Code of Conduct

Default CB I Hate Perfume

I'm back on Saturday -- Sunday's little morning session failed to capture my imagination. I tried Vetiver -- nice and dry grass/earthy soft scent, a trace of powder.

Olive Blossom was a strange one. Aromatic along the lines of camphor but not, not eucalyptic either. A tad sour -ish with a floralized feel.

Grape Leaf was a strange one. Green and fermented -- kinda reminded me of my kitchen compost container a couple day after I should have taken it outside.

I'd never wear any of them, that's for sure, but they were interesting and unusual accords. I have five samples of CBIHP, but not from Luckyscent. I've always wanted to try Black March and when Luckyscent skipped that one I shot off in a fit of frustrated craving to the CB homesite and ordered it. Black March, Winter 1972, Mr. Huelitt's Holiday, CB Musk, To See a Flower, and Cradle of Light. I'd had a pass along of Mr. H's H before and was impressed with it. I wanted it again even though I haven't cracked this teeny teeny tiny bottle yet.

Winter 1972 actually seems like a softer, more pleasant grandchild or second cousin of Olive Blossom and Grape Leaf. It has a frost bitten, cold bitter/sour/clean body with a soft effervesence that recalls the note is Olive Blossom. It is much less raw, and also softened with some un-nameable blender/tart green/floralizer (think iris.) It has some depth and is smooth, oddly comforting. The green aspect would be along the lines of an evergreen, but not pine, fir, or juniper or any other evergreen that actually exists. There is probably some note similiar to Snow (which I've never tried) as it's cold and wet, and perhaps ozonic as well. It has a less of a snow feel than perhaps the crunch of an icicle plucked from some odd winterberry (but not wintergreen) bush that mingles with the frozen air, the traces of your grandma's famous chest rub, and a bit of the soap she used to wash your face. You are remembering the plain jarred rhubarb she made you open for a winter pie. I guess she has arthritis. Definately at Grandma's house out in the vast and silent country, tramping about her neatly cut down bearded iris bed, wondering if this won't be the last big snow before this dead and frozen garden comes to life, and if she's gonna expect you to eat a piece of this rhubarb pie. You take your icicle back inside, and damn, she uses that same washcloth to wipe your runny nose yet again.

Heh, heh, I wrote this as I tried it here for the first time.

Does anyone have other opinions on any CB IHPs? Has anybody tried any of the CB accords? Does anybody else see the CB accords as upscale deja vu Demeter ? Are they better/longer lasting/different?
    Last edited by Shycat; 17th June 2007 at 03:16 AM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: CB I Hate Perfume

Great thread Shycat.

I have kept my distance from CBIHP scents mostly because I'm afraid that I am GOING TO LIKE THEM TOO MUCH. And they ain't cheap. I'm sure I'm not alone, in this.

I have tried Burning Leaves (a Basenoter decanted some for me). The ABSOLUTELY best smoke scent I have ever worn. Hands down. I went thru my decant lightning fast.

I can't wait to try more of them. I want Gathering Apples, Black March and that new one that's based upon his grandfathers pipe tobacco note: Greenbriar 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have tried Burning Leaves (a Basenoter decanted some for me). The ABSOLUTELY best smoke scent I have ever worn. Hands down. I went thru my decant lightning fast.
    Better than Lonestar Memories.?? (Oh God - please say no!!) I haven't even tried the Demeters yet, and....and...and...
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

The oils I've tried smell extremely good but lack serious substance and longevity isn't their fortune. Skin scents (at best), they're sort of like sucking air through a bent straw. Burning Leaves is simple though evocative, smells like the air in late October, but I'd have to slather it on in copious amounts in order to get any satisfaction. Even then I don't think it would do the job. CB needs to beef it up. He hates perfume and I don't appreciate not being able to get off on what he makes.

I haven't tried the water based stuff. I was thinking of buying the water based Burning Leaves to see what it's like. The smell of late October always gets me off to some extent.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th June 2007 at 04:40 AM. Reason: V20GMid

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Better than Lonestar Memories.?? (Oh God - please say no!!) I haven't even tried the Demeters yet, and....and...and...
    Sorry - I haven't tried Lonestar...

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The oils I've tried smell extremely good but lack serious substance and longevity isn't their fortune. Skin scents (at best), they're sort of like sucking air through a bent straw. Burning Leaves is simple though evocative, smells like the air in late October, but I'd have to slather it on in copious amounts in order to get any satisfaction. Even then I don't think it would do the job. CB needs to beef it up. He hates perfume and I don't appreciate not being able to get off on what he makes.

I haven't tried the water based stuff. I was thinking of buying the water based Burning Leaves to see what it's like. The smell of late October always gets me off to some extent.

