Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,284

    Default Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    I was shopping in South Miami today, and happened upon an Etro boutique in the mall I was at (Village of Merrick Mark)...wow! I must've walked past this store at least 20 times but today I realized it was an Etro store, so I stumbled in to smell the frags, since I've never sniffed any of the entire line.

    I went for Messe de Minuet and Lemon Sorbet. The MdM is quite Cdg-Incense-ish. Nice. Just not for summer, for now.

    The Lemon Sorbet was quite dazzling. Perhaps it was the bright South Florida sunny day, but this scent put a little spring in my step. Lemon (not of the Lemon Pledge variety...) and then a dirty (smoke?) note are overtaken quickly by I think only can be described as a sassafrass note. I didn't get the rosemary at all.

    Anyone else enjoying this little lemon/herb concoction? And if so, do you get that root-beery sassafrass note?

  2. #2

    Wink Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Hey Mike - Etro's fragrances are sublime. I have MdM as a EdT and as a candle - amazing. There's a sweaty note that puts it in another league than the CdG's. You are right about it not working for summer, I put mine in cold storage until the fall.
    I haven't tried Lemon Sorbet, but now I'll have to. I also have their Vetiver - my favorite vetiver. Sorry that I didn't get to Merrick Park when I was done their last week.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th June 2007 at 12:19 AM.

  3. #3
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,284

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    MdM as a candle...sounds great.

    Yeah the Lemon Sorbet definitely has gotten my attention - and now I have another reason to head down to the mall (as if I needed more, right?)

    Side note: Looking at the large selection of fragrances at the ETRO boutique (I think I counted 14), I was struck with a thought that Tom Ford might've been trying to recreate what Etro had as far as fragrance selections, for his boutique (although he'd probably never admit it). However, and correct if I'm wrong, Etro didn't release their scents ALL AT ONCE.

  4. #4

    Wink Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    I think of the Etro fragrances more in the vein of Diptyque or Santa Maria Novella. I believe that they released an initial 10 and then added to them one at a time. Etro is a family run company that produces luxurious, life-style products. Their is a genuine sense of tradition and sincerity in everything they do. See: www.etro.it/
    Tom Ford, on the other hand, represents the polar opposite: New money, gone wild.
    I'm heading over to Aedes to check out Lemon Sorbet this afternoon.

  5. #5

    Wink Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    I think of the Etro fragrances more in the vein of Diptyque or Santa Maria Novella. I believe that they released an initial 10 and then added to them one at a time. Etro is a family run company that produces luxurious, life-style products. There is a genuine sense of tradition and sincerity in everything they do. See: www.etro.it/
    Tom Ford, on the other hand, represents the polar opposite: New money, gone wild.
    I'm heading over to Aedes to check out Lemon Sorbet this afternoon.

  6. #6
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,284

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Tom Ford, on the other hand, represents the polar opposite: New money, gone wild.
    I'm heading over to Aedes to check out Lemon Sorbet this afternoon.
    New Mony Gone Wild - Madison Aenue Edition...sounds like one of those videos advertised on cable TV.

    DVD available now at www.newmoneywgonewild.com - for only the most hardcore action...LOL.

    Please repost your thoughts of LS Ruggles...post-Aedes.

  7. #7

    Unhappy Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Aedes didn't have any Lemon Sorbet.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    I have Lemon Sorbet, but I do not have a clue what a sassafrass smells like (because I don't know what it is).
    Renato

  9. #9
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,284

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Sassafrass is a root plant (neat, cause the leaves of each leaf are three-pronged and each leaf is a different shape...quite 'martian' looking if you ask me). In the South (in the country) you can see it growing like weeds in the fields and the plant can be pulled out of the ground, washed and boiled like a tea. Or sugar can be added and its sweet.

    Akin to 'root beer' with that edge to it like ginger, but not spicy as ginger. Just herbal and slightly pungent.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sassafrass is a root plant (neat, cause the leaves of each leaf are three-pronged and each leaf is a different shape...quite 'martian' looking if you ask me). In the South (in the country) you can see it growing like weeds in the fields and the plant can be pulled out of the ground, washed and boiled like a tea. Or sugar can be added and its sweet.

    Akin to 'root beer' with that edge to it like ginger, but not spicy as ginger. Just herbal and slightly pungent.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Renato

  11. #11
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,284

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    So - I finally got a bottle of Lemon Sorbet and I've been spraying it here-and-there for the past few days to get an idea as to what this fragrance is all about...

    Upon further applications, I noticed that ETRO markets this as a Cologne, but the longevity is stronger than other EDT's, which is nice.

    The lemon top notes are straight up lemon juice variety and remind me mostly of...lemons (duh) and Armani Pour Homme which I wore years ago. However, the APH is pretty linear and crisp starched shirt and Lemon Sorbet is much more herbal and dark.

    Two images came to mind: Black pepper (I don't think LS has black pepper in it, but somehow I am reminded of the black pepper note from Rose Poivree by TDC, that's pretty realistic and sneeze-inducing) and blackened lemon slices (if such a thing existed). You know...grilled lemon slices, wet and charred from a hot grill. In the drydown is where Lemon Sorbet shows more of it's herbal side - rosemary, but a dry rosemary note.

