Code of Conduct

Default My Starter Post!

Hello to all basenoters Am relatively new to the amazing-smelling world of fragrances, and stumbled upon this site while googling for something or other. I learn more reading through here and randomly browsing the rest of the internet, so it was more or less love at first site (pun intended!). Was mighty upset when the site went down for a couple of weeks last week but everything's fine and good now. And since I missed it so much I decided when it came back up I'd register and start becoming a contributing member of the community, so here I am.

My scent story - it all started a couple of weeks ago, when I was hanging around an airport duty free lounge with a couple of hours to kill before my flight. I started browsing scents, a friendly salesperson approached me and one thing led to another. Next thing I knew I walked out clutching ck's eternity summer.

(Un)Fortunately, it didn't just stop there. My next two 'informed' purchases were Carolina Herrera's 212 and Acqua di Gio. I really like ADG, but the jury's still out on 212. There's a very incense-like base note that I'm not sure if I like or not. Love the bottle though!

And now for my problem. My next (and most recent) 'shopping spree' involved 4 different purchases, all involving extensive research both from here and elsewhere. The store I visited had insanely cheap prices, but the problem is, they didn't have any testers available, so I was essentially buying blind. I figured, it shouldn't matter, right? I've done my research. These scents all come highly recommended by multiple people/sources.

But how wrong I was! My purchases were (in no particular order):
    Chrome - Apparently, I couldn't go wrong with this. But it seems to have a base very similar to 212, except even sharper.
    Very Irresistible - I like the creamy sweetness, but am still undecided on how well it works as a scent.
    Terre d'Hermes - Extremely antiseptic smell, which totally does not work for me.
    Thierry Mugler - While not antiseptic, seems 'soapy'. Fresh, but am not sure I want to smell like soap.

Am now rather unsure of the way forward. Half of me is tempted to stick to 'safe' scents. I think I like fresh oceanic/citrusy scents, so currently on my radar are L'eau D'Issey and some Bvlgari. Aqva maybe. Among other things. The other half is still adventurous and hopeful/willing to try and discover new and wonderful scents. Chanel Egoiste Platinum, Guerlain's Vetiver, Creed's Silver Mountain Water/Green Irish Tweed/Millesme Imperial all come very highly rated, am wary of taking the plunge.

Which I guess is a very, very roundabout way of saying. What should I try next? Other than just about every aquatic scent, that is. Am willing to consider just about everything, except that it should preferably be mainstream so as to be easily obtainable.

Oh, and on a rather related note, I can't seem to find anything by Creed where I live. If I order off the internet I'll essentially be buying blind, so... ungh.

Default Re: My Starter Post!

Welcome! Testing in advance is a good habit to get into early on. Just because 90% of the reviewers of a scent love it doesn't guarantee that you will. Many online sellers have a sample program, including those who sell the Creeds. I happen to really like most of the scents on your "prospect" list...but YOU might not like 'em.

Best regards,

Mike

If you like the cirtusy fresh types, I strongly suggest Iceberg Twice by Iceberg. Alot dismiss it on being cheap, but let me assure you that's not the case. There's nothing remotely cheap about the box, bottle, and certainly not the fragrance. I once wore this for a month straight and still reach for it often.

Hello and welcome to basenotes mebership.

You have enough "safe" scents right now, so I would either stop buying before the wallet runs out of funds or expand to something new. Those safe scents get boring after a while and I think it would be better to look out for slightly different olfactory interest.

Geir by Geir Ness is a good choice either way. You'll deffinately find that one...

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    Hello and welcome to basenotes mebership.

You have enough "safe" scents right now, so I would either stop buying before the wallet runs out of funds or expand to something new. Those safe scents get boring after a while and I think it would be better to look out for slightly different olfactory interest.

Geir by Geir Ness is a good choice either way. You'll deffinately find that one...
    umm, i'll find that one... what?
    by non-safe scents do you mean scents by niche houses? do you have a few to recommend to kickstart my adventure into new territory?

Quote Originally Posted by elleana View Post
    umm, i'll find that one... what?
    by non-safe scents do you mean scents by niche houses? do you have a few to recommend to kickstart my adventure into new territory?
    You said you could find some of the Creeds, but Geir is easy to find in stores so you wont have as much trouble with it.

And I don't mean niche at all. There are plenty of designer scents that you can find that
    shy away from the everyday fresh/clean scent. You could go for woody or oriental scents. I would try Rive Gauche by YSL, Dior Homme, John Varvatos, and Gucci pour Homme. Those are different but just as good (better IMO). I would just test everything the stores near you have. There are so many threads on basenotes about them all anyway. It will help you build up your knowledge of a large number of scents.