Code of Conduct

Default Is there any single perfect fragance ? Our search for our sole fragance .

We keep sampling, swapping, buying and we do not find ( it seems to me ) the perfect fragance .
    In my opinion we should make a final choice . one for a daily wear, night, summer and winter.
    BUT it does not work this way.
    We continue our journey and do not find it at all.
    Are we addicted in purchasing and sampling..?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is there any single perfect fragance ? Our search for our sole fragance .

Yes addiciton you could say but I think of it more as a fun hobby no different that collecting/admiring nice fountain pens (I used to be into the maki-e pens, the old Parkers, Conway Stewarts, etc), wine, etc.

If you care enough about fragrances, you want to keep sampling. if You like wine, for example, you wouldn't just drink the same one that you liked for the rest of your life would you? It's fun to try new stuff and experience new scents.
    What I've learned though is to sample in stores and buy decants, so that this hobby is affordable and doesn't break the bank (going back to the wine analogy - you dont buy every bottle of wine you go to tastings and sample so you dont go bankrupt).

Default Re: Is there any single perfect fragance ? Our search for our sole fragance .

No .

I've found many, many frags I enjoy but I can't wear them more than once a week at most. I have no problem with this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

NO !

Do you drink the same beer, same wine or eat the same food day in day out ?
    If you could afford it, would you drive the same car day in day out ?
    Do you wear the same color cloths day in day out, same pair of pants, same shirt, same shoes ?

NO !
    NO !
    NO !

So why people keep asking about a signature fragrance and your most worn fragrances over and over again is a mystery to me ?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all about the quest for the holy grail scent! (that doesn't exist)

Post Thanks / Like

L'ombre Dans L'eau has been my first and last love. versatile whole year round, sexy and refined.. mmmm! finally got a bottle today!

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    No .
    In a nutshell.

Post Thanks / Like

If you change the word 'perfect' for 'most versatile' I would instantly go for Terre de Hermes. I keep it close by. It is extremely good for any circumstances at any time of year. In any specific circumstances, I can probably think of something I would prefer though. Perfect? No, none. As it should be.

I understand the l'ombre dans l'eau comment though. A belter of a fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

well I personally have already found my holy grail (Dior Homme Intense), but still it's a fun trying out different fragrances and it's nice having several different ones (offers versatility and frankly it'd be kinda repetitive just wearing the holy grail every day, for every occasion, etc.).
    What's funny with me is that Dior Homme Intense was one of the first things I tried and bought, and still nothing has ever surpassed it for me, yet I have continued on buying and having more and more (though I am done at this point, at least for now).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are about four or five SUITABLE fragrances. No such thing as the PERFECT scent. Variety is the spice of life.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Post Thanks / Like

No. I read that Jean-Claude Elena deliberately puts some small off detail in his formulae so his perfumes will not be perfect and thus boring.

Post Thanks / Like

You define the range of perfumes you want whether a single perfect one or 734 full bottles, that are essentially a perfect wardrobe.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope.

We are merely trying to amass a variety of scents to indulge our desires in the continuum of life.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

When I started this 'hobby', I was looking for the perfect fragrance; one that would wow me so much that I would rely solely upon it indefinitely. I then realised that it was more satisfying to have a variety of different fragrances, an arsenal for any occasion and have been more satisfied with this approach than if I were simply using one. After all, a collection/hobby is about variety and a good collection/hobby always leaves something more to strive for and attain.

I have around 130 bottles, but know that there are members here with literally thousands; what do we have in common? The fact that we will all continue to amass more bottles, not through necessity, but because we enjoy collecting, using and discussing our finds and purchases.

A single fragrance? That might be a tad boring. Some fragrances exist for the purposes of comfort and convenience: to cool one when one is hot, or to complete the process of bathing. Others suit a mood of languor, or a mood of ambition. Some ideally facilitate an impression that one might wish to make. Others may complement the reading of particular novels, immersion in certain worlds. I recently went on the search for something to complement reading a novel of Balzac's, and learned some things in so-doing.

However, I admit that I do aim to find a suitable group of fragrances, that meet every purpose. I currently use three solely for facilitating washing, each for a different purpose (one for my hair, another for my face, a third for my body). I could not easily narrow this down to a single composition at all - it would fall short. I use another because I enjoy it, and for sentimental reasons: the first perfume I ever knew. Another because it was my first insight into the heights that perfumery could reach, and thus is the receipt of realisation. Another because it is perfectly Spring-like, another because it is refined and perfect for the Opera. Another because it has a beautiful civet note, and it is indispensable that I should have civet in my revolution. And so on. Most people here have no wish to curtail themselves, however, but to indulge a continuum. It is good that it is so.
    Last edited by Merely; 27th May 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    No. I read that Jean-Claude Elena deliberately puts some small off detail in his formulae so his perfumes will not be perfect and thus boring.
    Yes, he does it perfectly

On a serious note, the mind is not wired to be blown 24 hours a day. So the idea of a perfect fragrance that just keeps you on cloud nine is futile. However, whether you want to wear a signature scent is a different matter - but in that case you just have to be able to say "out of 200 samples, this is the best. it's good enough for my needs, this is what i will wear on a daily basis".

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, he does it perfectly

On a serious note, the mind is not wired to be blown 24 hours a day. So the idea of a perfect fragrance that just keeps you on cloud nine is futile. However, whether you want to wear a signature scent is a different matter - but in that case you just have to be able to say "out of 200 samples, this is the best. it's good enough for my needs, this is what i will wear on a daily basis".

I wouldn't want the one perfect perfume , I don't have just one perfect tee shirt or one perfect pair of shoes so I'm quite happy with a selection of whiffs

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is a such thing as a "perfect" fragrance; however, I do think there are particular fragrances that do reflect a person's personality.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, we keep trying, collecting, and learning. I think that's the way it should be anyway, otherwise we'd lose interest in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

There are too many beautiful fragrances out there to stop at merely one, in fact, so many fragrances, so little time...

Post Thanks / Like

Exploration is a huge part of the fascination. Thankfully there are samples and trades that cover this without the need to go full bottle most times. I try to let my wardrobe not grow out of proportions and do like the idea of having all the genres I like covered with "only" one or two (no rule without exceptions) bottles of my personal favourites (which change from time to time). That's still way, way more then what the average person thinks is reaonable but it works well for me.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 27th May 2012 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aldo milani View Post
    In my opinion we should make a final choice . one for a daily wear, night, summer and winter.
    Why?
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, WHY indeed ? It is fun to pursue the perfume path, money permitting.

Maybe Aldo looks at a fragrance like an identifier, and then he feels obligated to settle on something ...
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Yes, WHY indeed ? It is fun to pursue the perfume path, money permitting.

Maybe Aldo looks at a fragrance like an identifier, and then he feels obligated to settle on something ...
    Hmm. What interests me about fragrances is that even the most boring and conventional ones have something fleeting, evasive, and eccentric about them. There is nothing solid enough to perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

........even the most boring and conventional ones have something fleeting, evasive, and eccentric about them.
    To which I'd add "..... and even the most heavily discounted ones have something fleeting, evasive, and eccentric about them."

While I discount most of those scents made cheap to be sold cheap, there are few scents that I dislike.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 28th May 2012 at 02:05 AM.

The quest for the grail is, itself, the true treasure.