Code of Conduct

Default Exfoliant - best brand

Hello. So I decided to buy an exfoliant.
    I was always with dry skin in the forehead. For more hidratant I used it didn't make effect.
    A friend told me it should be better to use an exfoliant because a layer of dead skin accumulates and the no hidratant can pass that layer and treat skin.
    I also made a search in the web and find out I had a skin that is dry, pigmented, resistent, wiht some tendency to wrinlkes.
    I read I should use an exfoliant 4 times a week.
    I went to a store and this is were my problem started. 5 brands and I didn't know which to buy. I would like to ear your opinion. Which is the best and which should I buy?
    - Clinique
    - Lab Series
    - Biotherm
    - Anthony
    - Clarins
    I also read that Shishedo is very good, on of the best, but I did'nt find in the store.
    I would also like to know which hidratant should I use. I use Hydranorme from La Roche Possay and wash my skin with a new product from L'Oreal - Wash Gel with Mentol.
    Which other products should I use (eyes, serum, ????) and of which brands?

Micael

Default Re: Exfoliant - best brand

I have tried many exfoliants and by far the best on is CLINIQUE FACE SCRUB. it is so refreshing on ur skin and is the best for pre shave prep.

My personal bias is that an Exfoliant is not a product you need to spend a great deal of money on. Really it is cleanser with some grit which does not stay on your face for all that long before it gets rinsed off. Basically its purpose is to scrape things off your face so think of it as glorified sand paper. I would go for something like Nivea for Men Exfoliating Face Scrub. It is a good quality product at a reasonable price. I would save my money for the things you leave on your face. For that any of the premium brands is worth looking at. The brand which ultimately works best for you will depend on how you skin chemistry/composition. There is no one brand which is best for everyone. I would suggest going to the store and getting some samples to try.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

In which other things it would be better to save my money?
    What is important to give some more money?

When you look at brands on the market today I would classify them into three groups:

1. There is the mass market brands which emphasize low price.

2. There is the mass market brands which emphasize quality.

3. There are the boutique brands which emphasize quality

Of the three, I would say that the brands in #2 have the best balance of quality and price.

The problem with the boutique brands (#3) is that based upon their production run size and the efficiencies of manufacturing in larger quantities plus the ability to buy larger quantities of the raw materials (usually at a much better price) makes production cost for identical quality products much lower for #2 items. Then you look at the distribution chain... #3 items are sold in high end boutique shops which demand a MUCH higher cut of the final sale price. So based on more efficient production and lower cost distribution, products from #2 cost about half of what identical quality products from #3 do. Now by "identical quality" I'm talking about materials and workmanship, not necessarily results. The boutique brand may have some special formula which makes this premium price worth it. There are a few items which I get from the boutiques which while high priced I feel the results make them worth it but the majority, no, just can't see any better results.

So I guess what I'm saying is that price is a weak indicator of how well a product will work for you once you start looking at the premium mass market brands and boutique brands. At that point it is really about what works best on you so give them an try. If you find a premium mass market brand which you can be happy with, you can save a lot of money but ultimately results are what is important so don't be afraid to get a boutique brand if that is what works best for you.

One thing you will hear over and over again at the boutique shops is you should use the entire product line from one company to get the maximum benefit. Really who benefits most from this is the person who is selling you overpriced products. While it may not be complete BS it is nearly so. As long as you are using products with similar quality and qualities you are not going to miss out on the benefits.

In the end, try things and find what works best for you. Don't get tied into the idea that higher price equals a better product, it does not. Don't be afraid to buy the premium products from the mass market brands, they can be very good, but also don't be afraid to spend the money on boutique products if the results justify the price.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Although I use Sharps scrub most frequently, there is an inexpensive, high quality one you can get on drugstore.com called Booth's Green Apple Exfoliating Scrub that is a seriously heavy duty scrub for occassional use.

I usually use Anthony Logistics orange scrub stuff. It's nice and does a good job but I'm not sure it's any better than St. Ive's. I tried my wife's Biore polishing micro scrub the other night and I swear my skin had "never" felt smoother in my life. It's actually a little expensive for a drug store ...about $12 for only 3 oz. But it really did a job, though. I'm just tired of some of these high end brands making scrubs and cleansers that are so wimpy they hardly do a thing...so what about being gentle on the face....I like it rough myself. Philosophy is one of the higher end brands that I felt was very effective. I really liked it as I sampled my wife's one time but then again, I don't think it was better than some of the drug store stuff.