I tried the water based version of Burning Leaves and yes, I overapplied to get it to last. And it did for about 4-5 hours, which was fine for me. If it was more tenacious, it might've gotten annoying. I used Burning Leaves like Dirt (Demeter) - to spike up many of my light scents that got kinda boring. It layers extremely nice.

Sorry - I haven't tried Lonestar...I tried the water based version of Burning Leaves and yes, I over applied to get it to last. And it did for about 4-5 hours, which was fine for me. If it was more tenacious, it might've gotten annoying. I used Burning Leaves like Dirt (Demeter) - to spike up many of my light scents that got kinda boring. It layers extremely nice.
    I used up my sample of Lonestar or I'd pass it on...meantime, thanks for these layering suggestions.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Yesterday I tried the Black March. I suppose this line could be Demeter to the third power. I was astounded by the complex emotional impact. It had Bluebells sense of fresh hyacinth bud of spring, and with a bit of earthy violet....but in a haunted dark forest, where each crack of a twig makes you jump, and the trails of mist seem dangerous. The sense of darkness, livng in a shadow world where a sunbeam never strikes. Bluebell gone goth.

I didn't test it for longevity, but although I'm way happy to have these to sniff, I don't think I could handle the onslaught of Winter 1972 or Black March as a SOTD. They're both almost painfully poignant.

Well, that did it. Went and ordered the Lavender Tea and the Burning Leaves and the figgy thing - Revelation?

I hope you guys are satisfied.

Ack, I'm late to the discussion!

CB ain't for everyone, and some of his stuff can be astoundingly simple...but even when simple, they pack an amazing emotional wallop.

I own Burning Leaves, and the only reason I don't own more is cuz I'm BROKE. lol.

I have samples of the new stuff on their way to me...looking forward to Wild Hunt especially.

As for them being upscale Demeters--yes and no. I think of Demeters as one-note wonders--maybe more like CB accords than the perfumes themselves?...the CB perfumes I've tried tend to be more like experiences in time (I'm not saying they last long, though, even in absolute form).

The new stuff? THE NEW STUFF??? I'll go back to the site, now that I'm clued into Burning Leaves, but I don't recall Wild Hunt there. Maybe I missed it.

Yes, it is a disservice to say upscale Demeter. CB IHP is much more complex and shifting, even though it shifts quickly in a two hour span. I think the vision is the same--unusual, impacting fragrances, VERY different from the mainstream. So far (which ain't far at all) they seem like a very personal scent treat for the wearer. They are a fragrance experience.

I've been flirting with getting some CBIHP samples for a long time, but they are kinda pricey. interesting to see the comparisons to Demeter - because I *think* CB himself did most of the Demeter Fragrance Library up until just a couple of years ago (if I'm not mistaken...?)
    --------------------------------------
    oops, hit post before i meant too.

anyhow, i have tried Gathering Apples (mmmmm) and his musk is to die for, if you like musk. would recommend both of those to anyone interested
    Last edited by rentboy; 19th June 2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've got a bottle of At the Beach 1966 on the way after the 25% off luckscent.com coupon last week.. Supposed to arrive on Thursday and there's no doubt there will be Coppertone oozing from this cube on Friday
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I've got a bottle of At the Beach 1966 on the way after the 25% off luckscent.com coupon last week.. Supposed to arrive on Thursday and there's no doubt there will be Coppertone oozing from this cube on Friday
    Enjoy - wore this for SnS Saturday, you can read my comments on the old board (if you haven't already). I think I wore the water (not the oil).

The one that I would love to try is The Wild Hunt, it sounds amazing.

Barry

Shycat has nailed it for me - these frags evoke all sorts of sensations and memories.

The figgy Revelations is beautifully figgy....my Nanny's family's farm in Jersey. Burning Leaves is teenage years hanging out on our bikes under the corner streetlight on twilight Autumn evenings in the 'burbs...Lavender Tea reminisces afternoon tea dances aboard the Ile de France. They pack a real punch - longevity is two to three hours max (on my bod, anyway) and are utterly unique.

Mike, that was the water perfume version of ATB'66 that I sent.

Prince Barry, Wild Hunt is worth a test if you're looking for a deep earth and forest scent. The top notes smell like peat moss and fresh dirt, then it smells just like twigs freshly snapped from trees, a hint of decaying leaves on the forest floor, and a touch of green pine needles. Incredibly realistic but sadly, longevity is an issue with this one. The scent faded almost to nil after about 5-6 hours. If only the fresh dirt notes in the top could stick around awhile. A very intriguing fragrance nonetheless.
    Last edited by Sloan; 7th August 2007 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Mike, that was the water perfume version of ATB'66 that I sent.

Prince Barry, Wild Hunt is worth a test if you're looking for a deep earth and forest scent. The top notes smell like peat moss and fresh dirt, then it smells just like twigs freshly snapped from trees, a hint of decaying leaves on the forest floor, and a touch of green pine needles. Incredibly realistic but sadly, longevity is an issue with this one. The scent faded almost to nil after about 5-6 hours. If only the fresh dirt notes in the top could stick around awhile. A very intriguing fragrance nonetheless.
    Thanks for the info sloan. Your description makes me want to try it even more now.

Barry

Me too.

The ATB1966 came early and I'm wearing it today. I tried it last night and I swear it was gone in 2 hours.. but it was an insanely humid and hot evening and I was walking around outside. It's been on for 5 hours today and I'm still smelling it and loving it
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    ... interesting to see the comparisons to Demeter - because I *think* CB himself did most of the Demeter Fragrance Library up until just a couple of years ago (if I'm not mistaken...?)...
    Yep, it was his first company.. He was there until 2004 and did all of the scents prior like Dirt and Snow (I read his website )
    Last edited by jrd4t; 9th August 2007 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

I'll copy my review of At the Beach 1966, from the EmergencyBasenotes site, that I posted last Saturday:

My aquatic of the day is: At The Beach 1966 by CB I Hate Perfume

I wore it twice today, so I'll break it down chronologically:

1st application - about 7 sprays: Faint grapefruity opening reminded me strongly of Be Delicious (for women) or Calyx by Prescriptives. I was a little taken aback, I wasn't getting any 'beach' references. The top notes when they calmed down got a little soapy (shampoo?) and then honestly the scent faded in about an hour. Perhaps this was due to the blinding high humidity today - I was inside cleaning the kitchen all day and working with industrial cleaners so perhaps it wasn't the best scenario for a CDIHP scent to 'work'. My first thought about ATB1966 was disappointment.

2nd application - about 15 sprays: Decided to overapply ATB1966 - why not? Upon immediate application I 'got' the suntan lotion salty skin accord. Yay! Where was it the first time? Funny thing - CBIHP has managed not only to replicate the smell of suntan lotion application on the beach, but the smell of suntan lotion from THE SIXTIES! Duh. No current brand of suntan lotion that I have smelled, smells like ATB1966. I immediately got a childhood olfactory memory pop up this time. Which, is what I was expecting from a CBIHP scent, after all I have read about them. However, maybe due to the humidity, it still faded really fast. Now when I smell my skin up close - I get that shampoo/soap accord (smells like shampoo from the sixties too...some brand that I can't seem to name now...). It's a little campy but it works.

I can't imagine owning this - I have so much more scents that are aquatic that I enjoy more: New West by Aramis; Silver Mountain Water (atleast the first 20 minutes of it) and the Hermes Jardin's. But - its a fun 'trip-down-memory-lane' scent and I'd love to smell this on a child. I think it would smell great.

I can attest to pretty much every word of that ^^^^

...and for both applications and effects of a hot and humid environment (just up the street of sorts)
    It makes me think of tan Ocean Pacific shorts with brown piping and flip flops sitting on Virginia Beach when I was a kid.

The only difference is that I do like it enough to keep wearing

Basenotes Institution

I got to try, Greenbriar 1968, today - thanks to sloan_8013. Wow.

I initially got the strong 'greasy garage gloves' note that CBIHP mentions - so naturally, it reminded me of a CdG Synthetic scent (Garage). The grease note calms down slightly (it never gave me a headache, like I expected it to, though) and then becomes 'cedar chip board / closed up garage in an old wooden house' smell. Total olfactory fairy tale scent.

Now, about an hour after application, the wood notes are reminding me of when I shop for Christmas trees in the winter - walking around, smelling all the cut trees, sawdust all over the soft earth, etc. And a little 'hay' thrown in too, warming up the scent and not making it too mothball-ish.

I kept getting also the mental image of pruning shears from G1968. Which is coincidental, 'cause Demeter has a 'Pruning Shears' scent that Francis Kurkdjian did - that I have yet to smell, but I have heard good things about. Dirty slightly rusted metal, perhaps, is the best way too describe it.

Drydown is smoky. Think pipe tobacco - NOT burning pipe tobacco, but perhaps the scent of pipe tobacco unlit, in its dry ground up leafy state. That smell. Reminds me a little of the drydown of Terre d'Hermes, minus the flint.

I think I am testing the oil. No, Michael?

Unlike my encounter with At The Beach (loved its pop culture campiness...but I have 'beach' scents I love more), If I could afford Greenbriar 1968 I would buy a bottle.

I got to try, Greenbriar 1968, today - thanks to sloan_8013. Wow.

I initially got the strong 'greasy garage gloves' note that CBIHP mentions - so naturally, it reminded me of a CdG Synthetic scent (Garage). The grease note calms down slightly (it never gave me a headache, like I expected it to, though) and then becomes 'cedar chip board / closed up garage in an old wooden house' smell. Total olfactory fairy tale scent.

Now, about an hour after application, the wood notes are reminding me of when I shop for Christmas trees in the winter - walking around, smelling all the cut trees, sawdust all over the soft earth, etc. And a little 'hay' thrown in too, warming up the scent and not making it too mothball-ish.

I kept getting also the mental image of pruning shears from G1968. Which is coincidental, 'cause Demeter has a 'Pruning Shears' scent that Francis Kurkdjian did - that I have yet to smell, but I have heard good things about. Dirty slightly rusted metal, perhaps, is the best way too describe it.

Drydown is smoky. Think pipe tobacco - NOT burning pipe tobacco, but perhaps the scent of pipe tobacco unlit, in its dry ground up leafy state. That smell. Reminds me a little of the drydown of Terre d'Hermes, minus the flint.

I think I am testing the oil. No, Michael?

Unlike my encounter with At The Beach (loved its pop culture campiness...but I have 'beach' scents I love more), If I could afford Greenbriar 1968 I would buy a bottle.
    Yes, you are testing the absolute oil. In my experience, GB 1968 smells like a metal toolshed that contains wood scraps, a lawnmower, and other indigenous items.

Does anyone know if he ships to the UK for a reasonable price? Some of those look very interesting.

I've been dying to try this line too! Unfortunately it doesn't look like the site ships outside the US, and Luckyscent doesn't sell these samples...grr....

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NouvelleVague View Post
    I've been dying to try this line too! Unfortunately it doesn't look like the site ships outside the US, and Luckyscent doesn't sell these samples...grr....
    The Perfumed Court sells CBIHP decants. That's where I bought Black March and Gathering Apples.

I wore Black March last night and it is truly sublime. I felt like a twelve year old kid, playing in my back yard, the sun just going down and my mom calling me into dinner...THAT SMELL. In a bottle. Amazing.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks so much for the tip! I've just placed an order with them and Black March and Gathering Apples were on my list!

I recently got my samples from Perfumed Court (there was a thread discussing how $$$ their decants are, but I'm super happy with my packages from them--much nicer and professional looking than other samples I've gotten in the past from Aedes and Luckyscent...plus they fill those samples to the brim!).

Russian Caravan Tea - this is probably my favorite of the CBs so far. I agree with some of the other reviewers that it's not a dark smoky tea at all. To me it's like a bright, gunpowder green tea with a touch of smokiness. And a hint of bergamot! I'll probably be buying this one in the future.

Black March - I thought I would love this, but I don't. It smells exactly like wet soil after it rains in spring. I love that smell, but I don't see how I could wear this unless I wanted to smell like I was just rolling around on the wet grass outside. Hmm, maybe after a secret tryst with the gardener?

Gathering Apples - Just like a freshly cut apple. A little sweet, very fresh and juicy. I'd love this more if the drydown didn't turn slightly synthetic.

Winter 1972 - Similar to Black March, but I like this much more. There's that smell of wet earth, but it's less organic/green smelling, and it reminds me of melting frost on branches. Also, some lemon is in there somewhere. It's very nice, but perhaps a tad cold and masculine for me.

CB93 Reinvention - Yikes, this was the worst of the lot. I just don't get it...aldehydic, musty, bitter and sour. There's also some kind of spice note that smells medicinal to me. I really didn't get this one.

Revelation - Really interesting...I keep sniffing this, trying to figure out what it is. It's light, slightly frosty....I think I'll be sniffing this over and over again.

Tea/Rose - I fell in love with this instantly! A real single, rose note. And there's the real smoky, black tea! The tea doesn't stick around long on my skin like the rose does (this had the most lasting power of the CBs I tried), and it's such a classy, non-fussy feminine scent. I love layering this with...

Burning Leaves - Wow. I love pairing this up with Tea/Rose. Love it. I'll definitely be getting these two and wearing them together.

Basenotes Institution

Great reviews NV.

You're not the first one that had confusion about Revelation, although I've never smelled it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I love Burning Leaves and Tea Rose together too but gave away Burning Leaves 'cause it last about three femtoseconds on me. Waaaah.

Revelation is my absolute figgy favorite - it blooms wonderfully on me and I am saving up molto pennies for this one!!