    Lemon (or for that matter citrus) definitely gets typecast as a fun, fruity and bright note in fragrances - but LS proves that a lemon scent can be quite dark. It's a prominent lemon scent that I would feel very comfortable recommending for evening wear.

    I'd love to hear other Basenoter's experiences with Lemon Sorbet.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th October 2007 at 08:56 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Interesting - I assumed from the name that this one would be light and sugary. Misleading, eh?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    I love Lemon Sorbet. Many citrus scents are a bit bland and lose their freshness in five minutes, but LS holds its crispness, probably thanks to the herbal notes. That rosemary note in it is just perfect.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Upon further applications, I noticed that ETRO markets this as a Cologne, but the longevity is stronger than other EDT's, which is nice.
    Same goes for Messe de Minuit, the most long-lasting EdC I've ever encountered! It outlasts even some EdPs...
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th October 2007 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

  14. #14

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    a recent favorite of mine. the herby tang is definitely unique and CLASSY

  15. #15

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    anyone tried musk by etro? Mikeperez, you maybe when you were there?

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,284

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    anyone tried musk by etro? Mikeperez, you maybe when you were there?
    Sorry, no I didn't. I'm not a huge fan of musk prominent scents...generally.

  17. #17
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So - I finally got a bottle of Lemon Sorbet and I've been spraying it here-and-there for the past few days to get an idea as to what this fragrance is all about...

    Upon further applications, I noticed that ETRO markets this as a Cologne, but the longevity is stronger than other EDT's, which is nice.

    The lemon top notes are straight up lemon juice variety and remind me mostly of...lemons (duh) and Armani Pour Homme which I wore years ago. However, the APH is pretty linear and crisp starched shirt and Lemon Sorbet is much more herbal and dark.

    Two images came to mind: Black pepper (I don't think LS has black pepper in it, but somehow I am reminded of the black pepper note from Rose Poivree by TDC, that's pretty realistic and sneeze-inducing) and blackened lemon slices (if such a thing existed). You know...grilled lemon slices, wet and charred from a hot grill. In the drydown is where Lemon Sorbet shows more of it's herbal side - rosemary, but a dry rosemary note.

    Lemon (or for that matter citrus) definitely gets typecast as a fun, fruity and bright note in fragrances - but LS proves that a lemon scent can be quite dark. It's a prominent lemon scent that I would feel very comfortable recommending for evening wear.

    I'd love to hear other Basenoter's experiences with Lemon Sorbet.
    I picked up a 100 ml. bottle of Etro Lemon Sorbet today at Marshalls for $19.99. I thought that was a good find/deal.

    The notes are: Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Petit Grain, Lavender, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Vetiver.

    I also get a "peppery" vibe from it. I was wearing Rose Poivree last night - So I definitely see Mike's association to it.

    I highly recommend it. I think it is a great cologne that has some excellent longevity to it - and can be worn during the day or evening.

  18. #18
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,284

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I picked up a 100 ml. bottle of Etro Lemon Sorbet today at Marshalls for $19.99. I thought that was a good find/deal.

    The notes are: Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Petit Grain, Lavender, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Vetiver.

    I also get a "peppery" vibe from it. I was wearing Rose Poivree last night - So I definitely see Mike's association to it.

    I highly recommend it. I think it is a great cologne that has some excellent longevity to it - and can be worn during the day or evening.
    Glad you're enjoying it. The dark 'peppery' note definitely smells smoky too. Almost ash like. Like something that has been exposed to burning, but not burnt itself.

    Now, if only Marshalls had $20 bottles of Messe de Minuet...

  19. #19
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,406
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    If you guys like Etro, there are other nice ones to check out: Gomma, Palais Jamais, Shaal Nur, and Royal Pavilion are all worth a sniff, in addition to the ones mikeperez23 mentions.
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  20. #20

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I picked up a 100 ml. bottle of Etro Lemon Sorbet today at Marshalls for $19.99. I thought that was a good find/deal.
    I was at the Marshalls in mid-town Miami and bought a bottle of Shaar Nul for $19.99. They also had Magot. Someone has dumped their Etro stock with them. Didn't Mike Perez post that Nordstrom stopped carrying the line last year? I'm going to be on the prowl for the next few months.

  21. #21
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    If you guys like Etro, there are other nice ones to check out: Gomma, Palais Jamais, Shaal Nur, and Royal Pavilion are all worth a sniff, in addition to the ones mikeperez23 mentions.
    Thanks Jaime. I haven't had the opportunity to sample many Etro fragrances, but will keep any eye out for the ones that you and Mike mentioned. If I can find them at Marshalls, even better!

    Take care,

    Joe

  22. #22

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    If you guys like Etro, there are other nice ones to check out: Gomma, Palais Jamais, Shaal Nur, and Royal Pavilion are all worth a sniff, in addition to the ones mikeperez23 mentions.
    I got off on Etro in 2005 while staying at a hotel in Venice. Their shampoo was Etro's Palais Jamais. There was something about that shampoo that really aroused my curiousity about that fragrance house. I later came over a women's designer apparel store in Oslo that had, - I couldn't believe my eyes - Etro scented candles in the store window! Niche fragrances are quite the rarity here in Oslo. So I went in and, sure enough, they had a few of Etro's fragrances - a kind-of side-kick to their apparel. As it was a women's store, I'm sure I raised some eyebrows when I asked if I could try some of their fragrances. I did get to try the Lemon Sorbet and Royal Pavilion. I have since acquired Etro's Palais Jamais & Heliotrope. Next time I go by there, I'm going to have to give Lemon Sorbet & Royal Pavilion more focused attention! (I have samples of Shaal Nur & Sandalo.) Will see if I can post some more focused impressions.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Hello Sentsual.

    I am gla to hear that you found the Etro fragrances in Oslo, how much did they cost there (in NOK is ok, as I have been to Oslo several times).

    If I am heading back to Norway any time soon I might have to ask where this stockist is! Cant get it in Scotland as far as my knowledge goes unfortunately. Would really like to check out Lemon Sorbet and others...

  24. #24

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeScot View Post
    Hello Sentsual.

    I am gla to hear that you found the Etro fragrances in Oslo, how much did they cost there (in NOK is ok, as I have been to Oslo several times).

    If I am heading back to Norway any time soon I might have to ask where this stockist is! Cant get it in Scotland as far as my knowledge goes unfortunately. Would really like to check out Lemon Sorbet and others...
    I'll check on Tuesday to see if they still have them (especially the Lemon Sorbet - I feel like I might be hijacking this thread. )

    Otherwise, I'd try - for samples - www.theperfumedcourt.com

    I've purchased safely online from the following which seem to have Etro:
    www.theperfumeshoppe.com
    www.beautyencounter.com
    www.fragrancenet.com

    (We don't have Sephora, Barneys, Nordstroms or BG etc. etc. so we have to do our shopping in webshops )

  25. #25

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Filene's Basement had many of the Etro frags for about $45.00 each....not as cheap as the 20 bucks others found at Le Marshalls but still a good price. I tried the Lemon Sorbet but opted instead for the Shaal Nur. There was also Ambra.....couldn't decide between the two. There was also a huge selection of Annick Goutal......I got Mandragore and Les Nuits d'Hadrien for 39.00 each......there was also a %15-off coupon out now that can be used. Was hoping to find Sables but no luck.

  26. #26

    Cool Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Goutal and Etro seem to use the same distribution channels over here. Stores that carry one brand also have the other. I have not bought Gomma yet, but I am going to. It makes a much stronger statement than Bulgari Black does which is altogether more delicate. There is hardly anything feminine in Gomma, and it really lasts very well. I'll be curious how this and MDM will perform in the summer. Only then do I really know a perfume. So far I have not thought of testing Lemon Sorbet, because the Hadriens are just within reach from it, and I do not even know Les Nuits de H yet ( this summer I will ).

    Does anybody know how synthetic Etro's compositions are? They appear to smell natural, but if we like it or not, the nose is not all that reliable when it comes to detecting chemistry in a composition. Turin at least keeps saying that, and he should know!
    Last edited by narcus; 25th March 2008 at 07:01 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    Sure enough! That store in Oslo (Garbo) still carries Etro. The bad news is that they had discontinued the Lemon Sorbet. (They were fascinated that their store had been discussed on the internet!). One of th ladies explained that LS didn't seem to last long on the skin and, hence, it didn't sell as well.

    I did get quite a number of paper samples of some of the others: Royal Pavillion, Musk, Dianthus, Millefiore (a nice 'lilac'), and Etra. All very nice and 'sophisticated' - was my 'topnotes' impression. I have a hunch that Etro fragrances might be best in the opening, or?? More sampling will be needed surely. One should have nine lives to enjoy these fragrances. To be saved for later threads.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Lemon Sorbet by Etro

    I've owned both of these and the lemon sorbet is a good un for the warmer weather an earthy citrus with a hint of spice i'd describe it ,as for the messe de menuit i bought mine in late spring in the uk and wore it through the summer i liked it but there was always this little hint of mustiness about it ,a sort of smell like a bit of grass on the spike of a cricket boot or golf shoe left over from the previous season anyway as my girlfriend liked it i took it to rhodes with me and this fragrance just became something else in the dry heat of rhodes ,all mustiness gone with a dry slightly bitter orange note to open and drying down to a spicy dry incense that if i lived in that climate would make this my number 1 incense fragrance so far.
    So if you live in a dry heat part of the world don't be afraid to give it blast because it's the fragrance that has mutated the most that i've tried due to humidity levels,hence i think i can understand why Mikeperez living in Florida would not think it suitable for summer as i understand it gets a little sultry down that part of the world.

Similar Threads

  1. Azzaro Chrome - poor mans Etro lemon sherbet..?
    By jenson in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15th April 2008, 02:18 PM
  2. Lemon or verbena scent?
    By Herb_Lady in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 23rd December 2007, 04:29 PM
  3. A perplexing Etro question.....
    By helg in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 31st August 2006, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •