Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1

    Default Which one for an interview

    Hi all

    been a while sine i last posted buy......i have an interview at a very executive firm in london. it is an investment bank. Can people look at my warddrobe and recommend a frag to wear.....i can't make my mind up!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Bulgari pH could be a safe choice. Understated, elegant, yet distinctive.
    Good luck for your interview!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    I'd recommend using your Bulgari pour Homme: classic, confident & sublte.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Bvlgari pour Homme surely is a solid choice. Boucheron pour Homme and Vetiver (Guerlain), as well as Green Irish Tweed (Creed) could also do very well.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    I'm a proponent of the No Frags For Interviews school, especially in your case, as it sounds like you are interviewing for a fairly conservative work environment. To many, cologne carries a connotation of dandified unprofessionalness, and I'd exepect investment firm HR honchos to fall into this category. Would you wear a paisly pocket-square or suede shoes or a Glennplaid suit to the interview?

    I say None Of The Above.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Bulgari pour Homme
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

    Wardrobe

  7. #7

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Boucheron applied lightly to "covered" skin only. Good luck...

    Mike

  8. #8

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Agree with Bulgari PH but Dunhill 2003 is a $1 million buck (or pound in your case) frag on me. Go light with whatever you wear.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo View Post
    I'm a proponent of the No Frags For Interviews school, especially in your case, as it sounds like you are interviewing for a fairly conservative work environment. To many, cologne carries a connotation of dandified unprofessionalness, and I'd exepect investment firm HR honchos to fall into this category. Would you wear a paisly pocket-square or suede shoes or a Glennplaid suit to the interview?

    I say None Of The Above.
    I agree with Joel here! I never heard of someone being hired because of a scent, but I HAVE heard stories by professional interviewers who remember someone's scent only because they did NOT like it.

    I know we're all big about the first impression on these boards, but I don't think job interviews are the appropriate environment to make an olfactory statement.

    I say get the job, and then we'll discuss what to wear on the first day.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    I'd try Eau Sauvage.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    While no fragrance is a safe choice, unless you also go with no deodorant, I would recommend a light spritz of Guerlain Vetiver in the morning. It will be subtle, mild, clean and inoffensively masculine.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 19th June 2007 at 01:57 AM. Reason: spelling error

  12. #12

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Poison Christian Dior
    "Stars when you shine you know how I feel,
    Scent of the crime you know how I feel,
    Your freedom is mine, and I know how I feel
    Its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me
    And I'm feelin good"

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/11718

  13. #13

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Bvlgari PH very lightly sprayed and best of luck.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Bvlgari or GIT, one spray to each chest, with a singlet, shirt and jacket over the top should be enough to prevent overpowering.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

    Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

  15. #15

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Another vote for sans frag. I would save the scents for second week on the job.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    If you go with a fragrance, go very light (one spray to chest or neck) , and go with something not loud such as bulgari PH.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Identify yourself by the stellar answers you give in your interview, not by your scent.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Identify yourself by the stellar answers you give in your interview, not by your scent.

    I don't think the original poster ever intended to let his scent substitute for his answers. I think the idea of asking for a recommendation here is to prevent oneself from wearing something that would be inappropriate ( too loud for the occassion).

    Scents are never meant as replacements for ones shortcomings i think. They however can be used occassionaly to drive across your point about your tastes and the your spending prowess.

    A good scent worn in the right setting can definitely give you that extra bit of attention for that initial moment from where on your 'gray matter' takes over.

    gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 19th June 2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

  19. #19
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    As others have stated, if you're going to wear any, go EXTREMELY light. I love cologne just as much as you, but I don't think it should be worn in this case.

    Give maybe ONE shot of Dunhill or Bulgari PH, unless you have Gendarme. GIT is way too sexy, imo.

    Trust us, your prospective boss isn't going to appreciate your cologne. I'd consider it a breach of ettiquite if I was interviewing someone that smelled like much of anything, good or bad. It just isn't very appropriate and won't add anything to your marketability in this case, unless you have a very easy-going job and your boss is a female and might want to turn the interview into a porno. (which would obviously be ideal....)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  20. #20

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    While no fragrance is a safe choice
    I'm still not sure I agree with this...

    My vote for 'safe choice' is Lanvin L'Homme. 1 spray on your chest before your undershirt. This is a situation where you do not want sillage. The fragrance should not project beyond your personal space. I would feel completely at ease interviewing this way (as a matter of fact, that's what I did the last time I was hired. That and the power suit: dark blue suit, white shirt, my lucky red Brooks tie.)

    hope this helps

  21. #21

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Armani Attitude

  22. #22
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Here's the problem... If you're like me, you probably don't feel "complete" without wearing cologne. (Not really, I mean, but...well, you know what I mean if you're a junkie like me!)

    If this is the case, DO use a bit! (but PLEASE, for your own good, just a little!)

    I also think Armani Attitude is too sexy as well. Just my opinion
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  23. #23

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Guerlain Vetiver

  24. #24

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    I'd choose either Bulgari PH or Boucheron PH.

    The two give me a different "feel" though, so choosing between the two would depend on how I personally wanted to feel for the interview. As others have said, go light!
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

  25. #25

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post
    Armani Attitude
    This would be madness. It's far too sweet and noticeable.

    I will agree with the individuals saying no cologne, but as most people who DON'T concern themselves with scents probably wear some horrible deoderant with "Cool Wave" scent or something, it's not going to hurt you to wear something a lot nicer than that.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    A chunk of gold is nice, but even though nothing is added to it it can be made more appealing by being formed into a ring or whatever. Such is the case here I think, with one difference; Employers are looking for The Gold. They want to form it to their most appealing 'shape'.

    I am not sure of the total submodalities of a successful interview but I would hazard a guess that fragrance wouldn't be in the list.

    If the Interviewer dislikes your fragrance it might well be held against you and if it IS liked, it might well also be held against you. In any interview its always best, emotional intelligence wise, never to seem 'cleverer' than the people who are doing the interviewing.

    If you are sure that you are fit for the job then I would advise you to forget about fragrance and to simply relax into the natural focus of the interview setting.
    Last edited by Guidion; 15th August 2007 at 06:40 AM.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Which one for an interview

    I'm with Joel. Think about how variable people's responses to scent are. If they don't like it, you're just giving them a reason not to like you. If they like you in the interview, it's not going to be because of your cologne. Resist temptation here. (something we BN'ers are not good at, of course).

    I also don't buy the "love me, love my cologne" concept. You can always start wearing your juice after you're hired.

    Good luck getting the job!
    Dave

  28. #28

    Smile Re: Which one for an interview

    Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento View Post
    I'm with Joel. Think about how variable people's responses to scent are. If they don't like it, you're just giving them a reason not to like you. If they like you in the interview, it's not going to be because of your cologne. Resist temptation here. (something we BN'ers are not good at, of course).

    I also don't buy the "love me, love my cologne" concept. You can always start wearing your juice after you're hired.

    Good luck getting the job!
    Dave
    Hi Dave. Great advice, I couldn't agree more.

Similar Threads

  1. Fragrance on an Interview REDUX
    By tiff in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 6th May 2006, 04:55 PM
  2. SSD + job interview = JF?
    By Scentsei in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th September 2005, 10:18 PM
  3. Interview scent?
    By misterbowles in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 21st September 2005, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •