Code of Conduct

Default Teetering on the fence...

So you've sampled all you can, and every time you do you're completely gung-ho for it, but then at the same time you're not. You can't get enough of it, but do you really want to smell like that?

This is what is going through my head with Patchouli 24. When I first opened my sample vial...ok so they found a way to capture all my old family camping trips into a fragrance...on my skin...instant scent flashback. I've worn it a few times, almost through my sample vial, every few days I open it up and get that ridiculously smokey smell of burning campfire wood while grilling over it. I can't decide if I want to smell like this!

So, what are your scents you're teetering on the edge of purchase with? You can't decide if they actually smell good or not...usually there's a clear line.

Default Re: Teetering on the fence...

There's many things in this world that smell fantastic but putting them in a bottle doesn't make it into something that can be worn. That's what Yankee Candles are for. They have a new line of candles called Man Candles. Saved you some money.
    Last edited by silentrich; 2nd June 2012 at 04:47 AM.

There are a couple of things that I admire from an intellectual point of view, but would never wear; the tannery called Complex by Boadicea is one - in this case, it's on my to buy list, as a reference, not for wearing.

Incidentally, regarding Patch 24, after several hours it becomes a very smooth woody. But the first few hours are, indeed, explosion at a chemical factory. I love it. If you want to go straight to the drydown, you may also want to consider the body oil, which is much smoother, but, for a body oil, rather long lasting (though nowhere near as long lasting as the near-eternal perfume).

cacio

Blog Entries

The new CdG perfume in the molten bottle. I love it, but buying it seems so pointless, since i just don't have any desire to actually wear it out. It's like cacio said - something of a reference, but also something of an artwork.

Straight to Heaven is a more sensible teetering. I love it and wear it, but samples are enough to get by for now.

Teetering on buying the LM line of fragrances. Waiting for the Euro to weaken a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Teetering on buying the LM line of fragrances. Waiting for the Euro to weaken a bit more.
    That's where I am with Divine l'Homme Sage.

Musc Ravaguer, keep going back to the sample. I know I'm supposed to love it based on the rave reviews and I like it quite a bit but I hate musky animalic notes so I'm torn.

I usually teeter with things that cost less than $50. Anything more than that I make up my mind fairly quickly about. Something like Patch 24 I will ask myself -How much will I actually use this? usually the answer is- Not enough so this sample will probably last 3 years.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    There are a couple of things that I admire from an intellectual point of view, but would never wear; the tannery called Complex by Boadicea is one - in this case, it's on my to buy list, as a reference, not for wearing.
    This ^^^ plus a couple more fragrances from Sissel Tolaas. They smell absolutely interesting but way too conceptual to be work on a daily basis. On the other hand, beside my love for extremely classic Guerlains, I'm also a big sucker for artsy avant-garde stuff so I should probably make up my mind and pull the trigger....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I had a similiar experience with MPG Parfum d' Habit. Its a good earthy green outdoor scent but their was this incense/pine note coming from the heart of the scent that spoiled the show. I tried to get over it but could not, if it was not for that note I would have purchased it.

M/Mink is the one for me at the moment. I've been lazily circling it for months now.

Eau Noire. I like it because it's so different than most everything and today was about as close to firing down on it as I've gotten. But I couldn't 'cause I kept thinking to myself that it's a novelty and though I like it here in the Dior store where it's as glamourous as it'll ever be, will I reach for this frag that I'm not even sure I like when it's among frags I bought because I luv? I've had it in my hand three times in the last month and not fired down. A bud had recently reenforced the idea that it smells a bit like New Haarlem, which is something I had arrived at independently and that makes this frag a bit easier to wrap my head around. I don't know, I might be coming around on it but as of now I'm teetering on the fence.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Blog Entries

I may teeter for a while but eventually fall decisively on one side or the other. I keep getting samples until the teetering ends.
    Right now I'm teetering over Jaisalmer.

Banned

Frederic Malle is one of my favorite Houses. And, Portrait of a Lady thereof is a constant source of ambivalence for me.

Paco Rabanne's Black XS

I really like the smell--it's unique, and IMO, well-done. But when I catch myself out there in the grocery line or out with some friends and suddenly realize "I smell like a strawberry," I get a little self-conscious.

So I sold the bottle.

But now I kind of want it back, and I'm thinking about buying it again, but know I probably won't wear it much if I do.

I don't teeter much. I either like it to buy it or don't like it.

In regards to P24. It is a really nice perfume. The first few times I smelled it I was overwhelmed but intrigued enough to postpone further testing. Six months later I bought a 100ml of it. Yes it starts out strong but a couple of hours into it the tar note subdues and the whats left is a more restrained tar - woods and vanilla accord.

In the same light, you may want to try Cuir Amethyste by Armani. Just add violets to the accord.

for swap/sale:

Narciso Rodriguez for Him. It's a wonderful smell since it reminds of a shampoo I once used when I was a kid. So when I sampled it it instantly brought back memories. Although I liked NR for Him, I was kind of disappointed because it's not something I want to smell like.
    On the other hand, I sprayed some of the sample on a piece of paper earlier today, and now that I smell the dry down on paper it smells amazing. If the dry down is truly like that I just might get it after further testing. Maybe.

Lush Dirty, smells interesting but felt uncomfortable wearing it, which is rare, as it didn't smell like perfume to me.
    Van Gils, can't decide if this is an extremely manly classic or cheap nastiness, or both.
    Plenty of very sweet scents which I like or like in parts..but then again find too sweet to wear.
    Some reformulated scents, that border on smelling cheap/thin now.

I think I'll probably end up with a 15ml of patchouli 24, I honestly can't see myself wearing it more than that.