Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle

So since I'm tearing through the Frederic Malle line, scent by scent, I gave Une Fleur de Cassie a full wearing today (thanks Vibert). I never hear many of you guys talk about this scent, so of course that intrigued me.

First of all, I had NEVER heard of 'cassie' in scents. WTF? What is cassie? Well it's actually a distillation of the flower from the acacia tree (also more commonly known as Needle Bush). In the country of Fiji, it is considered a weed (they call it 'Ellingtons Curse'). Link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_farnesiana

So what does cassie smell like? I have no idea.

This is a strange scent (CdG could've done this! I'm serious). It is floral but then it's this strange cereal / dough thing and then it's musky but not in a Musc Ravageur-animalic way but in a dirty dishwater sort of way. This scent kept changing every few minutes into something else. When it finally stopped, it gave off a slight 'powder' note (!) and then disappeared down the rabbit hole.

Maybe this is what cassie smells like?

Do you guys wear this?

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle

:bounce: Told ya it was weird! It does last on me, though.

Another fragrance constructed around acacia (mimosa) is Creeds' Aubepine Acacia (which is wonderful, but a tad too flowery for me).

If I recall correctly, there are different kinds of acacia notes; Ayala did an acacia special on her blog not too long ago and also reviewed Unfleur De Cassie (the blog deserves more attention, theres a lot of useful indepth stuff there!)
    -

Tested this one in the store during my last trip to NYC. Started out slightly floral on top and transformed into something earthy and dark, as if a thin veil was being pulled over my face. The way in which the scent changed brought about a slight sense of unease and dissonance that I slightly enjoyed and found intriguing. One of the most interesting scents I have ever encountered. I hope to have a sample soon so I can give it a full wearing.
    Last edited by Sloan; 19th June 2007 at 04:19 AM.

I wear this one often, it's one of my favourite Malle fragrances. The combination of green, powdery and earthy notes is unique and a bit weird, but utterly fascinating. It reminds me of the atmosphere in a garden on a foggy fall morning, the grass and leaves covered with dew.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    I wear this one often, it's one of my favourite Malle fragrances. The combination of green, powdery and earthy notes is unique and a bit weird, but utterly fascinating. It reminds me of the atmosphere in a garden on a foggy fall morning, the grass and leaves covered with dew.
    Yes, I think thats it Gerald - fog in a garden. That's what it smelled like, as if they've bottled humidity. Not sure if I want to spritz myself with that...I get enough humidity here in Miami already!

It is eccentric so I don't wear it often, but I really like it.
    It reminds me of the tropics--not the beach, pina colada scene, but maybe SE Asia-a courtyard in Phnom Penh, a lacquered wardrobe containing silk sarongs or rare teas, a siesta under a ceiling fan and a sweet, dry as dust mimosa wafting through all the humidity.

James from Les Senteurs (London) likes Une Fleur de Cassie best from FM scents.
    I have got a sample. Well it's surely not for everybody - powdery cassie and mimosa scent..It's nice (as all FM scents), but I would not like to have a bottle (at the moment)
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

In the opening to Une Fleur de Cassie, I get a note that reminds me of Apres l'Ondee. And yet they are so different in character... It makes me think of marzipan, cherries and metal. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it is?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestocking Totty View Post
    In the opening to Une Fleur de Cassie, I get a note that reminds me of Apres l'Ondee. And yet they are so different in character... It makes me think of marzipan, cherries and metal. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it is?
    Well Apres L' Ondee has heliotrope, but I believe the Malle has mimosa (which honestly, my nose confuses heliotrope with mimosa all of the time).
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Agree - there's also a touch of violet in there, I think, that may add to the similarity in feel. This scent says 1930s salon culture to me (not that I know that scene from direct experience) - it's unique and compelling - love it!

This and Carnal Flower have always interested me. I find that pure floral scents often have that dough/yeast accord in the heart.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestocking Totty View Post
    Heliotropin? In isolation, heliotropin smells just as you've described. It is present in both fragrances, and is absolutely central to the design of Après l'Ondée. (I believe heliotropin figures in many "mimosa" accords. Cassie is related to mimosa - both, as far as I know, are species of the genus Acacia.)