revel in it's greatness
    C) people start to critique the scent vs. it's attention
    D) backlash against the fragrance...
    E) after flying under the radar for awhile, the scent's positive reputation develops once again..

We've seen this consistently with scents like Gendarme, Geir, Creed MI - GIT, Dior Homme, M7 and M7 Fresh, Rive Gauche.. among many others... it's cyclical.

as others have said much more articulately than myself... where what you want, try a fragrance for yourself.. make your own judgments..

I for one.. love Geir..I always have, and likely always will.. <shrug>

In terms of Scentemental's recent post.. I, for one..will miss the expertise but will surely not miss the pompous attitude... I will receive a bunch of flack for my comments regarding this untouchable basenoter.. but from my own experience with his "foul-mouthed" threats in regards to my swap/sales etiquette to consistent demeaning comments made to the new breed of basenoter.. I could do without!

If unhappy with the brand of threads, create some insightful and intriguing ones.... if you have this isnight and expertise, why not use it to your advantage....

In terms of the speed... I can't think of another online site where my $5 gets as much value.. I don't mind the occasional waiting..

This is a great site, the forums hit lulls... discussion forums are cyclical as well...

a.

Royal English Leather
    Erolfa
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya
    Silver Mountain Water

These ones are: MI, GIT, and SMW. I personally don't like MI, but oh well, I still recognize it as a fabulous scent, and worthy of most of the comments. I didn't realize that REL got much airplay around here, but I guess I may not have been paying attention.
    I don't get the hype around Erolfa.
    Himalaya is just WAY too mainstream to be in the Creed line. WTF?
    It's all got to be in perspective. If someone started a thread saying AdG is overrated, you'd raise an eyebrow, because it's not popular here on Basenotes at all, but in the real world, it's WAY overused and most people go gaga over it. Put it in perspective. Compared to the most common colognes, is SMW, MI, or GIT overrated? No, it's niche, and nobody but the wealthy and the obsessed know anything about them.
    Geir is technically niche, and so it really can't be overrated. If a lot of people like a scent, and post about it on Basenotes and a few people don't like it, that doesn't make it overrated, that means a few people don't like it. It's too uncommon to be overrated. So, I change my mind. It's not overrated, I just don't like it. It smells like crap to me.
    - Rich

PS - I would be sorry to see you go Scentemental, if perhaps you didn't want to leave so much. So, since that's what you want, good luck on your next endeavor.
    Last edited by _R$_; 10th June 2007 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

I have to say, the quality of posting lately has been generally pretty appalling.
    It must be the slow season.

Royal English Leather
    Erolfa
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya
    Silver Mountain Water

I think I seriously disagree with you on this one, but that's ok. However, overpriced is much different from overrated.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Yeah seriously, I remember when Geir was the cat's meow here on these boards. Hated it then, hate it now. Grass + honey + flowers + a rotting compost heap. MMMMMM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."