I think it also depends on how old you/your skin is. You don't really want to be scrubbing away at a 40+ year-old face. I only use an exfoliant once a week (I'm 45) and it does the trick. For the record, I use the Nivea for Men stuff I can get at my local CVS.

for me got to be Korres

Neutrogena's Advanced Solutions Home Microdermabrasion System is not expensive (you used to have to pay to have this done professionally) easy to use and replacement sponges and scrubs are easily available at places like WalMart or the drug store.

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Adv.../dp/B000BI3Q20

A rather primitive way is to just use a washcloth and warm water. I'm maybe half-a-step up with St. Ives Apricot Scrub.

Well, I've got another take on exfoliants...
    Why not go chemical? Something like uremol 10 moisturizes while exfoliating..
    Lac-Hydrin 12 works wonders(it's also stronger) if urea isn't your thing...

They are a little sticky for a regular lotion, but removes dead skin like no other.
    I don't see the problem since I don't exfoliate with this stuff daily...
    But I do know some people put this stuff on before heading to bed every night.lol
    Last edited by kanaires; 16th November 2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Beware they can be strong, so you might have to dilute them with a regular lotion

Thumbs up Re: Exfoliant - best brand

My ultra cheap choice:

honey + fine salt + some lemon juice drops = very effective and moisturizing

or

plain white sugar

Although not necessarily marketed towards men (and remember skincare products don't have little penises or vaginas), Garnier's Nutritioniste makes a really good exfoliant, which happens to come with a tube of spf moisturizer. At target, it runs about $12, and is well worth the price, as it has little fragrance, my sworn enemy when it comes to skincare, as it is often an irritant (see also Clinique for Men, heavy on scent, rough on skin).
    Last edited by bront82; 21st November 2007 at 09:27 PM.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

I know that this is most probably considered "grave-digging" (as in, posting in a 'dead' topic) but I am a male who is absolutely crazy about skin care, so I thought I would post a reply, just in case you cared.

For an exfoliant, one of the best choices is to simply make a paste of baking soda and water, and use that to scrub your face, concentrating on the nose area a bit more. It's great because the granules all have an equal particle size and weight, and that means slightly more even exfoliation with a definite decrease in irritation. The problem with some scrubs is that they use particles like ground up nut shells, and they can have very jagged particles in them, which causes irritation. Also, some of the gentler scrubs with silica beads can be suspended in very irritating solutions with Sodium Laurel Sulfate and other irritating plant oils/additives high up on the ingredient list.

One more thing. Remember that just because it's more costly does not mean that it's better. There are great and horrible products at every price point.

Hope that helps a bit

I'm a big fan of "Swept Clean" by Origins. I like my scrub to be nice and gritty. which this is, but the grit feels like all of the edges have been polished off, so I can feel it working without worrying that it might make my face bleed.

Cetaphil and baking soda. Try this in different proportions and you may never need anything else agin!

Am I the only one in the world who uses a FACE BRUSH to clean and exfoliate my face in the shower. I just lather it up on some Mitchel's Woolfat shaving soap and then go with circular motions on my face to gently deep cleanse and remove dead skin. My skin has never looked better.

I stopped using all those chemical face scrubs as they are very drying on my skin and leave it feeling tight and itchy.

Quote Originally Posted by aljinnie View Post
    Am I the only one in the world who uses a FACE BRUSH to clean and exfoliate my face in the shower. I just lather it up on some Mitchel's Woolfat shaving soap and then go with circular motions on my face to gently deep cleanse and remove dead skin. My skin has never looked better.

I stopped using all those chemical face scrubs as they are very drying on my skin and leave it feeling tight and itchy.
    I have been using a face brush for years. Currently I use it with Neutrogena Men's Razor Defense Daily Face Scrub before I shave (also in the shower). Love it. Not too gritty or harsh to use every day. The grit is rounded beads which does not cut/scratch.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 17th December 2007 at 11:45 PM.

I found a new mens line of grooming and it includes peeling wash-off scrub also.
    It`s Givenchy Man line.
    Peeling fluid, moisturising gel and anti-wrinkle gel are just marvellous! And eye-area care is excellent too!
    Shaving foam is worse, but still better smelling than Gillette or Mennen.

Slightly scented line - a scent reminds me about Narcissus by Fresh Ombre de Flores line.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    A rather primitive way is to just use a washcloth and warm water. I'm maybe half-a-step up with St. Ives Apricot Scrub.
    Yes, my ex-girlfriend used to use St. Ives and introduced me to it. I liked that you could actually FEEL it exfoliating. Much better then those ones that have about 3 beads per use. But scrub too hard and the St. Ives will literally start scrubbing off healthy skin!

I bought a clairsonic skin brush a year ago. It was about $200 but was worth every penny. I use it with a light cleanser such as cetaphyl and an alpha hydroxy cream a few times a week and my skin is always glowing. I will never look back to the world of too harsh/ineffective exfoliants.

Any good salt scrub works, but I find that those with olive oil AND salt work best of all. Another really good exfoliant (esp. for that flaky, dead skin many of us get in the wintertime): dandruff shampoo (should have pyrithione zin in it) and a stiff brush or exfoliant glove. Let the dandruff shampoo rest on your face for at least 2 or 3 minutes before removing. I do this every day during the winter. It really gets rid of that flaky "wintertime" skin between microdermabrasion sessions. (I get those about once every two months.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    I've been using St Ives for years and years and not only does it give you the best bang for your buck - but it really works. At age 60 I have perfectly clear skin

I've been getting it recently from drugstore.com - no taxes and free shipping on orders over 49 bucks - so I get all my household cleaners and stuff too - and get a couple of tubes of St Ives along with them!
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I use Fresh's appleseen resurfacing kit once a week to completely exfoliate. It's a 3 step mask kit and works immediately. It's an AHA and BHA and glycolic treatment. Every night I use their Appleseed Brightening essence (moisturizer with AHA) and I use their Appleseed Brightening exfoliant scrub every other day in the mornings. This works to keep my skin happy and healthy; just remember to use a good sunblock, and to remember to wash and reapply the sunblock in the early afternoon.

Sur la Plage

I like Philosophy's Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash

Smile Re: Exfoliant - best brand

Quote Originally Posted by micael View Post
    Which is the best and which should I buy?
    - Clinique
    - Lab Series
    - Biotherm
    - Anthony
    - Clarins

Micael
    All of the above mentioned exfoliants make my skin irritated and tight. The product that works for me is: Lily of the Desert Aloe 80 clarifying facial scrub. It's made of mostly natural ingredients, and I find it to be an excellent product. You can find it at: www.bytheplanet.com

I am of Portuguese descent, and find that most moisturizers make my skin too oily. So, I use an oil-free spray-on moisturizer called Twinlab NaPCA. (NaPCA is the natural moisturizer found in human skin.) This product also calms the skin with aloe. Find it at: www.webvitamins.com

Best eye product? For me is is: Earth Science Brand Azulene Eye Treatment. You can find it at www.theNewES.com

Boa sorte!

-David Silva
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 15th March 2008 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bront82 View Post
    Although not necessarily marketed towards men (and remember skincare products don't have little penises or vaginas), Garnier's Nutritioniste makes a really good exfoliant, which happens to come with a tube of spf moisturizer. At target, it runs about $12, and is well worth the price, as it has little fragrance, my sworn enemy when it comes to skincare, as it is often an irritant (see also Clinique for Men, heavy on scent, rough on skin).
    Sorry, but I have to correct this. Clinique is not heavy on fragrance. It's whole point is to be relatively light on these things. The scrub has some light menthol in it. But, hands down, if you want something not anemic, and if you use it with plenty of water like you should with all scrubs, it's still the best.

I've strayed around for 18 years to other scrubs, and always come back to Clinique. Its silica (sand) is very fine and even. I've tried some of the 'natural's like St. Ives that use nut shells, etc: the uneven particles can be hard on your skin. And, as mentioned here, some scrubs are just anemic, and very expensive. Nivea, if you don't mind the fragrance, is a good mid-strength daily scrub.

Clinique, though, is refined and, for two or three times a week, is perfect. Leaves the skin with a great texture. And NOT heavily fragranced at all. Lather it with warm water, and you're there.
    Current wardrobe: Guerlain Vetiver, Terre d'Hermes, Safari, Burberry Weekend, Fahrenheit

mensceience.com

I just discovered Men Science and I think their products are first rate.

I have sensitive skin and use microdermabrasion at home (mine is an inexpensive kit by Neutrogena, but there are others) never found anything that worked as well. bossanova_boy has some good recs, he is paying attention to ingredients. I use sodium pca aka as hyaluronic acid. It's in a lot of products now because it works so well. Avalon makes a nice vitamin C serum, too, you can find it in the health food stores or online.

Another line worth checking out is Aubrey Organics, if you go to their website, you'll see travel or sample sized kits for every skin type. I swear by the Rosa Mosqueta toner, which I splash on my face before moisturizing. You could use it after shaving, they have other botanical toners, too.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by micael View Post
    Hello. So I decided to buy an exfoliant.
    I was always with dry skin in the forehead. For more hidratant I used it didn't make effect.
    A friend told me it should be better to use an exfoliant because a layer of dead skin accumulates and the no hidratant can pass that layer and treat skin.
    I also made a search in the web and find out I had a skin that is dry, pigmented, resistent, wiht some tendency to wrinlkes.
    I read I should use an exfoliant 4 times a week.
    I went to a store and this is were my problem started. 5 brands and I didn't know which to buy. I would like to ear your opinion. Which is the best and which should I buy?
    - Clinique
    - Lab Series
    - Biotherm
    - Anthony
    - Clarins
    I also read that Shishedo is very good, on of the best, but I did'nt find in the store.
    I would also like to know which hidratant should I use. I use Hydranorme from La Roche Possay and wash my skin with a new product from L'Oreal - Wash Gel with Mentol.

Micael
    Micael

I use the clinique 3 step for men. I have combination skin, meaning to say that my skin is mostly oily at the T zone area. I would refrain from using clinique's 3 step especially if your skin is dry. The clinique face bar and scruffing lotion are quite drying, the face bar contains menthol and the scruffing lotion which is essentially the toner, is quite high in alcohol content. I would go with biotherm or clarins as their products are not as drying as clinique and they are known to be good for sensitive or dry skin.

Mass market: Every Man Jack pre-shave scrub
    http://everymanjack.com/detail.php?id=4

Artisan: Saint Charles Shave lavender exfoliating scrub
    http://www.saintcharlesshave.com/products.htm
    "Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis"

While the original question is a little old, the subject is always interesting to me. Thus, my .02:

I've found a good balance between cost/quality with the following scrubs:

Crabtree & Evelyn for men (very mild, can be used 2x day)
    L'Occitane Cade face scrub (I now use this 1x day + Cade shaving cream)
    Lab Series face scrub (somewhat more abrasive, not for daily use)

These are all in the $15-20 range and work well. I've tried some of $40+ products and they are truly no better than any of these.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    While the original question is a little old, the subject is always interesting to me. Thus, my .02:

I've found a good balance between cost/quality with the following scrubs:

Crabtree & Evelyn for men (very mild, can be used 2x day)
    L'Occitane Cade face scrub (I now use this 1x day + Cade shaving cream)
    Lab Series face scrub (somewhat more abrasive, not for daily use)

These are all in the $15-20 range and work well. I've tried some of $40+ products and they are truly no better than any of these.
    i 2nd lab series. they pack a good range of specialised facial products for men.... i'll prob switch back to lab series of clarins once im done with clinique.... the 3 step is quite drying, only good thing is that i prefer unscented facial or body products.

I always have a 3 to 7 day beard. I tried baking soda mixed with water and put it on a wash cloth and it worked great. First I washed with a liquid soap and didn't rinse it off until after the exfoliation. This worked great and got my skin super clean for the first time in years.

A lot of ppl say St. Ives' Appricot is too abbrasive - but I like it.

For your face, for a gentler solution, mix table sugar with mineral/olive oil and apply that to your face dry, messaging it in for 1-2 min. Then get in the shower and wash your face.

For the body, buy a pair of exfoliating gloves and use those in conjunction with your shower gel/soap.

My favorite is Baxter of California. I prefer grainy scrub because mild ones such as Anthony's is just a waste of money. Baxter has a mild smell of almonds and is very reasonably priced. $12 for 4 ounces. I also use their oil free moisturizer which is $18 for 4 ounces. It is unscented and doesn't clog my poors. These two products are one of the best I've ever used in those catagories.

I would refer you to Paula Begoun's 'Don't Go to The Cosmetic Counter Without Me" or www.paulaschoice.com. Paula gives you some no nonsense information about what products really work and how much money you can save.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Proactive Deep cleaning is actually a very good cleaner
    try it out
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Another vote for Korres Olive Stones Facial Scrub (little goes a long way) and St Ives. Could be a bit rough for sensitive skin, but I have sensitive skin and they both do a wonderful job for me. The gels with all those microbeads and microcapsules on the other hand are a waste of time IMO.

P.S. I regularly find a lot of Korres products at Marshalls & TJ Maxx discounted to 3-5 bucks, they have excellent Korres body scrubs as well.
    Last edited by maksidrom; 5th March 2009 at 12:46 AM.

Like beachroses, I have sensitive skin and rosacea. As a result, I have to be very careful about using mechanical exfoliants. One that works really well, and causes no redness on me is Two Minute Miracle by Ice Elements.

These are the ingredients:
    Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Butylene Glycol, Carbomer, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Hyaluronic Acid, Green Tea Extract, Burdock Root Extract, Ginseng Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Benzophone-4, Propylene Glycol, Proplyparaben, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Cyanocobalamin.

It's worth noting that the aloe used in Ice Elements' products is pharmaceutical grade.

More often I use a chemical peel from Natura Bisse's line called Glycoline because it's easier and faster. I was able to buy a bottle on eBay of a product they make marked "Only For Medical Use" that is 60% glycolic acid at a ph of 3.7. It only takes a minute to use and is extremely effective. Before getting that I used products from the same line called Glyco Peeling 50% and another called Glyco Extreme Peel.

Shiseido Men - Face Scrub is what I use, often twice a week in the summer humidity. It makes shaving a pleasure and revitalizes my complexion a bit.

Plus.. it lasts FOREVER and the smell is very pleasant, neutral and the packaging is minimalist and just does what it's supposed to.

Clarins is also great, but I found the exfoliant and cleansing gel made me break out.. same with Biotherm. The shave gel and anti-shine moisturizer though is something I can't do without and also last a LONG time.

ORIGIN - Modern Frriction is the best!

Invigorating Face Scrub by Lab Series works very well!
    Craig the Barber
    www.craigthebarber.com
    www.themensroom.com

I think the Clinique scrub is good but I wouldn't recommend it for sensitive and "thin" skin since it's quite harsh (the one we get in Germany at least). For body and face products I can recommend Malin+Goetz, a rather small and family owned company. Everything is top notch and smells great, great textures. Also Dermalogica is nice. The Daily Microfoliant (I wouldn't use it daily - the last thing you want to do is over-exfoliate ) is nice as well. I don't use these brands all the time because of the price and as people said before: cheap exfoliants do the job - you can even take sugar and oat with yoghurt or something like that.
    Also if a scrub makes you break out I don't think it's the scrub's fault per se.

Some people recommended olive oil but as far as i know it's NOT non-comedogenic so I wouldn't use it unless you have dry skin and no problems with break-outs.

St Ives apricot scrub. Really good. Perfect sized "grits" and available in most stores.

Not one to generally use these types of things, but my ex had "Sea Salt" from Lush that I thought was pretty good. Expensive though.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

I personally only use chemical exfoliants. Paula's Choice 2% Liquid Exfoliant. Most manual exfoliants are not skin friendly. Shaving every day is also a form of exfoliation, so be very careful what you use on your face. If not, your face will pay a price.

I've only ever come across two type - the harsh ones like the St Ives Apricot scrub, or the mild ones with thousands of litlle balls suspended in gooey liquid, like the Nivea for Men one.

They should produce different results, but they all seem equally effective to me.

The packets usually say they should only be used no more than twice a week, which is sound advice. I find them particularly useful for eliminating very fine acne around cheek bones (which is hard to see without close examination, but it's there, and can be felt).
    Regards,
    Renato

I've only ever come across two type - the harsh ones like the St Ives Apricot scrub, or the mild ones with thousands of litlle balls suspended in gooey liquid, like the Nivea for Men one.

They should produce different results, but they all seem equally effective to me.

The packets usually say they should only be used no more than twice a week, which is sound advice. I find them particularly useful for eliminating very fine acne around cheek bones (which is hard to see without close examination, but it's there, and can be felt).
    Regards,
    Renato

I've tried so many and my most frequently used and favourite is L' Occitane's Juniper Bark Scrub with Cade essential oil. Non drying for me and does the job fine. I use it the evening before I shave and works a treat.

I love this stuff

I also like Kyoto Scrub

St Ives, invigorating.